Break a Leg... uh oh.

7 hours ago, BND said:

Not needed with boot and no cast

Tell my orthopedic surgeon that. Besides the boot, he had me wear a compression sock. He told me that if it was a few steps around the house it would be ok but if there was anymore walking than that, he wanted me to use the knee scooter or crutches.

@RCCL Fan, sorry to hear about your daughter’s broken leg, and that it hasn’t healed in time for your cruise. I think that getting her the knee scooter was a great idea. You and your family seem to be able to take adversity in stride, so I’m confident that your daughter will be zipping around the ship in style on her new scooter! 

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Tell my orthopedic surgeon that. Besides the boot, he had me wear a compression sock. He told me that if it was a few steps around the house it would be ok but if there was anymore walking than that, he wanted me to use the knee scooter or crutches.

Um I was referring to not needing a cast cover to shower. Once my incision healed I could take a shower without my boot. At first in a shower chair and then standing once I could. My OS after removing my stitches said okay now you can get the incision wet.

Go Knee scooter.  Make sure it is the right height for her, she should not be leaving over. Wear athletic shoes on the other foot need to protect the other ankle.  Here is the thing they look like so much fun and they are for about 15 min then the fun wears off.   Surface changes on the floor cause bumps, that jar the hurt foot.  You have no idea how many floor surface charges a cruise ship has until you have a broken foot and knee scooter. 

Defiantly wear a cover at the beach. I had a beach boot and a everyday boot.....I bet I could still find sand in my beach boot today 10 years later. Velcro loves sand, loves it.  Skin that has been covered and it soft and delicate does not like sand. 

18 hours ago, brillohead said:

I would have the scooter sent to your home so you can get it assembled and adjusted and she can get used to it at home.  

You can fly with it -- gate check it at the plane and it will be unloaded and brought to the jetway after the flight.  No extra charge for it as it's considered a medical device.

And to try it out.  They do take some practice.

1 hour ago, BND said:

Um I was referring to not needing a cast cover to shower. Once my incision healed I could take a shower without my boot. At first in a shower chair and then standing once I could. My OS after removing my stitches said okay now you can get the incision wet.

My bad, I was referring to using the knee walker. This response from you is right on to what I was told.