Discovery in Alaska

seagunthera

I booked this cruise in June because I have the week off and want to see the new ship.  That said, for all you seasoned cruisers out there- what do you think of cruising Endicott Arm and visiting Dawes Glacier?  Thoughts on the ability of this huge ship to navigate an Alaska route? I booked a mini suite with the enormous balcony right above the bridge (M107) so while it will be windy, cold, and potentially rainy out there, I hope to see some gorgeous scenery. 

PS- if anyone is headed out on the 6 voyages prior to mine, I'd love to hear your thoughts after you return. 

• Like 1

Nice pick with M107! A VERY coveted mini, largest balcony on the ship. I was in M102 in August, I will book any of the forward facing cabins for Ak. Lots and lots of smooth sailing in AK, perfect for your balcony, and yes, you have access while underway. 10/10 experience.

1 minute ago, EDDY0827 said:

Nice pick with M107! A VERY coveted mini, largest balcony on the ship. I was in M102 in August, I will book any of the forward facing cabins for Ak. Lots and lots of smooth sailing in AK, perfect for your balcony, and yes, you have access while underway. 10/10 experience.

Thank you! I was on the Majestic in February and stayed in M108.  I just love that layout.

If you have not done an Alaska cruise I would recommend that you go to Glacier Bay.  It is a must if this is your first to Alaska.  We are going on our 13th to Alaska inside passage.  Left out Glacier Bay twice and regretted each time.  The cruise you are on will miss seeing the Glacier 70% of the time due to ice flow.  Glacier Bay is considered on of the 7 wonders of the world.  You will see about five different glaciers, many whales as you enter and exit and sea otters are plentiful.  Park ranger gets on board and you cruise about 65 miles through the park.  

18 minutes ago, RJAM3 said:

If you have not done an Alaska cruise I would recommend that you go to Glacier Bay.  It is a must if this is your first to Alaska.  We are going on our 13th to Alaska inside passage.  Left out Glacier Bay twice and regretted each time.  The cruise you are on will miss seeing the Glacier 70% of the time due to ice flow.  Glacier Bay is considered on of the 7 wonders of the world.  You will see about five different glaciers, many whales as you enter and exit and sea otters are plentiful.  Park ranger gets on board and you cruise about 65 miles through the park.  

Glacier Bay is spectacular.  We were on the NCL Encore back in October when cruising barely restarted.  Very late in the season for an Alaska itinerary, but all the cruisers onboard just wanted to sail.  It was snowing and the bay was iced over with a thin sheet.  Had a blast looking at glaciers and wildlife.

The big ships don't appear to be much of a problem.We were on the Ovation of the Seas last September, which went to the Endicott and Dawes glaciers, and got pretty close. The ship is bigger than the Princess ship.

• Like 1

Hi, enjoy your cruise, we sail in May which will be our 10th Alaska Cruise and as others have said you probably wont be disappointed if it's not your 1st cruise but personally I never want to miss Glacier Bay and if possible College Fjord. We have been Northbound, Southbound many times also on B2B and they are different each time even if same itinery, the weather, ice conditions, Glacier calving, whales and wildlife never ever has it been the same twice since we first went in 2003. We have done Alaska  end of April, May and September, we were scheduled on the Saphirre for this May and they changed the ship to the Royal so we cancelled as I would not want to miss the Inside Passage or Skagway and truly once was enough for me on the Royal. IMHO spaces too chopped up and we miss Promenade Deck and Explorers Lounge. Rebooked on the Grand and getting excited haven't cruised since 2020 and have truly missed it after having cruised over 28years and 56 cruises.

The Park Rangers at Glacier Bay are terrific and are available with so much information of a truly magical area. Truly hope that your enjoy your cruise and can take some excursions.

14 minutes ago, lbfluffy said:

When are you going to Alaska. We are booked for June 19th 

HELLO!  Was thinking about the 19th but my fave cabin wasn't available. We set sail the following week. I'm so excited you'll be on the week before (can't wait to hear allll about it). Will you do a review?

5 hours ago, seagunthera said:

HELLO!  Was thinking about the 19th but my fave cabin wasn't available. We set sail the following week. I'm so excited you'll be on the week before (can't wait to hear allll about it). Will you do a review?

We would love to go the week you are going. We would be celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary on the 28th, but our friends invited us to join them. This was the week they chose. Our one friend is a nurse so he had to work around others. It’s ok, we depart on Father’s Day. We haven’t got our cabin assignment yet. I asked my agent to look into the cabins on the sun deck, by the retreat pool. It’s like the Hollywood Conservatory the Majestic has, but not covered. I will probably post my thoughts of the ship, but not a full review. I’ll be busy running around probably!

2 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

We would love to go the week you are going. We would be celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary on the 28th, but our friends invited us to join them. This was the week they chose. Our one friend is a nurse so he had to work around others. It’s ok, we depart on Father’s Day. We haven’t got our cabin assignment yet. I asked my agent to look into the cabins on the sun deck, by the retreat pool. It’s like the Hollywood Conservatory the Majestic has, but not covered. I will probably post my thoughts of the ship, but not a full review. I’ll be busy running around probably!

Zero pressure, of course, the main thing is to enjoy the new ship!  That said, feel free to text me with any insight the two of you have during your sailing:). I'll be onboard with my sister and am curious to know if a Chef's Table is happening and also what the entertainment looks like (nothing can beat our comedian though, IMNO;). 

8 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Zero pressure, of course, the main thing is to enjoy the new ship!  That said, feel free to text me with any insight the two of you have during your sailing:). I'll be onboard with my sister and am curious to know if a Chef's Table is happening and also what the entertainment looks like (nothing can beat our comedian though, IMNO;). 

I know, he was good. I think by June the Chefs Table and winemakers should be back.