Tor: COVID is really behind us...

rbslos18

20 hours ago, longterm said:

... True! That's why I don't mention that the earth is round or anything about gravity!

The earth is round??
Ha!! I’ve been told by a social influencer that the earth is flat.

And my political party tells me that gravity is fake news!!
😁😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Clearly you are correct. With increased availability of home testing and asymptomatic cases, the actual numbers are much higher. People who home test typically do not end up in the published statistics.  That said, hospitalisations and serious cases are way down, a very good sign. Every person in the family we are visiting came in contact with a person diagnosed with COVID last week. Every one  has mostly allergy symptoms. The variants seem to be more infectious yet less serious as illnesses. 

We and Viking will have to learn to live with this situation and to adjust as the data and the science changes.I am in favor of Viking experimenting with lightening up on their protocol. 
Sign this: Masked and Boosted and feeling safe. 

Not doubting that was your experience, but it certainly wasn't ours.

Both DW & I, who were fully vaxed ended up with bacterial chest infections requiring anti-biotics, in addition to the virus. Our SIL, who is a fully vaxed and physically fit Police Officer also got hit hard for several days.

Allergy type symptoms did not apply to 60% of the people in our household, who got the Omicron variant COVID.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Both DW & I, who were fully vaxed ended up with bacterial chest infections requiring anti-biotics, in addition to the virus. Our SIL, who is a fully vaxed and physically fit Police Officer also got hit hard for several days.

Allergy type symptoms did not apply to 60% of the people in our household, who got the Omicron variant COVID.

I sincerely hope all of you have a complete recovery. Long Covid is no joke.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I hope you and family are fully recovered with no “Long COVID.”  Sorry if I was not clear. My comments pertain to the current situation and variant. The vast majority of BA.2 cases are mild and do not involve hospitalization. Thus my being open to Viking experimenting with reduced restrictions. 

• Like 1

I think we also have to consider the effects of reduced passenger restrictions on the crew. We recently returned from a cruise on the Viking Jupiter where we spent the first ten days in quarantine on deck 3 after having tested positive on embarkation day. We were very grateful to be able to stay on board and felt well looked after.

Returning to our original cabin after the ten days, we discovered that our housekeeping angel had been infected and gone into quarantine 4 days after us. It could, of course, be pure coincidence, but we did have a guilty conscience. I’m not sure and cruise line would allow infected crew to carry on working, especially in areas with direct contact with passengers.

We are on Viking Orion now. Our itinerary has us in Victoria today so we will disembark a day early in our home town before the cruise terminates tomorrow in Vancouver. Masks have been optional after the first day with most people not wearing them. They have been required on the bus trips and indoors at some establishments on shore. We have worn masks while moving around the ship but take them off when we sit down. The spit test every day has been no big deal, of course we have to assume we have been negative and we were given a negative test document from yesterday's test as we disembark today. Nice to have it even though we don't need it anymore, to come back hoe to Canada. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The spit test every day has been no big deal, of course we have to assume we have been negative and we were given a negative test document from yesterday's test as we disembark today. Nice to have it even though we don't need it anymore, to come back hoe to Canada. 

Canada no longer requires you to test before returning home? Nice. I wonder how many countries still require it. Is the US becoming an outlier?

7 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Canada no longer requires you to test before returning home? Nice. I wonder how many countries still require it. Is the US becoming an outlier?

That requirement was just dropped recently. Our circumstances are a little unique in that we are arriving by sea and the port of entry for us is also our home town. So we will be in Canada and our "quarantine plan" was to go home. As a matter of fact we can see Victoria off our port bow at time of writing. 

Edited by Blackduck59

5 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I hope you and family are fully recovered with no “Long COVID.”  Sorry if I was not clear. My comments pertain to the current situation and variant. The vast majority of BA.2 cases are mild and do not involve hospitalization. Thus my being open to Viking experimenting with reduced restrictions. 

The vast majority of Omicron cases also didn’t require hospitalization, thankfully, especially for those who are vaccinated. And this variant seems lighter still.

Between vaccination, better treatments, and milder variants, we’re winning the battle. With all the arguing about testing and masking and quarantines, sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of this extremely good news.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That requirement was just dropped recently. Our circumstances are a little unique in that we are arriving by sea and the port of entry for us is also our home town. So we will be in Canada and our "quarantine plan" was to go home. As a matter of fact we can see Victoria off our port bow at time of writing. 

I can see!  Looks like a bit stormy grey weather out . . . .

https://viking.panomax.com/orion

image.thumb.png.798dd7ffb1ec826751ecbb44d9feb058.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twitchly said:

The vast majority of Omicron cases also didn’t require hospitalization, thankfully, especially for those who are vaccinated. And this variant seems lighter still.

Between vaccination, better treatments, and milder variants, we’re winning the battle. With all the arguing about testing and masking and quarantines, sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of this extremely good news.

