WiFi package question help value or social?

helene109

I *think* on social you can ONLY get certain websites like Facebook, Twitter, etc. whereas on value you can get on most major websites and you can't download movies or music, but it is slower than premium.  Premium is slow so I can't even imagine how bad value is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I find it seems to vary greatly by ship, and to some extent location. G5 seems to impact satellite WiFi, like near Miami for example. Had great experience on Mardi Gras, not so great on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam, which is a Signature Class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I *think* on social you can ONLY get certain websites like Facebook, Twitter, etc. whereas on value you can get on most major websites and you can't download movies or music, but it is slower than premium.  Premium is slow so I can't even imagine how bad value is. 

Eli is correct.  But Value is absolutely fine for any routine web page or email.  We used to do only Social but have gone with Value in '21 and '22 because I have needed to maintain a modest level of professional business communication.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FiredogCruiser said:

I find it seems to vary greatly by ship, and to some extent location. G5 seems to impact satellite WiFi, like near Miami for example. Had great experience on Mardi Gras, not so great on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam, which is a Signature Class.

Yes, I would agree with this.  We did fine on MG and Vista.  Went on Breeze and it was HORRIBLE. It took my husband hours to do what normally takes 20 minutes.

• Thanks 2

I use Value to accomplish my "priorities"....outlook email, 2 websites that I check daily for free e-books, downloading books to my Kindle from the library, Amazon and the cloud. I was also able to use it for phone calls over wi-fi with the phone in airplane mode (on Carnival NOT NCL). I was unable to do any of this with Social. 

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Strawberry Daquiri said:

What does the requirement mean “one device accessing WiFi?”  I want Wi-Fi for all 4 of us.

If all 4 need to be able to use the internet concurrently then you will need to purchase 4 plans.

All 4 of you can share one plan, but you will need to each log in and out as needed because a plan can only be active on one device at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i was recently on the Carnival Freedom with the Premium Plan.

Most times, it was running at about 30 Kbps (remember when you had dialup and your max speed on the modem was 24.4?)

The best I saw was 3 Mbps. (That was only once)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, melodyesch said:

The package looks like both people in the cabin have to have it.  Can only one person get it?  I completely unplug on vacation, but my DH likes to check the news, his email and the Times crossword.

I think what you'll find is that Value and Social are priced for one person. At check-out you can select (and add the cost of) other members in your booking.

• Like 1

I had the premium package on the Vista. It worked great and I was able to do everything I would normally do if it was on land. I can call, text, facetime, upload stories to IG, post on facebook, browse social media, check e-mail, check bank accounts. I debated for a while about which level I should get and in the end I just went all out. I figure why pay for wifi and be limited in what I can do. I was only hoping the internet worked well and it did. I'm cruising on the Mardi Gras in December and I'm going with the Premium plan again.