Interior Upper and Lower vs. Regular Interior

JP350

I'm taking my first carnival cruise in June and I have the option of booking an interior upper/lower or upgrading to a regular interior for an additional $80. I know that the cheaper one only has one bed, and a sofa bed, but is their anything else I should know about their respective cabins. Also one last thing is staying on deck 1 bad as long as you don't stay in the bow or above a thruster. New to carnival, thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Welcome! I'm not sure about square footage wise, but if you are traveling solo, an upper/lower would be fine.Otherwise, you may consider booking a regular cabin . When checking out these cabins, either may have portholes, which would give you light. Happy cruising!

• Like 1

Depending on your cabin location, not all 1A cabins will have the single bed and sofa bed.  But, if this is the case for the cruise you are looking at I'll assume it's a Porthole Room and would go with that over a complete interior as in addition to having natural light you would have a bigger sized room over straight interior cabin. 

This makes me question something I saw on a Video Blogger's post, are all upper/lower mattresses terrible, no matter what category you are in?  She was showing she could pinch the mattress like if you were squeezing a lemon with one hand!  So if anyone of any kind of weight is sleeping in the upper/lower it would be equal to sleeping on the floor?  

There seems to be at least three types of Inside cabins now….there is the typical Inside….four walls, no windows, double type bed……an Upper/Lower where there is one single bed and either a bed that comes down from the wall or a single sofa bed and port holes…….and. PT category with two portholes and a double type bed that can be split up.  

When I was on the Vista and Magic inaugural cruises, the cabins with the single bed and port holes was called a 1A….wonderfully roomy cabins for a solo. Just loved them.   They are located on Decks 1 and 2 right at the front of the ship. One had to read the descriptions carefully now to make sure you get an Inside with port holes..if that what you want.  I found the mattresses to be just as fine as any other cabin bed.  Google the room number and ship name and that will lead you to various web sites with more detailed information. 

2 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

Welcome! I'm not sure about square footage wise, but if you are traveling solo, an upper/lower would be fine.Otherwise, you may consider booking a regular cabin . When checking out these cabins, either may have portholes, which would give you light. Happy cruising!

Thank You it's me and my 14 year old son so I might go for the interior. 

15 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

There seems to be at least three types of Inside cabins now….there is the typical Inside….four walls, no windows, double type bed……an Upper/Lower where there is one single bed and either a bed that comes down from the wall or a single sofa bed and port holes…….and. PT category with two portholes and a double type bed that can be split up.  

When I was on the Vista and Magic inaugural cruises, the cabins with the single bed and port holes was called a 1A….wonderfully roomy cabins for a solo. Just loved them.   They are located on Decks 1 and 2 right at the front of the ship. One had to read the descriptions carefully now to make sure you get an Inside with port holes..if that what you want.  I found the mattresses to be just as fine as any other cabin bed.  Google the room number and ship name and that will lead you to various web sites with more detailed information. 

I'm on vista actually, and is there a special location or deck for the porthole view staterooms. in the porthole room you stayed in was there more than one bed?

1 minute ago, JP350 said:

I'm on vista actually, and is there a special location or deck for the porthole view staterooms. in the porthole room you stayed in was there more than one bed?

The port hole cabins are at the very front. Look at the outside of the ship and you’ll see the small round port holes at the very front.  The 1As that I stayed in had one single bed on the floor, and a bed that came down from the wall.  One needed to climb a ladder to get up on that wall bed.  I’m not sure if the wall beds still exist..or if they’ve been replaced by single sofa beds. 
Now, the PT category is a Port Hole cabin but with two twin beds on the floor.  
The cabins with port holes are only on Decks 1 and 2 (for paying customers).  

2 hours ago, JP350 said:

When you are booking a 1A it will say what it is. Lately they have been marked. If it says porthole and 1A then it will be close to ov size. The 2nd bed will say sofa bed and lastly look at the picture. It will show what it is.

If it is marked upper and lower but description says sofa bed and twin, that's what it is. The cushions come off the back of the sofa and voila it's a bed. It is harder than a mattress. My friend who likes a harder bed was ok with it. I want soft and I wouldnt be ok with it. 

The good thing is it can be larger than a inside. 

Some 1A are upper and lower. A upper and lower mid deck 9 ... never again. On vista. Small.

I like the port holes on deck 2 .. not the upper and lower small cabins.

I’m sure the Upper/lower on deck 9 doesn’t have port holes!

For my bookings….I’m booked on Vista in a 1A - Interior Upper/Lower -Cabin 2212…..it has port holes and just one bed. The picture shows one bed, no windows.

I’m also doing a B2B on Paradise in Cabin E8 which is described as a PT - Interior Stateroom (porthole windows).  The picture shows a 2 bed together arrangement.

I wouldn’t go by the pictures being shown, but try to find a description of the actual cabin in one of the deck plan sites….

if you are already on Vista…try to see if you can take a glance at some of the port hole cabins on decks 1 or 2….with permission of course.  

