Question about sushi to go at Izumi

It would not be an issue if requested.  But each time you would do it counts as one meal for that day on the UDP.  Just to be clear the UDP does not mean unlimited number of meals - it means unlimited choice from the number of specialty restaurants for each night's dinner. (And typically two lunches).  This allows each person with the UDP a specialty restaurant dinner each night, plus the two lunches on any two days during the week.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It would be an issue if requested.  But each time you would do it counts as one meal for that day on the UDP.  Just to be clear the UDP does not mean unlimited number of meals - it means unlimited choice from the number of specialty restaurants for each night's dinner. (And typically two lunches).

You can eat in multiple specialty restaurants daily. There is no limit. The 2 times we ordered from Izumi some sushi for our "happy hour" we then ate at a different specialty restaurant later that same evening. Some people will eat dinner at a specialty restaurant and then go to a different one for dessert, no issues.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SWACruising said:

You can eat in multiple specialty restaurants daily. There is no limit. The 2 times we ordered from Izumi some sushi for our "happy hour" we then ate at a different specialty restaurant later that same evening. Some people will eat dinner at a specialty restaurant and then go to a different one for dessert, no issues.

First I've heard of that and was not our understanding with the times we did it.  Guess it wasn't explained clearly to me.  I always understood it to mean one dinner per day plus the two lunches during the week.  I get that someone may have a dinner at one and desert in another, but I've not heard of it allowing, say, for two dinners in a given day.  I also would have thought that the Izumi happy hour may have been treated as one of the two included lunches.

If that's the case it certainly will take on a new spin for us next time we do it!  😄

I don’t think it was happy hour AT Izumi, just that the PP ate sushi as a happy hour snack.  I’ve never heard of restrictions on the unlimited nature of the plan.

Edited by poocher

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

First I've heard of that and was not out understanding with the times we did it.  I always understood it to mean one dinner per day plus the two lunches during the week.  I get that someone may have a dinner at one and desert in another, but I've not heard of it allowing, say, for two dinners in a given day.  I also would have thought that the Izumi happy hour may have been treated as one of the two included lunches.

I'm no expert and certainly not as experienced as you are. Just basing it on my first experience with UDP last week. In my research I thought I read that there was no limit. May need to close out a tab and start a new one but if you wanted, you could order multiple meals. We ate every dinner in a specialty and one of the 2 lunches along with Playmakers quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

I don’t think it was happy hour AT Izumi, just that the PP ate sushi as a happy hour snack.  I’ve never heard of restrictions on the unlimited nature of the plan.

You are correct. It was OUR happy hour on our balcony. Sushi and martinis. A week removed and I'm sad already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SWACruising said:

I'm no expert and certainly not as experienced as you are. Just basing it on my first experience with UDP last week. In my research I thought I read that there was no limit. May need to close out a tab and start a new one but if you wanted, you could order multiple meals. We ate every dinner in a specialty and one of the 2 lunches along with Playmakers quite a bit.

Just because I've maybe cruised more doesn't mean I know more!  I could be very much wrong - and happily so - about this.  We've never tried unlimited meals with the plan - always just the one dinner per night and the two lunches.  But live and learn!  I will definitely take a different look at this next time!  LOL.

Either way it is usually a pretty good value - especially on Oasis class ships with the different specialty restaurants. 

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just because I've cruised more doesn't mean I know more!  I could be very much wrong - and happily so - about this.  We've never tried unlimited meals with the plan - always just the one dinner per night and the two lunches.  But live and learn!  I will definitely take a different look at this next time!  LOL

No worries. I remember the Eagles logo so I'm sure I used some of your wealth of knowledge to help me plan this cruise after being away for many years. It's members like yourself that provide incredible amounts of help to many of us and it's much appreciated. I can't see eating multiple evening meals as they have to roll me out after 1 but the sushi lends itself well to hold you over for a late dinner.

