Can someone please explain luggage for Alaska Cruisetour

MudderBear

8 hours ago, Ricbr said:

So I am also going on an Alaska Cruise Tour (end of July) with the land first.  I guess I am still a little confused with the answers above.  

If my wife and I are both traveling with a medium size suit case (2x 25 inch wheeled checked bags) and smaller carry on bags (2x 21 inch wheeled carry on bags).  I will have a camera bag pack and my wife will have a small back pack as well that we plan on using for our time walking around Alaska and the various shore excursions that we signed up for.  Those will be on our possession the entire time.

Question 1)  If I am understanding this correctly we should pack our 2 larger checked bags with the items that are only going to be on the cruise ship?  And the 2 smaller carry on bags would need to contain all of our clothes/shoes/medicines and toiletries for the 3 days on the land?  We can't bring both bags with us?

You each can have one piece of luggage on the land portion that will be transported by Princess from one hotel/lodge to the next and finally to the ship. Other pieces of luggage will join you at the ship.

If all the clothing, toiletries, etc. that you need on the land portion can fit in the two carryons, they can be what Princess transports during the land portion and the two large bags can be tagged to just go to the ship.

If what you need to use during the land portion cannot fit into the two carryons, then use one or both large bags on the trip and let Princess take one or both carryons to meet you on the ship.

The point being is you each can have one bag Princess transports on the land portion and one that can meet up with you on the ship. Just pick which size bag is appropriate for going on the land portion for each of you.

It sounds as if your carryon is too big for the train. There is no place on the train you can put the size carryon bag you have except on your lap.

Then your camera bag and your wife's backpack can accompany you on the train.

Please be aware that the luggage Princess transports during the land portion may be picked up outside your room an hour or more before you actually leave the room. Also, the luggage may not already be at your next stop before you arrive there.

On 5/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, compozer said:

If I recall, we were told our airline carryons are too large.   Do you remember?    We have very nice carryons and I never check them - and don't want 5 other things piled on top of them under the bus.  I want to keep them with me - will they allow them on the bus and train?   And I do not want to take a duffle bag just for the bus/train rides.

Thanks

On the train space is very very limited. Only a backpack or something small like that will fit. Especially if you are in the older dome top car where you have to sit 4 to a table for the whole trip. There was barely any room under our feet for the backpacks. The dome top train car where you are all sitting facing the same way like a bus has a little more room at your feet. As they are both clear dome tops there is no overhead storage for small suitcases.

59 minutes ago, adstz said:

On the train space is very very limited. Only a backpack or something small like that will fit. Especially if you are in the older dome top car where you have to sit 4 to a table for the whole trip. There was barely any room under our feet for the backpacks. The dome top train car where you are all sitting facing the same way like a bus has a little more room at your feet. As they are both clear dome tops there is no overhead storage for small suitcases.

I remember that from our last trip but we had no issues because only 2/3 or less of the seats were occupied.   My son's case will have all his camera gear in it and he plans to take pictures along the way so he needs it 0 changes cameras and lens frequently.   If I recall, there is luggage storage under the bus and some place on the train - right?   We do not use backpacks and I am not purchasing any just for this trip.

Thank you all for the answers.  The last item I am curious about...it is mentioned once or twice that my carry on would be too big for the train.  If the carry on is what I use for the land part of the trip while I tag my Large case to meet me on board.  How does my carry on get to the ship if it is too big for the train?  

Do I get another tag at my last hotel stop before I get on the train to send that bag ahead to meet me at the ship??

• 1 month later...

So if i get this correct, if my wife and I can manage to fit all our stuff for both the land and cruise in 2 large suitcases(1 per person) plus 1 small underseat carry-on per person, then we don't need to separate the land from the cruise. That would have ALL our suitcases on the land then follow us on the truck to the ship, if allowed.  Correct?

On 4/26/2022 at 8:40 AM, caribill said:

Each person may have one piece of luggage going on the land tour.

On our Cruisetour that began on May 26 we found this to be no longer true. We were allowed multiple bags per person on the land tour if we wished.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

On our Cruisetour that began on May 26 we found this to be no longer true. We were allowed multiple bags per person on the land tour if we wished.

Princess web site has not kept up with the reality you found:

"Join Me Tonight" Luggage
You are allowed one piece of "Join Me Tonight" baggage per person on the land portion of your cruisetour. You will simply pack one bag and place luggage where instructed. Our handlers will pick it up and deliver it to your room at the next overnight location on your land tour.

12 hours ago, Willwils said:

So if i get this correct, if my wife and I can manage to fit all our stuff for both the land and cruise in 2 large suitcases(1 per person) plus 1 small underseat carry-on per person, then we don't need to separate the land from the cruise. That would have ALL our suitcases on the land then follow us on the truck to the ship, if allowed.  Correct?

Correct. Exactly as we did it.

16 hours ago, Willwils said:

Just be aware there is often VERY limited carry on storage depending on what tour your doing.  I would recommend a standard size backpack only as a general rule of thumb.  There is basically no underseat and definitely NO overhead storage on the Princess Train, the buses will vary and one bus will have plenty of overhead space and another its like trying to shove a marshmallow in a piggie bank.  

On 5/6/2022 at 9:00 AM, Ricbr said:

Thank you all for the answers.  The last item I am curious about...it is mentioned once or twice that my carry on would be too big for the train.  If the carry on is what I use for the land part of the trip while I tag my Large case to meet me on board.  How does my carry on get to the ship if it is too big for the train?  

Do I get another tag at my last hotel stop before I get on the train to send that bag ahead to meet me at the ship??

Your carry on is not what you will use for the Land tour, its really only meant to keep things you MUST have with you, cameras, paperwork, passports, medication etc.  You will have a bag that follows you to every hotel each day.  They handle that bag 100% of the time, you leave it in your room before you leave (or in the hallway depending on the location) and it magically appears in your rooms hen you get to the next stop.  Reference the post I just made above, you really want your carryon to be as small as possible to make it easier on you.

• Like 1