Don't be afraid to try things on your own!

Pete, Funny thing about Valenica (other than this place sounds like it belongs in Italy) is that we have driven all over Spain (we really like Spain) but have never stopped at Velencia. If we were to every get to Valencia as a port-of-call, I am certain we would simply spend our day exploring the city on our own. As to Barcelona, this is a city that we have visited 6 times (will be there again this December) and I think the town fathers (perhaps mothers too) deserve a lot of credit for making the port very hospitable to cruise ships. Barcelona is a very easy city to navigate on your own. Its clean, modern, has plentiful honest taxis, good public transit (buses and a subway line). and English is widely spoken by many in the tourist industry. You have several options to get from the ship into the center of town (The Ramblas) and they are all good options. You can walk to the Ramblas which is about 1 1/2 miles of good walking (you go right over the new bridge that is next to the port) and takes about 25 minutes. Or, you can take the ships' shuttle bus to the Columbus Statute (at the base of the Ramblas) for $5 per person (each way). If you can find another couple its actually cheaper to grab a taxi to the Columbus Statute since it would be less than 10 Euros (split 4 ways) or lastly, you can take the public bus line (it stops right in front of the cruise terminal). To us, Barcelona is a walking town although they do have the usual HOHO (Hop on Hop off bus). The heart of tourist Barcelona is the Ramblas where you simply stroll, enjoy the outdoor cafes, explore the nearby Gothic Quarter, perhaps visit the Picasso Museum, stroll through the huge coverered food market (to your left as you walk up the Ramblas), and of course pay a visit to the weird Sagrada Familia (you would probably want to grab a taxi or a bus to get to this unfinished cathedral). There is much much more, but I am sure you have already looked at the tour books and explored the internet. We are planning on taking a cruise out of Barcelona on Dec 2, and we are now debating how many days early we want to fly into this city. I envy you taking a cruise on the Rotterdam. Our most recent HA cruise was on the new Noordam (11 days out of NYC this past March) and we were very pleased with everything that is HA. I am sure you will love the Rotterdam.

Hank

Thanks again Hank

Yep, we're looking forward to everything about the holiday and cruise - from the ship to the ports to flying different airlines. Waking up looking down onto a canal in Venice and out onto the beach at Ipanema. It still all seems a bit like a dream.

So public transport it is for both Valencia and Barcelona! We'd much rather just go with whatever takes our fancy. I read a very scathing review of Barcelona on the board - someone may not appreciate the work of an artist or architect but to call Gaudi an infant. mmm..... I studied design so to me all design has merit. Some appreciate graffiti more than a Da Vinci - I say each to his/her own.

and thanks also Suzie

We've contacted Tour Malta and are organising our tour with them. This is the only private tour we've thought about organising apart from Casablanca and although a little surprised by the cost it is way cheaper than a private HAL tour, not that we were looking at one!!

anyway, we're now waiting for details of what our guide in Casablanca has planned for us

happy travels to you all

pete and al

So, it looks like I need to start the tour guide Euro fund!! I got a lead on a guide for Amalfi/Positano after I posted, and have booked him. Not cheap, though. We will be in port from 8am to 3pm, and am happy to have connected with him this far in advance, as he comes well recommended!

I'll see what we can do in Rome. A few years back I found a company for Berlin called Nick Gay's Walking Tours, and the guide was fabulous; we took the train in from Warnemude, he met us at the train station & we spent hours walking around Berlin. Saw the big tour bus go by several times. We felt so happy to have been able to actually go up and see everything, and not just do a drive by!! I am wondering if Rome is as walkable? Anyone have an opinion? If it is, I'll look for a similar guide service in Rome.

Suzie

Suzie,

I was in Rome the last two summers and walked both times. We never took any public transportation, and except for the morning when my DH made me sprint to the Pantheon so we could see it before leaving for the airport, we didn't regret walking. Last summer we had our two boys with us (8 and 10) as well. It will really just depend on your stamina. I walk everyday, and think it is the only way to go. Two years ago we saw the Colloseum, Vatican, Trevi Fountain, and Spanish Steps in one day of walking. If you get stuck in line at the Vatican, that will certainly slow you down. I also recommend walking up all the steps in the cupola of the Vatican to get to the top. It was the highlight of our trip! Enjoy.

