Will Viking ever end daily Covid testing?

basenji56

4 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Not true.

Verify has no access to official government records (thank God).

They use some artificial intelligence algorithm to attempt to identify forged records. It’s a feel-good activity and a nice money- maker for Verify.

I didn’t pay anything for VeriFLY…I thought it was just a way to verify vaccine status (for us, it was just verifying records from CVS)… I know someone had to pay the developers of the app, but is someone getting rich from it? Maybe the developers deserve to make money from their knowledge and hard work, I’m just honestly wondering, if it wasn’t me that paid them…who does? I want people/companies to earn money from their own hard work, but I am honestly asking the question here…does Viking pay them? Was the development of the app included in government Covid funding? Whatever it was, I’m grateful, but I would like to know how it is funded?

We are currently onboard Viking Sea. Saliva testing is every morning. They state that they will pick up samples between 8 and 9, but we were at sea today and no one had come to pick anything up by 9:30. You just leave the tubes in your room. It’s not at all disruptive, nor does it keep you from doing anything that you want to do. You also wear a tracking device around your neck any time that you are outside of your stateroom. It’s really not a big deal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RonnBarb said:

We are currently onboard Viking Sea. Saliva testing is every morning. They state that they will pick up samples between 8 and 9, but we were at sea today and no one had come to pick anything up by 9:30. You just leave the tubes in your room. It’s not at all disruptive, nor does it keep you from doing anything that you want to do. You also wear a tracking device around your neck any time that you are outside of your stateroom. It’s really not a big deal.

Orwell would disagree.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Orwell would disagree.

But this passenger would not. I was on the Sea, too, for the transatlantic that connected with Ronn's current cruise. The testing and tracking systems were no big deal. Really, they weren't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I didn’t pay anything for VeriFLY…I thought it was just a way to verify vaccine status (for us, it was just verifying records from CVS)… I know someone had to pay the developers of the app, but is someone getting rich from it? Maybe the developers deserve to make money from their knowledge and hard work, I’m just honestly wondering, if it wasn’t me that paid them…who does? I want people/companies to earn money from their own hard work, but I am honestly asking the question here…does Viking pay them? Was the development of the app included in government Covid funding? Whatever it was, I’m grateful, but I would like to know how it is funded?

Of course someone pays them.

They have to “review” every passenger’s input.

It’s not a charitable organization.

I assume Viking and the airlines pay them.

And do you think CVS allows them to access their customers’ personal

medical records!! Ever hear of HIPPA. ??

You can find a discussion of how Verify works easily online.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Not true.

Verify has no access to official government records (thank God).

They use some artificial intelligence algorithm to attempt to identify forged records. It’s a feel-good activity and a nice money- maker for Verify.

I never said that they had access to government records. 

Edited by Mich3554

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Of course someone pays them.

They have to “review” every passenger’s input.

It’s not a charitable organization.

I assume Viking and the airlines pay them.

And do you think CVS allows them to access their customers’ personal

medical records!! Ever hear of HIPPA. ??

You can find a discussion of how Verify works easily online.

It’s HIPAA.  

• Thanks 1

Well ….I just “Googled” “who pays for VeriFly” and an information site was opened… it appears to me that the selected airlines and cruise companies pay for it…it appears that it is an information streamlining program/app.  I am not hiding, nor am I protecting my vaccine status, so for me, it is really not a privacy issue…only my vaccine status is shared, and it is not a secret…

I think I’m OK with it…I’m glad I didn’t have to buy it separately (yes, I realize the cost is built into our fare), but I do not begrudge an innovator his due…I think the “making money” reference may be shedding a negative impression on a fairly temporal issue… I just don’t think VeriFly will be a “long term” issue, but I applaud an innovator who can think outside the box and make a wage…Who is John Gault? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Not sure "information streamlining" is accurate.  Don't you still have to carry hard copies of everything with you and present them at embarkation?

Well…I do, I think that is just because I’m old… I have to print everything!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, duquephart said:

Lead ship of her class which included Missouri, New Jersey and Wisconsin of the so-called fast battleship force commanded by the legendary "Ching" Lee. Ordered and built before the US Navy figured out that the carrier was to be the capital ship of WW II.

