Anything I need to know on bringing a wheelchair?

atexsix

I noticed on my booking there's a statement as follows:

"Guests who require the use of their own wheelchair or scooter onboard must contact their travel consultant or Princess for port, cabin and ship details."

What does this mean exactly?  They already stated they can't provide a wheelchair, we have to bring our own, so I'm not getting why I have to contact them.  The chair is only needed to go from the stateroom to someplace else on the ship, not in the room itself, and we don't need anything to be "accessible". 

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

I noticed on my booking there's a statement as follows:

"Guests who require the use of their own wheelchair or scooter onboard must contact their travel consultant or Princess for port, cabin and ship details."

What does this mean exactly?  They already stated they can't provide a wheelchair, we have to bring our own, so I'm not getting why I have to contact them.  The chair is only needed to go from the stateroom to someplace else on the ship, not in the room itself, and we don't need anything to be "accessible". 

Not sure why they ask for this info.  My wife often uses a wheel chair or scooter, and we have an ADA room, so we fill it out to better document the need for the extra space in the room.  

We are embarking on the new Discovery this Sunday, but they have VERY few ADA rooms and we did not get one, so we are trying this cruise without her using a chair or scooter on board.  Just not enough room in a standard cabin for them.  Hoping for good results!

• Like 1

If you won't be in a handicap cabin, your wheelchair won't fit throught the door (unless it folds up). There's also very little room in most cabins (inside, ocean view) to store even a folded up wheelchair. They're not supposed to be stored outside the cabin, altho' some do it anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Guardsy said:

Not sure why they ask for this info.  My wife often uses a wheel chair or scooter, and we have an ADA room, so we fill it out to better document the need for the extra space in the room.  

We are embarking on the new Discovery this Sunday, but they have VERY few ADA rooms and we did not get one, so we are trying this cruise without her using a chair or scooter on board.  Just not enough room in a standard cabin for them.  Hoping for good results!

We've thought about that.  About bringing a walker.  Dad can use it just fine, but I thought a chair would be more comfortable for him.  But if a chair complicates things at a time when cruising can't possibly get anymore complicated, then we'll forget it.  

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

If you won't be in a handicap cabin, your wheelchair won't fit throught the door (unless it folds up). There's also very little room in most cabins (inside, ocean view) to store even a folded up wheelchair. They're not supposed to be stored outside the cabin, altho' some do it anyway.

Yes it folds up.  We wouldn't leave it in the hallway which would be a hazard in an emergency.  We are traveling with minimal luggage to make room for the chair, I can't wheel him and deal with multiple suitcases as it is. 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1

@atexsix

You will have no trouble storing the folding chair in your cabin.  Princess has the best closet space... no doors, fully open area.  The chair will tuck in there just fine, and will be fully out of your way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, atexsix said:

One of the reasons you need to contact them is that in the event of an emergency, they need to know which passengers may need additional assistance.   A passenger does not have to be in an accessible room to need assistance in an emergency.  

There is also a Mobility Questionnaire you have to complete.

Every cruise line we've been on requires this information (assuming you are bringing mobility or medical equipment).  

None of this is a big deal to us; it's basically just a form to complete.   

If you haven't seen it already, here is some information from the Princess website regarding accessible cruising.  Scroll down to the section about Mobility Equipment Guidance.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/?accordion=accessible-cruising

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

One of the reasons you need to contact them is that in the event of an emergency, they need to know which passengers may need additional assistance.   A passenger does not have to be in an accessible room to need assistance in an emergency.  

There is also a Mobility Questionnaire you have to complete.

Every cruise line we've been on requires this information (assuming you are bringing mobility or medical equipment).  

None of this is a big deal to us; it's basically just a form to complete.   

If you haven't seen it already, here is some information from the Princess website regarding accessible cruising.  Scroll down to the section about Mobility Equipment Guidance.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/?accordion=accessible-cruising

Thanks.  Hopefully I'll have better luck with customer service than what I've experienced lately.  

