Caribbean Princess in Drydock

pmallen

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I agree with you as there were probably multiple reasons for the 4 day Vancouver cruise cancellation, especially if a Canadian port(s) had serious issues with allowing the first ship back to their shores to dock with the high potential for multiple C19 cases onboard. 

I know there has been a variety of Caribbean ports, Cartegena comes to mine, that wouldn't even allow ships to temporarily dock, let alone disembark all of their passengers, for that very reason. 

It is also true that the dry dock became own earlier than scheduled. The ship got here pretty soon after leaving sf

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, vakamalua said:

Any updates to things like carpeting, soft goods in cabins, etc?

Most of that was done in the previous dry dock (2019 IIRC) right before Covid hit.  We were on the Caribbean Princess in early January and everything looked great to us.  Of course just being on a ship after two years looked great!

6 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

The ship had COVID explosion

Oh my. There's a medical/nautical term I'm just not familiar with in this context. By what measure does it officially become an explosion?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

When the line will not give details to the customers.

Do you think that of all the cruises that have gone on since the restart, that all the details of how many cases there were was always reported to the passengers?  Did all of these ships have "explosions"?  But I'll let this go, and you guys can beat the dead horse.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Do you think that of all the cruises that have gone on since the restart, that all the details of how many cases there were was always reported to the passengers?  Did all of these ships have "explosions"?  But I'll let this go, and you guys can beat the dead horse.

I just cancelled 2 Princess cruises in May because I can't get any quantitative info.

1 hour ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

I just cancelled 2 Princess cruises in May because I can't get any quantitative info.

I'm sorry to hear that. We have been on 9 Celebrity cruises since cruising started back up, 8 of which have not had mask mandates and we never caught C19 yet. Personally, I really wouldn't worry too much about the negative experiences folks post on CC or getting quantitative info from Princess. Sure, it's sad what they individually went through, but there are way more passengers that are having a great time on their cruises and don't get sick.

For us, we have treated moving around the ship we're on like a game. If you would like me to post our strategy, I would be happy to. But simply put, we are pretty much anti-social and devise ways to avoid passengers, whether it's in the dining room, in a theater or walking through the ship. It's really not all that hard to do.

We're currently booked on the Caribbean Princess for 18 days the end of this month, 21 days on the Regal Princess in July, 24 days on the Celebrity Summit in August and 38 days on the NCL Jade in Nov/Dec, and plan to continue to have fun on all of our cruises and avoid all those "ship-related" illnesses, to include C19, bronchitis, norovirus and any of the others that seem to make it on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

I would love to hear your strategy. 

In essence we treat moving around the ship like a game. Hey, what can I say, we're on a cruise and having fun is what it's all about, right? 😎

Dining: On our first visit to our dining room, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

Elevators: We're in our late 60s and are still able to use the stairs whenever feasible. But if we have to walk up 4+ flights of stairs, especially after a meal, we'll take the elevator with our masks on. Now, if either unmasked or 3 or more passengers decide to enter the elevator on an in-between floor, we get off there and walk up the rest of the way. 

Main theater: When we first board and are exploring the ship, we head to the main theater and develop a strategy as to where we will sit using knowledge from past cruises if possible. On a Celebrity ship, the theaters have 3-4 levels and have a U-shaped design, so it's pretty easy to develop multiple out-of-the-way seating options. Now, on a Princess ship, their theater seating takes a little more creative thinking. But, of course, that's all part of the game to make adjustments when necessary.

Downtime: We always get a balcony and try to determine which cabin location will produce the most shade during the cruise, especially in the afternoon. Hanging out with a bunch of people near the pool is just not something we would do. 

Excursions: If at all possible we sit in the back of the tour bus while most folks like to sit more towards the front and, of course, we wear our mask at all times while on the bus.

Reducing stress by walking in underutilized spaces: When we first get on the ship, we also check out where the entrances to the promenade walkways are and use them, when necessary, in a crowded situation when we need to get from one end of the ship to another. If not an option, we will use the nearby stairs, walk up a flight or two, and then walk through a cabin hallway to get to the other end of the ship.

Personal Hygiene: We wash our hands whenever feasible without going into any public bathroom. That is a big no no! But we also wash our hands once we get back to the cabin. As far as hand sanitizers go, we use them whenever we go into a theater or dining room as well as when we leave those areas. We also sanitize coming back onto the ship or basically anywhere our hands may have touched something. Heck, my DW makes me sanitize even if I just touch the elevator button. 😂 BTW we use our triple-tiered "washable" Celebrity cloth masks as they have done a good job for us and they're comfortable. And you guessed it, we'll probably be wearing them on the upcoming Princess and NCL cruises unless we're issued ones by the cruise line.

But, most importantly, we treat it like a game as we've enjoyed not getting sick on/or after a cruise for many years now. Of course, we also have no desire to mess up our cruise by getting quarantined, either by getting C19 or being traced, as we usually are on B2B cruises that are at least 2-3+ weeks long.

