Capacity Info?

Discussions in various forums have comments about how full ships are now - some indicating onboard staff is sharing counts.

Is there a way to learn the number of passengers expected on an upcoming sailing? Or how many are on a ship's current cruise?

I'm more curious about whether HAL shares counts than how many are actually onboard.

TIA if you have answers.

54 minutes ago, Midwestern Cruiser said:

Discussions in various forums have comments about how full ships are now - some indicating onboard staff is sharing counts.

Is there a way to learn the number of passengers expected on an upcoming sailing? Or how many are on a ship's current cruise?

I'm more curious about whether HAL shares counts than how many are actually onboard.

TIA if you have answers.

I can not divulge my source but there are presently 1300 on the Koningsdan and 2300 on the Rotterdam. 

During the “Ask the Captain” session on Rotterdam, the captain told us the amount on board (at that time, late February, I believe it was 1400).  He was upfront about it, and did not act as if he was divulging a secret.

As an aside, I’ve been seeing comments in Facebook groups about how “crowded” the ships are now. One person used the word “packed.”. I’m not sure if these people were complaining or just commenting, but shouldn’t full capacity be “normal”?  If a ship is meant to carry 2600, then 2600 should be expected and feel perfectly comfortable, and not crowded.  It just seems funny that everyone couldn’t wait for things to get back to normal…but now they’re not sure they like normal.  

Edited by RAS4331
  • Like 1

Thanks @RAS4331

That's the kind of 'where' info is shared detail I was looking for. Asking the Captain is the perfect place for a straight answer.

Agree that full is normal too & - even if only for the sake of crew depending on tip income - I'm happy to see us get there (or at least closer to it).

Appreciate the thoughtful comment!

35 minutes ago, Midwestern Cruiser said:

@Laminator

Why?

Do not understand the secrecy or conspiracy-type of hold back on info.

Who does it benefit & why the need?

Really trying to understand this.

There is no secrecy or conspiracy. You asked for pax count the ships and I gave them to you on 2 ships I know the pax count on. I have no clue who from HAL may monitor these boards and I do not want to get my source in hot water.

Edited by Laminator

It's not capacity.  Capacity is how many the ship can hold, is a established, determined ( by ship designing) number and is public info, readily available with a little searching. It comes in "double occupancy ", two people in every cabin, and "full", which is almost every bed full, according to design and safe loads.

What you are asking about is "occupancy ". There have been a couple of sources on number of people boarding at a given port on a given day. But if you are expecting a press release every day on how many are boarding....don't hold your breath.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Laminator said:

There is no secrecy or conspiracy. You asked for pax count the ships and I gave them to you on 2 ships I know the pax count on. I have no clue who from HAL may monitor these boards and I do not want to get my source in hot water.

No - I asked if there was a way to learn whether HAL shared counts - and you said you "could not divulge your source" - just senseless (to me) that passenger numbers would get someone in 'hot water'? 🤷‍♀️

Thanks though.

14 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It's not capacity.  Capacity is how many the ship can hold, is a established, determined ( by ship designing) number and is public info, readily available with a little searching. It comes in "double occupancy ", two people in every cabin, and "full", which is almost every bed full, according to design and safe loads.

What you are asking about is "occupancy ". There have been a couple of sources on number of people boarding at a given port on a given day. But if you are expecting a press release every day on how many are boarding....don't hold your breath.

Thanks for pointing out the error in my subject line choice of words.

Yes - technically I should have specified 'occupancy' ... but, no, I'm not seeking a press release.

Not sure why you feel it necessary to be so condescending toward someone asking a question 🤔

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Cruiser said:

Thanks for pointing out the error in my subject line choice of words.

Yes - technically I should have specified 'occupancy' ... but, no, I'm not seeking a press release.

Not sure why you feel it necessary to be so condescending toward someone asking a question 🤔

If, rather than being offended, you look around the board and the roll calls, or ask about a given cruise close to the sailing, you will probably find the info you seek.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Laminator said:

Give me a break.  Just someone trying to act important and in possession of top secret information.  LOL

• Like 3

I think the cruise lines prefer to only release rates in quarterly reports.  I suppose it is considered trade proprietary data since it is related to earnings.   I think current ships are full because of spring break.  I think close in cruises like Alaska, northern Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean may maintain high occupancy levels.   Travelers/vacationers’ long distance travel demands are still considerably diminished due to regulations and health concerns.   If US opens to freely traveling here with no tests, as the airlines are asking, you may see an uptick in travel demand.  (Setting aside war concerns which could change everything)

• Like 1

Having retired from the Airline industry, airlines are very secretive about passenger loads on aircraft due to heavy competition. When money is being made hand over fist on a certain route between two cities, another carrier will open the same route to “steal” the revenue away. It can be a dog-eat-dog situation.

In the old days of flying our management would hand someone a counter and have us click each deplaning passenger off an arrival in a specific market.

I would not bounties cruise lines follow the same practice of keeping passenger loads on a ship as privileged information.

Edited by MarKandi

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

We were on the Carnival Breeze over Christmas 2018.  They said there was a bit over 4800 passengers onboard, or 130+% of double occupancy.  That was a packed ship!  I about reached my capacity after been bumped from behind by strollers I don't know how many times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Today's comments have been interesting - thanks to all for chiming in.

I sail on a longer reposition cruise next month & suspect the length & flight requirements may result in fewer passengers...HOWEVER, a lot of deals were offered, so my guess could be way off.  No matter, I'll enjoy it & may see if crew members know/share counts (but only because I'll be curious).

49 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Sounds like we may be at or near 100% when we sail on Zuiderdam in two weeks.

I think spring break is pushing up the pax count and it likely will continue for the next month or so. If your cruise is longer than 7 days I don't think you will see the bump. 7 day warm weather cruises are drawing larger passenger counts. Once we get into summer I am sure pax counts will spike again.