Single cruiser pricing

It looks like for the pacific coastal on sept 25th a single person is being charged almost as much as a couple. (I mean no savings on tax) Note i am not talking about a solo room, just booking as a single person. Is this common? This sucks.

Solo only pays 1 tax and fees. They are right. Look at my jan 30th radiance. If I mock book for 2, they show the lowest price of $550 gty inside. Same for balconys ..gty. if I mock book for 1 person, I dont see the gty prices, I see a higher starting price. Solo often cant book a gty price without a fake person tbd. 

Hello,

If you are being, or are about to be, charged with two lots of Port Fees & Taxes (and possibly gratuities) then that is a mistake.

What I was told by someone very high-up in the UK office is that there is no grand on-line formula that works out the various permutations of prices - they are all individually worked-out and input manually. This is something that I can both disbelieve and believe at the same time!

Something I have discovered is that guarantee cabins may not show as available on-line but are available to TAs to book.

Regards,

Cublet

12 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Yes, it's at 340 points when the supplement is only 50% ie pay 75% of a couple's rate.

Regards,

Cublet

To be clearer, its 50% of the 2nd fare. Which comes to 25% off total. 

21 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks, i understand that but usually due to a savings on one less tax you are paying less. This doesn’t seem to be the case here but maybe i’m confused about something.

Have to remember in usual times Royal Books at average of 108% plus Capacity. They try to fill all Cabins and prefer 2 or more per Cabin. That said rare but at times can be cheaper for 2 in a Cabin then one or Single Rate will pop up close to Sailing with Rate at 50% of what 2 would pay. There is no set Rate for every Sailing/Ship and can change often

Edited by ONECRUISER

Hello,

Given our knowledge of Royal's IT anything is possible. I have actually seen a 'Single Special' (me) costing more than a couple. However, when some benefits, eg OBC, are pro-rated, the benefit of the single special is not as great as first appears.

Regards,

Cublet

The cruise lines are developing policy based on the last centuries demographics.  The richest countries are getting older and the majority of the older population is female.  There is a significant number of older women, who are quite affluent and love to travel.   I suspect that would be a surprise to the marketing and pricing folks at most cruise lines.  I understand the current marketing model assumes two people in a cabin and tries to get as many people on a boat as possible.    I question the current assumption that a crowded ship is long-term more profitable.  It certainly requires more staff, increases the wear on furnishings and structure, is less safe in emergencies, and results in crowded pools, buffets, etc.  While that may make sense for the some lines, I wonder if there isn't a niche for the cruise lines that cater to an older clientele to develop a pricing scheme based on one person in a room.  Not talking about a "singles" cruise.  Talking about passenger population that better reflects the demographic mix of the older population in the first-world countries. 

4 minutes ago, currach said:

The cruise lines are developing policy based on the last centuries demographics.  The richest countries are getting older and the majority of the older population is female.  There is a significant number of older women, who are quite affluent and love to travel.   I suspect that would be a surprise to the marketing and pricing folks at most cruise lines.  I understand the current marketing model assumes two people in a cabin and tries to get as many people on a boat as possible.    I question the current assumption that a crowded ship is long-term more profitable.  It certainly requires more staff, increases the wear on furnishings and structure, is less safe in emergencies, and results in crowded pools, buffets, etc.  While that may make sense for the some lines, I wonder if there isn't a niche for the cruise lines that cater to an older clientele to develop a pricing scheme based on one person in a room.  Not talking about a "singles" cruise.  Talking about passenger population that better reflects the demographic mix of the older population in the first-world countries. 

That all maybe be true, but Royal Caribbean’s niche is building huge, amazing ships that have features that often appeal to active young people (like flowriders and zip lines and so forth).  Certainly, older passengers, male and female, solo, couples, multigenerational are all welcome, but Royal Caribbean is not the cruise line set to enter the niche you describe.  Some other company needs to cover the niche you envision.

The cruiselines have made a slight bow toward changing demographics with studio cabins for solos.