Live from the Caribbean Princess: Panama Canal - Apr 26 to May 14 - SF to FTL

Ken the cruiser

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I'm a big fan of Women's Golf.  The Womens US Open is at Pine Needles while we'll be on board.  Do any of the bars qualify even remotely as a sport bar where I might be able to bribe a bartender to put it on the tube?  😀

We’re in the third and final lock! If you look to the right you can see the water storage tanks for the second lock. Also, there’s another huge container ship queuing up in the distance and it looks like it’s actually going to be the next one in!

image.thumb.jpg.7bfd830f9803699e8a5b3a0f12ca1553.jpg

• Like 2

It’s official now, we have left the area as we just went under the Atlantic Bridge. If you look to the right you will see the entry to the original French attempt to build a canal through Panama, which eventually failed before the US bought the rights to build it. 

9A08B882-B80E-4B99-9CD7-381BD5A8FC1C.thumb.jpeg.0e9ca61f949ab30005e0b787fd3a3979.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, srice said:

Ken, did you use http://en.youwebcams.org/category/panama/ for your external pictures?

No. I used my cameras on my iPhone and iPad depending on their battery levels! 😂 The webcam shots were provided by @Essiesmom who is following the thread which gave a different perspective of which I’m very thankful she did. 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you look to the right you will see the entry to the original French attempt to build a canal through Panama, which eventually failed before the US bought the rights to build it. 

That's so fascinating! I had no idea that had happened.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Was that as tight a squeeze as it looks or just the angle?

It didn’t seem all that tight. At post 451 I posted a picture where they used a tie rope from the ship on each side to keep it steady as the water rose or dropped in the lock. 

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No. I used my cameras on my iPhone and iPad depending on their battery levels! 😂 The webcam shots were provided by @Essiesmom who is following the thread which gave a different perspective of which I’m very thankful she did. 😁

By external pictures I meant one like this

image.png.ef52c782be82147cf5107ad198c77319.png

Most likely that is where she got those webcam pictures plus the shots from Princess' webcam.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Essiesmom said:

The external pictures are screen shots from the Panama Canal webcams, which can be found at multimedia.panama-canal.com.  EM

Thank you for the link.  That appears to be a great source.

5 minutes ago, srice said:

By external pictures I meant one like this

image.png.ef52c782be82147cf5107ad198c77319.png

Most likely that is where she got those webcam pictures plus the shots from Princess' webcam.

The new locks are 180 ft wide. If you could look up how wide the CB is that should give you a good feeling for how tight it really was. 

The new lock chambers are 180 ft (54.86 m) wide, 1,400 ft (426.72 m) long, and 60 ft (18.29 m) deep. These dimensions allow for an estimated 79% of all cargo-carrying vessels to transit the canal, up from 45%.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The new locks are 180 ft wide. If you could look up how wide the CB is that should give you a good feeling for how tight it really was.

looks like the Beam (widest point at the nominal water line per wikipedia) on this ship is 159ft

19 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The new lock chambers are 180 ft (54.86 m) wide, 1,400 ft (426.72 m) long, and 60 ft (18.29 m) deep. These dimensions allow for an estimated 79% of all cargo-carrying vessels to transit the canal, up from 45%.

You got me curious, so I went and looked up the CB stats. 

General characteristics
Class and type Grand-classcruise ship
Tonnage 112,894 GT
Length 951 ft (289.9 m)
Beam 118 ft (36.0 m)
Draft 26.2 ft (8.0 m)[3]

Then I went and looked up the width of the old locks. 

Each chamber is 33.5 meters (or 110 feet) wide and 304 meters long. 

From these figures it doesn’t appear the CB would fit in the old locks, but would definitely fit quite comfortably in the new ones that are 180 feet wide. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Princess

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

That's so fascinating! I had no idea that had happened.

If you get a chance read Path Between the Seas.  It is a fantastic book.  I read it as we sailed to and through the Panama Canal our first time.

Cheers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

From these figures it doesn’t appear the CB would fit in the old locks, but would definitely fit quite comfortably in the new ones that are 180 feet wide. 

The Island and Coral were built to Panamax specs for the old locks and are smaller than the Grand Class ships so CB does not fit through the old locks. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

looks like the Beam (widest point at the nominal water line per wikipedia) on this ship is 159ft

I like your figures better as it did seem there was 30’ of space on each side of the ship. But then I never was at a vantage point where I could actually see the gap on each side. 

1 minute ago, GonzoWCS said:

If you get a chance read Path Between the Seas.  It is a fantastic book.  I read it as we sailed to and through the Panama Canal our first time.

Cheers

Just used this month's Audible credit to get this one. Thanks for the recommendation! I am currently listening to Atlantic and just finished Pacific both by Simon Winchester who is one of my favorite non-fiction writers so this will be a perfect complement.

• Like 1