Bermuda Travel Authorization - Children Gov't Issued ID

Mike A

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere. My 2 Grand Daughters (Age 13 & 8 ) do not have Passports and we were planning on using their Birth Certificates in lieu of the passport. I know that NCL does not require the Gov't. ID under age 16. However, the Bermuda Travel Authorization also requires the Gov't ID w/Birth Certificate and makes no mention of exemption of children below the age of 16. If anyone, who traveled recently to Bermuda with families has the answer to this I would appreciate it. We are not leaving until 5/29 so I am trying to be proactive.

Thanks for your assistance🙂

Mike A

Edited by Mike A

I Know that. Problem is we just booked a last-minute trip. We have done the Birth Certificate thing in the past, however, to your point, you never know. Worse case we would go to the US embassy if god forbid something happened.

3 hours ago, Mike A said:

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere. My 2 Grand Daughters (Age 13 & 8 ) do not have Passports and we were planning on using their Birth Certificates in lieu of the passport. I know that NCL does not require the Gov't. ID under age 16. However, the Bermuda Travel Authorization also requires the Gov't ID w/Birth Certificate and makes no mention of exemption of children below the age of 16. If anyone, who traveled recently to Bermuda with families has the answer to this I would appreciate it. We are not leaving until 5/29 so I am trying to be proactive.

Thanks for your assistance🙂

Mike A

NCL wouldn't be able permit children under 16 to travel without an ID if it were not permitted by the US government and the governments of any ports being visited. These documentation requirements were agreed upon by the US government and the participating destination ports under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

So the short answer is that the children do not need an ID as Bermuda participates in the WHTI.

That Bermuda has not noted that exception on their Travel Authorization application is undoubtedly just an oversight on their part.

• Like 1

njhorseman, Thank you so much for your response which makes sense. FYI, I just sat on hold for almost 2 hours on the Bermuda TA hotline and spoke to a woman named Karen. She told me that as long as I presented a Picture ID on the TA form from their school it would be fine. I will send in the TA next week and see what happens.

Also I ask anyone who traveled with families recently to Bermuda w/ Birth Certificate to reply with their experience, I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone !!!

Mike A

2 hours ago, Mike A said:

She told me that as long as I presented a Picture ID on the TA form from their school it would be fine. I will send in the TA next week and see what happens.

And what are you supposed to do if you have, say, a 3 yo preschooler ? 

The answer you got, as is common when you call a telephone customer service line, is likely nonsense. 

• Like 1

I thought exactly the same thing. She was not confident in her answer and after waiting 2 hours on hold I was not going to question her any further. I am confident that the Birth Certificate will be fine. We would have heard something prior if there was a problem. If anyone else can chime in I would appreciate it. 

Thanks again.
Mike A.  

I think it is important for children to have passports in these days.

Both of my children had passports at an early age, and my granddaughter was given one before she was a year old.
So regardless of what can be done for your present trip, I would immediately make applications for them. You just may happily receive the passports before this trip.
And as I am sure that you know, for an extra fee, applications can be expedited, and as I see that you are near NYC, it is possible to get immediate passports in person, if you have no other recourse.

• Like 1

When we went to Bermuda a couple of years ago, my son was 15, and he didn't have a passport yet.  Or a government ID.  His school ID worked just fine.  They only asked for it when he went on the ship without my husband or myself at King's Wharf

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kjunea said:

When we went to Bermuda a couple of years ago, my son was 15, and he didn't have a passport yet.  Or a government ID.  His school ID worked just fine.  They only asked for it when he went on the ship without my husband or myself at King's Wharf

I second this and what was previously stated about NCL not allowing passengers to board with only birth certificate if it was not acceptable to the countries visited. We cruised to Bermuda this past October/November and my 14 year old daughter was asked for a photo ID to get back on the ship while there. The first time we were all together and we just told them she is 14, she doesnt have one with her. I got the impression they would have preferred her to have an ID but it wasnt a problem. The next time we got off the ship she carried her passport with her and showed it when she wanted to go back a bit before us. Again, no issues.  

• Like 1

Have you thought about having their parents obtain an ID card from their local Department of Motor Vehicles?

While my daughter did have a passport, we obtained one for her (Maryland) as it provided a government issued photo ID for use to enter port areas.

