Princess' Royal Class, Question for changkp

skynight

Both Hilo and Nawiliwili are day time ports.  In both ports, the ship needs to turn around to leave (doesn't back in/our).  Nawiliwili has a very tricky S turn in order to tie up.  Both of these ports are very small towns.  They may not have the resources to accommodate an additional 1200 passengers.  (You never see two ships in town on the same day.)   These are not "technical" answers but might help @chengkp75further explain skipping these ports.  

In my opinion, why would anyone come for these three stops with so many sea days?  In addition, there are 2 tender ports.  

On 5/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Both Hilo and Nawiliwili are day time ports.  In both ports, the ship needs to turn around to leave (doesn't back in/our).  Nawiliwili has a very tricky S turn in order to tie up.  Both of these ports are very small towns.  They may not have the resources to accommodate an additional 1200 passengers.  (You never see two ships in town on the same day.)   These are not "technical" answers but might help @chengkp75further explain skipping these ports.  

In my opinion, why would anyone come for these three stops with so many sea days?  In addition, there are 2 tender ports.  

On our Royal Princess March 12, 2023 cruise (ship swapped from Ruby), we stop in Maui (7:00-6:00) and Kona (7:00 6:00), both tender ports, and overnight in Honolulu (7:00 am day 1 - 4:00 pm day 2). 

It was originally to be the Ruby, and we were to stop at Hilo (8:00-5:00), Honolulu (7:00-11:00),  Kauai (8:00-5:00) and Maui (7:00-6:00). All were docked ports.

We lost Kauai and gained a shorter second day in Honolulu. Personally, I wish they hadn't messed with the original schedule by swapping ships. But at least we get to try a different class of ship that we have never sailed on - which hopefully will be worth it. 

As for why would anyone do so many sea days for only three ports - some of us love multiple sea days more than an busy port schedule. My wife and are doing this cruise to relax. We've done too may port intensive cruises in the past and are looking forward to slowing down a bit. 

Edited by sloopsailor