Mardi Gras Cruise terminal

jolyroger

Those who have sailed out of Port Canaveral how insane is the wait in the terminal? Been watching videos and WOW looks quite busy! I know its a huge ship which equals alot of people. But curious how quickly it moves along. Also does it make that much of a difference if we can get an earlier check in or does it not really matter. Thanks for any info!

• Like 1

Our experience was not bad.

We were on Mardi Gras in August and April, and both times we had an early arrival appointment (around 10:30 I think) and A01 boarding group (which boards first after the passengers in suites).  We quickly got through the check-in process with no waiting at all, then up to the boarding area waiting room.

For a new terminal, the sound system is terrible (I could not figure out the announcements either time).  But you can figure out what is going on by watching.  They did not announce that they were boarding the passengers in suites, but instead went to their waiting area and gathered them up.  As soon as you see that happen, they will start calling boarding groups.  We found a quiet corner away from the crowd to wait and watch.  Our cruise in April was sold out, so the waiting area was pretty crowded, but they would not let people stand and gather near the boarding area at all.  When that would happen, they would halt the process until people sat back down (which I thought was appropriate).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

We were on Mardi Gras in August and April, and both times we had an early arrival appointment (around 10:30 I think) and A01 boarding group (which boards first after the passengers in suites).  We quickly got through the check-in process with no waiting at all, then up to the boarding area waiting room.

For a new terminal, the sound system is terrible (I could not figure out the announcements either time).  But you can figure out what is going on by watching.  They did not announce that they were boarding the passengers in suites, but instead went to their waiting area and gathered them up.  As soon as you see that happen, they will start calling boarding groups.  We found a quiet corner away from the crowd to wait and watch.  Our cruise in April was sold out, so the waiting area was pretty crowded, but they would not let people stand and gather near the boarding area at all.  When that would happen, they would halt the process until people sat back down (which I thought was appropriate).  

Well this is a little encouraging. We're going in July So I'm sure its going to be full as well. I guess we shall see, lol

I went on the Mardi Gras in February and had the 10 to 10:30 check-in time and boarding group A02.  I arrived at 9:30.  There was a short line in the 10 to 10:30 area upstairs.  However, since I reached platinum that cruise I was able to go through the priority line.  I would definitely try to get the earliest check-in time, even if I couldn't go through priority, and know that people will start lining up at least 1/2 hour before that check-in time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

Thank you for sharing. We are staying in a Suite with a 10-10:30am check-in. We'll now plan to get there at 9:30 based on your experience. Did you happen to use Verify either time? We have ours ready to go for our sailing this Saturday. I'm hoping it makes a difference, at least with how long it takes to go through the check-in desk. 

1 hour ago, noleguy84 said:

Did you happen to use Verify either time?

We actually did not (it wasn't available last August, and I didn't realize it was available in April or I would have) but it probably only took an extra minute or two.  Check-in was really quick; the worst was waiting in the crowded boarding area waiting room (I was surprised to see so many people there so early) but since you are in a suite, you will have your own spacious waiting area, and then you will board first.  

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Mardi Gras. We had a 12:30 check in time and got there about 12. They let us join the line and honestly it looked worse than it was. From the time we got to the garage to the ship was 30 minutes. The big waste of time is people who do not have their documents out and ready.  We used the Verifly app and it made things faster. They look at your ready to sail page and use the picture you upload for your SandS card. The lines do look crazy but they move, just have your stuff out and ready to go once you get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

It sounds like wareaglefan444 and I might have been on the same cruise... line started at the bottom of the ramp and went past the garage even though it was serpentine.

it sounds like we had the same experience. I was on the October 2 cruise

• Like 1

Now my other question, or possibly 2.. This cruise we'll be turning platinum . Can hubby and I go in that line at the terminal as well? Also cruising with our kids who will still be gold. Can they come with us in the Platinum line ? 

We cruised the end of November and had a 10:30 boarding so we arrived just 10 minutes early and went right in.  I don’t even remember the terminal because everything happened so fast.  

1 hour ago, jolyroger said:

This cruise we'll be turning platinum . Can hubby and I go in that line at the terminal as well? Also cruising with our kids who will still be gold. Can they come with us in the Platinum line ? 

