Semi Live Review of Drinks and Cocktails on Millennium 4/14

Ripheus

Following along, if you happen to see our friend Beatriz, usually at the Sunset bar, please say hi from Perry and Joanne. She is wonderful and will take great care of you both, take the time to get to know her!

Cellar Masters has these Scotches. Seems like mostly Macallan. They do have Royal Salute 21yo too. Apparently, it's $30 additional to premium package. I'll probably end up getting it on one of the nights. 

PXL_20220414_180221380.jpg

PXL_20220414_180217314.jpg

PXL_20220414_180214630.jpg

• Like 1

Checked out two more bars and had a tour at the spa:)

Macallan Reviver from Cafe Al bacio. This drink would be best served in a glass. Unfortunately, I had it in a paper to go cup. It was still quite tasty, but the citrus doesn’t do good things to the paper cup. 

Speyside Latte from Cafe al Bacio. Very tasty drink, a nuttier, creamer, less sweet version of a typical Espresso martini. Not as peaty as I have expected. Will order again. The only thing can improve the drink is to have it served up instead of on the rocks.

Bella cera from sunset bar. Very strong taste of leblon cachaca. Not too much gin flavor, which is  fine by me. Overall, a overarching vanilla flavor that is subtle enough to enjoy and not overpowering. These are dangerously strong. 

sunset pina colada from sunset bar. This is the Celebrity version of jungle bird. Nothing pina colada about it. Very tasty drink because I love a good jungle bird. What can improve the drink? Shake for a longer time so it’s cold, add a slice of fresh pineapple as garnish, and use the nice riedel glasses. Oh and the straws are great! We bought our own plastic straws but no need to pull them out.

6787E9CC-45B5-4F57-A43D-23739A029708.jpeg

F1799C26-2E60-43FF-8710-9EFBBA3AEA25.jpeg

0053B0AA-B31D-4BFE-8CB6-B750EA033B23.jpeg

• Like 1

I mostly drink Old Fashions.   I will tell the BT how I want it.   I found many BTs on X will top it off with soda 

I tell them no soda or water,  not much bar syrup as I want to taste the liquor.   It is always easier to add a little more if needed.   I also ask want bourbon or ryes are available and tell them the one I want.  

On the Constellation recently I found that Cellar Master had the best variety and choices of bourbon., next was the Rendezvous bar. 

The Retreat Lounge would also try to accommodate whatever bourbon I asked for that was available on board.  They had Woodford,  Woodford Double Oak and also Jack Daniels Sinatra.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moochi said:

Sorry for the first negative report. Got a lobster roll at Luminae for lunch. There was exactly one piece of lobster in it, in the size of picky nail. OP got NY strip and it was very good. Chardonnay and Pinot Noir were decent. 

Then we headed to Cellar Masters for cocktails. OP got an olds fashioned. it was made with BT bourbon, muddled bright red cherry and orange slice, bright red cherry syrup, soda water, and simple syrup. Drink was spilled a little bit and the glass was not wiped clean. I was not interested in tasting it at all.  I wanted a Manhattan but they only had the bright red cherry and Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth. So no thank you.

0D99FB39-D277-4359-818F-6A919A9D157B.thumb.jpeg.110aa8565bfc042f8f554670079c598d.jpeg

4E9837C2-A8DC-460A-9BB0-A316A452B0BE.thumb.jpeg.4c6e59dd02603f44fde933429413ace5.jpeg

If you like a good Chardonnay, the Retreat and Luminae have Mer Soliel on the Premium Beverage Package and the Opulence Chardonnay (PBP + $1).  They are both very good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, miched said:

I mostly drink Old Fashions.   I will tell the BT how I want it.   I found many BTs on X will top it off with soda 

I tell them no soda or water,  not much bar syrup as I want to taste the liquor.   It is always easier to add a little more if needed.   I also ask want bourbon or ryes are available and tell them the one I want.  

On the Constellation recently I found that Cellar Master had the best variety and choices of bourbon., next was the Rendezvous bar. 

The Retreat Lounge would also try to accommodate whatever bourbon I asked for that was available on board.  They had Woodford,  Woodford Double Oak and also Jack Daniels Sinatra.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I love old fashioned with old forester 1910 and WF double oak.

I love this thread and have a few questions.   

