Moore Hotel?? Seattle. WA

thymcruisers

We are not familiar with Seattle area- so looking for any/all info you all may have. Flying into Seattle Sep 12 for cruise on Carnival Spirit on Sep 13. We are looking for any advice regarding how to get from airport to hotel...and then to cruise port on the 13th. We ideally would like hotel in an area that is very "budget friendly" but close enough to Pikes Place for a Monday afternoon/evening visit before our cruise on the 13th! We have looked at Moore Hotel as an option.....thoughts? Thanks!!

The Moore is a very old and old-fashioned hotel with no air conditioning, set atop a popular music venue (Moore Theater) on a corner that sees a lot of street life.   Wouldn't be my first choice, or actually my tenth, but YMMV.  

Note there are numerous threads about Seattle hotels and how to get from the airport to downtown and to the Pier 91 cruise terminal (there are two.)  A little research will pay dividends.  

And there's no "s" in Pike Place market.  Pike Place is a street.

• Like 1

Transport is discussed here almost daily. Shuttles, Uber/Lyft, taxi, perhaps the light rail to town, Uber/Lyft to the port. There is a light rail station about 3 blocks away if you can manage your luggage.

As to the hotel, I would be looking for reviews on TripAdvisor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thymcruisers said:

...but close enough to Pikes Place for a Monday afternoon/evening...

Another thing about the market is that it closes up by around 5pm. If you go on the 12th you’ll need to get there before then. A better option might be to go in the morning before boarding your cruise. The flower stalls will be set up by 7-8am and the vendors along the way by 10am.

• Like 1

I stayed at the Moore Hotel about 7 or so years ago, prior to going on a cruise to Alaska.It had quite a colorful blend of travelers-young, old, backpackers,  budget minded folks, etc. I liked it-nothing fancy. Great location, but neighborhood alittle sketchy after dark. After last  summer's heat wave, I wouldn't stay there-NO a.c.

• Like 1

You will have plenty of time to explore the Market before your cruise on Tuesday morning.  Maybe consider having an early breakfast there at Lowell's.  Carnival is also very strict on embarkation times, so it's best that you don't show up earlier than your assigned time.  If memory serves me well, I think Carnival was the only cruise line that didn't allow flowers to be brought on to their ship.  The bouquets are lovely at the Market and reasonably priced, however, they may not make it on to the ship with you. 

:  (

Please remember to bring your passports, OR gov't issued birth certificate & your gov't issued photo ID as proof of citizenship.  And of course the Covid test/vaccine proof as needed.. 

I have stayed at the Moore hotel several times over the past years and have never had a problem with the hotel - mind you none were during the warmer summer months and would stay there again.

The bigger concern that has been noted by people on various threads is the deteriorating street scene near the hotel. There should be enough foot traffic during the day but after dark I would use a taxi etc. to any place you need to go.

Hope this helps answer the question.

Dennis

On 4/13/2022 at 10:19 PM, Urban trekker said:

I have stayed at the Moore hotel several times over the past years and have never had a problem with the hotel - mind you none were during the warmer summer months and would stay there again.

The bigger concern that has been noted by people on various threads is the deteriorating street scene near the hotel. There should be enough foot traffic during the day but after dark I would use a taxi etc. to any place you need to go.

Hope this helps answer the question.

Dennis

Dennis I couldn't agree more. There is no way that I'd stay anywhere in downtown Seattle. It's just to dangerous. Most of the news in or about Seattle is sanitized by the news media, meaning what's really happening isn't being reported. 

As Aussies travelling to Seattle in SEPT 2019, we stayed at the Moore Hotel due to recommendations on this cruise critic board. We just loved it, and we're wandering around at 1 a.m, with no problems at all. Quirky, central, well priced. However, perhaps not suitable for a revisit in 2023? Such a shame.