Don't be afraid to try things on your own!

I don't think Hank is around, but I believe if you do the ship bus into Rome (total waste of money IMO when the train is so cheap and easy, but to each his own) it will drop you near the Vatican. The HoHo bus stops right at the end of the boulevard that dead ends at St. Peter's Square--they are very easy to spot. If you have the basilica at your back, you're in the right spot. You can buy your tickets right on board, no need to pre-purchase.

IF you'd like to take the train, it is 9 euros r/t and gives you access to the metro and buses (not HoHo) while in Rome. You can get off at the San Pietro station and walk straight to the HoHo stop from there.

Hope this helps

Cathy

Thanks Cathy for the heads up. Since Hank is off collecting more great information to share with all of us ameteurs, I will ask for feedback from all the rest of you, who are so kind to share your thoughts. As I posted above, my husband and I will be cruising to Europe in August- first time to Europe for both of us. We are hoping to DIY in most ports...and I fear I am either naive or just plain blonde :) because so far I am not completely overwhelmed at the thought of doing this. Below is my tentaive "game plan" so far, with a few questions intermixed. Anything anyone can add would be SO appreciated. If you have suggestions for the ports that i have not reserached yet- I'd be more than open to any information. Thank you in advance for your valued insight.

Pre-Cruise Day Night in London: Hotel is undetermined- any thoughts? Plan to see The Eye and London Tower, take in some pubs and eat some fish and chips. Yum!

Vigo- no plans yet

Lisbon- no plans yet

Cadiz- no plans yet

Gibralter- Get into city somehow (?) and take the cable cars up to The Rock.

Granada- Plan to take in a beach and boardwalk, perhaps in Malaga or somewhere on the Costa Del Sol. Any suggestions for transportation or which beach is the best- I did see the post above, thank you, for that info.

Olbia- No Plans yet

Naples- Hydrofoil to Capri and walk around- anywhere to see in particular or to grab a good glass of wine? If time left- check out the crazy main street in Naples and EAT PIZZA!!!!

Rome- Train into Rome, then use public transportation to see the Trevi

Fountain, Colleseum, Spanish Steps, and take in a Piazza during lunch (not sure which Piazza or restaurant- again, any advice?)

Livorono- Train to Cinque Terre- hike the Cinque Terre and have lunch there...has anyone done this?!?! Where is a good spot for lunch with some tasty wine? Will we have enough time to train there and see all five citites? Would there be time for Pisa, too (would like to see the tower, but if not, that's okay)

Cannes- No plans yet

Barcelona (post cruise day/night)- Public transport to a hotel in the city then stroll La Rambla, maybe take in some Olympic sights. Have some tasty Tapas for dinner! And then head home...

Phew....sorry for my blabbering...I will wait quietly for your responses, thanks. :o

Private tour/cars for the $ only are competitive when you fill the vehicle. For many operators if you can find 4 people for a car, 6 for a van or 10+ for a mini bus the $ per/person cost drops well below the most extravagant of the ship meg bus 40+ tours and you see so much more with a better overall experience. Private tours have the advantage of smaller group so you aren't waiting for the last of the 40 people to make the walk etc. Most important the vehicle in most European cities can drop you off much closer to all the attractions then any of the bus tours, also being private you pick the attractions and how long you stay at each. Given all the advantages it really makes sense to go Private to get the most out of your limited time in Port. DIY saves money, allows you to experience European mass transit ( sorry that isn't one of my personal must see's on a whirlwind 10 port/12 day cruise :rolleyes: ). For people that might be going to a city/port for the xth time maybe DIY makes sense as they've already seen most of the sights and they just want that leisure and cost efficient visit to hit their favorites, no question walking the back streets is a unique experience in every foreign city I've had the time to do it in. But on a cruise tour, walking back streets and experiencing mass transit seems to be the odd must do, no?

If it is a first visit, you've spent thousands on the ship, thousands on your air fare, why would a person short change Rome for example to DIY to save 100 euros? Just a counter opinion ;) :D

Chipmaster, Thanks for your counter opinion. What is your suggestion for a first timer in Rome, especially if you have a 2-3 days?

Thank You,

Pinkie

Edited by pinksuit
spelling

I don't think Hank is around, but I believe if you do the ship bus into Rome (total waste of money IMO when the train is so cheap and easy, but to each his own) it will drop you near the Vatican. The HoHo bus stops right at the end of the boulevard that dead ends at St. Peter's Square--they are very easy to spot. If you have the basilica at your back, you're in the right spot. You can buy your tickets right on board, no need to pre-purchase.

IF you'd like to take the train, it is 9 euros r/t and gives you access to the metro and buses (not HoHo) while in Rome. You can get off at the San Pietro station and walk straight to the HoHo stop from there.

Hope this helps

Cathy

Cathy, I just posted (#202) However, feel free to give your response as well. We have agreed to take a Vatican tour with another couple so no need to include that.

Thank You,

Pinkie

Cruisin Cheesehead,

We were in Vigo back in 2003 and we hired a taxi with another couple which took us to Santiago de Compestalo for the day. We arranged for him to pick us up there after our exploring and we didn't pay him until we returned to the ship. I think it cost us around 40Euros for each couple, but I cannot be sure now. Santiago de Compestalo is a lovely city and has a lot to offer. It is a University town as well as having the Cathedral that all the pilgrims who walk the Camino de Santiago reach at the end of their journey.

We have been to Lisbon twice and last time we caught the Hop On Hop Off bus that took us around the sights. The first time we did do the city in depth as we spent a few days there.

We are visiting Cadiz this year for the first time. We have been to Seville before but I would like to return. We are docked for 15 hours so we have time to take the train to that city. If you are in port for a short time, then I believe that Cadiz is a great city to walk around and see the sights. We are returning to that port next year in May and we will spend our time exploring Cadiz then.

We docked in Monaco in 2003 and we took a private tour with Dream Tours that took us to Eze and St. Paul de Vence. If you can arrange with some of your fellow cruisers on your Roll Call to join together then the cost is not exhorbitant.

Hope this helps a little with some ideas.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Cheesehead, can't comment on a lot of those sites but here are a few thoughts.

Gibraltar: you can walk right off the ship and over to the the area where you go up the hill to see the monkeys,. That part was about $35/pp IIRC, so we just went to a pub and had a pint and Shepherd's Pie instead!

Naples: this is the one port where we did a private tour; a drive along the Amalfi Coast, Positano and Sorrento, a fabilous lunch up in the hills, and then a nap while the driver took us to Pompeii for a two hour tour. Great day.

Rome: easiest to take the train to Termini, then use your BIRG ticket to take the metro to the Colosseo stop; after visiting the Palatine Hill and Forum area, see the Colosseum, then you can walk to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, etc. If you have extra time you can grab a cab to the Vatican, then catch the train back to port from the San Pietro station.

Cinque Terre: We loved Vernazza, esp. the Blue Marlin. Homemade gnocchi with pesto and local wine. I know you can take the train from Livorno, but we had a deviation and tendered in La Spezia instead which was much closer.

Cannes: not much there other than the beach. I would suggest a bus trip up in the hills to St. Paul de Vence, a medieval village that has actually some nice shopping and good restaurants--a fun day trip.

Pinksuit: with three days, you will be able to see a lot. I would take my time and soak in the atmosphere as much as possible. Don't overplan--pick one major thing to do each day, i.e. the Vatican, or the Colosseum/Palatine/Forum. Spanish Steps (in actuality just STEPS) and Trevi Fountain are short stops. When we go this year, we want to do the Capitoline and Borghese museums which we have not been able to get to yet, and spend more time wandering on our own through the Vatican museums. But most importantly we want to sit in the cafes and watch the world go by! Also of course you have to visit the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona and, geez, I could go on and on!

Hope all this helps!

Cathy

Thank you Aussie and Cathy for your responses.

Aussie, thank you for the input re: Vigo, Lisbon and Cadiz. Unfortunately, our roll call is not very active for this cruise, so the idea of sharing a taxi might not work out, but I will keep trying. In Lisbon, is the HOHO bus easily accessible from the pier, or do you need to taxi into town to get it?

Cathy, in Gibralter, is there any other way to get up to the rock that doesn't involve the monkeys- to be honest, that whole bit kind of creeps me out, but I really would like to see the view from up there. Any thoughts? Otherwise your pint and Shepherds Pie will certainly do the trick!!! Also, I was torn in Naples on doing Capri vs. something on the Amalfi Coast...have you been to Capri? Which would you recommend for a first-timer?

Thanks.

Glad to see this ole thread continues to live. We have been silent here because we were on a 26 day HA cruise to many many European ports, and of course, did not take a single ships tour (we practice what we preach). We met several folks on our cruise who spent more on ship excursions than they did on the cruise itself! Here are some examples to whett the appetites of the "on your own" folks. In Pireaus the current Metro fare into Athens is 1 Euro per person (each way). It is possible to walk from ship to Metro station in about 20 min (easy walk over flat sidewalks) or you grab a local bus from across the street of the pier to the Metro station for another Euro. In Dubrovnik, the cruise line charged $24 round trip for the shuttle from ship to town. We simply took the local bus (from right near the port entrance) to town for about $3 per person (round trip). Since this is the first time in a month I have been on CC, it will take me a while to catch-up. We are still traveling in Europe for another month (on land) and gathering more info for future posts.

Hank

Unfortunately, our roll call is not very active for this cruise, so the idea of sharing a taxi might not work out, but I will keep trying.
It should actually be quite easy to rent a car in Vigo and drive yourself to Santiago. I've done this a couple of times from La Coruna, which is the same distance but in the other direction from Santiago. And the last time, I'd made a reserve booking at Vigo because we'd picked up a hint that our ship might actually be going there rather than to La Coruna, although in the event we went to the latter as planned. All the major companies are represented in both ports, so it's just a question of locating the most convenient place.

Cathy, in Gibralter, is there any other way to get up to the rock that doesn't involve the monkeys- to be honest, that whole bit kind of creeps me out, but I really would like to see the view from up there. Any thoughts? Otherwise your pint and Shepherds Pie will certainly do the trick!!! Also, I was torn in Naples on doing Capri vs. something on the Amalfi Coast...have you been to Capri? Which would you recommend for a first-timer?

Thanks.

Well, since we didn't go up the hill, I don't really know all the ways to get up there. I think you can grab a taxi right from the port and they will do a tour for you. We were supposed to go to Casablanca and Marrakesh (?) but they changed the ports as we were leaving home for Gibraltar and Malaga, so we didn't have time to do any homework. For Naples, I really wanted to hit Pompeii this time around, so we decided to leave Capri for another trip and do Amalfi and Pompeii instead. Hard to say--I hear mixed things about Capri--some people love it, some just say it was so-so. If we are able to do our Solstice trip later this year, I think we will concentrate on Capri--and if we have enough time, maybe Herculaneum although I have no idea if that's feasible in a one day stop.

Hank, keep those cards and letters coming in!

Cathy

Edited by CathyCruises

Thank you Aussie and Cathy for your responses.

Aussie, thank you for the input re: Vigo, Lisbon and Cadiz. Unfortunately, our roll call is not very active for this cruise, so the idea of sharing a taxi might not work out, but I will keep trying. In Lisbon, is the HOHO bus easily accessible from the pier, or do you need to taxi into town to get it?

Thanks.

We walked into the city from the ship. I think it took about 15-20 minutes. It wasn't too far to go. If you have never been to Lisbon before, it is good to take a walk around the city centre before hopping on the bus.

The reason we didn't drive to Santiago is that we drive on the left hand side of the road and we weren't experienced enough to try driving in Spain. It is one thing to drive on the opposite side of the road but when most of the signs are in a strange language then it does become doubly hard. Also, between the four of us, the cost of the taxi would have been cheaper than hiring a car for the day plus you then have to find a place to park it in Santiago! Not the easiest in this lovely city.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Where was this thread when I started planning a month ago???

10 day/8 port cruise starts May 15. We have only one purchased tour - Ephesus. I am down to planning Rhodes. Found a walking tour on the National Geographic website, where I also found references to the Acropolis of Rhodes maybe near Mount Smith? But after an hour if internet searches, all I have found is a reference to walking 3 km or taking bus 5. Anyone out there ever visit this site and have any directions or ecommendations?

Thanks

Cheesehead, can't comment on a lot of those sites but here are a few thoughts.

Gibraltar: you can walk right off the ship and over to the the area where you go up the hill to see the monkeys,. That part was about $35/pp IIRC, so we just went to a pub and had a pint and Shepherd's Pie instead!

Naples: this is the one port where we did a private tour; a drive along the Amalfi Coast, Positano and Sorrento, a fabilous lunch up in the hills, and then a nap while the driver took us to Pompeii for a two hour tour. Great day.

Rome: easiest to take the train to Termini, then use your BIRG ticket to take the metro to the Colosseo stop; after visiting the Palatine Hill and Forum area, see the Colosseum, then you can walk to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, etc. If you have extra time you can grab a cab to the Vatican, then catch the train back to port from the San Pietro station.

Cinque Terre: We loved Vernazza, esp. the Blue Marlin. Homemade gnocchi with pesto and local wine. I know you can take the train from Livorno, but we had a deviation and tendered in La Spezia instead which was much closer.

Cannes: not much there other than the beach. I would suggest a bus trip up in the hills to St. Paul de Vence, a medieval village that has actually some nice shopping and good restaurants--a fun day trip.

Pinksuit: with three days, you will be able to see a lot. I would take my time and soak in the atmosphere as much as possible. Don't overplan--pick one major thing to do each day, i.e. the Vatican, or the Colosseum/Palatine/Forum. Spanish Steps (in actuality just STEPS) and Trevi Fountain are short stops. When we go this year, we want to do the Capitoline and Borghese museums which we have not been able to get to yet, and spend more time wandering on our own through the Vatican museums. But most importantly we want to sit in the cafes and watch the world go by! Also of course you have to visit the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona and, geez, I could go on and on!

Hope all this helps!

Cathy

Thanks Cathy,

Actually, that is our plan (not too much on one day) The Vatican is already planned for one day and other city sites spread out. Because we will have extra time post-cruise, we want to do a day trip to Florence. Is that a good choice?

Pinkie

"Hank" - feel free to chime in too THANKS!

I found this thread earlier today, and have been reading on and off all day. I have read every line from where Hank started it in early '06 to present. This has been most informative.

My husband has traveled to Europe a handful of times on business, but this will be my first time (May 2010 on Ruby Princess). I had already started a word document to keep track of all the info that will help me, and I think it doubled in size from all the wonderful info I added into it today.

I want to do all that I can on my own, and am excited beyond words at all the treasures Europe has to offer. That being said, I live in a small town in South Carolina, and do not often use public transportation. So I want to be as prepared as possible going in, in order to make the most of my time. This trip (for our 15-yr. anniv.) is a big expense for us, and I don't know when I'll make it back to Europe, so my dilemma is balancing the "cramming everything in so I don't really see anything" with making sure I see as many "must sees" as possible. I have Madison Bays problem of "if it's Tuesday...syndrome" When I get like that planning and executing trips, my husband calls it "Misty Military Time".

That's fine for Disney World, but on this trip, I want to force myself to slow down and savor the sights, smells, and people of the places we are visiting.

I've rambled all the preceding to say thank you to everyone for the great advice and tips and reminders to enjoy ourselves whether everything is checked off our (um, my)list or not.:D

-Misty

We think this Gibraltar monkey thing is just a lot of monkey business. We have been on the rock many times and never been annoyed by the monkeys. Yes, they are there, and yes, you can sometimes attract them by making nice or offering food. But, these days, they are so well cared for that they often ignore the tourists. As to how to get up the rock you have two decent options. You could take a vehicle (taxi, bus, etc) or simply ride up on the cable car (we love this ride). The cable car has two stops (at the top and at the mid-point) and its possible to get off at both or you can ride to the top and hike down the road to the middle station. We have done this hike several times and never been bothered by the monkeys.

Hank

Hi Hank or any other traveller

Is it possible to do Cinque terre from Livorno, we are in port from 7am to 7pm.

We are used to travelling to Pisa on the train from Livorno, we did Florence on a tour and seem to be spend half the time standing in full sun waiting for others who turned up late and don't really want to repeat the experience.

Any suggesttions would be gratefully received by any people who have made this trip by train.

many thanks

Jean:)

Hank and company,

This post has been wonderful but like others my head is spinning (this is our first trip to Europe).

This may well be our one and only visit to the Mediterranean (our finances have changed drastically since we initially booked). We are booked on a 13 night cruise in late October (Civitavecchia-Piraeus-Rhodes-Kusadasi-Alexandria-Ashdod-Haifa-Naples- Civitavecchia). Any and all advice appreciated (like links to other posts/sites) for this once in a lifetime trip.

Specific questions:

1) We are in Rome 3 days before and 1 day after cruise. Of course, we plan to spend most of the time in Rome but would it be possible to get to Florence/Pisa during that time? Best way to do this? Or if you were in Italy only once, would you do something else?

2) We will be in Athens on Sunday and Rhodes on Monday - any problems with closings?

3) We will be in Haifa on Sunday, November 1st , which I read is a public holiday there - is that going to be an issue?

FINALLY - what are the top things you would spend the extra money/time doing; what things are really not worth it? (I know this is probably too broad but just a couple of items would be appreciated)

Thank you, Aimee

Hi Hank or any other traveller

Is it possible to do Cinque terre from Livorno, we are in port from 7am to 7pm.

We are used to travelling to Pisa on the train from Livorno, we did Florence on a tour and seem to be spend half the time standing in full sun waiting for others who turned up late and don't really want to repeat the experience.

Any suggesttions would be gratefully received by any people who have made this trip by train.

many thanks

GSPLover posted Italian train information for cruisers on another thread which has detalied info on reaching Cinque Terre by train.

http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

This site makes it seem so simple and affordable to use the train to sightsee in Rome, Naples, Florence.

Specific questions:

We are in Rome 3 days before and 1 day after cruise. Of course, we plan to spend most of the time in Rome but would it be possible to get to Florence/Pisa during that time? Best way to do this? Or if you were in Italy only once, would you do something else?

A friend and I recently spent 3 days in Rome and saw most everything we wanted to plus spent relaxing time eating lunch in Piazza Navonna and gelato everywhere. :eek: We organized the days as: one day at St. Peter's and Vatican museum; one day in the Roman Ruins; and one day at the Borghese Gallery, Trevi fountain, Pantheon, and Spanish steps. That gave us plenty of time to just wander and relax. To plan properly, go to <www.ricksteves.com> and go to the Helpline. Also, read Rick's travel guides on Italy, Rome, and Florence/Tuscany.

Yes, you can do a day in Florence. The train from Rome Termini station to Florence SMN just takes 1.5 hrs. Leave early in the morning and you'll be in Florence by the time things are opening up. Be sure you reserve tickets in advance for Accademia, Uffizi, Bargello, and other museums. You can do it over the Internet. The Duomo cathedral is always open. Florence is compact and everything is walkable. I really enjoyed the Mercato Centrale, a lovely indoor food market next to the outdoor flea market.

My favorite large city was Venice. But it's a 4 hour train ride from Rome, so I wouldn't do it that way. Another nice place to visit near Rome is Ostia Antica. About a 45 min. train ride away (by the coast), it's an excavated ancient Roman port town.

FINALLY - what are the top things you would spend the extra money/time doing; what things are really not worth it? (I know this is probably too broad but just a couple of items would be appreciated)

I wouldn't want to miss St. Peter's, Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel, the Roman Ruins with the Colosseum, Borghese Gallery, Piazza Navonna, and the Pantheon. Since you'll be there for several days, get the RomaPass to save money on admission to sites and free transportation on subways and buses. Be sure to wander around, eat at small local places, get gelato everyday (you can have whipped cream on the scoops if you like), and relax with a latte. Frankly, I thought the Spanish Steps were not much to see. Have a great time!!

Edited by beachyfe

Thank you for the link, I am still undecided whether to risk the train, as this is the only trip I am really bothered about on this cruise, I will probably take the ships tour on this occaison.

Happy cruising everyone.

GSPLover posted Italian train information for cruisers on another thread which has detalied info on reaching Cinque Terre by train.

http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

This site makes it seem so simple and affordable to use the train to sightsee in Rome, Naples, Florence.

Hank and company,

\

This may well be our one and only visit to the Mediterranean (our finances have changed drastically since we initially booked).

I hear you about the finances!

3) We will be in Haifa on Sunday, November 1st , which I read is a public holiday there - is that going to be an issue?

I would imagine you're all right, since in Israel, no doubt Saturday is the big closing day.

Thank you, Aimee

Don't wear yourself out, that's my advice. Pick something restful to do at some point while you're in Rome, like the Villa Borghese Gardens.

And if I were you I would go for it and spend a day in Florence! Just be prepared for crowds, and plan your top destination early.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

thanks beachyfe, wendy and cathy - really appreciated your answers.

You helped me make up my mind about taking the train to Florence!!!

Got my dates mixed - actually in Alexandria on November 1st - better I think.

Does anyone know about a tour company in Ephesus called: goephesustour.com?

thanks again, aimee

As we live in Europe, and the Med, we know the major cities pretty well. Plus we know that if we miss something it won't be a problem as we can easily go there another time.

However, for those folk coming from USA and Australia - many of you will have been saving for some time and don't know when you'll be able to return.

It's easy to get to Rome by train. But remember if you don't know the city and the language you'll begin to panic that your're going to miss something. The best advice is go to Termini main station, see the sites within a relatively short walking distance then get a taxi to the Vatican. Return to the port from the San Pietro train station.

Obviously, check out the times of the return train.