The bottom line is that it's up to YOU to keep yourself safe and not worry about the variety of personalities that will be on the ship cruising with you and what they will do. If they catch C19, that's their problem, not ours. We did everything we could to avoid other passengers whenever possible on the ship or while on an excursion. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

When they run out of cabins to hold infected persons.

And precisely (let's deal in specifics here) how does a passenger go about determining this metric?

Unless you've isolated a method by which you force a given cruise line to divulge this information, it's just more whining. 

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

In essence we treat moving around the ship like a game. Hey, what can I say, we're on a cruise and having fun is what it's all about, right? 😎

Dining: On our first visit to our dining room, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

Elevators: We're in our late 60s and are still able to use the stairs whenever feasible. But if we have to walk up 4+ flights of stairs, especially after a meal, we'll take the elevator with our masks on. Now, if either unmasked or 3 or more passengers decide to enter the elevator on an in-between floor, we get off there and walk up the rest of the way. 

Main theater: When we first board and are exploring the ship, we head to the main theater and develop a strategy as to where we will sit using knowledge from past cruises if possible. On a Celebrity ship, the theaters have 3-4 levels and have a U-shaped design, so it's pretty easy to develop multiple out-of-the-way seating options. Now, on a Princess ship, their theater seating takes a little more creative thinking. But, of course, that's all part of the game to make adjustments when necessary.

Downtime: We always get a balcony and try to determine which cabin location will produce the most shade during the cruise, especially in the afternoon. Hanging out with a bunch of people near the pool is just not something we would do. 

Excursions: If at all possible we sit in the back of the tour bus while most folks like to sit more towards the front and, of course, we wear our mask at all times while on the bus.

Reducing stress by walking in underutilized spaces: When we first get on the ship, we also check out where the entrances to the promenade walkways are and use them, when necessary, in a crowded situation when we need to get from one end of the ship to another. If not an option, we will use the nearby stairs, walk up a flight or two, and then walk through a cabin hallway to get to the other end of the ship.

Personal Hygiene: We wash our hands whenever feasible without going into any public bathroom. That is a big no no! But we also wash our hands once we get back to the cabin. As far as hand sanitizers go, we use them whenever we go into a theater or dining room as well as when we leave those areas. We also sanitize coming back onto the ship or basically anywhere our hands may have touched something. Heck, my DW makes me sanitize even if I just touch the elevator button. 😂 BTW we use our triple-tiered "washable" Celebrity cloth masks as they have done a good job for us and they're comfortable. And you guessed it, we'll probably be wearing them on the upcoming Princess and NCL cruises unless we're issued ones by the cruise line.

But, most importantly, we treat it like a game as we've enjoyed not getting sick on/or after a cruise for many years now. Of course, we also have no desire to mess up our cruise by getting quarantined, either by getting C19 or being traced, as we usually are on B2B cruises that are at least 2-3+ weeks long.

The bottom line is that it's up to YOU to keep yourself safe and not worry about the variety of personalities that will be on the ship cruising with you and what they will do. If they catch C19, that's their problem, not ours. We did everything we could to avoid other passengers whenever possible on the ship or while on an excursion. 

Superb, amigo. Absolutely superb strategy.  Succinct and well thought out. I'm confident that you and your wife will not be the ones who will be stumbling into the Medical Center with the sniffles. 

To summarize, if I may. It's all about personal responsibility.  Sounds a lot like a popular political philosophy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

And precisely (let's deal in specifics here) how does a passenger go about determining this metric?

Unless you've isolated a method by which you force a given cruise line to divulge this information, it's just more whining. 

Or unless you have inside info

Sorry  thats all you get.  Try being nice next time

1 hour ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Or unless you have inside info

Sorry  thats all you get.  Try being nice next time

Ahhhhh, the old "secret handshake in dimly lit alleys". 

So much for specificity. I wouldn't think of asking you to break your vow of silence to the powers that be. Only a select few are allowed to breathe that rarified air. Fortunate you! 🤣🤣

Edited by Bgwest
Wouldn't be right not to add a couple of emojis.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Ahhhhh, the old "secret handshake in dimly lit alleys". 

So much for specificity. I wouldn't think of asking you to break your vow of silence to the powers that be. Only a select few are allowed to breathe that rarified air. Fortunate you! 🤣🤣

Yes, the old " cabin steward I facebook with" ("my friend"), who heard it from her roommate, who heard it from her friend who cleans the quarantine cabins.  I know how accurate (or not) the crew "telegraph" is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 4/11/2022 at 3:29 PM, Steelers36 said:

Despite the many corrections posted on various threads here, the correct moniker - CB - just doesn't seem to stick.  Maybe Princess should rename since the original CP is no longer in the fleet.  😉

I think that just (again) shows how unimportant knowing the secret code is.

Other than writing to an onboard officer's official email, I have never seen the slightest use for the secret code.