Viking's daily PCR testing needs to stop-- and my conversation with Viking about it

kpgclark

On 4/20/2022 at 11:00 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

The problem with the logic of “it’s not very serious”, is that the more this very highly contagious variant transmits, the greater the chance of mutation and no one knows if the next variant will be more or less lethal.  Also, people are still dying of Covid and “mild” in medical jargon related to Covid can mean any degree of illness short of being hospitalized.  As I noted earlier - everyone aboard my recent Tauck cruise was vaccinated and boosted - some double boosted and there were still people so sick they were miserable.  I’d much rather have “overkill” than the loose Covid mitigation efforts of Tauck.  

Tried to find your Tauck cruise comment but couldn't.  I'm currently isolated on my Seine cruise, have been since day 3 when I thought I had a cold and volunteered to test (btw, very wet cough, no fever and lots of sneezing).  There are no medical personnel onboard, no PCR testing capability and no access to otc medications, although the cruise director did get some cough med for from local pharmacy.  I've wondered what Tauck would have done had I refused to be tested and just myself to pharmacy for cold meds?  Now I'm scared to death to test today so maybe I'll get sprung and then will need to test again in 2 days so I can go home, lots of stress.

5 minutes ago, KSPlum74 said:

Tried to find your Tauck cruise comment but couldn't.  I'm currently isolated on my Seine cruise, have been since day 3 when I thought I had a cold and volunteered to test (btw, very wet cough, no fever and lots of sneezing).  There are no medical personnel onboard, no PCR testing capability and no access to otc medications, although the cruise director did get some cough med for from local pharmacy.  I've wondered what Tauck would have done had I refused to be tested and just myself to pharmacy for cold meds?  Now I'm scared to death to test today so maybe I'll get sprung and then will need to test again in 2 days so I can go home, lots of stress.

I am so sorry. I hope you feel better soon and am able to return home.

1 hour ago, KSPlum74 said:

Not sure which comments you’re looking for - there are some further up in this thread and I started a thread about my cruise here  

My husband is still testing positive 13 days since start of symptoms.  But he was reading CDC guidance last night and they recommend 5 days isolation after start of symptoms plus 5 more days of masking in public so according to them he’s probably not contagious now.  Of course CDC guidance doesn’t help you in a foreign country.

I’m sorry you’re going through this but your experience highlights the need for more pro-active testing to help prevent the spread and to help start the clock ticking for recovery.  It sounds like the testing procedure varies by ship and Tauck doesn’t seem to have a good handle on it.  BTW, your symptoms sound the same as what was running rampant on my cruise which started 4/1.

Good luck to you and if you have time please circle back and let us know how things worked out for you.  It could be instructive for others.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Not sure which comments you’re looking for - there are some further up in this thread and I started a thread about my cruise here  

My husband is still testing positive 13 days since start of symptoms.  But he was reading CDC guidance last night and they recommend 5 days isolation after start of symptoms plus 5 more days of masking in public so according to them he’s probably not contagious now.  Of course CDC guidance doesn’t help you in a foreign country.

I’m sorry you’re going through this but your experience highlights the need for more pro-active testing to help prevent the spread and to help start the clock ticking for recovery.  It sounds like the testing procedure varies by ship and Tauck doesn’t seem to have a good handle on it.  BTW, your symptoms sound the same as what was running rampant on my cruise which started 4/1.

Good luck to you and if you have time please circle back and let us know how things worked out for you.  It could be instructive for others.

I forgot to ask if your husband is still positive I'm assuming you are not from US and were able to fly home?

He is still testing positive but according to the CDC there is only a remote chance that he’s still contagious.  Yes we are from US.  Oddly enough, the Tauck test taken one day before return was negative but the test he took within minutes of getting home was positive as was the self test he took onboard, prior to the Tauck test.  We literally flew under the radar to get home.

