Internet Price Increase

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Considering the slow speed I might have to suck it up and go unplugged for a cruise. It’s not like not having the internet would kill me.

Not being connected is actually one of the things that I enjoy most about cruising. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Not being connected is actually one of the things that I enjoy most about cruising. 

I agree and remember well the days when that wasn't even an option. Ship satellite phone service was very costly and limited usually to emergency calls.  And cell service was limited to certain ports of call, with pay phones often as the option for CC calls back home. You truly were away from it all - especially from work - when at sea on a cruise ship.  Hence the origin of my screenname!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I've already bought my internet for my Alaska this summer for $16 per device with a 2 Device package.  My Allure in December is a little bit more at $16.50 per device for a two device package.  I'm about at my limit for pricing on this.  Much more of an increase and I will probably do without.  I love having internet onboard but there is a limit.

If I didn't have some OBC to spend I think I would have passed this time around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I agree and remember well the days when that wasn't even an option. Ship satellite phone service was very costly and limited usually to emergency calls.  And cell service was limited to certain ports of call, with pay phones often as the option for CC calls back home. You truly were away from it all - especially from work - when at sea on a cruise ship.  Hence the origin of my screenname!

I can remember those days.  My mom and dad were always cruising between Thanksgiving and mid-December.  My birthday is in there.  I got more than one birthday phone call, "Happy birthday!  This call is costing us $15/minute.  Have fun, bye!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've mentioned before that hopefully Elon Musk starlink will become a thing of the future and will work with cruise ships at sea.  Then we won't be at the mercy of the price gouging.  And also, I don't understand why when the title is internet price increase, there is always inevitably that individual who has to comment to go without as they do.  If that's the case, that's fine with me because the more of you, the better for me.  But why do you even read the thread?  No one who gets the wifi package will listen to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

How is $21.99 for surf with one device less than the $15.99 that I see in your planner?

I was actually looking at the 2-device Surf + Stream price (as that's what I'm buying).  Cruise Planer lists it as $31.19, but the onboard price is $25.99.  But looking at that onboard price list, it must be "per device" because I see that 2 devices is less than 1 and 3 is less than 2.  i didn't notice that - I just saw the $25.99 and I had paid $31.19.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I was actually looking at the 2-device Surf + Stream price (as that's what I'm buying).  Cruise Planer lists it as $31.19, but the onboard price is $25.99.  But looking at that onboard price list, it must be "per device" because I see that 2 devices is less than 1 and 3 is less than 2.  i didn't notice that - I just saw the $25.99 and I had paid $31.19.

Yes, it is per device.