I'm hitting myself for not going through my TA friend.  

It's not a big deal.  If you are in an accessible cabin they send you the form.

Google 'princess mobility questionnaire'.

It needs to be sent to the access department listed on the form.

When onboard you can let your cabin steward or someone at the passenger services desk know if you would need extra assistance in the event of an emergency.  They keep a list.

As far as pushing your dad in the chair as well as handling luggage....if you have wheeled luggage with an extending handle, put the handle at the same height as the wheelchair handle and hold both in one hand.  It makes you quite a 'wide load', but it works.  You may be 'fast tracked' if you are boarding with a wheelchair.  They may also offer someone to push your dad right to the cabin while you take the luggage.  

Help is also available at the airport if you are flying.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

I'm hitting myself for not going through my TA friend.  

When did you book your cruise?    There is a timeframe after you book through Princess within whch you can still transfer your reservation to a travel agent.  This timeframe was 60 days in February 2022.   Princess will have you complete a Reservation Transfer Request Form and return it to them and they will transfer your reservation to your travel agent.     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

We've thought about that.  About bringing a walker.  Dad can use it just fine, but I thought a chair would be more comfortable for him.  But if a chair complicates things at a time when cruising can't possibly get anymore complicated, then we'll forget it.  

Definitely request wheelchair assistance (someone to push the wheelchair) both through your airline if you are flying and at the cruise port.    There are numerous discussions of this in the Disabled Cruise Travel thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

• Like 1

From personal experience in February with a rollator (walker on wheels with a seat) you need to know how far you are from the nearest elevator.  The rollator when unfolded is the same size as a wheelchair.  I need it for stability on the moving ship. Our cabin was a forward facing deluxe balcony, front of ship.  The problem I noticed when going from our room to the elevator was getting around all the carts that the cabin stewards use.  For me, I just folded the rollator up a bit and then pushed it through, but in a wheel chair you would need to have your dad get up and walk past the cart, fold the chair, move it past the cart, then unfold it again.  If you are close by it won't be much of a problem but if you have more hallway to traverse, it could be.  You could also look for the cabin steward to move the cart for you.  Also, I think filling out the mobility form helps the dining room know you will need a table your dad can get to

• Like 1

We helped our friend in the last Princess cruise she was on with us. Brought a light weight folding wheelchair on. Did not need to fill in form. She had us to assist but could get around with a cane, so it really was not necessary to contact Princess before hand.

if someone has more serious need for crew assistance then the forms should be filled in.

pack your patience. Some will make sure they get on the elevator, trip over you etc.  I could not believe what was happening. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

When did you book your cruise?    There is a timeframe after you book through Princess within whch you can still transfer your reservation to a travel agent.  This timeframe was 60 days in February 2022.   Princess will have you complete a Reservation Transfer Request Form and return it to them and they will transfer your reservation to your travel agent.     

I checked before I saw your post.  We booked after final payment, so I don't think we can do it.  I think we'll be fine with customer service though.

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Definitely request wheelchair assistance (someone to push the wheelchair) both through your airline if you are flying and at the cruise port.    There are numerous discussions of this in the Disabled Cruise Travel thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

Oh I'll have to, I wouldn't be able to maneuver the chair on the gangway, lots of tight corners, uphill/downhill, connecting points, etc.

I will check out the link, thanks. 

6 hours ago, cruisn43 said:

It's not a big deal.  If you are in an accessible cabin they send you the form.

Google 'princess mobility questionnaire'.

It needs to be sent to the access department listed on the form.

When onboard you can let your cabin steward or someone at the passenger services desk know if you would need extra assistance in the event of an emergency.  They keep a list.

As far as pushing your dad in the chair as well as handling luggage....if you have wheeled luggage with an extending handle, put the handle at the same height as the wheelchair handle and hold both in one hand.  It makes you quite a 'wide load', but it works.  You may be 'fast tracked' if you are boarding with a wheelchair.  They may also offer someone to push your dad right to the cabin while you take the luggage.  