What port are you sailing from?   I think it is from Ft Lauderdale.   The reason I ask is because I would like to visit the bars you mentioned when we sail from there. 

What category are you in?   This helps to give some info to get the most form your cruise for your drinking experience.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 and drink up 🥤🍷🧋🥂🍻🍺🍹🍸

1 hour ago, Moochi said:

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I love old fashioned with old forester 1910 and WF double oak.

Old Forester 1910 isn’t available.   I like most Old Forester Bourbons and have been to their distillery many times in Louisville.    

On our last cruise they had Wild Turkey 101.  Jack Daniels Sinatra,  Woodford and Double Oak,  BT,  Beam, rot gut Ten High,  and MM.  There were also some Ryes.  I had those when I asked for a Sazerac.   Not many BT know how to make it and they also have to have the absinthe.  

Another tip is not all BTs make the same drink the same.   I would visit the various bars and it didnt take long to find what BTs were the best and made the drinks the way I liked them.  The great BTs were those that put the passion and love into making the drink and attention to detail.   

Ex a Espresso Martini usually has 3 coffee beans floating on top.  Those going thru the motions will toss them in.   The great BTs will place them for the presentation and pride in their profession .

The best cosmos are the premium cosmos at the martini bar because they use premium liquors the other bars don’t make them the same.  The Martini Bar uses Cointreauor Grand Marnier and Grey Goose.  The other bars use Triple Sec and well vodka.  

If you have the premium pack the bars other than the Martini Bar will use well for all of their drinks unless you request what you want

For a added touch if you like orange have them add 1/2 part (shot) of Grand Mariner to the Old Fashion and mimosa.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 and drink up 🍷🥂🍻🍺🧋

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

Just a suggestion.  Try a Bloody Caesar.  I know they make them at cellar masters, pool bar and sunset bar.  Just choose your preferred vodka and level of spicyness.   It’s the brunch beverage of Canada but enjoyable anytime.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_(cocktail)

Edited by RickT

More helpful tips 

I would also ask for a Kentucky Mule.  It uses a bourbon instead of vodka.  I would ask for Fever Tree Ginger Beer.   Some times they may have it.  Most times they had Gosling or Bundaburg but Fever Tree is the best.   

The other is Antica Vermouth for Manhattans.  Some bars have it and it is a premium vermouth and rated the best for Manhattans.   Another little trick is to add a splash of cola to the Manhattan. It smooths it out a little for a change of pace.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 and drink up🧋🍺🍹🍸🍷🥂🍻 

27 minutes ago, miched said:

The other is Antica Vermouth for Manhattans.  Some bars have it and it is a premium vermouth and rated the best for Manhattans.  

Have never seen Antica Vermouth on Celebrity before. Will be on the lookout! Thanks for mentioning it.

We are on this cruise and honestly the bar service has been not good.  Ignored because there were others yelling at the bar person to serve them, we walked away from 3 different bars until we found one that would actually pay attention to us.  Fortunately we are in a Sky Suite and so have access to the Retreat Lounge, service there has been excellent.  Don't understand why the other bars are so bad.  Food and service in the restaurants are great.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

Have never seen Antica Vermouth on Celebrity before. Will be on the lookout! Thanks for mentioning it.

That’s really sad. I asked two bars and they only have the martini & Rossi crap and bright red cherry. I just want a properly made manhattan, stirred not shaken, rittenhouse rye, antica or cocchi or munt e mes, and a luxardo cherry, served up in a coupe. Guess X just can’t do a simple drink like that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moochi said:

I just want a properly made manhattan, stirred not shaken, rittenhouse rye, antica or cocchi or munt e mes, and a luxardo cherry, served up in a coupe. Guess X just can’t do a simple drink like that.

That's how I like my manhattans too. Rittenhouse or Bulleit rye.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BNguy said:

We are on this cruise and honestly the bar service has been not good.  Ignored because there were others yelling at the bar person to serve them, we walked away from 3 different bars until we found one that would actually pay attention to us.  Fortunately we are in a Sky Suite and so have access to the Retreat Lounge, service there has been excellent.  Don't understand why the other bars are so bad.  Food and service in the restaurants are great.

