About face on my Princess Perception

Kiran

18 hours ago, KKB said:

100% agree. 

Before Celebrity Eclass, RCCL Allure & Quantum were our fav cruises while RCCL Mariner was the worst by far. I blamed it on a poor Cruise Director. So best/worst of cruises in the same line.

(PS go try Celebrity Eclass--LOVED it. 2 weeks on Edge last summer & 1 week on Apex this spring. )

Wifi is MUCH better than even 10 years ago but never great. Keeps my off my phone! 

(I mostly get on to clean up email each day or message our kids)

NOW I have not tried the Medallion app much yet....appears to  be a work in process.

I could have used my phone for my room key on Celebrity but never bothered.

Guessing I will feel the same about  Medallion--we shall see.

The channel selection is always poor on ships so we gave up years ago. When I had severe motion sickness on the Caribbean Princess 10 years ago at least I could watch movies in bed all day.

Food--yep, Celebrity is best, hands down. 

But everyone else is GOOD. (well, we have done RCCL, DCL, NCL & Princess)

Like everywhere, sometimes an item or two is not to our liking. I just order something else.

Regarding keto, I don't get it--it is SUPER SUPER easy to follow keto on a cruise! Tons of proteins, veggies, cheese. None of the processed crap (that, yes, even I will buy at home). I do bring nuts or cheese crisps mostly to snack on the plane. I'm not sure what he was missing. Fruit is the only thing hard to find--berries are so perishable it's not surprising they choose heartier ones to serve.

Having cruised nearly 20 times in the last 20 years on those 5 lines we find them to be more alike than different. Not one was perfect (oh, the Edge came DARN close last summer...18 months of no cruising helped that some, but it was special for a lot of reasons. Captain Kate is fantastic), but even my least fav cruise was still wonderful. BUT I AM a cruising addict....6 booked in the next 15 months.

(I retire this month!!)

Husband is a bit of an extremist in his keto diet 

he picks out the onions and wont eat carrots or peas for instance

only fruit he has eaten in years are a few berries

i wish he was more moderate in his diet

After this cruise ends i continue the next day for a 6 day and an 8 day B2B on Celebrity Equinox

retired in December and last minute deals combined with long  planned cruises have added up to 7 cruises in 8 months !

from 4 days to 18 days in length

and on 4 different cruiselines

Never dreamed this would be possible for me  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

It sounds to me like a mass market cruise line will disappoint you. I suggest you try a more inclusive higher level cruise Seabourn or Azamara.

Champagne tastes on a beer budget describes my situation so my Matouk towel is from the factory outlet

i look forward to quality food on a cruise so much precisely because we so seldom eat out at home

i can count on going out to eat 3 times a year and getting takeout once a year as eating out/takeout for Birthday celebrations only

pizza is almost always store bought

trader joes has some great fancy pizzas for great prices if you enjoy brie and tomato

i enjoyed my two carnival cruises and would go on them again but obviously for different qualities than the food such as the joie de vive onboard

4 hours ago, Kiran said:

I dont eat peas or carrots either, (don't remember seeing those much ALTHOUGH have not sailed Princess in 10 years!). I do enjoy a bit of cooked onions for flavor. 

I remember saying to DH I was mad that I had cheated by eating Smart Pop (popcorn) & watermelon.

He looked at me & said, "Think about what you just said. That was your CHEAT."

Point taken.

On vacation I try to stick with good choices but I'm on vacation so I roll with it. 

(And we take the stairs everywhere unless I'm in heels!)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kiran said:

After this cruise ends i continue the next day for a 6 day and an 8 day B2B on Celebrity Equinox

retired in December and last minute deals combined with long  planned cruises have added up to 7 cruises in 8 months !

from 4 days to 18 days in length

and on 4 different cruiselines

Never dreamed this would be possible for me  

I'm worried about what my husband will eat on upcoming cruise. He's much more moderate than yours.  He eats peas, carrots, onions, most fruits, except bananas and pineapple.  But all of the entrees in the MDR seem to feature rice, potatoes or pasta.  We may need to stick with the buffet. 

37 minutes ago, sewingmolly said:

I'm worried about what my husband will eat on upcoming cruise. He's much more moderate than yours.  He eats peas, carrots, onions, most fruits, except bananas and pineapple.  But all of the entrees in the MDR seem to feature rice, potatoes or pasta.  We may need to stick with the buffet. 

