Looking for Oceania Experienced Opinion

REDSTRIPETYPE

On 5/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, edgee said:

We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM.

I know I should know this from our one previous O cruise - but do I correctly infer from this statement that shorts & casual shoes are OK in the GDR for breakfast and lunch?

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I know I should know this from our one previous O cruise - but do I correctly infer from this statement that shorts & casual shoes are OK in the GDR for breakfast and lunch?

Yes they are OK at breakfast and lunch. 

2 hours ago, Harters said:

yes  just no  swimwear 

On 5/3/2022 at 9:18 AM, edgee said:

In terms of dining dress code, here is the language. 

"Recommended on board clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM. "

Playing the devil's advocate, with that wording, perhaps the response should be -  " I'm on my vacation and I've heard your request.   Please show me to my table" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see baseball caps not allowed, no mention of Truckers caps, which are even tackier. Then you got your flat caps, Newsboy caps, and maybe even Andy Cap. From there you can go on to hats, such an incomplete list. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ORV said:

I see baseball caps not allowed, no mention of Truckers caps, which are even tackier. Then you got your flat caps, Newsboy caps, and maybe even Andy Cap. From there you can go on to hats, such an incomplete list. 

I do not think that any men's hats are allowed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

I do not think that any men's hats are allowed. 

While I agree with you in principle that is not what the dress code states at all. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 5:53 AM, ToxM said:

I saw shorts after 6 in the Terrace on Sirena (a transatlantic, where I think things were more relaxed anyway) and on Marina last week (which was port intensive). 

Personally I don’t have a problem with longish smart shorts there. I think I might raise an eyebrow in the GDR or a speciality. 

Wow, does it really hurt to wear long pants for dinner?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, navelgunner said:

Playing the devil's advocate, with that wording, perhaps the response should be -  " I'm on my vacation and I've heard your request.   Please show me to my table" 

please sail on Carnival

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

please sail on Carnival

You obviously missed my sarcasm.  The wording from O’s web site says “Recommended” and “Request”.  Neither of these terms imply a mandatory rule.   If the policy is to exclude specific items of wear, then the policy should say “wearing of these items are prohibited in the restaurants after 6pm:”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

Wow, does it really hurt to wear long pants for dinner?

59 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

please sail on Carnival

I suggest you read the dress code published in Currents the next time you're on Oceania. On my cruises it has always stated that shorts are permitted in the Terrace Cafe at dinner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navelgunner said:

You obviously missed my sarcasm.  The wording from O’s web site says “Recommended” and “Request”.  Neither of these terms imply a mandatory rule.   If the policy is to exclude specific items of wear, then the policy should say “wearing of these items are prohibited in the restaurants after 6pm:”

Picking apart the semantics like this is something a kid does when he's caught doing something he was told not to do.     You know exactly what is intended.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I suggest you read the dress code published in Currents the next time you're on Oceania. On my cruises it has always stated that shorts are permitted in the Terrace Cafe at dinner.

where exactly does it say that? I can only find what was written and quoted above. Anyway,  really...such a sacrifice to wear long pants for dinner? 

21 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

where exactly does it say that? I can only find what was written and quoted above. Anyway,  really...such a sacrifice to wear long pants for dinner? 

As I said it's in the Currents.

Here's an example . Look under "Dress Code" on the left hand page:

IMG_6002.JPG.be3c86e5656709a3eda0cda72e1

You don't make the rules  and you have no right to criticize anyone who is following them. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi, I’m a first time Oceania cruiser. I see in the photo that it says no sandals in the dining room. Is this just referring to sports sandals or does it also include ladies dressy sandals? I’m happy to follow the dress code, I just want to make sure I understand it correctly. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Traveller94 said:

Hi, I’m a first time Oceania cruiser. I see in the photo that it says no sandals in the dining room. Is this just referring to sports sandals or does it also include ladies dressy sandals? I’m happy to follow the dress code, I just want to make sure I understand it correctly. Thanks.

Yes, dressy sandals are fine. The rule really means no flip flops and the like. 

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

As I said it's in the Currents.

Here's an example . Look under "Dress Code" on the left hand page:

IMG_6002.JPG.be3c86e5656709a3eda0cda72e1

You don't make the rules  and you have no right to criticize anyone who is following them. 

