Is This Usual for Silversea?

hamasgirl

My DH and I are booked on Silversea for a cruise departing Copenhagen on May 22.  We have paid for a 1 night pre-cruise hotel through Silversea and have booked our flights through SS.  As of today (May 5) we have no idea what hotel we are staying in Copenhagen.  We have not received any luggage tags or any of the normal pre-cruise 'stuff' that we are used to with other lines.  I have put our TA on the hunt to find out what is going on.  Since we have not cruised with SS before this I am wondering if this is normal for how SS handles cruises?  Am I worried for no reason or is something going on with SS?  I am looking for guidance from those who are regular SS cruisers on this board.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

I would have the TA check on this.  What if you wanted to book a spa treatment or contact the concierge for dinner reservations?  This seems unusual and not unreasonable to know what hotel you’re in.  BTW, many cruiselines are not sending hard copies, just emailed documents and luggage tags seem to be given when boarding.

They have not mailed out luggage tags since before COVID. Actually, nothing will be coming via US MAIL......You can get luggage tags at the hotel since you are staying at a SS property and if they are not available at that point, you will definitely be able to get the tags pier side.

You should be receiving your final cruise ticket via EMAIL. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hamasgirl said:

…is normal for how SS handles cruises?  Am I worried for no reason or is something going on with SS?

Yes, this is normal.  And based on what SS has communicated, yes, you are worried for no reason as SS holds final documents until approximately 2-weeks prior to embarkation now. It’s a shame your TA didn’t know this and caused you undo concern.

11 minutes ago, hamasgirl said:

Thanks all for your help!  I will stop worrying and assume that all will be well.  We'll see what my TA finds out.

Yes, stop the worrying—-concentrate on having a great cruise—-enjoy the time doing something your love.

Sorry if this is too obvious but I hope you're connected via My Silversea. There you should be able to see the hotel; go to the "my activities" tab if the hotel doesn't show up in your booking details.

A week ago, Silversea sent this email (your TA should have received it on your behalf if you didn't get it directly:

Dear Esteemed Guest,

Thank you for choosing to travel with Silversea Cruises. 

We are writing today to notify you of a change in the timing of our eDocs (cruise ticket) distribution. Given the rapidly evolving entry protocols and testing requirements of countries around the world, you will now receive your eDocs and pre-cruise information 15 days prior (previously 30 days prior) to your scheduled sailing date. This will allow us to proactively communicate the most current updates prior to your travels. If there are additional changes that occur between days 15 and your sailing date, we will send you and your travel advisor an email communication together with updated eDocs. We will also post the latest information on our website as updates occur.

We understand that this timing is very tight, but believe this is the best timeline to ensure your embarkation goes smoothly.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a voyage of enriching discovery and authentic beauty.

Kind regards,

Barbara Muckermann
Chief Commercial Officer

Thanks Fauxnom.  Yes I have been checking MySilversea regularly which still shows SS Grande Hotel as my pre-cruise hotel.  It has shown that since I booked the cruise in 2021.  I have tried to locate any information on the SS website prior to asking this question.  I appreciate the email you attached from Barbara Muckerman...which answers my question.

I knew that I could count on the CC folks to help me out!

• Like 2

Before you relax completely, we received the same email from Barbara Muckerman.  Our cruise departs in 12 days, we have not received tags, e-tickets or anything else since receiving the Muckerman email saying those things would be sent 15 days before the cruise, and we still do not know the name of the Silversea hotel in Reykjavik where we will be staying at the end of our cruise.

3 hours ago, mwhm said:

Before you relax completely, we received the same email from Barbara Muckerman.  Our cruise departs in 12 days, we have not received tags, e-tickets or anything else since receiving the Muckerman email saying those things would be sent 15 days before the cruise, and we still do not know the name of the Silversea hotel in Reykjavik where we will be staying at the end of our cruise.

When I set up my cruise I did it through a Silversea rep, who promptly has responded to emails with questions.

Can you contact your representative?

• 1 month later...

It's "normal" in the sense that it's the way things are at the moment.  It's still something of a mess.  I don't recall when we were informed of our post-cruise Rejkyavik hotel, but it wasn't long before we sailed, and our pre-cruise hotel wasn't much sooner.

The good news is that we were very happy with both hotels.  I would expect you will be taken care of, but I also agree to have your TA looking into it.

On our last SS cruise our 'consultant' was next to useless.

Frequently ignored emails.

Failed to send 'joining instructions' ...tickets yes, boarding times no!

Post cruise she seemed not have the faintest idea when we made enquiries regarding another cruise ... 

UK corporate seemed to have lost the plot.

Should you be concerned? Debatable but keep chasing them ... either personally or via a TA.

We also booked through Silversea, including air, and had the same experience where the "consultant" pretty much evaporated after we made final payment.  There was some annoying stuff with an outbound flight that didn't exist, but that got sorted out.  Then while we were on the cruise, one of our return flights was canceled with a week's notice.   Silversea Air promptly rebooked --- on the same flight under a code share flight number.  The consultant didn't respond when I pointed that out.  Ha.  Fortunately KLM was on it and booked us on new flights the next day.

Our return flight from our cruise in august was cancelled.  I discovered this by chance.  We are rebooked on the same flight the following day.  My TA has been chasing SS air for four weeks with no response.  I don’t actually mind the overnight in London but who is responsible for the hotel costs?  My.Silversea still shows the original itinerary.  

On 6/16/2022 at 7:10 PM, forgap said:

Our return flight from our cruise in august was cancelled.  I discovered this by chance.  We are rebooked on the same flight the following day.  My TA has been chasing SS air for four weeks with no response.  I don’t actually mind the overnight in London but who is responsible for the hotel costs?  My.Silversea still shows the original itinerary.  

I don't know what's going on these days, but Silversea paid for the hotel when something similar happened to us (Athens, not London).  They also threw in a tour.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DCPIV said:

but Silversea paid for the hotel when something similar happened to us (Athens, not London).  They also threw in a tour.

Good that SS did that for you! I’ve read about lots of messes with SS air this year. We’ve got nothing with them booked right now, but I’ll book my own air (as I usually do anyway).