Yes, you do need ArriveCan if your Ship Stops in Canada

Ferry_Watcher

Just a reminder that every person traveling into/to Canada must register / download their vaccine status, proof of citizenship, method of travel with the Canadian gov't thru ArriveCan. 

If you show up for your cruise at an American port (i,e, Seattle) without proof of ArrivCan, you will be asked to download the app and complete the registration at the terminal.  You must complete the app registration successfully and show proof that it was accepted.  Once the registration is completed and accepted, you will receive a QR code which will allow you to begin your embarkation process.

It does not matter if you don't plan on getting off the ship in Victoria, BC. - everyone still needs to have it.

It is much easier and less stressful to register for ArriveCan while still at home.  For those who are uncomfortable using phone apps, there is a  option for using a laptop (you must print out a copy of your QR code and bring it).  For cruisers, the ArriveCan info must be submitted within 72 hours of the day you embark (sail from a US port).

If your cruise is later this season, you can still download the app now, enter you vaccination info, proof of citizenship, the method of travel (cruise ship), and hold the info.  Then, 72 hours before your cruise, double check your entry, or refresh it, then submit it.  Make sure that everyone in your travel party is registered, regardless of age,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@CruiserBruce, LOL my friend.

Even though words like mandatory, required, everyone, all,  are used some folks will still ask if it still applies to them.  Hence the "but I am not getting off the ship" frame of mind.

The more we can educate, the fewer stressed and bewildered passengers we will have showing up for their Alaska cruises without ArriveCan. 

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 4

I finally got ArriveCan downloaded onto my cell phone, opened a new account with my email andpasswor5d but when I go to check in I am met with a message Sign In failed. My cell phone is connected to the internet. Any suggestions? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Jane

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You can only check-in 72 hours from the date you embark on your cruise.

Someone in our FB group was able to check in today for our cruise Monday. I see it there but I think I'll wait until tomorrow to make sure we're withing the 72 hours. Not sure how strict it is and I'd hate have an issue.

5 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Surprising.  Did they actually check-in, and receive a QB code?  Or, did they just plug in their information and they will have to go back and 'submit it within the 72 hours before embarking on the cruise?

She got her qr code.  I tried it just to see how far I could get and I could do it but decided to wait.

Edited by RazorPokesHoney
  • Like 1

I went into my Arrive Can registration (via my laptop) and the site still says its 72 hours of boarding your cruise ship.  

It's all still fluid.  Maybe the Canadians are rethinking the 72 hours rule.

Entering your travel information into ArriveCAN

Your proof of vaccination

Your travel date

You can only complete your submission if you're planning to:

arrive in Canada within the next 72 hours

or board a cruise ship within the next 72 hours

• Like 1

Entering your travel information into ArriveCAN

Your proof of vaccinationYour travel date

You can only complete your submission if you're planning to:

• arrive in Canada within the next 72 hours
  • or board a cruise ship within the next 72 hours
  • Like 1

Also from the ArriveCan website:

If you're a foreign national travelling for discretionary purposes, you must show your ArriveCAN receipt to:

• the air carrier before boarding your flight to Canada
  • or to your cruise ship operator before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada
Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

Are you able to have an account for one cell phone and add a spouse or do they need their own user name and password?  (while using the same phone?  Hubby still has flip phone!) I created an account for myself but can't get any info or download any info as my sailing is end of May)

5 hours ago, RazorPokesHoney said:

I'm in no hurry, I'll wait until tomorrow. I just thought it was interesting and will be curious to see if she has any issues.

Just wanted you to know that I also was able to complete my ArriveCan more than 72 hours out.  It surprised me.  I wonder if they (Canadian Gov't) are finding it is more complicated to make people wait, rather than just complete it all at once, especially when the cruise date is firm.

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Just wanted you to know that I also was able to complete my ArriveCan more than 72 hours out.  It surprised me.  I wonder if they (Canadian Gov't) are finding it is more complicated to make people wait, rather than just complete it all at once, especially when the cruise date is firm.

Maybe, 4 days seems like ample time. I wonder if the 72 hours is linked to a getting a PCR test since  they previously did require you to test before entry. It really does seem a little silly though for cruises since the days in port are set and are sailing as a vaccinated cruise minus the exempted kiddos.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am confused for the reason to need ArriveCan.  People driving to Canada:  I am unaware that they need this.  Do Americans need this if they are entering Canada by car?  

From the ArriveCan website:

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

One of the exceptions is if you are in transit, not leaving the secure area of the airport. Which we are interested in as we fly SFO-Toronto-Copenhagen this summer.

• Thanks 1