How do Transfers work?

chloemonkey

1 hour ago, chloemonkey said:

I phoned Oceania again and got the matter cleared up!  Thank you all for trying to help out.  But as I had thought, the prices listed on Oceania's Web site are for "two" persons.  So maybe some of you are dealing with other countries websites and pricings.

For me?  The prices that I have found on my cruise management page for pre and post hotels are already doubled......so they are for TWO persons and not "per person".....hope this makes sense!

And I double checked the rates for the offered hotels and these figures pan out.  In reality?  I am thrilled with the rates!  As the Oceania rates are really close to the independent online rates....and yet these don't handle the two transfers which the Oceania rates do.  

Now to figure out which of the two hotels offered by Oceania......nothing's ever easy! lol!

Again....I love you guys and thank you all for your help!

You may want to call again.

Some of the phone reps (with any company) get things wrong. It’s quite easy for someone to misunderstand what is meant by a “double occupancy” rate (which most often means the cost per person based on two people sharing the room).

Think about the cost of your cruise cabin. If the fare of a cruise you see on the website is $5000, it’s based on “double occupancy” which means the cost of that cabin is actually $10,000 (unless there’s some single supplement break). 

In any case, there remains one sure way to find out the correct answer.

Thus, I still suggest that you go through the online process of selecting the Oceania hotel on the O website and see what price shows up in the cart. You’ll then see what your credit card will be charged before you push the “purchase” button.  

8 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

I phoned Oceania again and got the matter cleared up!  Thank you all for trying to help out.  But as I had thought, the prices listed on Oceania's Web site are for "two" persons.  So maybe some of you are dealing with other countries websites and pricings.

Well maybe something new 

we paid  PP  when we did the hotel package many years ago 

I know  the website can be wrong but on the North American site it states  PP

What Country are you in?

8 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

For me?  The prices that I have found on my cruise management page for pre and post hotels are already doubled......so they are for TWO persons and not "per person".....hope this makes sense!

And I double checked the rates for the offered hotels and these figures pan out.  In reality?  I am thrilled with the rates!  As the Oceania rates are really close to the independent online rates....and yet these don't handle the two transfers which the Oceania rates do.  

Now to figure out which of the two hotels offered by Oceania......nothing's ever easy! lol!

Again....I love you guys and thank you all for your help!

Glad you finally found someone that knew what they were doing. Enjoy your cruise. 🙃

Our recent booking for this December is per person.the page is split into two with a name either side and the cost pre person for everything.

so: 2x 288$ for hotel  2x 70$ transfers (from ship to  airport) Total of just over 700$.. Way too much for our liking.

I will be rather sad if anyone else  is paying per couple.

5 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

No way can this be correct. LOL!

And you are correct that it is not!

I’ve already suggested that chloemonkey call O again AND do a “mock booking” on the O website (if possible) up to the point of “purchase.”

Based on two people and double occupancy rates (or one person paying for both spots, i.e., “DOUBLE OCCUPANCY”). S/he could also go ahead and pursue an actual booking over the phone (where the O agent will enter the booking for the TWO people in the “system”) That will generate the correct price due. And, if that’s still not enough proof, s/he could do the booking with O over the phone anyway and, when the new cruise invoice is received (including twice what was expected), fully understand what we’ve all been trying to explain. Then s/he can cancel that hotel booking as long as it is done within O’s pre-penalty cancel window.  
Next step would be to book the same hotel at approx half the O cost and contact the hotel concierge to arrange any necessary private transfers (OR check the mozio.com website for a first look at what the average private transfer is costing in that location).

With all this said (over and over again), I hope that chloemonkey can prove us wrong with a factual report back on what the bottom line PAID O cost turns out to be.

FWIW: On a lark, I recently compared the price of the woefully inadequate O cruise insurance to a somewhat similar low end policy at insuremytrip.com. The O price was surprisingly comparable (until I read the fine print stating “per person” instead of “per couple,” which was the insuremytrip.com quote.