Cellar masters is honestly not great. We’ve been there twice today and didn’t like it. Retreat lounge had great service but the cocktails were meh. Unfortunately I haven’t had any cocktail today that was comparable to a good bar on the land. Will continue to search tomorrow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

l have learned to look around and ask.  The premium stuff is usually at the World Class Bar, Martini, and the lounges.   You aren’t going to find it at the bars on the top decks.   Most of those bars serve the classic  style drinks.   I tend to befriend the BT that I find to be the most professional.  Whenever  I talk to the Bar Manager I will acknowledge that BT and every time the manager will say that he is either the best or one of the better on the ship.   Those BTs have a wealth of knowledge and are always willing to learn more.  I will always share my experiences about what I have learned doing the Bourbon trail many times.    We drive to Fl on on the way back we always spend a few days doing that.  

One BT told me that the best deal on board was the Classic package.   He said that 90% of the drinks that passengers order are in the Classic Pack.   Unless you ask for a premium liquor the drink  will be made with well spirits.   Almost every drink at the pool is classic   All of the drinks in the theater are classic and etc    The only place you get a premium Martini is at the Martini bar unless you ask for a premium liquor.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 and drink up 🍹🍸🧋🍺🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

That's how I like my manhattans too. Rittenhouse or Bulleit rye.

I also forgot to mention that they did have have Bulliet and Rittenhouse.   That was recently in the Apex and I would think the other ships would have it. 

Did you ever notice that the Label on Bulleit is crooket?  Tom Bulliet seen that a label was applied crooket on a Monday morning (everyone knows about Monday mornings).   At first he wasn’t happy as it was sloppy work but then the more he looked at it he thought it was different and looked nice.   It then became the standard 

Happy cruising🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 and drink up 🍷🍺🥂🍻🍹🍸🧋🥤

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

One word of advice.   Don’t tap your card on the bar.   The BTs don’t like it.   They know you are there and will get to you when it is you turn.  If you tap the card they will basically try to ignore you.  It is disrespectful.  

I found that patients pays off.   Treat them as you would want to be treated.   They will give you better service if you respect them.  I don’t think anyone will die if they had to wait a few minutes for a drink.   Is it any slower that a land based bar?    I will survive the extra few minutes without one.  

On the other hand I cannot tolerate those that try to butt in ahead of everyone else.  If they try to get served before someone else I will speak up and say who is next.  If the BT  mistakingly tries to serve me before someone else that I know was before me I will let them know.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 and drink up 🧋🍸🍻🍻🍹🍺🍷

• Thanks 1

It’s not even 11pm yet and we are bored. We walked around with bathing suit and found out that all 4 hot tubs were closed very early. Oh well our fault not checking the schedule. No idea what we are going to do for the rest of the night so let me post some more drinks.

Before dinner we ordered an old fashioned and a Manhattan at the retreat lounge. The Manhattan was shaken, foamy, served in a martini glass, with a bright red cherry. I took a sip and couldn’t drink the rest.

For dinner we learnt our lesson and went with the stuff from a bottle. I got cherry pie Pinot noir and OP got mouton cadet Bordeaux. Both are tasty. Wine is really much safer choice.

After watching the show we wanted some port. Went to cellar masters and asked for 10 year and 20 year tawny port. Only 10 year was available. It was served in a champagne flute but tasty as usual.

I think we are done with alcohol and will drink liquid IV for the rest of the night. 

1 minute ago, miched said:

One word of advice.   Don’t tap your card on the bar.   The BTs don’t like it.   They know you are there and will get to you when it is you turn.  If you tap the card they will basically try to ignore you.  It is disrespectful.  

I found that patients pays off.   Treat them as you would want to be treated.   They will give you better service if you respect them.  I don’t think anyone will die if they had to wait a few minutes for a drink.   Is it any slower that a land based bar?    I will survive the extra few minutes without one.  

On the other hand I cannot tolerate those that try to butt in ahead of everyone else.  If they try to get served before someone else I will speak up and say who is next.  If the BT  mistakingly tries to serve me before someone else that I know was before me I will let them know.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 and drink up 🧋🍸🍻🍻🍹🍺🍷

Thank you very much for all your great tips! This is our first time on X and we are judging the bars same way we do on the land. We order an old fashioned to begin with. If we like it, we keep ordering cocktails otherwise it would be beer or wine only.