I enjoy monitoring this board and reading everyone's advice. A few years ago I used to contribute lots of help here for those who wanted advice on how to do any of the European ports on their own (we have been to most of these places multiple times). I stopped most of my help because I got tired of being flamed by others who insisted that the only way to do anything is on an organized tour (this is true for some folks). However, given the very high price of tours (the low value dollar does not help) I am surprised to see almost everyone resigned to tours. Western Europe is pretty easy to navigate on your own although it helps to do some homework. The advantage of being on your own is you avoid the "cattle like" mentality of some tours, get to do what you want when you want with who you want, and usually you will save money. In fact, on a 12 day Med cruise you can easily save over $1000 (or more) by doing things independent of tours. The down side of independent travel is that you do need to do your pre-trip homework,, but to some of us that is part of the fun. My main problem with most tours is that they try to crowd too much "touring" into a short period of time without giving you a chance to see the real Europe. A lot of the joy of visiting some cities (Rome, Paris, etc) is spending time at an outdoor cafe enjoying local cuisine, wine and people watching (this is how many Europeans enjoy themselves). Personally, when in Rome I would quickly give-up seeing some site in order to have time for lunch or a snack at one of the cafes in the Piazza Navona. But, I guess this is where the "different strokes for different folks" saying reigns surpreme.

Hank

I have started my own thread on this question, and I am searching this subforum for the answers to my question - but I will post it and with your experience, I would appreciate it if you can give me some advice.

We are going on a Disney Mediterranean cruise next week. My wife, my 11 yr old daughter (who has not visited any of the Mediterranean countries), and I will be travelling.

We have decided to take tours in Naples (to Pompeii), Rome (and Vatican City), and Florence (city, incl the museum - we have decided against the Pisa option).

We would like to do our own thing in the following:

Sicily: Palermo

French Riviera: Villefranche

Sardinia: Olbia

Marseilles

We can walk, or take a taxi, or perhaps take a train. The two of us (not our daughter) have been to the French Riviera; none of us have been to the other 3 cities.

For the French Riviera, we are docked for 19 hours! We would like to see Monaco/Monte Carlo, Nice, and Cannes (again) - without renting a car, and without taking an expensive private guide/tour. One option is the train - I am anxious about taking trains in Europe (as I have never done it before - I am wondering about just hiring a taxi?

We have not been to the other 3 cities; therefore, I can not comment on what to see in the other cities. We like to do sightseeing; shopping or restaurants or going to the beach are not main priorities for us.

PS-Besides Rome, which other cities have the subway. I have no qualms about using the subway. Which cities have the on-off tourist buses (such as Barcelona - the origin city of our cruise).

PPS-In the 7 cities (I can cancel the private tours I booked for Pompei, Rome, and Florence if necessary), if we had to go to major attractions ourselves, would we expect major lines/queues?

Thanks.

Rakesh, You really have nothing to fear about the trains in Europe. You simply buy your tickets at the station (at ticket booths or from machines) and get on the train. The only important thing is that you must always remember to validate your ticket by putting it in the time/date stamp machines located on or near the platforms. As to Villafranche, there is a single train line that runs along the entire Riviera from Cannes to Monte Carlo. The trains are similar to commuter trains and run at least once an hour (generally more often). From the tender pier in Villafranche you just walk down the street (keep the water on your right) and you will soon see steps (on your left) leading up to the tiny train station (just follow the crowd from your ship). You can either take the train towards Monte Carlo (to your right as you look inland from the water) or towards Cannes (opposite direction) which will also stop in Nice (less than 10 minute ride), Antibes, Cannes and quite a few other stops along the coast. In Monte Carlo you will probably want to grab a taxi to the Palace, from where you can than walk back into town (downhill). In Nice and Cannes you can walk from the station to almost anywhere in the towns. As to subways, other than in Rome there are no subways on your itinerary. If you want to use a taxi to visit Cannes, Nice and Monte Carlo you should be prepared to pay a total fare in the hundreds of dollars. Taxis are not cheap in France...and its a long way to Cannes from you port.

Hank

Thanks Hank for giving so much info for travelers who want to do it on their own. May I add that there are many English speaking people, expats like myself who live here and feel sorry for the cruise tourists when they see them being herded without a chance to "touch the ground" on their day off the ship.

