Just Off the Allure

Enjoyed a nice 6 day cruise on the Allure (3/13-3/19). We are an older couple that have cruised 7 times, all on RCCL except for 1 Norwegian. So we are not experts but here are a few observations. Keep in mind we are older and we realize many things will never be as good as they use to be.

1. Food was very good, but not as good as 10 years ago.

2. Windjammer was ok (very good for breakfast) but they now serve you and that just makes the cluster, more of a cluster. The ship was not full thankfully so I would advise visiting the Windjammer only at non peak times.

3. We all felt the crew was as courteous as they have ever been. The service was fantastic. Everyone was soooo nice.

4. Embarkation and Debarkation a piece of cake. I really like the new customs facial recognition. We docked early at all 3 ports and got off the ship easily. 

5. We decided on My Time Dining and my only complaint was you cannot make reservations until onboard (via the app) and we were later boarding so most of the times we got were 7:45 or later. MTD starts at 6:30. We went down early 2 nights and they worked with us nicely but remember the ship was not full (4400 I believe).

6. The lines for guest services were Long for the 1st 2/3 days. They need to fix that.

Overall, we had a great cruise. Any questions, and we'll be happy to try and answer.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I made my MDT reservation in the cruise planner months before embarkation (Allure March 5, 22)

I did as well for my upcoming Explorer April 2022. It's not intuitive but once I saw people on here mention how to do it, it was great. But I also like for MTD you don't need to make reservations and can just show up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuckster said:

6. The lines for guest services were Long for the 1st 2/3 days. They need to fix that.

I have seen on the last few RC cruises that someone from Guest Services stands in the promenade and sort of Triages everyone who gets in the line. 

They weed out minor issues people have.

And direct others who have legit concerns.

This really seems to help cut down GS lines.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tuckster said:

Enjoyed a nice 6 day cruise on the Allure (3/13-3/19). We are an older couple that have cruised 7 times, all on RCCL except for 1 Norwegian. So we are not experts but here are a few observations. Keep in mind we are older and we realize many things will never be as good as they use to be.

2. Windjammer was ok (very good for breakfast) but they now serve you and that just makes the cluster, more of a cluster. The ship was not full thankfully so I would advise visiting the Windjammer only at non peak times.

3. We all felt the crew was as courteous as they have ever been. The service was fantastic. Everyone was soooo nice.

4. Embarkation and Debarkation a piece of cake. I really like the new customs facial recognition. We docked early at all 3 ports and got off the ship easily. 

5. We decided on My Time Dining and my only complaint was you cannot make reservations until onboard (via the app) and we were later boarding so most of the times we got were 7:45 or later. MTD starts at 6:30. We went down early 2 nights and they worked with us nicely but remember the ship was not full (4400 I believe).

Overall, we had a great cruise. Any questions, and we'll be happy to try and answer.

So glad you had a lovely time! We board a week from tomorrow 💜

i agree with you about the food. My first Royal Cruise was 2002, and the food was phenomenal. The past several years it was good,  but mostly not amazing .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bhsolo said:

I did as well for my upcoming Explorer April 2022. It's not intuitive but once I saw people on here mention how to do it, it was great. But I also like for MTD you don't need to make reservations and can just show up. 

This is true. Yes, you can just show up, however, if you are on a ship with high passenger load and come for dinner at a popular time, be prepared to wait. 

How many formal nights were there on your 6 night cruise?  Trying to plan around 2 dinners at specialty places.  

And how would one use cruise planning to book your MTD reservation?  You referring to the app or the main website?

Thanks

Just now, Yakker1749 said:

And how would one use cruise planning to book your MTD reservation?  You referring to the app or the main website?

Book MTD in the planner in a browser under the Dining tab.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yakker1749 said:

How many formal nights were there on your 6 night cruise?  Trying to plan around 2 dinners at specialty places.  

Thanks

Formal nights should be nights 2 and 5

On 4/2/2022 at 5:54 PM, Tuckster said:

Always enjoy reading about other experiences, especially when they are well organized and to the point like your comments. Just a suggestion, but you would likely really enjoy Celebrity. Also, just an FYI, the facial recognition debarkation is not new, it has been around since pre COVID days. 

We just returned from the Symphony followed by the Jewel and noticed in the Cruise Compass (incidentally were still in print form left on the bed each night by our cabin attendants). On each ship the was mentioned that the dress code for dinner other than the formal nights was casual, meaning men could wear shorts and not having to wear long pants. Anyone that's travelled on the Allure recently, can they provide information if they noticed either a casual or smart casual mentioned. We'll be on the Allure in seven weeks and want to pack accordingly. many men wore shorts with jerseys or shirts and nothing was mentioned as not being properly dressed. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

2 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

We just returned from the Symphony followed by the Jewel and noticed in the Cruise Compass (incidentally were still in print form left on the bed each night by our cabin attendants). On each ship the was mentioned that the dress code for dinner other than the formal nights was casual, meaning men could wear shorts and not having to wear long pants. Anyone that's travelled on the Allure recently, can they provide information if they noticed either a casual or smart casual mentioned. We'll be on the Allure in seven weeks and want to pack accordingly. many men wore shorts with jerseys or shirts and nothing was mentioned as not being properly dressed. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

I have been on six RCI cruises since last August and saw men wearing shorts in the MDR on every night of every cruise, including dress your best night. On the other hand, for what it’s worth, Celebrity strictly enforced men wearing pants in the MDR on the two recent Celebrity cruises I was on (Millennium and Apex). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cruise Kay said:

How was the entertainment?

The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers put on very good performances on both ships. As you most likely know there's no diving shows if that's what you're hoping to see. Also no Broadway style shows on either one. A ventriloquist that went from the Symphony to the Jewel was just so-so, nothing special. 

10 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

I was on Allure, March 5 sailing.  I did not even pack a pair of slacks.  Pleated shorts and a polo or short sleeve collared shirt every night; MDR and Specialty.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers put on very good performances on both ships. As you most likely know there's no diving shows if that's what you're hoping to see. Also no Broadway style shows on either one. A ventriloquist that went from the Symphony to the Jewel was just so-so, nothing special. 

I didn’t know that about the diving shows. Is that just Allure? Or all Oasis ships?

14 hours ago, Cruise Kay said:

How was the entertainment?

The Ice Show, Mamma Mia and Ocean Aria on Allure were all fantastic. There was live music all over the ship at various times. There was a comedy show and headliner show recently that ran multiple times, but we did not catch that one. They did a 70s party on the Promenade one night that was festive and fun. (All from 6 night sailing last week). 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, OttoCal said:

The Ice Show, Mamma Mia and Ocean Aria on Allure were all fantastic. There was live music all over the ship at various times. There was a comedy show and headliner show recently that ran multiple times, but we did not catch that one. They did a 70s party on the Promenade one night that was festive and fun. (All from 6 night sailing last week). 

How soon were you able to book the shows? We sail April 30th and they're not available yet.

17 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Always enjoy reading about other experiences, especially when they are well organized and to the point like your comments. Just a suggestion, but you would likely really enjoy Celebrity. Also, just an FYI, the facial recognition debarkation is not new, it has been around since pre COVID days. 

I made my time dining reservations on the cruise planner some time ago. 

• Like 1