B2B procedures for Mediterranean Cruise?

smixsell

That’s the big question now when it comes to upcoming European B2B cruises. We’re booked on a B3B sold as one 21 day cruise RT Barcelona in July on the Regal. Right now, all we know is Princess will be providing complementary antigen tests once we arrive at the ship due to the current EU 24 hour negative test requirement prior to boarding a cruise ship.

There are no immigration procedures like there are at U.S. ports. From an immigration prospective turn around day is treated just like any other port day.

As for covid procedures this is what Princess mentions in their FAQ's under sailings from Europe.

Will I be able to book multiple cruises, back-to-back?

Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage and receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test. They will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. Guests, their family members, travel companions or other close contacts who are suspected of having COVID-19, are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

We will closely monitor guidance from government and health authorities and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't hold my breath about these policies. Look what they just did for the Alaskan cruises. Promised disembarkation tests for those who needed them to travel home and at the last minute claimed they wouldn't due to circumstances beyond their control. Of course they never say just what those circumstances are...

Alaskan cruiser are now scrambling to book day of disembarkation tests at local facilities that will now be overwhelmed or, they are purchasing proctored telehealth tests they can take the day before.

Ken, the current FAQ's for European cruises state that the test at the ship are now $60 pp.  At one point they were $100, then they were free and now $60. 

We board the Regal on Oct 26th, in Civitavecchia for 37 days, who knows what the protocols will be by then???

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Ken, the current FAQ's for European cruises state that the test at the ship are now $60 pp.  At one point they were $100, then they were free and now $60. 

We board the Regal on Oct 26th, in Civitavecchia for 37 days, who knows what the protocols will be by then???

I take it you’re referring to this FAQ:

Based on current European Union Healthy Gateways (EUHG) guidelines, to board the ship, all guests ages five years and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll communicate any updates as they become available.

When possible we recommend guests take a medically-observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. We understand that this may not be possible based on your travel plans. For fully vaccinated guests, we will offer antigen testing at the terminal that meets our requirements. For those that wish to take advantage of this convenience, a fee of $60 USD per person will apply as a stateroom folio charge to cover our internal costs.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the email with me on the ship, but before we left on the PC cruise we’re currently on, Princess sent us an email saying that they will be providing complimentary antigen tests at the pier because of the current EU 24 hour requirement which no one flying from the US as well as many other distant countries can meet. But, your right, only time will tell. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I take it you’re referring to this FAQ:

Based on current European Union Healthy Gateways (EUHG) guidelines, to board the ship, all guests ages five years and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll communicate any updates as they become available.

When possible we recommend guests take a medically-observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. We understand that this may not be possible based on your travel plans. For fully vaccinated guests, we will offer antigen testing at the terminal that meets our requirements. For those that wish to take advantage of this convenience, a fee of $60 USD per person will apply as a stateroom folio charge to cover our internal costs.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the email with me on the ship, but before we left on the PC cruise we’re currently on, Princess sent us an email saying that they will be providing complimentary antigen tests at the pier because of the current EU 24 hour requirement which no one flying from the US as well as many other distant countries can meet. But, your right, only time will tell. 

Correction, now that I have had my first cup of coffee 😁: I should have said Spain currently requires 24 hour test results before boarding a ship. I have no idea what the EU in general requires. But hopefully by July both the US and any applicable country folks fly from/to won’t require a test to enter their country. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

That’s the big question now when it comes to upcoming European B2B cruises. We’re booked on a B3B sold as one 21 day cruise RT Barcelona in July on the Regal. Right now, all we know is Princess will be providing complementary antigen tests once we arrive at the ship due to the current EU 24 hour negative test requirement prior to boarding a cruise ship.

Hello. We are booked on the same 21 night, single booking Itinerary from Barcelona leaving on August 13th. We are receiving conflicting information on the Testing requirements between each leg (I.e Barcelona - Rome, Rome-Athens, Athens-Barcelona) , As was indicated in the FAQ, Princess will test you at the end of each leg to determine if you can continue to the next. However, we spoke to a Princess representative, and they indicated that testing would not be required between legs, as this would be treated as a single booking. We are both fully vaccinated and boosted. Since final payment for this cruise is due shortly, we are extremely concerned about being denied re-boarding and getting stuck in either Rome or Athens for quarantine, and having to fend for ourselves to get home. Just need to know what the actual policy is so that we can weigh the risks. Is there anyone who has done this or similar itineraries and had to test in between legs? What was your experience?

Thank you.

JY.

• Like 1

Hello, this is my understanding from the latest update May 7? For EU departures you can now have test up to 3 days before sailing to board, except Athens which still requires 1 day or which Princess will test at port for free, all others YOU are responsible for getting testing for pre boarding and if any EU countries require for entry which most have dropped.

Princess along with many other cruise lines are NOT doing B2B testing anymore, as long as you have not tested positive(self test or exhibit symptoms which then requested to test), you are allowed to continue on with your next segment unless there are obvious reasons for you not to.

so as of today May 9, 2022, you are responsible for testing up to 3 days in advance of boarding and NO B2B testing is being done on ships, except for Athens which require 1 day prior testing which Princess will do at the port at no coat to passenger.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Hello, this is my understanding from the latest update May 7? For EU departures you can now have test up to 3 days before sailing to board, except Athens which still requires 1 day or which Princess will test at port for free, all others YOU are responsible for getting testing for pre boarding and if any EU countries require for entry which most have dropped.