When you order in the MDR you just tell them no rice, pasta, or potatoes and they will leave those items off of the plate.

• Like 3

MDR always had shrimp cocktail

Salmon perfectly cooked

usually there are plain grilled chicken breast and often plain steak

can ask for extra plain vegetables

can request sauce on side

cheese offered for dessert

So we ate in MDR and then topped up in buffet 

littles dishes of olives

often plain meat such as roast beef or turkey

little glasses of raw veggies

and of grilled veggies

and of salsa/guac and sour cream for chips (not us) or fajita meat and veggies

Many delicious choices

• Like 3

Just now, sewingmolly said:

Very easy to ask for steamed veggies if you like them.   We did it on many occassions.  

• Like 1

I should have lost weight on my most recent cruise, but I didn't.  I request a low sodium diet and speak with the Assistant Manager (aka Head Waiter) almost every night for my meals the following day.

Fortunately, I was served entrees without sauces (or salt) and perfectly cooked.

Unfortunately, I must have seen the same vegetables (carrots/broccoli/cauliflower) every night.  They were perfectly cooked, but would have preferred a variety.  Small issue so did not pursue it.  I did have to ask for some starches.  Beef Stroganoff came with no noodles.  

No cheese on eggplant parmesan.  Soups were bland (by choice).  But I did order the escargot one night at the table...it was wonderful (salty etc).  

Berries were scarce on voyage that had a lot of sea days.  

I have found Princess to be very accommodating with regards to special diets.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:32 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

I should have lost weight on my most recent cruise, but I didn't.  I request a low sodium diet and speak with the Assistant Manager (aka Head Waiter) almost every night for my meals the following day.

Fortunately, I was served entrees without sauces (or salt) and perfectly cooked.

Unfortunately, I must have seen the same vegetables (carrots/broccoli/cauliflower) every night.  They were perfectly cooked, but would have preferred a variety.  Small issue so did not pursue it.  I did have to ask for some starches.  Beef Stroganoff came with no noodles.  

No cheese on eggplant parmesan.  Soups were bland (by choice).  But I did order the escargot one night at the table...it was wonderful (salty etc).  

Berries were scarce on voyage that had a lot of sea days.  

I have found Princess to be very accommodating with regards to special diets.  

Did you ask about a low sodium diet before you went or when you got onboard? What meals were you able to eat?

3 hours ago, rosevew said:

Did you ask about a low sodium diet before you went or when you got onboard? What meals were you able to eat?

After returning from my first few cruises with ankles the size of watermelons and higher than my normal (high) blood pressure, I realized that cruise meals were laden with salt.  I have requested, on my personalizer, a low sodium diet.  In my case, it is not a life threatening decision but one that allows me to continue cruising. 

Therefore, I "choose" which dishes to eat .... in moderation.  My can't live without include:

Black and Blue onion soup from the Crown Grill (will finish about half)

Eggplant Parmesan with the cheese (I have been served without the cheese)

Escargots

Caesar salad with "a little" parmesan cheese

I pre-order my soups and they are pretty bland.  Most of the time, I will pre-order my entire dinner.  I have had the Assistant Manager follow me to the Crown Grill to take my order.  

Most of my meals are served very plain.  The sauces are on the side.  The vegetables are very nicely done although I would prefer more of an assortment.  I actually like not having my meal swimming in gravy.  This has worked for me.  I rarely have had a bad meal.  Your dining room staff will work with your needs.  I do tend to stay away from the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I pre-order my soups and they are pretty bland.  Most of the time, I will pre-order my entire dinner.  I have had the Assistant Manager follow me to the Crown Grill to take my order.  

Most of my meals are served very plain.  The sauces are on the side.  The vegetables are very nicely done although I would prefer more of an assortment.  I actually like not having my meal swimming in gravy.  This has worked for me.  I rarely have had a bad meal.  Your dining room staff will work with your needs.  I do tend to stay away from the buffet.

Take some "No Salt" or "Mrs. Dash" with you for your next cruise. Adds a little flavor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Take some "No Salt" or "Mrs. Dash" with you for your next cruise. Adds a little flavor.

