Question - Silhouette Large Balconies on the Hump

kdkstormy

Hi all,

I searched but couldn't find any pictures or info for sure.  

Since refurbishment, do the large balconies on the hump on the Silhouette still have both regular chairs and lounge chairs? 

This pic is from our cruise on the Reflection in January 2020.  

Balcony Pic.jpg

Edited by kdkstormy
added specific ship in the body of the post
  • Like 1

We just sailed in an AQ1.  We also had chairs that reclined and footstools.  With the footstools we really didn't need a recliner so didn't ask for one.  There might have been room for one (in addition to the chairs) but it would have been a bit tight.

• Like 1

We were on Silhouette in 2018 and had a larger balcony.  Unfortunately, we had rough weather on a TA crossing and all the balcony furniture was removed. Ours was just folded up and tucked in a corner.  We had two adjustable loungers with foot rests and a table.  Don't know when the refurb happened.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kdkstormy said:

Hi all,

I searched but couldn't find any pictures or info for sure.  

Since refurbishment, do the large balconies on the hump on the Silhouette still have both regular chairs and lounge chairs? 

This pic is from our cruise on the Reflection in January 2020.  

Balcony Pic.jpg

Wow! Thats a great balcony, which cabin number was this please? 

19 hours ago, shofer said:

We were on Silhouette in 2018 and had a larger balcony.  Unfortunately, we had rough weather on a TA crossing and all the balcony furniture was removed. Ours was just folded up and tucked in a corner.  We had two adjustable loungers with foot rests and a table.  Don't know when the refurb happened.

Wow - we've never encountered seas that bad, and we've been in seas up to 30' high.  How bad was it?

31 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Wow - we've never encountered seas that bad, and we've been in seas up to 30' high.  How bad was it?

I'm pretty sure the waves were under 30 feet!  Hurricane Oscar had been over the UK right before we arrived in London.  But there was another system directly to the west when we left Southampton so our itinerary was changed to adding another day at sea (7 total) and eliminating Nassau by sailing South for one day before heading west to Boston which was our first stop.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:30 PM, shofer said:

6 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

5 hours ago, shofer said:

I'm pretty sure the waves were under 30 feet!  Hurricane Oscar had been over the UK right before we arrived in London.  But there was another system directly to the west when we left Southampton so our itinerary was changed to adding another day at sea (7 total) and eliminating Nassau by sailing South for one day before heading west to Boston which was our first stop.

We were on that TA as well. Our original course would have taken us into a major windstorm blowing east across the Atlantic. So instead of heading straight for Boston, we dropped south past the Azores before turning northwest to Boston. The Captain had a chart like this put up daily in the atrium that showed the wind speeds and wave heights and where we were at noon (the red boat) and where we would have been per our original course (the yellow boat).  And yes, the furniture on our balcony was tied down for several days, and outer decks closed. It was still a great crossing. 😊

image.jpeg.ac22fcc3c58b5603db86e213c451bb50.jpeg

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We were on that TA as well. Our original course would have taken us into a major windstorm blowing east across the Atlantic. So instead of heading straight for Boston, we dropped south past the Azores before turning northwest to Boston. The Captain had a chart like this put up daily in the atrium that showed the wind speeds and wave heights and where we were at noon (the red boat) and where we would have been per our original course (the yellow boat).  And yes, the furniture on our balcony was tied down for several days, and outer decks closed. It was still a great crossing. 😊

image.jpeg.ac22fcc3c58b5603db86e213c451bb50.jpeg

(photo by turtles06)

I'm surprised that we never saw that map.   It wasn't like there was that much to do that first week on the ship.  But we enjoy sea days so it didn't make us unhappy.   Only having to change our planned tours caused some anxiety.  Our daughter lives near Boston so our first stop was to see her and her family.  I also made use of her washer/drier before she took us back to the dock.  This was our first TA and we really enjoyed the ship and the crossing.

19 hours ago, shofer said:

I know alot of the issue is not just the waves but the winds as well.  You probably had much worse winds than we had on our cruise.

7 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I know alot of the issue is not just the waves but the winds as well.  You probably had much worse winds than we had on our cruise.

They had to drain the hot tubs as they were splashing all over the deck.  The pools were empty until Bermuda which was our last stop.  The inside pool was open at first but the deck area was flooded most of the time.  So they emptied that one also.

I would love to see more balcony photos think we should share as many as possible just to cheer us all up! Here is our CS angled balcony 1618 from Silhouette many years ago, we had a lovely dinner on it one evening. 

68FC9793-D9D3-4234-9E77-4ED76B64D1A6.jpeg

21BE2BC6-57B8-4A15-AE4E-58ECFB8E2462.jpeg

7565E44F-3F45-4B04-8093-E6FDF4E64067.jpeg

Edited by louise1809
  • Like 1