Here are the requirements for NY state (I realize your grandchildren may not reside in NYS, but it gives you an idea of what is needed).

https://dmv.ny.gov/id-card/get-non-driver-id-card-ndid 

• Like 1

Hi All...Thank you for your replies. We are absolutely applying for the NY Non-Driver ID card. While I can obtain the Temporary Card immediately, the problem is they state it may take 60 days to receive the permanent card with a picture on it due to COVID. We can also apply, if necessary, for an expedited passport at the NY Passport agency. Frankly, I totally agree with Trivia Addict and I will work to obtain Passports for my grandchildren. The problem here is this was a last minute trip and was never thought of:(

The key here is in the past a Gov't issued picture ID was never needed to get into or out of Bermuda on a ship for those under age 16. I am hoping as njhorseman stated that it was an oversite on the TA form as Bermuda participates in the WHTI. I will submit the TA with the Student ID as soon as it is available, hopefully on Friday, and see if they accept🤞.

I thank you all for your assistance and I will keep you posted.

Mike A

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

The state issued ID card was valuable in other places when an ID was needed.

No one questioned the Maryland one.  It also let me know that, God forbid, something happened where police needed a picture, they had a government agency they could access for information.

• Like 1

I'm gonna say your safest option is a US Passport.  My kids traveled with passports that had their infant baby pictures on them for 10 years (back in the day).  All you need to do is look at what happened to the Escape passengers when it ran aground.  Have passport - jump on the next place out.  Without a passport - welcome to paperwork hell.

I know the passport process can be a pain and costly, but it is the cheapest insurance policy you can buy.  

Oh, and make sure you get an authorization to medically treat the grandpups in case they need medical attention during the trip.

Edited by CrazyTrain2
  • Like 2

Hi CrazyTrain2...I spoke to my daughter (Granddaughters Mom), who is traveling with us, and we are going to try for the Expedited Passports. Regardless, I hope that Bermuda will accept the TA with the Birth Certificate and School ID when I do submit the TA application when it is released for our sailing, most likely Friday or Saturday as the cruise is May 29th. FWIW, between the Travel Insurance and their Benefits here in the US they should have full coverage if God forbid something happens Regarding the Passport, I totally agree with you the others who commented. It is worth it's weight in gold. We did this trip very last minute and I committed a rookie mistake 😬

Thanks and Stay Safe !!!
Mike A

• Like 2

I hope we can get off of the ship.  My 12 year old has his ID from middle school but my daughter is only 8 and the minimum age to get a photo ID here is 10.  We booked the cruise too fast to get passports in time.  Even expedited ones will take too long.  

just a note about "expedited" passports from the new york city office... i did this a few years ago... and i remember it as a two day process. you submit all your data and your photo. and then you come back the next day for the completed passport. YMMV and they may have a same day service now; i don't know.  ALL the appointments are now given out by phone only, however... no walk-ins. so call for an appointment as soon as you can.

and there are actually two "emergency" services provided... there is a "life or death emergency service" and an "urgent travel service." the kids would presumably qualify for the latter, not the former. the term "expedited" is used mostly by companies who handle much of the passport application process for you for an additional fee; the department of state calls it "urgent travel service."

my understanding is that those under 16, or those applying for a first passport, must apply in person.

• Like 1

I just took my 2 year old son to the DMV for a children's ID card. We also have a certified copy of his birth certificate. I hope that will be enough... We also did not book this cruise until the last minute and were pretty sure that there wasn't enough time for an expedited passport since we literally couldn't get an appointment until mid May. Children passports need to be submitted in person and both parents have to be present which would mean we would both have to take off work.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, njhorseman said:

And what are you supposed to do if you have, say, a 3 yo preschooler ? 

The answer you got, as is common when you call a telephone customer service line, is likely nonsense. 

On 4/25/2022 at 9:09 PM, trivia addict said:

I think it is important for children to have passports in these days.

Both of my children had passports at an early age, and my granddaughter was given one before she was a year old.
So regardless of what can be done for your present trip, I would immediately make applications for them. You just may happily receive the passports before this trip.
And as I am sure that you know, for an extra fee, applications can be expedited, and as I see that you are near NYC, it is possible to get immediate passports in person, if you have no other recourse.

Yes we live 45 minutes from NYC and will try for the passports. We will call for appointments and let you know how it works out. We also are going to DMV for ID cards. If we get the permanent card prior to the cruise we will be very happy 
Thanks everyone for your posts and assistance 🙂

Mike A