Splendor may 21 mask resquired

Lonedaddy

Just got this and it seems pretty stupid considering UK and Ireland (the only ports) don’t require masks  nor tests either but yet we get this.  Come on regent use some sense on this!   Hopefully this is just for EU show (and I know Ireland is in the EU) and the crew just ignores most of this. 

3)    Face Coverings

At this time, based on current EU Healthy Gateway guidance, face coverings are required onboard while indoors, except for when actively eating, drinking, exercising or when in your stateroom or suite. Face coverings are also required for a staff member to enter your suite. 

We will continue to provide updates based on EU Healthy Gateways guidance.

The fact that we in the UK are not wearing face masks means that you are at risk of catching Covid from us and returning to the ship and passing it on to your fellow passengers. As with norovirus in 'enclosed' environments, because you are in such close proximity to the other passengers it spreads much more rapidly. The vaccine protects you - the masks, social distancing and hand hygiene protects others from you.

In fairness, having picked up Covid on a trip to London a few weeks ago, and knowing quite a few others who have also succumbed lately after having avoided it for 2 years, symptoms are relatively mild for the vast majority. BUT - if the ship's rules state you either have to quarantine on the ship if positive (or worse be off loaded) does it not make sense to avoid ruining someone else's holiday/vacation by wearing a mask in the public areas?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Hopefully this is just for EU show (and I know Ireland is in the EU) and the crew just ignores most of this

I would hope that the crew will not ignore rules that are in place to protect the health & safety of all on board and also to ensure that the numbers quarantined do not adversely affect service levels.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Techno123 said:

The fact that we in the UK are not wearing face masks means that you are at risk of catching Covid from us and returning to the ship and passing it on to your fellow passengers. As with norovirus in 'enclosed' environments, because you are in such close proximity to the other passengers it spreads much more rapidly. The vaccine protects you - the masks, social distancing and hand hygiene protects others from you.

In fairness, having picked up Covid on a trip to London a few weeks ago, and knowing quite a few others who have also succumbed lately after having avoided it for 2 years, symptoms are relatively mild for the vast majority. BUT - if the ship's rules state you either have to quarantine on the ship if positive (or worse be off loaded) does it not make sense to avoid ruining someone else's holiday/vacation by wearing a mask in the public areas?

I fully agree with this.

We will be on this cruise (fingers crossed) and would urge anyone else on this cruise to follow the mask-wearing regime. Covid infections in the UK are begin to fall a little but are still very high. Until quite recently we knew hardly anyone who had had Covid, but now it is rife. The premature removal of all mandatory protective measures has led to this rapid rise - all this contributes to the risk of bringing infection back on board.

It may not be ideal to cruise wearing a mask but to protect everyone on board I hope Regent enforce this rigorously. 

• Like 3

Regent's on board testing policy...shows their take on this.

Guests will only be tested while on board if they report symptoms consistent with COVID-19, and it is deemed a medical necessity by the ship’s doctor, unless required to disembark due to local public health requirements.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doowopbob said:

Glad we canceled this cruise.  Hopefully this will change before our Sept Northern Europe cruise or we will probably cancel that to.

Sadly, we agreed with Bob, and cancelled this cruise.  We were supposed to spend 4 days with friends in Rustington (west of Southampton) before the cruise.  They suggested that, under current UK Covid rules, the risk of catching the disease was too great.  Shortly after we cancelled, one of the friends caught the disease despite having all four shots.  A relatively mild case; but still ....

Have a wonderful cruise, and keep wearing the N-95 of K-95 masks.  Joe

9 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Keep in mind that many countries are removing restrictions for May 1....

It's going back to what I said in a previous post. The vast majority of the people I know who have had Covid since the UK lifted all restrictions have not been particularly ill and in fairness, I could have totally enjoyed a cruise when I had it. BUT even if the countries remove restrictions, whilst the cruise ships quarantine or offload people with Covid then it is important to protect each other. If they change their rules so it is no more of an issue than having a common cold then happy days.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Keep in mind that many countries are removing restrictions for May 1....

