Transderm Scop

Babs1121

Has anyone tried this patch for sea sickness? Just wondering if it really works and if it is worth getting a prescription from our doctor. Thought maybe the over the counter pills would work just as well. Would appreciate any information anybody has that has used these patches..Thank you

My DH discovered that he started having motion sickness on some of the rides at WDW that didn't bother him before, so the first time we cruised he wore the patch. He's never cruised since then without it, so we don't know if he needs it or not, but we had 28ft seas on the Westerdam in 11/05 and he did fine. He even wears them at WDW and doesn't have any problems with the rides anymore.

As one who gets seasick very easily, I've tried the patch. It works well for me under 'normal' circumstances (including pre-cruise rides at Disney World), but I have gotten seasick while wearing one. I was on a whale-watching boat (Alaskan cruise) and it 'may' have delayed the onset, but I did get QUITE seasick.

A nurse onboard ship warned us not to let my 80-yr old father put on one of my patches. They have encountered problems (particularly among older passengers) of dementia-like symptoms while wearing the patch. The problems go away hours after the patch is removed. I've also read here of 40-somethings having problems, not just the elderly.

Wearing the patch you also need to be VERY careful about washing your hands. Touching the patch and later touching the eye area caused an eye to dilate quite a bit.

I've had better experience with ginger capsules - and the candied ginger from the Yum-Yum man.

I used to think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but now I have concerns.

As the drug makers rightly disclaim in all their ads, "Check with your doctor before taking this medication." You have to in order to get a prescription, but the point is to thoroughly discuss with your health care professional the advantages vs. risks of any med.

All four of us used the patch on our Alaska cruise. We have really rough seas the very next day and we did not get seasick but .... my husband felt really lightheaded and my sister-in-law and I experienced SEVERE dry throat. Almost a sick feeling .... we removed the patch after the third day and the dry throat went away. We used draminine (sp?) the rest of the cruise and none of us were seasick.

I get seasick very easily - on our last cruise, we used Bonine and it worked great!!

I used to wear the patch, but it made my vision blurry (not good if you're drinking). My doc told me to cut it in half. That eliminated the blurry vision, and still helped with the seasickness, just not as strong.

For the past 4 or 5 cruises, I've used Bonine and it works great. I have severe motion sickness and this stuff prevents it totally.

Asking your Doctor would probably be a first step then your Pharmacist as they are better Chemists...

I had my sealegs when I was young luckily.. my wife uses the bands whether rubber bands (they work) or the ones from the drug store and Ginger...

Besides being a wonderful almost perfect flower it is edible too.

Ginger anything is a delight and I do search for it on any voyage just to consume as i like it.. YUMMMMe:D

Three years ago on our Prisendam cruise around Australia, I got sea sick for the first time in my life. It was bad enough that I was intimidated by the thought of cruising, but we were anxious to see New Zealand so I did get the perscription.

I too experiienced all the side effects: blurred vision, drowsyness, etc, but at least this trip, I didn't hurl in the Lido!

If your physician gives you a prescription for the patch, I strongly recommend that you give it a trial before you leave home. Use it for a couple of days that won't be too busy for you. If you get the side effects, you will be at home, in familiar surroundings and able to just remove the patch with no further worrirs about seasickness.

I've used the patches and found them to be very effective. I do have the side effects of dry mouth and slightly blurred vision--regular vision is ok, but for reading it is like I need bifocals. But being seasick is worse, so the trade-off is acceptable to me.

Meclinzine makes me drowsy and wears off too quickly. Nothing worse than waking up seasick. :eek: Ginger doesn't help that much either and if you take certain medications, you can't take ginger, so you need to check with your doctor or pharmacist about this.

The patch has instructions with it that states that you aren't supposed to consume alcohol while wearing it, so I suggest considering this before deciding whether to use them. The same medicine comes in pill form, so I don't know if this would be a better option for some rather than the patch because I've never taken the pill form--again check with your doctor. And as has been suggested already, since this is a prescribed product, you need to discuss with the doctor whether this would be an appropriate medication given the age, health, and medications you are taking.