I just returned from Cortona for the DOC wine presentations and was pleased to meet Frances Mayes who was giving a talk . I invited her -and anyone else in the area next weekend - to come to the Cene in Cantina festival in Vetralla. For the past 14 years the festival has opened cantinas in the historic center for dinners based on local recipes.

Tonight with an English couple we had a wonderful dinner including rice and lentils soup and fried eggs with truffles plus other two dishes, wine,water for 15 euro.

Rakesh, You really have nothing to fear about the trains in Europe. You simply buy your tickets at the station (at ticket booths or from machines) and get on the train. The only important thing is that you must always remember to validate your ticket by putting it in the time/date stamp machines located on or near the platforms. As to Villafranche, there is a single train line that runs along the entire Riviera from Cannes to Monte Carlo. The trains are similar to commuter trains and run at least once an hour (generally more often). From the tender pier in Villafranche you just walk down the street (keep the water on your right) and you will soon see steps (on your left) leading up to the tiny train station (just follow the crowd from your ship). You can either take the train towards Monte Carlo (to your right as you look inland from the water) or towards Cannes (opposite direction) which will also stop in Nice (less than 10 minute ride), Antibes, Cannes and quite a few other stops along the coast. In Monte Carlo you will probably want to grab a taxi to the Palace, from where you can than walk back into town (downhill). In Nice and Cannes you can walk from the station to almost anywhere in the towns. As to subways, other than in Rome there are no subways on your itinerary. If you want to use a taxi to visit Cannes, Nice and Monte Carlo you should be prepared to pay a total fare in the hundreds of dollars. Taxis are not cheap in France...and its a long way to Cannes from you port.

Hank

Hank:

Thanks, for the information. Can you also give me some advice (as per my questions in my post) for Marseilles, Sicily, and Sardinia?

Thanks, again.

Rakesh

In Villefranche, we would like to see St. Paul de Vance, Old Nice, and Monte Carlo.

My recent idea: Cab to St. Paul de Vance and Old Nice back to Villefranche. Then take the train to Monte Carlo. Any estimates on how much we will pay for a taxi to St. Paul and Old Nice?

• 11 months later...

Hey Hank ,

Your info is pretty darn useful! I'm gonna cruise the Med in two with my hubby. I found tons of useful and important info from ur threads. I am a do it yourself person , but enjoy doing my homework as i dont like suprises or Shocks!! Thanks a million for all ur info , i just wonder how many times have u been to these places to know them that well. Kudos!

Thanks, nicknish, for reviving this thread. It must have been buried in the double digit pages! It's made everything I've been doing for the past six weeks make sense!

Actually, I love the idea of independent travel. We're leaving next week for a ten day cruise with both pre and post stays in Venice and Rome. I'm so excited to put into practice everything I've gleaned in my research as well as some of the hints and tips from this thread.

Thank you!

Hey Hank ,

Your info is pretty darn useful! I'm gonna cruise the Med in two with my hubby. I found tons of useful and important info from ur threads. I am a do it yourself person , but enjoy doing my homework as i dont like suprises or Shocks!! Thanks a million for all ur info , i just wonder how many times have u been to these places to know them that well. Kudos!

I am in awe that this thread I started in Feb 2006, still survives! Your question about "how many times" does deserve an answer. It does depend on the particular port, but would generally range from 2 - 8 times. We also spend a lot of time simply touring Europe on our own with a rental car, and have often found ourselves spending significant time in the regions served by the ports (particularly in Italy and France). Independent travel is both a hobby and labor of love for both myself and my DW. Organized tours are a great option for many travelers who like the security and ease of tours, but for us, the fun is getting away from large groups of crusiers (and Americans) and getting to deal directly with the locals. In fact, on our most recent trip to Italy we finally found a region (the Marche) where we never saw a single American (we are Americans) in 4 days (that is not an easy feat in Italy). :)

Hank

hank you have been an enormous help on this board...

this is our first time to the med...out of the 9 ports, we are doing two private tours..ephesus and naples....one ships half day tour Nice and Eze...two ships transportation and then we are on our own...Athens, Florence ..and we are doing Rome, Dubrovnik, Kusadasi, Venice and Barcelona on our own...

a nice mix...

when we do the med again..I am sure we will be much more confident to do more on our own...

