Anyone flown into Bali and out of Singapore (or vice-versa) using Viking Air?

Men of Armour

Taking Viking's "Secrets of SE Asia" cruise in March 2023 but am very curious about the flight itineraries arriving Benoa and departing Singapore, esp. number of connections and flight times.  I'll be departing from Salt Lake City and assume main portion of flight will originate from LAX or SEA.  Any others?  Have heard recently too that one of the reasons Malaysia 370 was never found was because the batteries were dead in the ping box.  Based on that info, what airline(s) would you avoid flying that region of the world? 

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Edited by Men of Armour
misspelling

There are a jillion ways to get to/from DPS and SIN from the USA.  So who knows what the current Viking contract might provide for.  Know that there are NO nonstops between DPS and the USA, and you will have at least one connection from either LAX or SFO at best.  (Take a look....it's a long way!)

As for the lack of batteries....put away your tin foil hat.

I'm not a fan of Lion Air, but have no problems with most other airlines.  In fact, if you are on SQ or JL or NH or CX or others, you will have a better inflight experience than you would get in the USA.

• Like 1

SLC-DPS on Cruise Air? Sounds like the makings of a Sky High Airlines Friendmaker Flight...

3 hours ago, Men of Armour said:

Have heard recently too that one of the reasons Malaysia 370 was never found was because the batteries were dead in the ping box.  Based on that info, what airline(s) would you avoid flying that region of the world?

Err...I generally don't choose my airlines based on conspiracy theories...

I went to Bali a couple of years back (not a cruise), was in Hong Kong initially and was looking at Cathay Pacific (due to my top tier oneworld status) but settled on Garuda. They were flying widebody A330s with fully flat bed business class seats and longhaul style service on their flights between HKG and DPS. They were charging less than half Cathay Pacific's price and offered a better business class product overall (CX were using regional aircraft). I thought they were excellent for the most part and would definitely use them again in similar circumstances. 

Garuda are Skyteam partners with DL and given your SLC origination point I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a cobbled together Skyteam itinerary included Garuda featuring somewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Men of Armour said:

Have heard recently too that one of the reasons Malaysia 370 was never found was because the batteries were dead in the ping box.  Based on that info, what airline(s) would you avoid flying that region of the world? 

Well this is a new one for me. Hell, I have done work with Malaysia Airlines maintenance (I am an aero engineer that focuses on maintenance/repair/overhaul) and I've never heard this rumor before. I'd have no concerns getting on a Malaysia plane tomorrow. Hell, I was on that same aircraft a week before it disappeared. 

• Like 2

My wife and I are taking a Viking cruise from New Zealand to Bali in February 2023. We plan to travel Business class from the east coast. Viking would charge us 18,000 a couple. Flights for our cruise have just opened up. And Singapore Airlines seem to have the prices. Roughly between 12 and 13 thousand. Singapore has an excellent reputation for service. I would check them out. Our big question is when to book. Prices have alrea=dy gone up 200 dollars since last week. Also, what is nice about Singapore is in their basic business class they still have free ticket exchange, which would be a comfort to us in case the cruise gets canceled. I belied for a fee Viking also offers free cancelation.

5 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

My wife and I are taking a Viking cruise from New Zealand to Bali in February 2023. We plan to travel Business class from the east coast. Viking would charge us 18,000 a couple. Flights for our cruise have just opened up. And Singapore Airlines seem to have the prices. Roughly between 12 and 13 thousand. Singapore has an excellent reputation for service. I would check them out. Our big question is when to book. Prices have alrea=dy gone up 200 dollars since last week. Also, what is nice about Singapore is in their basic business class they still have free ticket exchange, which would be a comfort to us in case the cruise gets canceled. I belied for a fee Viking also offers free cancelation.

Are those figures per person? If so you need to look at RTW or Circle Pacific fares.

9 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

Singapore has an excellent reputation for service. I would check them out.

I have flown on Singapore Airlines in Business Class from Singapore to San Francisco with an intermediate stop at Hong Kong.  Excellent service!  If it's still available for dining, check their "Book the Cook" option.  

• Like 1

FYI, We booked Bali to Los Angelos with a 3 day stay in Singapore on Singapore Airlines using points. It costs us 125,000  points one way for business.  I am sure reverse direction about the same.We just transferred Am Ex points. As most of you know you often get better prices and access to using points if you join the airlines loyalty club. This ended up the easiest use of Am Ex points and the most bang for our bucks (or points).

• Like 1