It is indeed a magnificent ship!  We toured it a few years ago.  Wonderful tour.  Had been on the Missouri when it was in Bremerton, WA  (now it is in Hawaii).   It was so very mystical gliding by it in darkness at 4:30 AM on Saturday, the ship making nary a sound, and the Iowa just slowly unfolding as we went by, those big guns very apparent!  Breathtaking!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:21 PM, CCWineLover said:

The issue (for me at least) is that there likely will be a higher chance of testing positive in those daily tests, without any symptoms, for anyone on the ship, even if being careful - especially with people not wearing masks now.  THAT, is the issue.  And being kicked off the ship at worse, quarantined on deck 3 forward, the best, and vacation over - with no symptoms.  And apparently no 2nd chance at potentially having had a false positive.

So, you'd rather wait until your test to return to the US to find out?  In the meantime, you've enjoyed your cruise, while possibly spreading it to others who will test positive when they try to return to the US? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jtwind said:

So, you'd rather wait until your test to return to the US to find out?  In the meantime, you've enjoyed your cruise, while possibly spreading it to others who will test positive when they try to return to the US? 

I believe that is what most people would prefer to do… It has been hard for me to wrap my head around, but I believe you are correct…

23 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Absolutely not!  Don't understand how you read that into my statement.

We absolutely were against Viking removing the mask mandate.  Look at all the cases that transpired since April 1st.   We don't want to get it, we don't want to spread it, and we want to get back into the States.   But there are SO many passengers now who don't care at all.  We just got off our cruise on Orion and it was party time like 2019 - I'd estimate only 5 % wore masks (including us).  Perhaps people have just said the heck with it.  That is definitely NOT us.  Sorry you thought it was.

• Like 5

I'm supposed to leave in a little over a week for a river cruise, however I think we are going to cancel (and my sister's family too) due to the obnoxious daily testing. Worrying every single day that you may test positive is too much. I don't understand why Viking is testing for Covid if you've been vaccinated. You aren't tested for the flu, norovirus or anything else. With the vaccine your chance of getting anything more than cold symptoms are slim. They need to put an end to this testing. You accept the risk when you choose to sail and that should be that. Enough already with testing and the anxiety it will bring daily, not to mention that if kicked off the ship you are on your own in a foreign country. Do you know that even if you have Viking's own insurance you still have to pay for your food and hotel while you quarantine and then you have to save receipts and just hope you get reimbursed?? STOP COVID TESTING ONBOARD!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, kpgclark said:

STOP COVID TESTING ONBOARD!

Agree totally....not that I'm vehemently opposed to the idea of testing per se, but, as you said, the increased chance of winding up positive (with subsequent hassles) could well be a deal breaker for many people. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 2

Just now, AnyWayIsGood said:

What does this thing look like?  

A small white disc (about the size of a half dollar or Euro) at the end of a red lanyard. You can take it off the lanyard and carry it in your pocket if you wish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We just got off our cruise on Orion and it was party time like 2019 - I'd estimate only 5 % wore masks (including us). 

Yep...same on the RCL cruise we did last month. My relatives are on the same ship and just told me that the Windjammer went back to self-serve. Lots of mixed feelings on that move. And, basically no pax wearing masks. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

16 hours ago, kpgclark said:

I'm supposed to leave in a little over a week for a river cruise, however I think we are going to cancel (and my sister's family too) due to the obnoxious daily testing. Worrying every single day that you may test positive is too much. I don't understand why Viking is testing for Covid if you've been vaccinated. You aren't tested for the flu, norovirus or anything else. With the vaccine your chance of getting anything more than cold symptoms are slim. They need to put an end to this testing. You accept the risk when you choose to sail and that should be that. Enough already with testing and the anxiety it will bring daily, not to mention that if kicked off the ship you are on your own in a foreign country. Do you know that even if you have Viking's own insurance you still have to pay for your food and hotel while you quarantine and then you have to save receipts and just hope you get reimbursed?? STOP COVID TESTING ONBOARD!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Viking is obviously catering to covid worrywarts. I don't get why someone who still worries about covid after being fully vaccinated would put themselves in a somewhat risky environment such as a cruise ship. Seems contradicatory. I think Viking will ultimately realize it's a bad business decision to continue daily testing. One can only hope. We just postponed our cruise  for a year hoping they will come to their senses by then.