In addition to all this daily spit-testing nonsense, DW and I just learned that Viking has now reinstated its onboard masks-all-the-time mandate. Had scheduled Zurich-to-Paris cruise, which we will now cancel. We've had several river cruises with Viking, which we enjoyed immensely, but we're done with them until management comes to its senses.

KK

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

He is still testing positive but according to the CDC there is only a remote chance that he’s still contagious.  Yes we are from US.  Oddly enough, the Tauck test taken one day before return was negative but the test he took within minutes of getting home was positive as was the self test he took onboard, prior to the Tauck test.  We literally flew under the radar to get home.

Nice flying!!  I am hoping I am as lucky. I'm guessing you never let Tauck test you on board?  Seems to have been a mistake on my part.  Getting my head around my may having to stay in France. Advantage is, per French law, I shouldn't have to continue quarantine as it will have been 7 days by tomorrow and could do some siteseeing.  Bad side is who knows how long it will take to get home.

Just completed AMA Tulip Time cruise. No test required to board, and tests at end only for those needing it for flight home. And — AMA continues its 100% record of being COVID free. Viking’s daily testing is proven by this to be overkill. 

• Like 2

When I do not like a lines policy (on anything), I don’t use them. I’ll willingly accept that others like thapose policies and am willing to give those people that choice. Why feel compelled to make everything out their to my liking?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just completed AMA Tulip Time cruise. No test required to board, and tests at end only for those needing it for flight home. And — AMA continues its 100% record of being COVID free. Viking’s daily testing is proven by this to be overkill. 

I know people who got sick on an AMA cruise in March. I think most tested positive after but they were definitely sick while on the ship. I think it is one of those that when they tested to come back to the US, they tested negative but ultimately tested positive. With these rapid tests and omicron - it may not pick it up on the first few tests.

I think by nature of the 7 night trip - most won't test positive until after. This is what the main cruise lines have also encountered. People are testing positive after. It is now when the cruise lines are doing longer cruises, that they are running into problems and positive tests.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KSPlum74 said:

Nice flying!!  I am hoping I am as lucky. I'm guessing you never let Tauck test you on board?  Seems to have been a mistake on my part.  Getting my head around my may having to stay in France. Advantage is, per French law, I shouldn't have to continue quarantine as it will have been 7 days by tomorrow and could do some siteseeing.  Bad side is who knows how long it will take to get home.

My husband did test on Tauck.  Once after a self-test was positive and the CD suggested he take the Tauck test which was negative.  That was 2 days before departure.  Then on departure day, 1 day before flying out he took another and it too was negative.  After flying home he immediately took 2 more tests (different brands) and both were positive.  It was very convenient for the purposes of flying that the Tauck test was negative.  Interesting also that we were the most vocal with the CD about Covid protocols onboard.  I just hope he didn’t spread Covid on the trip home.  He had been symptomatic for 4-5 days by the end of the trip.

• Like 1

Viking passengers are “required” to mask even on pre cruise extensions. The Viking reps at the hotel are not wearing masks and there are 4 or 5 of them here. When a guest steps up they try to rush to put on their masks. I have no idea if they have the daily testing Viking ridiculously requires of passengers. There is definitely a level of stress that my husband and I feel as we try to enjoy our vacation prior to boarding the ship in a few days. This is a paid pre cruise extension with Viking. By the way, before being allowed to check into the hotel we had to provide negative COVID test. Then we were told that two days prior to boarding we would have to test again. Then every day on the ship we have to test. Honestly I wish we never came. I spoke with some Viking guests the other day who said several people were tossed off their ship. They also said it put a huge Damper on their enjoyment. We are becoming paranoid when we eat out or enter shops, museums etc.  At home we have no such concerns. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kpgclark said:

Viking passengers are “required” to mask even on pre cruise extensions. The Viking reps at the hotel are not wearing masks and there are 4 or 5 of them here. When a guest steps up they try to rush to put on their masks. I have no idea if they have the daily testing Viking ridiculously requires of passengers. There is definitely a level of stress that my husband and I feel as we try to enjoy our vacation prior to boarding the ship in a few days. This is a paid pre cruise extension with Viking. By the way, before being allowed to check into the hotel we had to provide negative COVID test. Then we were told that two days prior to boarding we would have to test again. Then every day on the ship we have to test. Honestly I wish we never came. I spoke with some Viking guests the other day who said several people were tossed off their ship. They also said it put a huge Damper on their enjoyment. We are becoming paranoid when we eat out or enter shops, museums etc.  At home we have no such concerns. 