3 minutes ago, SWACruising said:

No worries. I remember the Eagles logo so I'm sure I used some of your wealth of knowledge to help me plan this cruise after being away for many years. It's members like yourself that provide incredible amounts of help to many of us and it's much appreciated. I can't see eating multiple evening meals as they have to roll me out after 1 but the sushi lends itself well to hold you over for a late dinner.

I appreciate your comments.  I like to try to be helpful.  But I find that at times my information may be incorrect and I don't want to unintentionally mislead anyone.  That is why I also try to acknowledge when I am corrected by the many more knowledgeable cruisers on these boards.

As I said- live and learn!   Enjoy your cruises!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I appreciate your comments.  I like to try to be helpful.  But I find that at times my information may be incorrect and I don't want to unintentionally mislead anyone.  That is why I also try to acknowledge when I am corrected by the many more knowledgeable cruisers on these boards.

As I said- live and learn!   Enjoy your cruises!

As a added bonus they will zero out your tab and start a new one if you go over your credit limit at Playmakers or Izumi. Plus a hefty credit towards chef's table.

What's Included

• Unlimited visits to speciality dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days. 
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $10 surcharge, Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge, and Dadong is included, with a $35 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.
Edited by taglovestocruise

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

As a added bonus they will zero out your tab and start a new one if you go over your credit limit at Playmakers or Izumi. Plus a hefty credit towards chef's table.

What's Included

• Unlimited visits to speciality dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days. 
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $10 surcharge, Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge, and Dadong is included, with a $35 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

Well the first line of "What's Included" certainly can be interpreted as unlimited meals!

This is also an updated info sheet from our original pre-pandemic UDP regarding the last line of other venues, along with your comments regarding the new tab.  

Good to know - thanks for posting.

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well the first line of "What's Included" certainly can be interpreted as unlimited meals!

This is also an updated info sheet from our original pre-pandemic UDP regarding the last line of other venues, along with your comments regarding the new tab.  

Good to know - thanks for posting.

And as we all know with Royal, things change ship to ship, sailing to sailing and day to day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chiguypaul said:

I’ve seen a couple people here say that they can get sushi to go from Izumi on the unlimited dining plan. Is that the exception to the rule or is it something that they do without issue regularly if requested?

We've never had a problem on getting it to go or seeing others order it to go when we are waiting for them to seat us however more often than not we and others have been told there is a 45 to 60 minute wait.  I'm sure it depends on when you go but if they are busy you may have to wait a while.  We have just ordered and then come back to pick it up.

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We've never had a problem on getting it to go or seeing others order it to go when we are waiting for them to seat us however more often than not we and others have been told there is a 45 to 60 minute wait.  I'm sure it depends on when you go but if they are busy you may have to wait a while.  We have just ordered and then come back to pick it up.

...and as mentioned on this thread, are the meals also unlimited, as in more than one dinner at multiple restaurants per day plus the lunches?  Ken,  I'm jus thinking you would be able to also confirm this.  I was unsure.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...and as mentioned on this thread, are the meals also unlimited, as in more than one dinner at multiple restaurants per day plus the lunches?  Ken,  I'm jus thinking you would be able to also confirm this.  I was unsure.

I have never had the room for 2 dinners but we have dined multiple times the same day at Portside BBQ and Playmakers and also eaten at a full serve specialty restaurant on the same day without any issues and I have never read of anyone getting stopped from using the package too much.

I know on a sea day my daughter and I went to Portside for lunch around noon.  Back at 4:00 for snacks, an 8:00 dinner at a restaurant then some late night food at playmakers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

I’ve seen a couple people here say that they can get sushi to go from Izumi on the unlimited dining plan. Is that the exception to the rule or is it something that they do without issue regularly if requested?

We do sushi to go at least once on every cruise - sometimes twice, depending on the menu choices in other restaurants. The new sushi menu is a bit weird, with everything in panko breading and flash fried, so we always order "off menu" and request traditional sushi instead of what's on the menu. We typically go in as soon as the restaurant opens and place our to go order for later that evening - and then have a nice romantic sushi "picnic" on our balcony.