If you tell me that the US is going to drop the negative test to return home - that would make my day!   Got any dates on that in your crystal ball? 

• Like 5

On 4/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, Lonedaddy said:

Just got this and it seems pretty stupid considering UK and Ireland (the only ports) don’t require masks  nor tests either but yet we get this.  Come on regent use some sense on this!   Hopefully this is just for EU show (and I know Ireland is in the EU) and the crew just ignores most of this. 

3)    Face Coverings

At this time, based on current EU Healthy Gateway guidance, face coverings are required onboard while indoors, except for when actively eating, drinking, exercising or when in your stateroom or suite. Face coverings are also required for a staff member to enter your suite. 

We will continue to provide updates based on EU Healthy Gateways guidance.

Well, I have a cruise coming up June 26th from Athens to Athens to Rome.. I'll be damned if we need to wear masks on the cruise. I have 3 cabins booked for my family costing some $140K. If masks are required onboard  better to cancel the cruise and give the me my money back.. I'll rent a villa w a yacht on the Italian Riviera in Liguria for the family for the 18 days

• Like 3

Just completed a Regent cruise where masks were required. But none were required while dining or drinking, in outdoor areas, or when working out.  A total of 8 confirmed COVID cases during the cruise, but no serious outcomes. 

I really don't understand the overreaction to mask mandate. I don't like wearing them myself, but in practical terms you really don't need to wear them very often while on the boat.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SohoCruiserX said:

I'll be damned if we need to wear masks on the cruise. I have 3 cabins booked for my family costing some $140K. If masks are required onboard  better to cancel the cruise and give the me my money back.

Are you saying that you will ignore the H&S rules pertaining at the time you join the ship or that you intend to cancel and suffer the financial penalties of a late cancellation?

I am sure that Regent will only relax their rules when local regulations allow and when they are sure that the health of crew & guests will not be compromised.

• Like 5

On 4/24/2022 at 5:48 PM, Techno123 said:

It's going back to what I said in a previous post. The vast majority of the people I know who have had Covid since the UK lifted all restrictions have not been particularly ill and in fairness, I could have totally enjoyed a cruise when I had it. BUT even if the countries remove restrictions, whilst the cruise ships quarantine or offload people with Covid then it is important to protect each other. If they change their rules so it is no more of an issue than having a common cold then happy days.

We got off Voyager in Lisbon and travelled back to the UK on Good Friday 15th April, i tested positive for Covid on Tuesday 19th i felt rotten for 3 days and even now i feel tired and have very little taste or smell, so my experience of having Covid is completely different to yours, as i certainly would not have enjoyed a cruise one little bit. My wife tested positive this Monday and has felt pretty rough since. Also how could you possibly enjoy a cruise when you are quarantined in your suite. On our cruise i got Norovirus and we were quarantined from Monday afternoon to 2pm on Thursday and i can honestly say it was not a pleasant cruise experience at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seasickphil said:

We got off Voyager in Lisbon and travelled back to the UK on Good Friday 15th April, i tested positive for Covid on Tuesday 19th i felt rotten for 3 days and even now i feel tired and have very little taste or smell, so my experience of having Covid is completely different to yours, as i certainly would not have enjoyed a cruise one little bit. My wife tested positive this Monday and has felt pretty rough since. Also how could you possibly enjoy a cruise when you are quarantined in your suite. On our cruise i got Norovirus and we were quarantined from Monday afternoon to 2pm on Thursday and i can honestly say it was not a pleasant cruise experience at all.

