Don't understand the RCCL discount for State of Residence

This evening we booked a 9 night cruise out of New Jersey on the Adventure of the Seas in August of 2022.  We got the 550 off and the 30% per person and over 700 dollars for our state of residence which is Kentucky.  I just thought I would mention this as it really helps with the bottom line.

Bill

2 minutes ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

Shouldn’t the people who pay taxes in the state get the state discount?

Rarely is the discount based on a state - most of the time everyone gets the "state" discount, even folks who claim an APO (overseas military/gov't) address. The discount has nothing to do with taxes paid in the state - the few times it is solely state based it's to incentivize folks from those regions to book.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

Hmm. I live in NJ and didn’t get any type of state discount for out upcoming cruise out of Cape Liberty. Shouldn’t the people who pay taxes in the state get the state discount? I wonder what it’s based on.

Not sure what paying taxes has to do with this, since there is no connection between your state taxes (or federal taxes) and the cruise lines.  As stated above, the residency discounts are designed to garner cruisers from those regions that may have low participation rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

Hmm. I live in NJ and didn’t get any type of state discount for out upcoming cruise out of Cape Liberty. Shouldn’t the people who pay taxes in the state get the state discount? I wonder what it’s based on.

Summer Oasis sailing by any chance?

State discounts seem to show up closer to the sailing (1 year out), on sailings that are not as popular.  For example, there are resident discounts on New Jersey Adventure May Canada and March 2023 Anthem. I didn’t see a resident discount on the summer Oasis sailing I was looking at.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what paying taxes has to do with this, since there is no connection between your state taxes (or federal taxes) and the cruise lines.  As stated above, the residency discounts are designed to garner cruisers from those regions that may have low participation rates.

That makes sense. Without knowing the meaning of it, I would have guessed that it’s like how FL residents have discounts to Disney or our state taxes help pay for the ports, so not a benefit to RC, but to Cape Liberty port that might be passed back as a resident discount. But trying to garner regional interest to drive to NJ rather than fly to FL makes more sense.

1 minute ago, Jkaczanowski said:

Summer Oasis sailing by any chance?

State discounts seem to show up closer to the sailing (1 year out), on sailings that are not as popular.  For example, there are resident discounts on New Jersey Adventure May Canada and March 2023 Anthem. I didn’t see a resident discount on the summer Oasis sailing I was looking at.  

Yep, Oasis smack-dab in the middle of July.