Medallion Net Clarification

Calif Explorer

Could someone clarify how the 4-device plan work?  Can my spouse and myself share our 4 devices (2 ipads and 2 iphone) and use them all concurrently?  Do we need to sign on with the same login and password?   If I assume the sign-in is only with one medallion, could you log on all your devices once in the AM on the one medallion purchased or do the different devices automatically log off after not being used and need to be re-logged again on the one medallion?  Once logged in, do the devices need to be close to the medallion or could they be used separately in different areas of the ship.   Thanks for any input on internet usage.

17 minutes ago, Calif Explorer said:

Could someone clarify how the 4-device plan work?  Can my spouse and myself share our 4 devices (2 ipads and 2 iphone) and use them all concurrently?  Do we need to sign on with the same login and password?   If I assume the sign-in is only with one medallion, could you log on all your devices once in the AM on the one medallion purchased or do the different devices automatically log off after not being used and need to be re-logged again on the one medallion?  Once logged in, do the devices need to be close to the medallion or could they be used separately in different areas of the ship.   Thanks for any input on internet usage.

First two questions.  YES.  YES.  

The physical Medallion has NOTHING to do with the internet.  You connect devices to ship's Wifi and when an internet plan is in-place, you can login and access the WWW.

You only need the one 4-device plan (costs same as two 1-device plans).

As for whether your device will remain logged in.... a phone likely, but PC's/tablets often go to sleep if unattended, but it is NBD to reconnect if lose it.

You can be anywhere on the ship as they have tons of Wifi access points around the ship.  The closer you are to one, the stronger the signal.

• Like 1

Also, you need to select Medallion Net in Wi Fi and go to medallionclass.com in browser to activate your internet plan. I kept getting messages that were hard to read in sunlight and thought I had wrong password' The problem was no connection to medallion net. Help Desk set me up for Auto Join in Settings, so that I automatically connected to Wi Fi.

In one case I had left iPad connected in cabin. On Deck the system said, "you are already connected on another device, would you like to disconnect that device and connect this device?' Nice feature, save going back to cabin 🙂

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, Steelers36 said:

First two questions.  YES.  YES.  

The physical Medallion has NOTHING to do with the internet.  You connect devices to ship's Wifi and when an internet plan is in-place, you can login and access the WWW.

You only need the one 4-device plan (costs same as two 1-device plans).

As for whether your device will remain logged in.... a phone likely, but PC's/tablets often go to sleep if unattended, but it is NBD to reconnect if lose it.

You can be anywhere on the ship as they have tons of Wifi access points around the ship.  The closer you are to one, the stronger the signal.

Is it the same password for all 4 devices?

About a month ago, I went to the app and successfully purchased 4-device plan for my two B2b cruise.  The 1st cruise is a 5-day cruise and the 2nd cruise is 22-day.  My 2nd cruise prices dropped a lot, so, today I cancelled and rebooked my 2nd cruise.  Now I need to buy the internet again for the 2nd cruise (since it is now a new booking with a new booking number).  When I went to the app's Medallion Net, now both bookings showing "No plans available to purchase".

My travel friend has her own cabin, and different booking number than mine, and she has not make any changes to her b2b bookings.  She has not purchase the internet plan because I plan to let her share my 4-device plan.  So, I asked her to go to the app and go to her 2 bookings and see if she can purchase (just to see if she will get the same message).  She also got the same message "no plans available to purchase".

Anybody has the same experience?  Thank you.

Just off B2B where DH bought the 4 device plan for the entire cruise on his account. We often had all four devices in use with no problem. My laptop was continuously online but I often had to reconnect my cell phone as I kept getting dropped on occasion. 

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

About a month ago, I went to the app and successfully purchased 4-device plan for my two B2b cruise.  The 1st cruise is a 5-day cruise and the 2nd cruise is 22-day.  My 2nd cruise prices dropped a lot, so, today I cancelled and rebooked my 2nd cruise.  Now I need to buy the internet again for the 2nd cruise (since it is now a new booking with a new booking number).  When I went to the app's Medallion Net, now both bookings showing "No plans available to purchase".

My travel friend has her own cabin, and different booking number than mine, and she has not make any changes to her b2b bookings.  She has not purchase the internet plan because I plan to let her share my 4-device plan.  So, I asked her to go to the app and go to her 2 bookings and see if she can purchase (just to see if she will get the same message).  She also got the same message "no plans available to purchase".

I encountered the same message.  And the prepaid wifi on two of my future cruises are not showing up! I wonder how I would prove my purchase other than my credit card statement.

14 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

I encountered the same message.  And the prepaid wifi on two of my future cruises are not showing up! I wonder how I would prove my purchase other than my credit card statement.

It should show on your Travel Summary.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

That started occurring when they raised the price of the Internet packages.  Suspect that they are still getting the new prices worked through the system.   You might have to wait and purchase on board.  

17 minutes ago, ldtr said:

That started occurring when they raised the price of the Internet packages.  Suspect that they are still getting the new prices worked through the system.   You might have to wait and purchase on board.  

The price is higher if purchase on board.

58 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

The price is higher if purchase on board.

It is my understanding that that may have changed with the price increase.

Your other alternative is to do it using Chat or by phone with customer service.