1 hour ago, janecambridge said:

Our recent booking for this December is per person.the page is split into two with a name either side and the cost pre person for everything.

so: 2x 288$ for hotel  2x 70$ transfers (from ship to  airport) Total of just over 700$.. Way too much for our liking.

I will be rather sad if anyone else  is paying per couple.

Curious

What hotel ?

2 hours ago, janecambridge said:

No idea yet. I guess whatever hotel Oceania uses. 

Thanks

Was looking at the sailing 

prices quoted in CAD  here for MIAMI  are $499.  for hotel/transfers  probably close to the USD rate you got

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks

Was looking at the sailing 

prices quoted in CAD  here for MIAMI  are $499.  for hotel/transfers  probably close to the USD rate you got

Is she in the UK? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 9:58 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

And you are correct that it is not!

I’ve already suggested that chloemonkey call O again AND do a “mock booking” on the O website (if possible) up to the point of “purchase.”

Based on two people and double occupancy rates (or one person paying for both spots, i.e., “DOUBLE OCCUPANCY”). S/he could also go ahead and pursue an actual booking over the phone (where the O agent will enter the booking for the TWO people in the “system”) That will generate the correct price due. And, if that’s still not enough proof, s/he could do the booking with O over the phone anyway and, when the new cruise invoice is received (including twice what was expected), fully understand what we’ve all been trying to explain. Then s/he can cancel that hotel booking as long as it is done within O’s pre-penalty cancel window.  
Next step would be to book the same hotel at approx half the O cost and contact the hotel concierge to arrange any necessary private transfers (OR check the mozio.com website for a first look at what the average private transfer is costing in that location).

With all this said (over and over again), I hope that chloemonkey can prove us wrong with a factual report back on what the bottom line PAID O cost turns out to be.

FWIW: On a lark, I recently compared the price of the woefully inadequate O cruise insurance to a somewhat similar low end policy at insuremytrip.com. The O price was surprisingly comparable (until I read the fine print stating “per person” instead of “per couple,” which was the insuremytrip.com quote.

Ok....I finally got around to doing a bit of research in order to respond - so here goes.....but know that I am not NEARLY as eloquent as you all seem to be.....

The price quoted online for pre and post hotels WAS for double occupancy as I had originally mentioned.  For the pre-cruise option - the price listed for the hotel that I chose (Rome had two options) was a bit over $600.  I looked up the best price that I could find for same hotel and it was $270 Euros.....which did NOT include VATS, city tax, etc.  So I estimated about $300 for the room for one night.  So when you add a total of FOUR transfers (two persons from airport to the hotel and then two persons from hotel to cruise port) that makes a total of four transfers.  I found these should be approx a total of $190 total for shared transportation.  Again, these quotes did not include taxes or gratuities.....so figure $200?  Which brings us to around $500 MINIMUM for the hotel and transfers both from the airport to the hotel AND from the hotel to the cruise port.  I am paying Oceania a bit over $600.  Seemed like a fair price for the convenience and "safety" that I felt booking with Oceania rather than doing it all on our own.

Return trip had only one hotel option and it was approx $335 for one night for two persons.  Transfers were a total of approx $275 for ship to hotel and then hotel to airport for two persons.  Total for the above would be about $610 - again, without taxes, fees or gratuities.  Oceania's fees for the hotel and all transfers was around $750.  

So of course we could have saved a few dollars.....but again, the price that appeared on MY web site page when doing my booking WAS quoted in DOUBLE OCCUPANCY totals.  But when I called Oceania TWO times to verify that I was not using incorrect amounts, they DID quote the fees "per person".....BUT the per person when doubled was exactly the price that showed up online as double occupancy costs.

So....you are all correct if you need validation regarding the fact that we could probably have done these reservations for hotels and transfers privately.  But we are also willing to pay for the comfort level in being part of the Oceania group will hopefully include......And I was also correct in that the fees that I was reading online WERE in fact for double occupancy.....and I did NOT do the "phony booking" as was suggested.....my CAS agent booked it after confirming that my figures and planning totals were in fact correct......so I do feel vindicated! 