I have just come back from a NCL cruise and recommend people look at alternatives to organised tours & try doing it yourself! If you do a bit of research it's not hard using trains (and as long as you give yourself at least a spare hour, there should be no problems getting back to the ship on time.) With buses or cars I figure there is always the chance of traffic problems and accidents etc.

We visited Naples, Rome, Florence about 2 weeks ago.

For Naples, we hired a private driver- Marcello, who was fabulous (www.seesorrento.com). I checked the train schedules but knew it would be really hard to fit all we wanted to do into a day. We drove down (up?) the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento and Positano were packed with tourists and buses, we went off the beaten track to a small restaurant with the most amazing view where we had the Best Italian Meal Ever. We then went to Pompeii for a couple of hours (Marcello can hire a private tour guide) and it was only half an hour back to our ship (which is why Marcello recommended we do it last.) I highly recommend Marcello, he can talk the hind leg off a donkey but gives you amazing insight from a Southern Italian who has grown up in the area. A fabulous day with flexibility- we stopped whenever we wanted for photos & shopping etc. and he tailored the tour to our requests as we went along.

In Rome, we trained into the city (which was a direct train- see http://www.europeportreviews.com/ if you're interested in doing it yourself. I pre-booked tickets to the Vatican Museum on http://www.rome-museum.com/vatican2ind.php (and skipped the queue, but you must be on time.) We then trained to the Colloseum and walked the rest- you can buy maps everywhere. I liked the freedom of not being tied to a tour group and a lot of the time, for a tenth of the price, we kept bumping into our ship's tour group in the Vatican.

In Florence, it was a bit harder to find the train station so would recommend you taxi to it in Livorno. We trained in and just walked around looking at buildings and eating. By our third big day we were pretty tired so spent a lot of time in cafes drinking coffee and eating pasta and gelato. I was glad we hadn't prebooked museum tickets etc because we were growing a bit weary of beatiful cathedrals and walking.

With Malta and Villefranche I'm glad we never planned anything. I didn't anticipate how exhausting the tours/big ports would be and in Villefranche we were happy to go off the ship for 3 hours then come back for a sleep. We thought Malta was beautiful and it was very easy to catch a public bus into the town (1 euro) and walk around on our own. The view from the Upper Barraka Gardens was amazing and again we bumped into the organised tours!

I'm joining this thread late but hope it's not too late. We're cruising to Ephesus and Istanbul in September and have done lots of homework. I agree that the planning and anticipation is almost as fun as the cruise. I have a private tour scheduled for the six of us for Ephesus and was going to book a two day tour of Istanbul but am having "independent thoughts". We arrive at 2:00 one day and leave at 4:00 the next. Can we do this on our own? It appears that the "must sees" are all within walking distance from the center of the city. What are your thoughts? One of the highlights of our last Med cruise was finding a cafe for lunch and watching and speaking with the locals. Thanks for all this help. We really appreciate it. :D

Hey Hank ,

8 times to most places in Med!! Wow , now what job did u have , hehe:)

On a more serious note , i have a day in Nice , and was wondering whats the best way to get around to Monaco , Eze , Villefrance.( trains or local buses or hop on hop off buses between these cities?) And so i dont feel im constantly in transport , which places can i give a miss. I know i wanna do Monaco. an im staying in Nice. Sugesstions?

Thank u....

I have just come back from a NCL cruise and recommend people look at alternatives to organised tours & try doing it yourself! If you do a bit of research it's not hard using trains (and as long as you give yourself at least a spare hour, there should be no problems getting back to the ship on time.) With buses or cars I figure there is always the chance of traffic problems and accidents etc.

We visited Naples, Rome, Florence about 2 weeks ago.

For Naples, we hired a private driver- Marcello, who was fabulous (www.seesorrento.com). I checked the train schedules but knew it would be really hard to fit all we wanted to do into a day. We drove down (up?) the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento and Positano were packed with tourists and buses, we went off the beaten track to a small restaurant with the most amazing view where we had the Best Italian Meal Ever. We then went to Pompeii for a couple of hours (Marcello can hire a private tour guide) and it was only half an hour back to our ship (which is why Marcello recommended we do it last.) I highly recommend Marcello, he can talk the hind leg off a donkey but gives you amazing insight from a Southern Italian who has grown up in the area. A fabulous day with flexibility- we stopped whenever we wanted for photos & shopping etc. and he tailored the tour to our requests as we went along.