Once you try one, you’ll see how roomy they are and a good find.

****UPDATE****

I was a little concerned about Cabin 2212 and port holes.  I read reviews that it did have them, but the Carnival agent said that it didn’t.  The symbol on the cabin in the deck plan is a triangle and not a full diamond (as I call it).  So I switched my cabin to 1210….which has that full diamond symbol (which in the description box says it means the cabin has port holes) is called a PT cabin and was verified by the agent as having port holes.  

I don’t want to mislead anyone…but why that review…which was written in Nov 2021 says that Cabin 2212 has port holes is a mystery.  I like Carnival Vista and sailed on her inaugural sailing from the Mediterranean.  

I hope this helps and doesn’t confuse too much! 😊

44 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

****UPDATE****

I was a little concerned about Cabin 2212 and port holes.  I read reviews that it did have them, but the Carnival agent said that it didn’t.  The symbol on the cabin in the deck plan is a triangle and not a full diamond (as I call it).  So I switched my cabin to 1210….which has that full diamond symbol (which in the description box says it means the cabin has port holes) is called a PT cabin and was verified by the agent as having port holes.  

I don’t want to mislead anyone…but why that review…which was written in Nov 2021 says that Cabin 2212 has port holes is a mystery.  I like Carnival Vista and sailed on her inaugural sailing from the Mediterranean.  

I hope this helps and doesn’t confuse too much! 😊

I agree Joyce.

The 1As with portholes have the diamond symbol. The triangle symbol has no portholes.

I love these 1As with portholes. Some times can be noisy with the waves banging on the brow of the ship.

These are always on deck 1 or 2.

• Like 1

on the goccl website that most travel agents use says this about 2216:

2212       1A           185 square feet
Beds: one twin bed-single sofa bed (beds do not convert to king)
View: two portholes
Bathroom: shower-toilet-sink   
Features: flat-screen TV, telephone, 110 AC current, individual climate control, hair dryer, safe, non-stocked mini bar unit, 3-closets, desk and ottoman seat, sofa and coffee table

its odd how carnival website says there is 2 port holes

also found this youtube video of 2216 which is next to 2212:

Edited by shof515

36 minutes ago, shof515 said:

on the goccl website that most travel agents use says this about 2216:

2212       1A           185 square feet
Beds: one twin bed-single sofa bed (beds do not convert to king)
View: two portholes
Bathroom: shower-toilet-sink   
Features: flat-screen TV, telephone, 110 AC current, individual climate control, hair dryer, safe, non-stocked mini bar unit, 3-closets, desk and ottoman seat, sofa and coffee table

its odd how carnival website says there is 2 port holes

also found this youtube video of 2216 which is next to 2212:

Having been in 2216 more than once on different ships I can tell you for sure its 10 to 20 sf at the most smaller than the PT next to it. The outside hull starts to curve. Maybe since it's a odd ball size they say 185 because it cant be smaller than that ...but it is bigger than that. 

I'm pretty sure i had that or opposite size on both breeze and vista recently. I think dream class might be larger than vista class but still bigger than a inside. I've been in almost all the 1a portholdes I believe. 

I'd have to look but think I'm in 2212 on dream for the jan 13 ...14 day cruise. At least lots of space and I can see out. It was the best one left ... they are all booked up now for 2024, 14 day. Only were 2 left when I booked a month ago. They go fast. Some of us know how big they really are and good for solo.

Every cruiser has a different perspective regarding cabin choice. I have always preferred interior cabins for the economy and money savings. My perspective is that we are all leaving the Port at the same time, I can see daylight when daylight is visible and the additional dollars saved will transfer to the next Cruise budget.

Whatever you choose just try and enjoy the Journey!  

On 4/16/2022 at 10:20 PM, ladysail2 said:

Don't forget the "interior" rooms on Spirit class on Deck 4.  They have the large picture widow or sliding door.

4 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

Hmmm, when I looked at sites with cabin descriptions, they indicate that 2212 does have a porthole.

https://www.icruise.com/cabins/carnival-cruises-carnival-vista-cabin-2212.html

I can’t seem to get a full agreement. The Carnival agent said it didn’t…but they have been known to be wrong.  I will check it out when I go on my cruise.  The cabin I’m in definitely has portholes, and I’ve stayed on both decks at different times so there’s not much of a difference.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bstel said:

Don't forget the "interior" rooms on Spirit class on Deck 4.  They have the large picture widow or sliding door.

There are ‘interior’ cabins on Vista on decks 6 and 7, I believe. They are at the very front and face over the bow. I considered one of those until I saw from videos that there is no where to sit except on the bed or little stool.  They are roomy cabins with a nice front-facing view….but no couch or decent chair. I saw one video where one of the cabins had an upholstered chair, but the others had nothing.  We all have our creature comforts.