Help is also available at the airport if you are flying.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks.  I have been dreaming up all sorts of luggage options from duffles to backpacks.  Usually he needs a chair the moment we enter the terminal because there's never anyplace to sit at Seattle's Smith Cove.  From there they direct us to a special line, and with Holland America at least, they will wheel him through security, through check in, and to the stateroom, their wonderful, it'd be hell on earth if we had to fend for ourselves.  I sure hope Princess is just as accomodating.

Edited by atexsix

5 hours ago, yoyosma said:

From personal experience in February with a rollator (walker on wheels with a seat) you need to know how far you are from the nearest elevator.  The rollator when unfolded is the same size as a wheelchair.  I need it for stability on the moving ship. Our cabin was a forward facing deluxe balcony, front of ship.  The problem I noticed when going from our room to the elevator was getting around all the carts that the cabin stewards use.  For me, I just folded the rollator up a bit and then pushed it through, but in a wheel chair you would need to have your dad get up and walk past the cart, fold the chair, move it past the cart, then unfold it again.  If you are close by it won't be much of a problem but if you have more hallway to traverse, it could be.  You could also look for the cabin steward to move the cart for you.  Also, I think filling out the mobility form helps the dining room know you will need a table your dad can get to

Thanks.  Actually they asked in the Medallion app when I made the rsvp if we needed an accessible table, of course I said yes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dog said:

We helped our friend in the last Princess cruise she was on with us. Brought a light weight folding wheelchair on. Did not need to fill in form. She had us to assist but could get around with a cane, so it really was not necessary to contact Princess before hand.

if someone has more serious need for crew assistance then the forms should be filled in.

pack your patience. Some will make sure they get on the elevator, trip over you etc.  I could not believe what was happening. 

Well now that's exactly what I was wondering, Dad can get by just fine with a cane if the terminals and ships saw fit to put out some seating near elevators, etc.  Standing for God knows how long in various lines are the culprit, he's not permanently confined to a chair.  But you'd be surprised how few places there are, except near bars and lounges of course, there's always thousands of seats available when they need to sell something 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

Well now that's exactly what I was wondering, Dad can get by just fine with a cane if the terminals and ships saw fit to put out some seating near elevators, etc.  Standing for God knows how long in various lines are the culprit, he's not permanently confined to a chair.  But you'd be surprised how few places there are, except near bars and lounges of course, there's always thousands of seats available when they need to sell something 🙂 

Have you or your father considered a seat cane?

For example https://www.elderluxe.com/mobility/walking-sticks-and-canes/seat-canes/

There are other designs out there available from other vendors.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Have you or your father considered a seat cane?

For example https://www.elderluxe.com/mobility/walking-sticks-and-canes/seat-canes/

There are other designs out there available from other vendors.

Thanks I will look into it, I tried to improvise with something like it a couple cruises ago but I couldn't make it work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atexsix said:

Thanks I will look into it, I tried to improvise with something like it a couple cruises ago but I couldn't make it work.

I use a walker with a seat, foldable 

Edited by ozscotart
Additional information
  • Like 1

My wife is partially disabled and we travel with a Drive Scooter (4 wheel) all the time.  Have never had an ADA room on a cruise ship but have never had a problem with the scooter.  

Our scooter is 19 1/2 inches in width and passes through any cabin door easily if you are careful.  We have always had a balcony cabin and have never had a problem with the scooter being in the cabin with us.

You will have to fill out the Mobility Questionnaire and send it to accessoffice@princesscruises.com

who will then send you an email confirming your submission.

There may be an issue when you are boarding any tenders to get to a port if they are needed.

A folding wheel chair should not be a problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ozscotart said:

I use a walker with a seat, foldable 

We have one, and he thinks he'll be fine with that.

40 minutes ago, famski740 said:

My wife is partially disabled and we travel with a Drive Scooter (4 wheel) all the time.  Have never had an ADA room on a cruise ship but have never had a problem with the scooter.  