Agreed. The main question for me is what is the end game for Viking?  COVID will remain in some form, hopefully as a seasonal virus which is mild. There will be hit or miss vaccinations like the flu shot. At what point will Viking feel comfortable cutting back on testing? Perhaps Viking could experiment with reducing testing and seeing what happens. Given the investments in labs, I don’t see the testing just ending one day. I’d love to know  Viking’s game plan.

• Like 2

I leave for a VR cruise one week from today and we have been notified that we have to wear masks through 4/30…I guess there is closer contact on the River Ships…I’m rather disappointed because I purposely got 4 shots just because I’m wanting to travel…with all the extensions of precautions, it makes me doubt the effectiveness if the shots….I’m very grateful that this new variant is mild…I don’t really understand why we, as a society, feel the need to hold on to fear.  How many people get quarantined for norovirus? Isn’t that just as serious as this new variant?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

How many people get quarantined for norovirus? Isn’t that just as serious as this new variant?

If you get Noro on a cruise ship, everyone that reports to the Medical Centre is placed in mandatory quarantine, at least on the cruise lines I worked for, or have cruised with.

Both DW and I have been disembarked by the local authorities and sent to a local Govt run hotel, as one of us was not released from Noro quarantine, but had no symptoms. Being forced to disembark is not specific to COVID, it is a potential for any infectious disease on board a vessel, which the Master must report to the local authorities, when requesting "Pratique".

Therefore, with respect to quarantine, COVID is no different than Noro. Many years ago, the Noro quarantine was 2 days after symptoms stopped, but on our 2015 WC, I believe it was increased to 3 - 4 days after symptoms.

• Like 1

In fact! Why aren’t we getting tested daily for any germ on earth? Why aren’t we getting tested for the Spanish Flu? How about the Black Plague?  how many hospitalizations have happened with the new variant? Why are we obsessing about all things Covid!? It’s a big ol’ NOTHING now!

Just now, MamaFej said:

Genuine question: is there such a thing as asymptomatic noro? If not, it makes sense not to test for it. As far as I know, if you've got it, you've got it!

No you are right…but here is the thing….if it is asymptomatic…why test for it at all?

Just now, Let Me Travel! said:

No you are right…but here is the thing….if it is asymptomatic…why test for it at all?

To keep folks from passing it on to others?

My cousin's MIL is in the hospital, on a ventilator right now due to "a big ol' NOTHING now!" She lives alone and  only left the house once in the last month, to get her hair done. It seems she must have caught it from an asymptomatic hair dresser.

I do not claim to know what is the  right balance of prudent caution and let's get on with it. I do not think there are easy answers. I'll just take the precautions I think are necessary for me to protect myself and others, as well as those deemed necessary by the folks running the things I want to do and see. 

• Like 4

Just now, MamaFej said:

To keep folks from passing it on to others?

My cousin's MIL is in the hospital, on a ventilator right now due to "a big ol' NOTHING now!" She lives alone and  only left the house once in the last month, to get her hair done. It seems she must have caught it from an asymptomatic hair dresser.

I do not claim to know what is the  right balance of prudent caution and let's get on with it. I do not think there are easy answers. I'll just take the precautions I think are necessary for me to protect myself and others, as well as those deemed necessary by the folks running the things I want to do and see. 

I’m so sorry for your MIL… I wish and pray for her recovery…I do not want to come across as cold and unfeeling…I just want it to all end! Those that are at high risk are at high risk from every germ and virus in the air…we cannot protect every person from catching an airborne virus particularly those that have risk factors…but what about us that are NOT at risk…do we have to totally change our lives? 

• Like 1

I think at the end of the day, there are choices to make. If Viking’s extra safety measurements are going to negatively impact the enjoyment of some people, then there are other choices to make with lines that are not as safety minded with the protocols that Viking has. If Viking’s extra safety measurements are viewed as positive, or the product that Viking offers outweighs the desire not to test daily, then people will choose to sail with Viking. The rules of engagement are transparent with Viking. If a company’s  rules don’t suit me, and I have a choice, then I won’t do business  with them. If they work for me,  then I will.  

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I think at the end of the day, there are choices to make. If Viking’s extra safety measurements are going to negatively impact the enjoyment of some people, then there are other choices to make with lines that are not as safety minded with the protocols that Viking has. If Viking’s extra safety measurements are viewed as positive, or the product that Viking offers outweighs the desire not to test daily, then people will choose to sail with Viking. I am just, without judgement,  perplexed over all the frustration. 
The rules of engagement are transparent with Viking. If they don’t suit me, I won’t sail with them. If they do, then I will. 

That is true.  What I am uncertain about is choose a port, any port, that Viking uses and you can go there by plane, train, bus, or car with no testing and no chance of forced quarantine ashore.  How does that make any sense??  About like wearing a mask to the restaurant then sitting for a couple of hours unmasked.  Holding breath while eating?  Just curious.

• Like 2