There is another option I found to be very effective. It is called the Relief Band. This is NOT the same thing as sea bands. The Relief Band is an FDA approved medical device and comes in two "strengths". One is "over the counter" and the other requires a prescription. It is prescribed by doctors to alleviate chemotherapy side effects, morning sickness, and anesthesia effects. I have the "over the counter" version and found it to be very effective. However, you can't use it while swimming, which for me means it is not the best choice for Caribbean cruises since we do a lot of snorkeling and swimming. But I've used it on Alaska and coastal cruises instead of the patch with great results. Anyway, this may be another option for those who don't want to or can't wear the patch.

My ex-boyfriend used the patch on a cruise and experienced some headaches and other ill feelings. However, other people "swear by it!"

What is not clear is if you've tried the "over the counter" alternatives.

Meclizine (Antivert, Bonine, Dramamine) is a histamine receptor blocker medication that is sold over the counter. Meclizine acts on brain centers that control nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. Even with over the counter medications, it is best to research (or talk with your doctor) possible side effects and drug interactions with other medications.

The Transderm Scop patch works by reducing the activity of nerve fibers in the inner ear. The active ingredient in the patch (scopolamine) is also produced by another company in pill form. You will need to visit with your doctor and obtain a prescription.

For me, I've only had one occasion where I've felt "queasy" on a ship. The seas were classified as "high" and it was during dinner. I felt like I was on the edge of being seasick. I took some Bonine and within the hour felt better. However, I had a cabinmate once who started taking Meclizine the moment she stepped on the ship and continued it daily until the end of the cruise.

Here's an article on seasickness that might be helpful.

I suggest that you talk with your doctor and find the medication that works best for you.

Has anyone tried this patch for sea sickness? Just wondering if it really works and if it is worth getting a prescription from our doctor. Thought maybe the over the counter pills would work just as well. Would appreciate any information anybody has that has used these patches..Thank you

Meclizine (Antivert, Bonine, Dramamine) is a histamine receptor blocker medication that is sold over the counter. Meclizine acts on brain centers that control nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.

Not all Dramamine is Meclizine. The Original Dramamine is not. The newer non-Drowsy might be, I don't know. We always take Bonine daily, which is Meclizine and available OTC. Works like a charm with no side effects, at least for me, and I used to get seasick on every cruise.

You are correct - the Dramamine II has Meclizine.

Not all Dramamine is Meclizine. The Original Dramamine is not. The newer non-Drowsy might be, I don't know. We always take Bonine daily, which is Meclizine and available OTC. Works like a charm with no side effects, at least for me, and I used to get seasick on every cruise.

I want to add info about the Relief Band (NOT seabands). It looks like a watch face that you wear on the inside (bottom) of your wrist. You can adjust the tiny electrical pulse that it emits. Batteries are required. The beauty of this guy is that you put it on when you feel sick. As soon as you feel better, take it off. No need to plan in advance, ala take a pill beforehand. Relief is instantaneous.

But it's not cheap in a pharmacy. Instead, you can buy them new on ebay for half price.

I must say though, the patch was a lifesaver for me in fighting post surgical vomiting from anethsesia.

I have used about everything for sea sickness and the best thing I have found is ginger root. Unlike the others, it can be used after you get sea sick and when it is, it quickly eases the discomfort.

I have found the patch to be very effective but find it drys my mouth severely. As mentioned above, my doctor also recommended I cut it in half to reduce unwanted side effects.

When using wrist bands, I could not tell that they did anything for me but make my wrists sore.

I also like Bonine as a preventative because it seems to work without side effects.

Whenever I go on a cruise, I carry patches, Bonine and ginger root with me.

I've used the patch in the past and just tried to get a prescription for next weeks sailing and the doctor said NO WAY. Too many side effects keep appearing in med journals, he would not prescribe it anymore. i bypassed him by ordering on line from RxPlace (on-line pharmacy in Sarasota FLA). Hopefully Fed-Ex will deliver tomorrow! My first cruise I was horribly sick with dizziness & bouncing off the wall feelings, of course hurricane bertha didn't help with the rough seas. Ship's infirmary helped with some prescription medicines, the room steward had the real remedy down pat. Tea, Apple, crackers and ginger! Fresh air also helps a lot.

Now I sail with the patch, bands,ginger, meclizine...you name it...rarely do I need anything, even in rough seas. Better to have it available, and not use, than to be without!

If you are prone to motion sickness, take things along...

Archived