6 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Other notes above explain why the error may be occurring. 

There is no particular need to order MedallionNet packages in advance any longer since the pricing will be the same on board 

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Other notes above explain why the error may be occurring. 

There is no particular need to order MedallionNet packages in advance any longer since the pricing will be the same on board 

That's actually a good thing as I usually have plenty of OBC (book standard fare)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:02 PM, Steelers36 said:

Not any more.  As of the new pricing, the on-board pricing is the same.

The difference is: Pre purchase with your 

50% discount now.  
Or, wait till your OB to purchase, you pay full price and get the 50% discount back in OBC. 

That’s okay if you want OBC. I don’t. 

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The difference is: Pre purchase with your 

50% discount now.  
Or, wait till your OB to purchase, you pay full price and get the 50% discount back in OBC. 

That’s okay if you want OBC. I don’t. 

No, you have it backwards.  The only people who end up with OBC are those for whom the 50% discount at point-of-purchase does not work in Princess App.  If you are buying Medallion Net on board, the stateroom account is just charged to net 50%.  (This is why anyone who does have to receive OBC, must get it as Refundable so all are treated the same).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

No, you have it backwards.  The only people who end up with OBC are those for whom the 50% discount at point-of-purchase does not work in Princess App.  If you are buying Medallion Net on board, the stateroom account is just charged to net 50%.  (This is why anyone who does have to receive OBC, must get it as Refundable so all are treated the same).

Right.  That was the way we were doing it, because of their errors on the App.

But, you said it doesn’t make any difference if you buy it ahead of time, as opposed to buying it OB.  

When they put in the new pricing on the website, the way they have stated it, sounds like you will

get your 50% discount in OBC.

Unlimited and Affordable Internet

Choose from one-device or four-device packages starting from just $15 USD. Packages are available with additional savings as part of our Princess Plus and Princess Premier Packages. They can also be purchased pre-cruise and on board through the MedallionClass app. Platinum and Elite guests get an exclusive discount of 50% off*.

*Discount will be applied on board in the form of an onboard credit.

Maybe I’m not reading it right.  Regardless, I’m buying mine ahead, with the 50% discount. 🙃

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Right.  That was the way we were doing it, because of their errors on the App.

But, you said it doesn’t make any difference if you buy it ahead of time, as opposed to buying it OB.  

When they put in the new pricing on the website, the way they have stated it, sounds like you will

get your 50% discount in OBC.

Unlimited and Affordable Internet

Choose from one-device or four-device packages starting from just $15 USD. Packages are available with additional savings as part of our Princess Plus and Princess Premier Packages. They can also be purchased pre-cruise and on board through the MedallionClass app. Platinum and Elite guests get an exclusive discount of 50% off*.

*Discount will be applied on board in the form of an onboard credit.

Maybe I’m not reading it right.  Regardless, I’m buying mine ahead, with the 50% discount. 🙃

Not sure which Princess.com page you refer to, but the CC Benefits doc has always said that.  

I think folks expect the 50% off at purchase as long as the $%×**&$÷=_# App recognizes their correct CC Member Level.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:02 PM, Steelers36 said:

Not any more.  As of the new pricing, the on-board pricing is the same.

Can you please let me know where you heard of the new policy that "on-board pricing" is the same pricing as "pre-purchase on Medallion net"?    

I am Elite, and plan to buy the 4-device plan on the app for my early April cruise (22 day) as soon as Princess fixes the error that will give 50% discount to Platinum/Elite members.   But if the pricing is the same, then I rather buy it on board, because I have a lot of OBC remaining even after paying gratuities. 

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Can you please let me know where you heard of the new policy that "on-board pricing" is the same pricing as "pre-purchase on Medallion net"?    

I am Elite, and plan to buy the 4-device plan on the app for my early April cruise (22 day) as soon as Princess fixes the error that will give 50% discount to Platinum/Elite members.   But if the pricing is the same, then I rather buy it on board, because I have a lot of OBC remaining even after paying gratuities. 

Thank you.

I am curious when that error returned as it was fixed last year.  Does it seem timed with the new pricing?  Has Princess acknowledged the bug is back?  This will be the third time fixing it.  

As to the question, it is from Princess HQ.  Also, I have seen nothing posted or similar with anything suggesting otherwise.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am curious when that error returned as it was fixed last year.  Does it seem timed with the new pricing?  Has Princess acknowledged the bug is back?  This will be the third time fixing it.  

As to the question, it is from Princess HQ.  Also, I have seen nothing posted or similar with anything suggesting otherwise.

The error occurred, when they started changing all the pricing.  Over a month ago, maybe 5 weeks ago.  The App showed “no plans available to purchase.”

I contacted IT and they said they would look into it.  They fixed the verbage and then it came back as “Elite Platinum discount is 0%.”  Then, I contacted them again, and now many others did too.

My bookings are all okay now, because I had purchased way before the error. 

So, @chubbypiggy and others, lmk when it is corrected for the 50% please.

I’m not touching my prepurchased ones.

The quote (above) I sent you for the new pricing, just $15.00 a day (ha)…..was just added very recently, once the pricing went into effect.  It clearly states you can purchase ahead or OB.  But, I don’t like the 50% discount given in OBC.  

• Thanks 1