Carnival Splendour Alaska Cruise ARRIVECAN?

tx121

We will be cruising on the Carnival Splendour to Alaska on May 2nd. I just saw this on the Royal Caribbean info page for arrivals in to Canada but I cannot seem to find any info for Carnivals protocols to Canada.

"All travelers to Canada, or their legal guardians, must download the ArriveCAN app or complete the mandatory travel information via the ArriveCAN website prior to your entry into Canada.

This applies whether guests are departing on their cruise from Canada, ending the cruise in Canada, or visiting the country as a port of call.

Royal Caribbean says they are working with the Canadian government to make this process easier for guests arriving by cruise ship, and will ensure guests have guidance to complete this process smoothly onboard."

Do we need to also fill this out even if we don't plan on getting off the ship in Victoria? Thanks for any info!

There are a couple of threads on this on the Alaska board and there seems to be confusion and disagreement. I am on the Splendor May 2 and believe we will need it, even though my PVP says it will not be used. I check in tomorrow and will see if it is mentioned.

I downloaded the app and have completed and saved all of the information up to the point I get to the Submit button. Once we get to within 3 days of boarding, I will submit the information. I would rather have it and not need it, than be scrambling at the pier trying to download the app and enter the data.

Also, I am taking an excursion from Skagway into the Yukon and the company told me I was required to have it for that excursion since it will be a land border crossing. So it is likely I will have to complete it twice - to board the ship, then to take the excursion in Skagway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It seems no one can get a straight answer from Carnival on this. I'm not sure Carnival themselves even really knows at this point. I asked on John Heald's page and his assistant just told me "if it will be required, their colleagues will let us know."

So for now, I'd just assume yes to be safe.

We are on the Splendor May 2 also and plan to do it just to be safe. I'm hoping with sailing to Alaska starting in the next few days, there'll be some clarification.  Carnival also has updated their Have Fun. Be Safe. protocols to having to take the antigen test no more than 2 days prior.

Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Canada must take their antigen pre-cruise test no earlier than two days prior to sailing.

Of course Canada can require whatever they see fit to address Covid and ensure a level of safety they wish.  But why put all this in place a month before the cruise season begins?  My sense is this is going to be a huge cluster.  I hope I'm wrong, but with Carnival saying it doesn't apply to cruise ships, other lines saying yes you must download the App - this could be a mess.  And it's the passenger who suffers if their documentation turns out to be inadequate to board.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

Of course Canada can require whatever they see fit to address Covid and ensure a level of safety they wish.  But why put all this in place a month before the cruise season begins?  My sense is this is going to be a huge cluster.  I hope I'm wrong, but with Carnival saying it doesn't apply to cruise ships, other lines saying yes you must download the App - this could be a mess.  And it's the passenger who suffers if their documentation turns out to be inadequate to board.  

ArriveCAN has been in place for quite some time- not sure when it was put in place but some time ago, And I agree that it could be a mess- I can imagine the ship reaching a Canadian port and not being allowed to dock without assurance that everyone on board has an approved ArriveCAN.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RazorPokesHoney said:

We are on the Splendor May 2 also and plan to do it just to be safe. I'm hoping with sailing to Alaska starting in the next few days, there'll be some clarification.  Carnival also has updated their Have Fun. Be Safe. protocols to having to take the antigen test no more than 2 days prior.

Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Canada must take their antigen pre-cruise test no earlier than two days prior to sailing.

Wish they would make up their minds! 😄

• Like 1

From JH this morning on the book of faces:

"Now let’s talk about incomparable Alaska. Again this week we will have a comprehensive guideline about Alaskan cruises to share with you and that also includes cruises that call at a Canadian port. So again thank you so much for your patience as you wait for this news. It looks like we may not be able to take guests on the train ride into Canada from Skagway but I will confirm this as soon as possible."

14 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

"Now let’s talk about incomparable Alaska. Again this week we will have a comprehensive guideline about Alaskan cruises to share with you and that also includes cruises that call at a Canadian port. So again thank you so much for your patience as you wait for this news. It looks like we may not be able to take guests on the train ride into Canada from Skagway but I will confirm this as soon as possible."

He’s a bit slow on the uptake here- most of us knew about this what- 2 weeks ago? 

27 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Glad to see they are finally realizing what most of us have been aware of for the last 2 weeks or so. The White Pass & Yukon Route Railway announced over a week ago that they were canceling all cross-border trips into Canada.

My Carnival PVP assured me again this morning that I could take my Covid test 3 days prior to my cruise since I have had a booster shot (even though the Carnival website now says 2 days for cruises going to Canada & CDC now recommends a 2nd booster if over 60) and that ArriveCAN would not be required.  I am planning on using ArriveCAN, since it appears to be required, as of today.

It’s very frustrating to be 2 weeks away from hopefully boarding my cruise and seem to know more about the requirements than the cruise line.  My biggest concern is getting to the pier and it being mass confusion as to what is required and possibly being denied boarding for some last minute change they “just became aware of”.

Edited by JT1962

We are cruising NCL in 3 weeks and someone said they got an email from NCL that is cruising sooner that said they are requiring the ArriveCAN app when you board. We haven’t got that email….. and ya, Heald is slow as is NCL as they are STILL offering that excursions into Canada,  which isn’t going. LOL. I called and cancelled and rebooked the train to the summit, directly, as it was less money. btw, I have NOT been impressed with NCL, so far, but finally the last guy I talked to seemed to have a brain. First one. 

2 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I saw this. On another post he indicated they were still in talks with the Canadian government and trying to work through the protocols; and possibly not even stopping in Canada. I don't believe he knows anything for certain since so many changes are going on. I'll be curious to see the email we should be getting this week on the requirements since we sail in 2 weeks. It'd be nice to know how to plan.

• Like 1