In our experience - on the cruise in which we turned platinum, the upper right corner of our boarding pass had "Platinum" on it, so we were able to use that Platinum/Diamond line.

In regard to your other question, we frequently travel with people who are not Platinum, and we have either had to join the regular line with them, or meet them on the ship.  I have seen people successfully argue with staff until they finally get a person (or two) into the platinum line with them, but I think that is against their policy, so I don't try.  Unless they are in the same room with you - then it's fine.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, jolyroger said:

Those who have sailed out of Port Canaveral how insane is the wait in the terminal? Been watching videos and WOW looks quite busy! I know its a huge ship which equals alot of people. But curious how quickly it moves along. Also does it make that much of a difference if we can get an earlier check in or does it not really matter. Thanks for any info!

Actually it's not bad at all, we were pleasantly surprised at how well it all worked last month. We had somewhere between 5500 and 5900 on our sailing (we heard both numbers announced during the cruise). We had a 10:30am arrival time and drove to Port Canaveral where there was a small traffic backup entering the parking garage. Inside the staff directed us to where I could drop off the luggage, parking fees were collected when I entered the main parking area. It was around $130 for the week.

Inside the terminal there were dozens of check in stations. We were through check in and at the waiting area in about 10 minutes, getting to that area around 10:35am and we had boarding group B7 or B8. Yep, that area was crowded because boarding had not started yet, but we had plenty of seating and just relaxed while we waited for the expected 11am start of boarding.

At 11am they called the first boarding group. At 11:22am we were walking onto the ship. It was that fast. We were pleasantly surprised by how well that went with that large of a ship and sailing over double occupancy. Don't worry about the big crowds you're seeing, it moves through quickly once the boarding starts. 

Edited by creativegenius
  • Like 1

While we are talking about the Mardi Gras does anyone have suggestions for a good Park, Stay, Cruise  option Hotel close to the Terminal? I know it's probably in a forum but I wanted very recent and possibly first hand knowledge/recommendations.   

3 hours ago, creativegenius said:

Actually it's not bad at all, we were pleasantly surprised at how well it all worked last month. We had somewhere between 5500 and 5900 on our sailing (we heard both numbers announced during the cruise). We had a 10:30am arrival time and drove to Port Canaveral where there was a small traffic backup entering the parking garage. Inside the staff directed us to where I could drop off the luggage, parking fees were collected when I entered the main parking area. It was around $130 for the week.

Do you know if you are required to drop off your luggage before entering the garage, or if DH and I can just park and then bring our luggage with us? We typically only have one carry-on sized bag each and don't like leaving with them with the porters. 

We have sailed twice, neither time at capacity. The first time we were not Platinum and the second time we were. Our check in times were close and early on both, about an hour apart. We actually boarded faster on the non Platinum one but it was only the 4th cruise on MG and we never sat down, straight from the security machines to the ship.

The second one was in January and we waited in the waiting area about 30 minutes beyond security. Suite passengers were still coming out of their area when we were called. We were onboard by 11 both times but again, not near capacity. More like 60% on the first one, 75% the second one.

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Do you know if you are required to drop off your luggage before entering the garage, or if DH and I can just park and then bring our luggage with us? We typically only have one carry-on sized bag each and don't like leaving with them with the porters. 

Nope, not required at all, you can easily roll your luggage to the elevator and then across the ramp to the terminal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jolyroger said:

Now my other question, or possibly 2.. This cruise we'll be turning platinum . Can hubby and I go in that line at the terminal as well? Also cruising with our kids who will still be gold. Can they come with us in the Platinum line ? 

You and hubby can go in the platinum line if there is one.  Kids are still gold, no free upgrade.  You can get their Big Chicken sandwiches for them for lunch.

Sailed out of the terminal twice in April (Liberty uses the same terminal). Check-in times were 11:30-12 (Mardi Gras) & 10-10:30 (Liberty). For Mardi Gras, we were running behind & didn't arrive to the parking garage until about 11:40. Long line at check-in but it moved fast & we were onboard in no time.

For Liberty, we arrived at about 9am. Some people started lining up outside of the terminal but no point in doing that since the previous cruisers were still debarking. We just sat in the car until a few minutes after 10. No line at check-in. We sat in the waiting area until about 11am when boarding started