Princess along with many other cruise lines are NOT doing B2B testing anymore, as long as you have not tested positive(self test or exhibit symptoms which then requested to test), you are allowed to continue on with your next segment unless there are obvious reasons for you not to.

so as of today May 9, 2022, you are responsible for testing up to 3 days in advance of boarding and NO B2B testing is being done on ships, except for Athens which require 1 day prior testing which Princess will do at the port at no coat to passenger.

This is great news!! You don’t by chance have link to where this has been actually documented by Princess do you. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is great news!! You don’t by chance have link to where this has been actually documented by Princess do you. 

Yes, at the Princess.com homepage, click health protocols, then Europe departures, then scroll down to Do I need a test pre boarding. I believe this was updated April 7, to reflect all EU ports except Athens, you can now test 3 days pre boarding, and if you cannot get test, you can pay $60 USD to get tested at port. Athens they will test for free. It was reported on other threads no more B2B testing, I know for sure North American departures on the Discovery as friends were not tested on their recent B2B in April.

Hope this answers your question regarding link?

14 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Yes, at the Princess.com homepage, click health protocols, then Europe departures, then scroll down to Do I need a test pre boarding. I believe this was updated April 7, to reflect all EU ports except Athens, you can now test 3 days pre boarding, and if you cannot get test, you can pay $60 USD to get tested at port. Athens they will test for free. It was reported on other threads no more B2B testing, I know for sure North American departures on the Discovery as friends were not tested on their recent B2B in April.

Hope this answers your question regarding link?

I’ve seen the latest FAQ. Actually it was this portion I was curious about, remembering this thread is regarding Med cruises. 

Princess along with many other cruise lines are NOT doing B2B testing anymore, as long as you have not tested positive(self test or exhibit symptoms which then requested to test), you are allowed to continue on with your next segment unless there are obvious reasons for you not to.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

I just checked both cruises in the U.S. and European cruises and the below statement still appears for both in the Princess FAQ's.  If they did not test b2b's recently on the Discovery that appears NOT to be company policy?

Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage and receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test. They will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. Guests, their family members, travel companions or other close contacts who are suspected of having COVID-19, are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

We will closely monitor guidance from government and health authorities and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

1 minute ago, LACruiser88 said:

I just checked both cruises in the U.S. and European cruises and the below statement still appears for both in the Princess FAQ's.  If they did not test b2b's recently on the Discovery that appears NOT to be company policy?

I’ve always wondered how long that particular FAQ response has been on the website. But, be that as it may, we are not technically on a B3B, but rather a 21 day cruise booked as one continuous cruise. We can’t help it if they want to embark/disembark passengers ever 7 days. Heck, we were on a 12 day UK circumnavigation cruise a few years ago that took on as well as disembarked passengers in Havre as well as Dublin along with Southampton where we got on.

Does that mean we would have to test at every “transition” port? So in that sense, this FAQ response doesn’t apply IMHO, which of course has absolutely no standing when it comes to decisions Princess makes. 😁

• Haha 3

I agree, if you book a 21 day cruise that happens to have shorter segments, you did not book a b2b or b3b.  And, you should not be affected by b2b testing.

I would love to hear if anyone here has experienced this recently.  

2 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I agree, if you book a 21 day cruise that happens to have shorter segments, you did not book a b2b or b3b.  And, you should not be affected by b2b testing.

Us too! 😂 But my guess is since RCI and Celebrity just initiated their new policy in the last few days, chances are slim anyone on a Princess cruise except maybe those on that Discovery cruise have experienced it on a Med cruise yet.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Sorry, but you are on three PHYSICAL voyages and one LOGICAL voyage.  It is up to Princess protocols whether they want to test folks continuing on just as they require new guests to be tested. 

In fact, by all reports here, some of the worst Covid-19 case issues have come from either extended voyage lengths or folks doing extended voyages via B2B's.  Doesn't matter how you booked it - you are still on a B2B.  If you were doing this out of a US port versus EU, you would be clearing CBP, etc, on turnaround day.  At least in EU sector, it should be easier.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

so if you are not allowed back on the ship after testing negative, do you need to pack up everything just in case you test positive?

???  Princess has been doing testing on board the last full day from all reports on here.  To what situation are you referring?

Edited by Steelers36

So it’s ok if we go on an 18 day Panama Canal cruise like we’re currently on and only have to provide a negative antigen test when we embark on the cruise, but it’s not ok to go on a 21 day Med cruise in July and only provide a negative antigen test on embarkation day because it’s made up of three 7 day cruises?

Now, we’re also talking about passengers being double vaccinated and double boosted. We’re also talking about the upcoming summer and fall Med cruises rather than cruising this past winter when omicron was surging. 

6 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Yes. I would love to hear first hand from anyone currently/recently sailing on a Princess single booking B2B, or B3B EU voyages if any in cruise testing was done.

I posed this question on another social media site (FB) and heard from several people that recently did a BTB on Mediterranean . No testing for 2nd leg.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Married15 said:

I posed this question on another social media site (FB) and heard from several people that recently did a BTB on Mediterranean . No testing for 2nd leg.

Good to hear. Thank you.  We just pulled the trigger on our final payment for our August 21 night sailing. Protocols may/will probably change 10 times before we cruise. Fingers crossed 🙂 

• Like 2