Disembarking for the day at each port. . . . how quick?

lucy n

First cruise with MSC next month-visiting Genoa, Marseille, Syracuse, and Taranto.  Not keen to book any excursions as we want to explore at our own pace, so does anyone know how quickly you can get off the boat each day if you're not on an organised trip?  Also do most ports have shuttle buses that you can take into the main towns?

Any tips much appreciated!

Unless it is a tender port, you can be the first off. Who ever gets first to the gangway gets off first.

In Genoa the port is right in the city and no shuttle is required,

In Marseille MSC offers a shuttle you need to pay for right next to the ship. Alternatively you could walk (quite far) to the port exit where public transportation is offered.

8 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Unless it is a tender port, you can be the first off. Who ever gets first to the gangway gets off first.

In Marseille MSC offers a shuttle you need to pay for right next to the ship. Alternatively you could walk (quite far) to the port exit where public transportation is offered.

Syracuse also docks in the city 🙂

13 hours ago, carlmm said:

Shuttle to the city? Or shuttle to the port exit?  How about on the way back?

2 hours ago, xcell said:

Shuttle to the city? Or shuttle to the port exit?  How about on the way back?

I did it the other month and took a free shuttle bus from this stop - https://goo.gl/maps/moLJmnr4SjeYBr5Y8

Coming back I took the 35 from this stop - https://goo.gl/maps/V6CuMZHZB9sgZGCu6 which drops off here - https://goo.gl/maps/iHmHmL6Jj2HokT5M9 They weren't taking payment for the bus at the time, but it's less than 2 euro.

Takes about 15 mins to walk but saves paying about 17 euros for MSC shuttle

• Like 1

I'd love to hear your trip report when you come back. We are doing that same route on the Splendida in September. We booked the Rome Excursion but are going to explore on our own in the other ports. First time MSC cruisers. It's our 30th Anniversary. Thanks.

On 4/26/2022 at 3:25 PM, lucy n said:

Thanks all this is really helpful to know! Got small kids in tow so may bite the bullet and take the MSC shuttle in Marseille

@sm9690 were you on an MSC ship? 

Taxi may be cheaper with kids in tow.  However, I would not expect Taxi to have car seats.  MSC shuttle operates on a full and go basis.  Not a timetable.

• Like 1

In my experience it takes some 15 minutes for the crew to install the gangway after arrival. The line is gone in 5-10 minutes.

In Barcelona there is a port-shuttle for €4,50 per person, to the WTC (bus, several standing passengers). The MSC-shuttle was € 9,- per person, to the same destination (coach, all seated).

In Marseille there is a free port-shuttle to the port entrance. There you can change (5 minute walk) to public transport (15 minutes to the city for € 2,- per person). MSC-shuttle to the city was € 16,- per person.

In Genua I don't know about an MSC-shuttle, but you can walk 10 minutes to public transport, several service to the centre of the city.

I don't know for Syracuse and Taranto. Bear in mind that if one of those happens to be a tender port, you'll need some extra time. In Genoa the MSC managed cruise terminal is equipped with an air bridge from ship to terminal, so you'll may be ready to go in minutes. Marseille at the time I was there was a cargo dock with some cruise assistance, so they'll open some 2 or 3 stars, so the process is relatively slower than Genoa. Here I recommend the cruise line's shuttle because otherwise you'll might to be placed on a very remote dock and so you'll most likely to spend a lot of your limited valuable time on commuting logistics rather than exploring the nice city. Have a nice day!...

When I was in Genua last sunday on MSC Opera they used the fixed bridge from deck 6 to shore for (dis)embarking passengers, while transit passengers used the exit/entrance on deck 4. The fixed bridge was open minutes after arrival, while the deck 4 bridge took some 15 minutes to be installed. Similar arrangements were used in other ports as well. In Barcelona for example two bridges were installed on deck 6, while in Palermo and Tunis two bridges were installed on deck 4 and one stairs bridge on deck 5.

• 8 months later...
On 1/18/2023 at 6:09 AM, Loopy_loo said:

We have an MSC cruise booked in June . Please can someone let me know how long it takes to disembark at Syracuse in Sicily . We dock at 7 am . We then need to get a taxi to Catania for an 11.45 am flight 

Welcome to CC.