I'm fine.  I don't cook with salt at home.  I generally do not do substitutes of any kind (think diet sodas).  Usually, enhancements and replacements are worse for me.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:14 AM, sewingmolly said:

If you have any food allergies or restrictions, you need to speak with the head waiter - not the waiter. Tell them you have restrictions, and the head waiter will take your order the day before. With that advance notice, they can modify the entrees to satisfy your restrictions - he will give you your choices.

This can work even if you eat in a different dining room, since they will have your order associated with your name and cabin number. However, I believe it will work better if you eat in the same dining room every evening and speak with the same head waiter. After the first discussion, he will understand your requirements and work with you to find something that works.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, sewingmolly said:

You do know you do not have to eat everything on the plate and you can tell the waiter you do not want them on your plate.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:32 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

The no cheese on top of the eggplant parmesan was possibly due to the chef attempting to restrict the amount of sodium in the meal.

33 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The no cheese on top of the eggplant parmesan was possibly due to the chef attempting to restrict the amount of sodium in the meal.

Yes, that is the reason.  I know cheese has a significant amount of sodium...but it is so good!

• Like 1

Spa experience

:

years ago i talked to a massage therapist at a DCL spa open house

i told her i was looking for a deep tissue massage , a very strong massage

she said she did that type of massage

so i booked a session with her

well she was either fibbing or delusional

as i kept waiting for the deep tissue work to start

massage was over before any deep tissue

plus she tried to scold me into buying products

so i avoided spas ever since

Butvthis cruise 

i was planning and budgetting to do a  spa pass for the frou frou showers sauna etc

but i met Mimi giving out free 5 minute massage tester

that 5 minutes good enough for me to book an immediate masssage with her

that immediate massage goid enough to book 2 more sessions with her

so budget now so totally blown no chance of adding short Disney cruise in the Fall

talked to Jacques , spa manager about if pain management massage would be goid for my fibromyalgia

he told me it included healing potuons and poultices ( my wirds not his)

but i wasnt interested in that

i mentioned craniosacral and Jacques suggested Caleb and his theragun, a super charged massage gun for charley horse type spots

caleb so great i booked 3 more sessions

He does gentle stretches, gentle sliw breathing , hypnotic suggestion(slightly joking), 

gentle foam rolling and nuclear power theragun 

Guest speakers:

best previously was a comedy screenwriter with behind the scenes stories

after we heard his second lecture we attended all the rest as he was so interesting and entertaining

but this cruise i was blown away but an incredibly fabulous presenter on a subject that sounded tedious

the talk was on the history and development of telescopes

i was so reluctant to try it though several people and pisters said he was a great presenter

i did attend and at the end i wished i could give him a standing ovation

he has such a great presentation 

with enough basic detail to allow you to flatter yourself that you remember basic science info from decades past

but at a fast enough speed that you go from one incredible image to the next

and he pairs the science in with the personalities doing the science

So interesting for people persons also a la the books if Richard Feynman

making plans to see if more of my family can join the October Hawaiian cruise he is planning

On 5/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, sewingmolly said:

You can always ask for a plate of steamed vegetables in the MDR. What you'll get varies from day to day, but broccoli, carrots, squash and such are common. 

• Like 1

I am a veggie fan and never seem to get enough on a cruise ship so always ask server for a side order of whatever vegetables they have in kitchen (with a wedge of lemon)

Loving this thread and happy I didn't stop reading at the butter posts.   

At cafe today i saw a special dessert brought out for a passenger

it was something eggless as she couldnt eat eggs

Nice that Princess will go the extra distance so special diet needs arent left out always

will look into low sodium for my mom if she would wish it and in case high sodium is tiring her by burdening her heart with retained water

just never thought of asking about low sodium options for her

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 7:12 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

After returning from my first few cruises with ankles the size of watermelons and higher than my normal (high) blood pressure, I realized that cruise meals were laden with salt.  I have requested, on my personalizer, a low sodium diet.  In my case, it is not a life threatening decision but one that allows me to continue cruising. 

Therefore, I "choose" which dishes to eat .... in moderation.  My can't live without include:

Black and Blue onion soup from the Crown Grill (will finish about half)

Eggplant Parmesan with the cheese (I have been served without the cheese)

Escargots

Caesar salad with "a little" parmesan cheese

I can't see any option for low sodium on the personaliser nor the medallion app?