Not sure why there seems to be so much discourse on these boards......or so it seems much of the time.......but thanks anyway if you all were truly trying to help and not make me wrong....

• Like 1

It appears that the hotel pricing is different on the US website and others as I just checked for a cruise this Summer and found it states price is based on double occupancy but per person... I think this is where the difference is - people were just trying to be helpful based on what they have found on the US website....glad it worked out for you!  

Hotel Almanac Barcelona
BCN029%C2%A0.jpg
Room Type
                                                                                                                          Standard Room                                                                                                  
Selected: Standard Room
1 Night   $349.00
2 Nights   $618.00
3 Nights    $887.00

If guests purchase any additional hotel nights on their own, they will forfeit the transfer that is normally included with the hotel package.

Breakfast buffet is included.

Show More

Prices are per person, based on double occupancy and subject to availability.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, basor said:

It appears that the hotel pricing is different on the US website and others as I just checked for a cruise this Summer and found it states price is based on double occupancy but per person... I think this is where the difference is - people were just trying to be helpful based on what they have found on the US website....glad it worked out for you!  

Hotel Almanac Barcelona
BCN029%C2%A0.jpg
Room Type
                                                                                                                          Standard Room                                                                                                  
Selected: Standard Room
1 Night   $349.00
2 Nights   $618.00
3 Nights    $887.00

If guests purchase any additional hotel nights on their own, they will forfeit the transfer that is normally included with the hotel package.

Breakfast buffet is included.

Show More

Prices are per person, based on double occupancy and subject to availability.

As many of us had said. But thanks for adding the proof.

4 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

Ok....I finally got around to doing a bit of research in order to respond - so here goes.....but know that I am not NEARLY as eloquent as you all seem to be.....

The price quoted online for pre and post hotels WAS for double occupancy as I had originally mentioned.  For the pre-cruise option - the price listed for the hotel that I chose (Rome had two options) was a bit over $600.  I looked up the best price that I could find for same hotel and it was $270 Euros.....which did NOT include VATS, city tax, etc.  So I estimated about $300 for the room for one night.  So when you add a total of FOUR transfers (two persons from airport to the hotel and then two persons from hotel to cruise port) that makes a total of four transfers.  I found these should be approx a total of $190 total for shared transportation.  Again, these quotes did not include taxes or gratuities.....so figure $200?  Which brings us to around $500 MINIMUM for the hotel and transfers both from the airport to the hotel AND from the hotel to the cruise port.  I am paying Oceania a bit over $600.  Seemed like a fair price for the convenience and "safety" that I felt booking with Oceania rather than doing it all on our own.

Return trip had only one hotel option and it was approx $335 for one night for two persons.  Transfers were a total of approx $275 for ship to hotel and then hotel to airport for two persons.  Total for the above would be about $610 - again, without taxes, fees or gratuities.  Oceania's fees for the hotel and all transfers was around $750.  

So of course we could have saved a few dollars.....but again, the price that appeared on MY web site page when doing my booking WAS quoted in DOUBLE OCCUPANCY totals.  But when I called Oceania TWO times to verify that I was not using incorrect amounts, they DID quote the fees "per person".....BUT the per person when doubled was exactly the price that showed up online as double occupancy costs.

So....you are all correct if you need validation regarding the fact that we could probably have done these reservations for hotels and transfers privately.  But we are also willing to pay for the comfort level in being part of the Oceania group will hopefully include......And I was also correct in that the fees that I was reading online WERE in fact for double occupancy.....and I did NOT do the "phony booking" as was suggested.....my CAS agent booked it after confirming that my figures and planning totals were in fact correct......so I do feel vindicated! 

Not sure why there seems to be so much discourse on these boards......or so it seems much of the time.......but thanks anyway if you all were truly trying to help and not make me wrong....

All you’ve got to do is stop misusing the term “double occupancy,” which only means two individuals are allowed and expected to occupy a  room.
It really has nothing to do with the price, which will almost always state “per person” or “per room” (with whatever occupancy requirement and/or limit is in effect).