Our scooter is 19 1/2 inches in width and passes through any cabin door easily if you are careful.  We have always had a balcony cabin and have never had a problem with the scooter being in the cabin with us.

You will have to fill out the Mobility Questionnaire and send it to accessoffice@princesscruises.com

who will then send you an email confirming your submission.

There may be an issue when you are boarding any tenders to get to a port if they are needed.

A folding wheel chair should not be a problem.

It's too late, it says it has to be submitted 60 days before the cruise and we don't have that.  

We'll just forget it and make do with a cane, sigh.

@atexsix I would send the form anyways and ask for confirmation email from them.  Your dad's needs aren't complicated and he has you for assistance.   I don't think they will turn you away if you show up with a wheelchair.  Others have commented that they don't even fill out the form. 

Yes, moving through the halls with a wheelchair can be a challenge.  I looked for a steward to move the cart, but if I didn't see someone I moved the cart aside (into the wider space by the cabin) so that my husband could pass and then moved it back.  Hopefully you aren't too far away from a set of elevators.

I've read some of your posts on the HAL board.  We've never sailed HAL, but I'm sure you will find the crew on Princess helpful as well.  

Elevator advise...get on an elevator with room available even if it is not going in the direction you want to go.  Your ride will be a bit longer, but you ultimately wait a shorter time.  Drive straight on and then back out.  Don't let someone tell you to move to a corner as it makes getting out harder.  We found that the mid ship elevators overlooking the piazza were often less busy.  

If your dad finds the wheelchair helpful on board you might want to explore some of the portable folding power chairs.  There are a bunch of models available.  I would provide him some independence, and you wouldn't have to push his chair. 

Wishing you all the best on Princess.

• Like 1

We've cruised with Princess numerous times and if you don't have/need a wheelchair accessible room or other items such as a higher toilet seat, then you don't have to fill out the form. 

When we first began cruising, our disabled family member used a cane, and we filled out the form to request only boarding assistance.  But inevitably we would get there and there was no one with a list waiting to help.  We learned we had to request the assistance as soon as we entered the cruise terminal or there would be no assistance. 

Over the years our family member's disability progressed to where he is wheelchair bound and has been the last 10 years.  Also, the carryons have increased a Bipap, a portable oxygen concentrator, a backpack with medicine/medical and a personal backpack, so there is no way I can carry all of this and push him.  

So when we get dropped off at the terminal with the porters, I ask for help with him to get him to the terminal doors.  The porters have always helped (for which I tip) and then when I get to the Princess reps outside, I insist on assistance.  They may try to tell you that you have to get through security first, but if you are insistent explaining that you can't carry everything and push, they will obtain one of the princess local reps to help.  (Because now-unlike when we first began cruising- the onboard crew can't go past security to provide assistance.).   

The Princess rep provides the assistance through security and sometimes all the way to the ship.  We would really prefer the more common procedure of being handed off to a crew member for boarding because the Princess reps can't go onto the ship and the crew member can take you to your cabin or dining.

So don't let filling out the form/submitting it stop you from bringing on a wheelchair which would help both you and your dad, both on the ship and in port as well. 

A walker could be used part of the time to give your dad increased mobility, but the ship is large and you don't want your dad to be so tired or dread the long distances that it may impact the cruise experience.

I saw your question on the disabled cruisers board and you can actually carry the walker on the wheelchair.  Used the leg rests and have your dad hold the top.  This is what we used to do before our family member could no longer use a walker.  Best to practice positioning it at home in preparation for cruise.  Don't check it unless it is swathed in bubble wrap and in a box.  Otherwise you will likely have a warped, vent, or crushed walker.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I go along with everyone else.

Just because it is not within the time frame stated, I would still send the request to the access department.

Whenever we arrive for embarkation, no one ever knows we submitted the request because they are not informed.  Bring the wheel chair so that you will not regret it.  They will not turn you away for having it.  The only reason you have to fill out the access form is so that the quest services knows that there is a handicapped person in a specific room in case of an emergency, and assistance is required.