WB QM2 Transatlantic Crossing (20 March - 27 March) UK-USA

Transatlantic Tom

Some impressions of my first QM2 voyage since October 2019, and first transatlantic crossing since December 2018...

* The pre-embarkation process - COVID test, waiting for results and check in at Mayflower Terminal in Southampton - took approximately 90 minutes

* There were two onboard Antigen tests for all passengers, Day 3 and Day 6

* Face masks were still required in all public spaces except while dining or drinking (or on deck)

* Everyone pleasantly & cooperatively restricted themselves to "4-only" in the lifts

* Reliable sources indicated that the passenger compliment was approximately 1,475.

* The interior of the ship looked very good

* The service from service staff - rooms steward, dining room waiters, Kings Court stewards, lounge/bar stewards - was EXCELLENT !!

* The entertainment, i.e. 3 recitals, by pianist Anthony Hewitt was absolutely magnificent. He was incredible. Everything from Bach & Debussy to an all-Chopin recital to Gershwin. A real treat !

* Some interesting lectures: Bill Miller (ocean liner history), retired British Airways captain John Hutchinson (Concorde and BA history)

* Afternoon tea in Queens Room was as wonderful (and normal) as always - great service, a very good harpist and delicious sandwiches, scones & tea

* Many calm overcast days with temperatures of 55F/12-13C; one day wet & drizzly; one day rough with Force 9 on the Beaufort scale; one day cold (41F/5C)

* Regrettably, I found the Britannia Restaurant menu somewhat uninspiring and disappointing; something I've never seen in 41 years of sailing with Cunard.

- My theory is that after a devastating 2-year hiatus and an absence of revenues they are "economizing" somewhat on the menus, not spending the money they would normally. My hope is that (a) this is temporary, and (b) as things progress there will be a return to some of the offerings one usually finds

- Having said this, to my eye (or stomach) the desserts every night were as good as always - Lemon Souffle, Baked Alaska, Crepes Suzette, Chocolate Fondant, et al

- Additionally, the 2nd of two formal nights featured an excellent assortment of traditional dishes: Escargot, Lobster Bisque, Beef Wellington, Baked Alaska !!

* Some of the offerings in the Kings Court were very good too: i.e. Rack of Lamb one evening

Finally -

* There was an outbreak of positive COVID infections during the crossing: an unknown number of passengers tested positive and were moved out of their cabins to a quarantine zone on Decks 4, 5, & 6 between "A" & "B" stairwells, port and starboard. Access doors to these areas - at lift/elevator lobbies and in passageways (fore & aft, port & starboard) - were closed and locked !

* Many who had been in the presence of passengers who tested positive were themselves restricted from pubic dining and drinking for the remainder of the crossing; additionally, these passengers were required to get a DAILY antigen test.

It was great to be aboard QM2 once again. All in all a good experience. 

Edited by Transatlantic Tom
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Transatlantic Tom said:

No charge for the tests? And that is not blood draw is it?

Many who had been in the presence of passengers who tested positive

How did they establish who had been where on the T/A? And by "many" what do you mean? dozens? hundreds?

Edited by ace2542

Many who had been in the presence of passengers who tested positive were themselves restricted from pubic dining and drinking for the remainder of the crossing; additionally, these passengers were required to get a DAILY antigen test

Seems to be  difference in practice here to the QE Trip to the Northern lights? From what has been reported this wasn't required with the QE sailing.

11 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No charge for the tests? And that is not blood draw is it?

How did they establish who had been where on the T/A? And by "many" what do you mean? dozens? hundreds?

No, there was no charge for the tests, and no it was NOT a blood draw, merely a nasal swab.

It appears as if a person tested positive they would be interviewed to determine with whom they'd dined, had drinks with, socialized, etc.

12 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Seems to be  difference in practice here to the QE Trip to the Northern lights? From what has been reported this wasn't required with the QE sailing.

Perhaps because some of the procedures @Transatlantic Tom mentioned are in the CDC guidelines which pertain to ships calling at US ports. Here's the part of the CDC guidelines I think would have pertained to close contacts of those who test positive on a QM2 crossing to New York. This would not have applied to QE's Northern Lights cruise which did not call at any US ports. Keep in mind most cruise lines, including Cunard, have chosen to continue participating in the CDC program for cruise ships operating in US waters even though it is no longer mandatory.