In Rome, we trained into the city (which was a direct train- see http://www.europeportreviews.com/ if you're interested in doing it yourself. I pre-booked tickets to the Vatican Museum on http://www.rome-museum.com/vatican2ind.php (and skipped the queue, but you must be on time.) We then trained to the Colloseum and walked the rest- you can buy maps everywhere. I liked the freedom of not being tied to a tour group and a lot of the time, for a tenth of the price, we kept bumping into our ship's tour group in the Vatican.

In Florence, it was a bit harder to find the train station so would recommend you taxi to it in Livorno. We trained in and just walked around looking at buildings and eating. By our third big day we were pretty tired so spent a lot of time in cafes drinking coffee and eating pasta and gelato. I was glad we hadn't prebooked museum tickets etc because we were growing a bit weary of beatiful cathedrals and walking.

With Malta and Villefranche I'm glad we never planned anything. I didn't anticipate how exhausting the tours/big ports would be and in Villefranche we were happy to go off the ship for 3 hours then come back for a sleep. We thought Malta was beautiful and it was very easy to catch a public bus into the town (1 euro) and walk around on our own. The view from the Upper Barraka Gardens was amazing and again we bumped into the organised tours!

I will be going in July and have almost the same itinerary planned that you did!

Malta--on our own--public transportation and walking

Naples--we hired a private car and guide for Pompeii and to drive us around the Amalfi coast and hydrofoil back to Naples.

Rome--plan on taking the train in and seeing what we can. My DS (16) will be with myself and DD (14), and I am afraid after a full day together the day before, we may need to keep our plans flexible because:

Livorno--I already have tickets to Accademia and Uffizi. Since DS won't be into all the art and museums, and he decided to stay on the ship that day that that would be museum day (I know--but it's his vacation too--he will be happy to be away from DD) My DD also wants to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, so we are going to train it. Thanks for the cab suggestions--I know that europeportreviews.com suggests that too!

Villefranche looks like it has a beautiful beach--after the few previous days,it will probably look even better.

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!

Sorry, this thread is too long, so I did not read every post. However, I'd like to offer some info to hopefully ease apprehension of doing it independently.

IMO, it appears that most people agree that one cannot see/experience a country, city, or sometimes a site as a cruise port. To experience anywhere in Europe (or anywhere as far as that is concerned), you need to take a land trip - group tour or independently. If one if really apprehensive, start with a guided group bus tour, such as, Globus, Trafalgar, etc. Sure, these are not the best way, but definitely a bonus for those who fear "doing it on their own"? Make it a shorter tour, maybe 5 days in cities you specifically want to see, such as, Rome, Venice, etc. Then return independently & you will feel comfortable.

RE: Rome - IMO, the Rome bus system is not easy to use. On our 3rd trip there (all land trips), we asked locals, our apartment owner, etc. & no one knew how to use it - they drive. We asked other tourists we met - they were not using it because they couldn't figure it out. I use the Fodors talk board to plan my trips & no one on there could answer my questions. So, while in Rome, I finally bought the route map & guide & studied it one evening. I posted instructions here - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2 - but for the short amount of time in Rome as a port stop, I wouldn't bother trying to figure out the buses.

In Rome for a day, I suggest using the #110 HoHo bus - red double decker. Here are 2 sites - http://www.romaturismo.com/v2/romatiaccoglie/en/autobus2_4.html, http://www.atac.roma.it/. It is easy to use & stops near most tourist sites. Get on at any of the stops & pay onboard. However one needs a good map so once off the bus you can figure your way around. I like Brendt & Freytag's Rome map (in Italian so the map names & the street names match); buy at Barnes & Nobles or Borders or local map store; about $10.

Keep in mind that when you land tour independently, as long as you are staying in hotels vs. apartments, your hotel staff will give you most of the info you need - you will not be on your own.

Also keep in mind that when you sit at a cafe in the tourist centers, you are observing tourists, not locals; except maybe those who work in the area & are rushing in & out of the city! If you want to feel the life of the locals, you have to stay in their neighborhoods in an apartment, buy groceries where they buy, etc.

Enjoy!