I never said i made the rules. You are looking at something different than what is on the website and you are free to follow that.  Oceania should make sure they send the same exact message no matter whether it is on ship or online. My point is/was that it should not be a big deal to wear long pants, no matter what the venue is. I never specifically picked out the Terrace, but that may have been lost. Point taken...and i never criticize for following the rules. Quite the contrary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I never said i made the rules. You are looking at something different than what is on the website and you are free to follow that.  Oceania should make sure they send the same exact message no matter whether it is on ship or online. My point is/was that it should not be a big deal to wear long pants, no matter what the venue is. I never specifically picked out the Terrace, but that may have been lost. Point taken...and i never criticize for following the rules. Quite the contrary.

What's published onboard in Currents takes precedence over what the website says. 

Your first use of "Wow, does it really hurt to wear long pants for dinner?" came in direct response to a post about shorts being worn in the Terrace so you certainly did pick out the Terrace.

Your snarky comments clearly project an air of "I have the say over what's right or wrong".

Don't tell me or anyone else what is or isn't a big deal. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

What's published onboard in Currents takes precedence over what the website says. 

Your first use of "Wow, does it really hurt to wear long pants for dinner?" came in direct response to a post about shorts being worn in the Terrace so you certainly did pick out the Terrace.

Your snarky comments clearly project an air of "I have the say over what's right or wrong".

Don't tell me or anyone else what is or isn't a big deal. 

so you consider it a big deal to wear long pants? I could also say that your tone is very self-righteous... 

31 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

so you consider it a big deal to wear long pants? I could also say that your tone is very self-righteous... 

I didn't say that, and sometimes I wear long pants to the Terrace Cafe, but on a day when I've spent a long day touring ashore in hot weather I prefer to wear shorts.

You seem to be having difficulty understanding the concept of someone exercising a permissible choice under the dress code versus conforming with your personal wishes. It's attitudes like yours that have caused us to never share a table with someone we don't know in the GDR or a specialty restaurant. On our first Oceania cruise we were seated in the GDR with another couple and the man, wearing a sport coat and tie, spent the entire time mumbling under his breath about people who didn't wear a coat and tie...in other words me...and I was in full compliance with the dress code wearing khakis and a button down shirt, which is my normal dinner attire on Oceania.

Rage on if you wish, but i have nothing further to say to you on this topic.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I didn't say that, and sometimes I wear long pants to the Terrace Cafe, but on a day when I've spent a long day touring ashore in hot weather I prefer to wear shorts.

You seem to be having difficulty understanding the concept of someone exercising a permissible choice under the dress code versus conforming with your personal wishes. It's attitudes like yours that have caused us to never share a table with someone we don't know in the GDR or a specialty restaurant. On our first Oceania cruise we were seated in the GDR with another couple and the man, wearing a sport coat and tie, spent the entire time mumbling under his breath about people who didn't wear a coat and tie...in other words me...and I was in full compliance with the dress code wearing khakis and a button down shirt, which is my normal dinner attire on Oceania.

Rage on if you wish, but i have nothing further to say to you on this topic.

Do not put words in my mouth or say that I have said things, which I have not. i simply believe in following the rules/guidelines. I also think it's absurd to act as though wearing long pants in the evening to dine (no matter where, just in general) is a big deal.You have totally misunderstood my comments

On 5/3/2022 at 4:41 AM, ORV said:

Hold you point me to the Oceania statement that says no shorts suggested after 6. 

I see that someone else has mentioned it.  I will reiterate that shorts are allowed in the Terrace at dinner as stated in Currents on our recent cruise (May 3rd).

So, clearly, they are allowed after 6pm.   Not sure where others are getting their information.   

We sail Oceania for many reasons, one being we that prefer the (country club) casual attire aspect to cocktail dresses and coats and ties.  If following the more casual atmosphere and dress codes provided by Oceania upsets someone, perhaps they would enjoy a line that requires formal wear in the evenings. 

Edited by LNielsen
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, LNielsen said:

I see that someone else has mentioned it.  I will reiterate that shorts are allowed in the Terrace at dinner as stated in Currents on our recent cruise (May 3rd).

So, clearly, they are allowed after 6pm.   Not sure where others are getting their information.   

We sail Oceania for many reasons, one being we that prefer the (country club) casual attire aspect to cocktail dresses and coats and ties.  If following the more casual atmosphere and dress codes provided by Oceania upsets someone, perhaps they would enjoy a line that requires formal wear in the evenings. 

Cunard is your only choice. Tried to sail on them twice but was cancelled due to Covid. Someday, maybe. Right now trying Oceana.