"What to expect if you are were exposed to COVID-19 while on board:

You may be tested for COVID-19 and need to quarantine. If you are on a ship participating in CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships, you will quarantine based on your vaccination status.

- If you are not up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, you will be required to:

• Quarantine for 10 days after last exposure; or
  • Quarantine for 5 days after your last exposure followed by 5 days of daily viral testing.

- If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, you will be required to:

• Quarantine for 5 days after last exposure; or
  • Be tested daily for COVID-19 for 5 days after your last exposure instead of a 5-day quarantine.

- Regardless of your vaccination status, during the 10 days after your last exposure, you will need to follow additional public health measures including dining inside your cabin and properly wearing a well-fitting mask at all times when you are outside your cabin (indoors and outdoors)."

14 hours ago, Transatlantic Tom said:

Some impressions of my first QM2 voyage since October 2019, and first transatlantic crossing since December 2018...

* The pre-embarkation process - COVID test, waiting for results and check in at Mayflower Terminal in Southampton - took approximately 90 minutes

* Face masks were still required in all public spaces except while dining or drinking (or on deck)

* Everyone pleasantly & cooperatively restricted themselves to "4-only" in the lifts

* Reliable sources indicated that the passenger compliment was approximately 1,475.

* The interior of the ship looked very good

* The service from service staff - rooms steward, dining room waiters, Kings Court stewards, lounge/bar stewards - was EXCELLENT !!

* The entertainment, i.e. 3 recitals, by pianist Anthony Hewitt was absolutely magnificent. He was incredible. Everything from Bach & Debussy to an all-Chopin recital to Gershwin. A real treat !

* Some interesting lectures: Bill Miller (ocean liner history), retired British Airways captain John Hutchinson (Concorde and BA history)

* Afternoon tea in Queens Room was as wonderful (and normal) as always - great service, a very good harpist and delicious sandwiches, scones & tea

* Many calm overcast days with temperatures of 55F/12-13C; one day wet & drizzly; one day rough with Force 9 on the Beaufort scale; one day cold (41F/5C)

* Regrettably, I found the Britannia Restaurant menu somewhat uninspiring and disappointing; something I've never seen in 41 years of sailing with Cunard.

- My theory is that after a devastating 2-year hiatus and an absence of revenues they are "economizing" somewhat on the menus, not spending the money they would normally. My hope is that (a) this is temporary, and (b) as things progress there will be a return to some of the offerings one usually finds

- Having said this, to my eye (or stomach) the desserts every night were as good as always - Lemon Souffle, Baked Alaska, Crepes Suzette, Chocolate Fondant, et al

- Additionally, the 2nd of two formal nights featured an excellent assortment of traditional dishes: Escargot, Lobster Bisque, Beef Wellington, Baked Alaska !!

* Some of the offerings in the Kings Court were very good too: i.e. Rack of Lamb one evening

Finally -

* There was an outbreak of positive COVID infections during the crossing: an unknown number of passengers tested positive and were moved out of their cabins to a quarantine zone on Decks 4, 5, & 6 between "A" & "B" stairwells, port and starboard. Access doors to these areas - at lift/elevator lobbies and in passageways (fore & aft, port & starboard) - were closed and locked !

* Many who had been in the presence of passengers who tested positive were themselves restricted from pubic dining and drinking for the remainder of the crossing; additionally, these passengers were required to get a DAILY antigen test.

It was great to be aboard QM2 once again. All in all a good experience. 

Thank you for sharing your trip. A very good review of your crossing. From another MN Cunard fan. I envy the lectures you had. I have some of Bill Miller's books.

Edited by vettprincess
more info

4 hours ago, Transatlantic Tom said:

It appears as if a person tested positive they would be interviewed to determine with whom they'd dined, had drinks with, socialized, etc

What if they didn't know the people? Would they be shown pictures of passengers?

8 hours ago, vettprincess said:

Thank you for sharing your trip. A very good review of your crossing. From another MN Cunard fan. I envy the lectures you had. I have some of Bill Miller's books.

Maybe we should form a Cunard-Minnesota club ?? For those of us far, far away from the sea !!!😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What if they didn't know the people? Would they be shown pictures of passengers?

Those would be questions for the medical staff, and Cunard/Canival UK to answer; as you might imagine, not too much was shared with passengers.