I have a friend who did a Christmas market cruise on Viking and she felt safer with everyone testing daily.

I guess everyone has their own opinions.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, kpgclark said:

The Viking reps at the hotel seem to be wearing masks more often today.

It's good to read all the information here.  There are also a lot of irate people posting on Facebook about this very topic. I am so glad our river cruise is still one year out.  I really feel for the people who are scheduled to be sailing soon.  Everything seems to be changing almost daily.  Of course, that could be the case a year from now too. 😟

We are both fully vaccinated and have received two boosters and I probably would not be that upset if we had to wear masks on the boat.  But frankly, even as much as I love Maui (for example) I would not go there if I found out the hotel was going to test me for Covid every day. My choice. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

My husband did test on Tauck.  Once after a self-test was positive and the CD suggested he take the Tauck test which was negative.  That was 2 days before departure.  Then on departure day, 1 day before flying out he took another and it too was negative.  After flying home he immediately took 2 more tests (different brands) and both were positive.  It was very convenient for the purposes of flying that the Tauck test was negative.  Interesting also that we were the most vocal with the CD about Covid protocols onboard.  I just hope he didn’t spread Covid on the trip home.  He had been symptomatic for 4-5 days by the end of the trip.

I have not been so lucky. Have a appt with concereige doc in  few minutes to get a letter to travel, hopefully.   I think several passengers tested positive this morning as I was told my lunch delivery was delayed because they had so many.  The stress US citizens have to go through is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Good luck and so sorry the trip seems to be a bust.  Yes, it’s stressful but hopefully you were well informed of the process beforehand.  It’s the risk many are willing to take to get back to travel.

Bottom line, at least you didn’t have a severe case of Covid.  Please let us know how it turns out.

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Good luck and so sorry the trip seems to be a bust.  Yes, it’s stressful but hopefully you were well informed of the process beforehand.  It’s the risk many are willing to take to get back to travel.

Bottom line, at least you didn’t have a severe case of Covid.  Please let us know how it turns out.

I have been cleared to fly tomorrow.  Had a zoom call with a doctor in CT.  He asked a lot of questions and then consulted CDC documents and gave me the Fit to Fly paperwork necessary to go home tomorrow.  Last obstacle will be the AA check-in agent since I cannot upload the Fit to Fly document to AA or VeriFLY.

• Like 2

Just now, KSPlum74 said:

I have been cleared to fly tomorrow.  Had a zoom call with a doctor in CT.  He asked a lot of questions and then consulted CDC documents and gave me the Fit to Fly paperwork necessary to go home tomorrow.  Last obstacle will be the AA check-in agent since I cannot upload the Fit to Fly document to AA or VeriFLY.

I forgot to mention that my Fit to Fly cert is good for about 90 days which should cover my AK cruise in June since, based on all I’ve read, it’s entirely possible I will test positive for months.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KSPlum74 said:

I am glad to hear you can head home!!  Can you share how you got the doctors information in CT for the zoom call? Just in case we may need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtenel said:

I am glad to hear you can head home!!  Can you share how you got the doctors information in CT for the zoom call? Just in case we may need it.

Please.  We're traveling to France next month.  It would be good to have that info just in case.

We traveled to Morocco and a 3 week Danube cruise in the last year.  The added issues with Covid can suck a big chunk of joy from travel.  Just keeping track of requirements is stressful.  Hoping to stay healthy enough, at least on paper with a test,  to get home makes me a lot more hesitant to travel these days.