Good luck, you will have a marvellous time! If you're doing it on your own it really helps to prepare as much as you can before you go, download maps, read up on particular buildings, pieces of art etc. that you want to see. You have no time to do it when you get there. Happy Travels!

I understand that the Trenitalia in conjuction with the Rome local bus company (Trambus) recently started selling a combination ticket for 22 Euros that covers round trip trains from Civitavecchia and use of the #110 tourist HOHO bus. I believe this would amount to a savings of about 7 Euros over buying these tickets separately. These tickets should be available at the Civitavecchia train station. Another combination ticket is also available that would cover the round trip train and the use of Rome public transit (buses and subways) but EXCLUDES the #110 HOHO. One warning for those using the trains. Most trains on this line are older local trains and do not usually have any a/c. Dress accordingly but remember that the Vatican does enforce a dress code of no shorts and covered shoulders.

Hank

Thanks so much, Hank! Your posts are always so informative. Your directions enabled us to get to and from Rome so easily last year.

Anyone know the current cost of the BIRG ticket from Civitivecchia? The one for trains plus public buses/metro (does not include HOHO or 110 bus). It was €9 a year ago.

Anyone know the current cost of the BIRG ticket from Civitivecchia? The one for trains plus public buses/metro (does not include HOHO or 110 bus). It was €9 a year ago.

Just back from West Med cruise, the cost of the BIRG ticket remain €9.

We stayed in Rome for a day and a half before our cruise and throughly enjoyed it. we got so lost the first time out that we had to stop a policeman and ask how to get back to our hotel, but we loved it and saw a different side than you do on a organized tour. The last few hours I just wandered the neighborhood early in the morning and enjoyed the waking up of the natives. Can wait to go back.

• 2 weeks later...
I enjoy monitoring this board and reading everyone's advice. A few years ago I used to contribute lots of help here for those who wanted advice on how to do any of the European ports on their own (we have been to most of these places multiple times). I stopped most of my help because I got tired of being flamed by others who insisted that the only way to do anything is on an organized tour (this is true for some folks). However, given the very high price of tours (the low value dollar does not help) I am surprised to see almost everyone resigned to tours. Western Europe is pretty easy to navigate on your own although it helps to do some homework. The advantage of being on your own is you avoid the "cattle like" mentality of some tours, get to do what you want when you want with who you want, and usually you will save money. In fact, on a 12 day Med cruise you can easily save over $1000 (or more) by doing things independent of tours. The down side of independent travel is that you do need to do your pre-trip homework,, but to some of us that is part of the fun. My main problem with most tours is that they try to crowd too much "touring" into a short period of time without giving you a chance to see the real Europe. A lot of the joy of visiting some cities (Rome, Paris, etc) is spending time at an outdoor cafe enjoying local cuisine, wine and people watching (this is how many Europeans enjoy themselves). Personally, when in Rome I would quickly give-up seeing some site in order to have time for lunch or a snack at one of the cafes in the Piazza Navona. But, I guess this is where the "different strokes for different folks" saying reigns surpreme.

Hank

Hank:

I haven't spoken to you in years and we date back to the old travel boards a long time ago...I think it might have been on Prodigy. We are planning the Grand Princess on October 29th from Venice to Rome and NEED YOUR ADVICE. Ten years ago (on our 30th anniversary when the Grand was brand new), you helped plan the trip. Six years ago, you help me plan the Baltic. And I need you now to make our trip better. If you would email me at sandysilvers@yahoo.com, I would appriciate it. To refresh your memory, you might remember the hot controversy with my old "sweetheart" Annette.

Thank you...Sandy

I just have to respond on-line to this last post. I absolutely do remember MrBowWow (how could anyone forget that nick) and yes, I do believe we go all the way back to Prodigy days (I actually was active on some private BBs prior to Prodigy). We were also on the Grand her first year (it was a cruise that left from Venice) and were most recently back on the Grand this past April on her latest transatlantic cruise. For the curious, I believe the "Annette" mentioned in the prior post was a travel agent who was also quite active on Prodigy.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I read through this complete thread looking for info on Capri, but not much was mentioned. Could someone give some info - docking in Naples, read many comments about the ferries. Not interested in doing the Blue Grotto, just want to take in the scenery on the island.

Once in Anacapri, what is there to see? What about the lift to the top of the mountain?