All I can say (from personal experience & knowledge) is that IF someone in your party - for example, table companions and/or people with whom you had drinks - tests positive for COVID your name will come up, you will be tested, and even if you're negative you will be asked to dine in your cabin ONLY, via room service.

Theoretically, if someone fails to name you then you're off the hook....

Edited by Transatlantic Tom

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Perhaps because some of the procedures @Transatlantic Tom mentioned are in the CDC guidelines which pertain to ships calling at US ports. Here's the part of the CDC guidelines I think would have pertained to close contacts of those who test positive on a QM2 crossing to New York. This would not have applied to QE's Northern Lights cruise which did not call at any US ports. Keep in mind most cruise lines, including Cunard, have chosen to continue participating in the CDC program for cruise ships operating in US waters even though it is no longer mandatory.

"What to expect if you are were exposed to COVID-19 while on board:

You may be tested for COVID-19 and need to quarantine. If you are on a ship participating in CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships, you will quarantine based on your vaccination status.

- If you are not up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, you will be required to:

• Quarantine for 10 days after last exposure; or
  • Quarantine for 5 days after your last exposure followed by 5 days of daily viral testing.

- If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, you will be required to:

• Quarantine for 5 days after last exposure; or
  • Be tested daily for COVID-19 for 5 days after your last exposure instead of a 5-day quarantine.

- Regardless of your vaccination status, during the 10 days after your last exposure, you will need to follow additional public health measures including dining inside your cabin and properly wearing a well-fitting mask at all times when you are outside your cabin (indoors and outdoors)."

This fits seamlessly with what we experienced and what was in effect during the crossing.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Transatlantic Tom said:

Theoretically, if someone fails to name you then you're off the hook....

So give people fake names then! 🤣🤣

In all seriouisness though this is going against the group traveller.  A bit of a turnaround considering all the earlier restrictions on solo travellers who this on  T/A  - assuming they didn't contact the medical centre - whom this would no go against so much.

13 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

So give people fake names then! 🤣🤣

In all seriouisness though this is going against the group traveller.  A bit of a turnaround considering all the earlier restrictions on solo travellers who this on  T/A  - assuming they didn't contact the medical centre - whom this would no go against so much.

when do you next cruise?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Transatlantic Tom said:

Maybe we should form a Cunard-Minnesota club ?? For those of us far, far away from the sea !!!😀

Yes, that would be fun and informative. We sail on the QM2 7/1 for the Independence day celebration cruise. Last did it in 2019. We have sailed on most of the cruise line (not the fancy ones)  and we celebrate 50 yrs of cruising this year. I am very curious about the Queen Anne (a HAL ship made into Cunard) and where she will be sailing.

I have no idea how to connect with you and our Cunard club. Any ideas? I am located in the middle of Mpls. How about you? 

10 hours ago, vettprincess said:

Yes, that would be fun and informative. We sail on the QM2 7/1 for the Independence day celebration cruise. Last did it in 2019. We have sailed on most of the cruise line (not the fancy ones)  and we celebrate 50 yrs of cruising this year. I am very curious about the Queen Anne (a HAL ship made into Cunard) and where she will be sailing.

I have no idea how to connect with you and our Cunard club. Any ideas? I am located in the middle of Mpls. How about you? 

If you look on the lefthand side of my postings you'll see I'm on the St. Paul side !! We know a couple from the Stillwater area who have made a couple of QM2 crossings, and some people one block over have also made a crossing aboard her !!

We have been on that early July cruise - Halifax, Boston, and 2 seas days going around Cape Cod. A nice trip !!

53 minutes ago, Transatlantic Tom said:

If you look on the lefthand side of my postings you'll see I'm on the St. Paul side !! We know a couple from the Stillwater area who have made a couple of QM2 crossings, and some people one block over have also made a crossing aboard her !!

We have been on that early July cruise - Halifax, Boston, and 2 seas days going around Cape Cod. A nice trip !!

Yes, I noticed you are from St Paul. That is so nice you have met some local people that are also fond of Cunard and QM2. The only crossing I have done is a round trip to Europe on the S S France in 1963!

All other cruises have been from NYC and LA and FL. I do not like to fly and those are the distances I can handle.  

This will be our third time doing that itinerary on the QM2. They have extended it to a whole week which is a lot better than the first shorter one.

Have a nice week-end.