Hope you didn't get seasick as well, Phil! Sounds like you and your wife suffered more than I did - maybe the Norovirus lowered your immune system so you suffered more? (Or was that a different cruise) What I meant was when Covid is considered to be the equivalent of a cold type virus and the quarantine doesn't happen anymore. (I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed a cruise if I was quarantined in my suite 😱)

Whilst people are still being quarantined though, I think it is important that everyone onboard wears masks, washes their hands and maintains social distancing so that they protect others. I had symptoms for 4 days before the LFT showed positive so even a negative test doesn't mean you aren't infectious.

Edited by Techno123

We were on the Transatlantic Explorer cruise that ended April 10 in Rome. Several weeks before boarding we were informed that masks would be required. As we boarded the ship on March 25, we were told, as we entered, that masks were optional. It was a great relief. We were tested for Covid by the ship’s staff the day before our return flight to the US. Beginning with the next cruise, however, masks became mandatory. Unless there is a substantial change, it appears that the mask requirement will remain in place. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Are you saying that you will ignore the H&S rules pertaining at the time you join the ship or that you intend to cancel and suffer the financial penalties of a late cancellation?

I am sure that Regent will only relax their rules when local regulations allow and when they are sure that the health of crew & guests will not be compromised.

With all the protocols such as testing, masks, distancing (that didn't really work as planned) being dropped by many governments and covid transforming into more of a cold, arent cruise lines still be held to a high standard with all the yellow orange monitoring and mandates?  

And yes if you catch covid you will probably feel like crap just like you do with a cold, flu or other minor sickness especially if you are run down.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Hope you didn't get seasick as well, Phil! Sounds like you and your wife suffered more than I did - maybe the Norovirus lowered your immune system so you suffered more? (Or was that a different cruise) What I meant was when Covid is considered to be the equivalent of a cold type virus and the quarantine doesn't happen anymore. (I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed a cruise if I was quarantined in my suite 😱)

Whilst people are still being quarantined though, I think it is important that everyone onboard wears masks, washes their hands and maintains social distancing so that they protect others. I had symptoms for 4 days before the LFT showed positive so even a negative test doesn't mean you aren't infectious.

I was thinking the same, probably my immune system was indeed a bit low and that might be why Covid seem to be affecting me more. Unfortunately on our only sea day from Rome to Palma there was a fair bit of sea swell and yes i was seasick but only for a few hours in the afternoon, recovered enough to be able to go to dinner.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 3:29 AM, TheRampantSnail said:

I fully agree with this.

We will be on this cruise (fingers crossed) and would urge anyone else on this cruise to follow the mask-wearing regime. Covid infections in the UK are begin to fall a little but are still very high. Until quite recently we knew hardly anyone who had had Covid, but now it is rife. The premature removal of all mandatory protective measures has led to this rapid rise - all this contributes to the risk of bringing infection back on board.

It may not be ideal to cruise wearing a mask but to protect everyone on board I hope Regent enforce this rigorously. 

I also agree 100% and let’s hope the crew are wearing mask when off service, not just when working.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I also agree 100% and let’s hope the crew are wearing mask when off service, not just when working.

If you have never been to the crew quarters lets just say that social distancing is not the same as it is upstairs. Remember back to when you were 20 and had no money and not many entertainment opportunities...how did you spend your time?

Bingo!

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, LvnCruisin said:

They are following the EU's rules not there own and not the individual countries. Get the EU and the CDC to get rid of all of their rules and everyone will be happier.

Amen to that!!

• Like 1

Disembarked Splendour yesterday 2nd  May, masks needed as said, but there are some who just ignored the mandate.  Unfortunately senior staff didn’t enforce the rules, so those people just did what they wanted. Even on buses on excursions with signs on said buses saying mandatory mask wearing, either they can’t read or are just ignorant to other passengers health and safety.

Its not pleasant wearing the masks, but  for your fellow passengers,  please while the rules are there follow them.
Re the passengers who wouldn’t wear the masks anywhere,  the ones that did, were anxious going out on tours until they knew they where not on the same tour.

Apart from this issue, the rest of the cruise was fantastic. Enjoy