Edited by brianw123
  • Like 7

Having watched one of my best friends, who was very healthy, a nonsmoker, not overweight, go into the hospital and remain on oxygen for weeks and almost die, and now seeing him suffering with all the after-effects--brain fog, confusion, and so on--I didn't want to catch Covid on a cruise.

My wife and I did 2 cruises in the last 4 months--an 11-day in the Caribbean and a 15-day around Italy and on to Greece. We came home healthy from both trips, and considered ourselves lucky to have been able to have 2 great trips and return home Covid-free.

Between those two trips, counting pre-trip tests, we tested a total of 31 times. Doing the saliva tests in the morning was nothing for us, and we didn't mind---we considered it a miniscule inconvenience for the luxury of cruising during these crazy times.

I was all in favor of saliva tests, and don't think it was a bad thing, nor do I think it was just something done to appease those of us who take this pandemic extremely seriously. Knowing that more than 960,000 people in the US alone have died due to Covid, and being 67 years old, I didn't want to become a statistic--we have lots of cruising left to do.

I can't honestly say that I *worry* about catching Covid now, but at the same time, knowing that there are lots of people who refuse to be vaccinated and who we come into contact with all the time, it was a small relief to be on a ship with passengers and crew who were all vaccinated and who had to be consistently tested throughout our journeys.

If someone doesn't want to do the saliva tests, they can choose to stay home; judging from the 2 cruises we did, that doesn't appear to be a problem for Viking. I commend them for not adding to a problem that has still not gone away, despite those who choose to act like it has.

I realize there are those who will disagree, and that's fine, I don't need to hear from you. Just like a restaurant has the right to refuse service to people without shirts or shoes, Viking has the right to set the rules on their ships, and I applaud them for doing so.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, longterm said:

Viking has the right to set the rules on their ships, and I applaud them for doing so.

Fairly (and well) stated. I will say, though, that it's easy - in retrospect - coming from the perspective of having had two succesful trips wherein you didn't get sick, to have a positive feeling towards the precautionary testing, compared to someone who had a totally different experience, perhaps having been asymptomatic and yet positive and thus booted off the ship. 

8 minutes ago, longterm said:

If someone doesn't want to do the saliva tests, they can choose to stay home; judging from the 2 cruises we did, that doesn't appear to be a problem for Viking.

What exactly is the "problem" you refer to? That, from Viking's end, it's ok for people to choose not to cruise with them?  I get where you're coming from on all this but it's a bit like some people here on CC who - earlier in the pandemic - were pretty much free and easy when it comes to not masking, etc. and went around saying how those of us who are concerned about masking and such should just stay home, while those who weren't worried about it will go about their business going out, eating in restaurants, and so forth. NOT picking fault with what you're saying, but it sort of comes across in the manner I'm referring to.  I think the "problem" you refer to is that there are very few people testing positive? Confused....

So, erring (probably not the appropriate term) on the side of caution is indeed never a bad thing. I can see this situation from both sides. Again...a well thought-out post. 

15 minutes ago, longterm said:

I can't honestly say that I *worry* about catching Covid now, but at the same time, knowing that there are lots of people who refuse to be vaccinated and who we come into contact with all the time, it was a small relief to be on a ship with passengers and crew who were all vaccinated and who had to be consistently tested throughout our journeys.

This is a good point....I vacillate between this and the other end of the spectrum...that of perhaps over-testing. I wouldn't have as much issue with any of this IF Viking wasn't removing people from ships but rather allowing them to at least stay on board. 

• Like 2

One question...what's up with this contact tracing?  I read somewhere along the way (perhaps this thread) that you have to wear a device? So in the event that someone tests postive, does Viking then locate everyone that the positive person came in contact with and quarantine them? What is the purpose of the device? 

All I can say is...we'll see how things go next month. If we find it overly stressful (or worse - like testing positive), or for whatever reason not to our satisfaction, we'll probably cancel / rebook our January cruise. We very much enjoyed just having sailed with a cruise line that didn't test at all once onboard. Doing it every day will probably, for me, result in being always conscious of possible "what if"'covid scenarios. Hopefully not. May we all have a similar healthy and issue-free experience such as you relate. Either way, we anticipate wearing masks probably most of the time. See what happens with a possible resurgence. Things are not going well in Philadelphia (less than 2 hours from me). 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood