Don't be afraid to try things on your own!

Awww shucks, gee, golly , etc etc. Spygirl, you make me blush :). The thing about all our travel is we are always learning new things and just posting here gives us the motivation to learn even more travel facts. The internet has really changed travel for us independent travelers. When we started, there was no internet and we had to make reservations via "cables" which got pretty expensive. Now, it is so easy. As an example, the apartment we rented in St Remy de Provence is actually owned by a lady who lives in Ireland and managed by a local Frenchman. We did the rental contract via the Irish lady and transferred money via PayPal (an easy way to send money in any type currency). Any future contacts with our French contact will be via cell phone text or voice messages. This is all relatively new technology which has revolutionized the entire travel experience. As to cruising, our last 3 cruises have been booked on the internet and we have not even talked to any TAs.

Hank

While my wife and I have some 30 cruises under our belt, this is our first time in Europe using the QM2 has our carrier to/from NY (no planes plse). In Rome, we plan taking a ships shuttle from Civitavecchia to the closest hop-on hop-off and move around for the day. In Monte Carlo, on the eve of the Grand Prix where thousands of people will be flooding the streets, we plan an organized tour from the ship to get a feel of the city and by-pass the lines. In Barcelona, Lisbon and Gibraltat we were planning to simply get transportation from the ship to the main sites and walk around. As we will be two days in Southampton, we will certainly take in the local sights while the ship cleans up from/to her transatlantic crossings. The ship's limited time in port obviously allow us to take only a snap shot of what that corner of the world has to offer. Here is the $500 question! Are we missing anything in our basic plans? What must we simply not miss in these ports? We can walk a fair distance, enjoy shopping, do as the locals do, some museums/churches, but most of all see what we cannot find in Canada, the USA or the Carribean. We have 6 days to relax before on the ship before we hit the first port and 6 days on the wait back before returning to Ottawa.:rolleyes:

We have been to Lisbon twice and this time would like to venture out of town. Does anyone have any advice and experience with taking the train to Sintra? Is it interesting? Is it easy? Is there somewhere else we should head?

Thanks

I enjoyed reading Colmoi's post (above). Personally, we also dislike the flying aspects of cruising (even though I am a licensed private pilot) because the worlds' airlines and airports have done everything humanly possible to make flying an awful experience. We routinely use transatlantic repositioning cruises to avoid flying at least one-way to or from Europe. It sounds like you have done your homework and have a great plan for your ports. Since it's impossible to see and do everything in a port day, just enjoy yourselves and don't lose sleep over things missed (that is the reason to return on another trip). Since you are using a private tour in Monte Carlo, you might want to ask your guide to get you to the Changing of the Guard ceremony (about 11:55 am) and perhaps you might be able to get a visit to Eze included on your tour (its only 10 min from Monte Carlo).

Regarding the previous post on Sintra, we have been to Sintra 3 times, but did it twice with a rental car and once using the train from Lisbon (this was about 20 years ago) and than we used public buses to go from Sintra to both Cascais and Esteril before returning to the ship (in those days they docked near the Belam Tower). Sintra is a smallish town which has preserved much of it's charm (but even Sintra has now become a bit over developed). Once you arrive in Sintra you can get a free tourist map which lists all the local sites and their hours. This town also has some interesting shops (my wife bought a very nice purse made from cork).

Hank

I enjoy monitoring this board and reading everyone's advice. A few years ago I used to contribute lots of help here for those who wanted advice on how to do any of the European ports on their own (we have been to most of these places multiple times). I stopped most of my help because I got tired of being flamed by others who insisted that the only way to do anything is on an organized tour (this is true for some folks). However, given the very high price of tours (the low value dollar does not help) I am surprised to see almost everyone resigned to tours. Western Europe is pretty easy to navigate on your own although it helps to do some homework. The advantage of being on your own is you avoid the "cattle like" mentality of some tours, get to do what you want when you want with who you want, and usually you will save money. In fact, on a 12 day Med cruise you can easily save over $1000 (or more) by doing things independent of tours. The down side of independent travel is that you do need to do your pre-trip homework,, but to some of us that is part of the fun. My main problem with most tours is that they try to crowd too much "touring" into a short period of time without giving you a chance to see the real Europe. A lot of the joy of visiting some cities (Rome, Paris, etc) is spending time at an outdoor cafe enjoying local cuisine, wine and people watching (this is how many Europeans enjoy themselves). Personally, when in Rome I would quickly give-up seeing some site in order to have time for lunch or a snack at one of the cafes in the Piazza Navona. But, I guess this is where the "different strokes for different folks" saying reigns surpreme.

Hank

Do you know Hank...I was just telling my husband that it was a bit aggravating in Livorno getting to Florence and we did miss Pisa on the way back due to pressures of time...we found the R2 bus very fast BUT it did not take us to the train station quickly, it went everywhere else for about 40 minutes and we were not thrilled...once in Florence we thought we did great, though it was a MONDAY and you know what that means...we did not see the DAVID...though we saw everything else.

So...I was just looking at the 85usd x 2 tour for next year, but you know...170usd for transportation ? I dont think so. I am too young, too smart and too able to settle for being robbed of 170.00 when the trip costs under 20 Euro .

Oh my gosh I have spent a whole weekend reading this entire post. When I find something I want to remember I paste it into a Word Doc where I am collecting all kind of info for my trip in Oct 2009. Thank you all very much and I know we will be armed with info to save us a lot of money.

DW and I have a bit of an advantage for our Med cruise. We are fluent in 3 languages; English, French & Italian and she is fluent in Spanish and I can carry a decent conversation. For this reason we will do our own excursions. Being able to converse in the language of the country does have its advantages and you won't stick out like a tourist.

• 1 month later...

Hank,

We have travelled to Europe many times - mainly land trips - and we normally do our sightseeing on our own.

This year we are doing a Transatlantic cruise in November which finishes in Ft. Lauderdale. Before we arrive there from Athens, we visit a number of unusual ports.

Here is the list and if you have any suggestions for any of these, I would appreciate your input.

Gabes - Tunisia.

Trapani - Italy

Palau - Italy

St. Tropez - France

Toulon - France

Almeira - Spain

Cadiz - Spain

Portimao - Portugal

Lanzarote - Canary Islands

Santa Cruz - La Palma

Funchai - Madeira

We are also going to Valletta but we are fine with that city and island.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jennie

I enjoy monitoring this board and reading everyone's advice. A few years ago I used to contribute lots of help here for those who wanted advice on how to do any of the European ports on their own (we have been to most of these places multiple times). I stopped most of my help because I got tired of being flamed by others who insisted that the only way to do anything is on an organized tour (this is true for some folks). However, given the very high price of tours (the low value dollar does not help) I am surprised to see almost everyone resigned to tours. Western Europe is pretty easy to navigate on your own although it helps to do some homework. The advantage of being on your own is you avoid the "cattle like" mentality of some tours, get to do what you want when you want with who you want, and usually you will save money. In fact, on a 12 day Med cruise you can easily save over $1000 (or more) by doing things independent of tours. The down side of independent travel is that you do need to do your pre-trip homework,, but to some of us that is part of the fun. My main problem with most tours is that they try to crowd too much "touring" into a short period of time without giving you a chance to see the real Europe. A lot of the joy of visiting some cities (Rome, Paris, etc) is spending time at an outdoor cafe enjoying local cuisine, wine and people watching (this is how many Europeans enjoy themselves). Personally, when in Rome I would quickly give-up seeing some site in order to have time for lunch or a snack at one of the cafes in the Piazza Navona. But, I guess this is where the "different strokes for different folks" saying reigns surpreme.

Hank

Hank, Thank you so much for this post. I was drawn to it immediately. My husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe, via a Cruise, in August. I have already begun to do my homework, and maybe I am naive or just plain determined, but I really do not feel overwhelmed by the thought of seeing all the sights on our own, as well as some "back country". The only part that is a bit intimidating to me is attempting to arrange the transportation to and from the destinations I have planned. We live in Wisconsin, so apart from a trip to NY where I was accompanied by someone who knew thier way around, I have never had to navigate a subway or train. I am nervous about my ability to understand the maps, take the correct train to where I want to go, and properly estimate the time needed to get to the destinations (so I can be sure to have enough time to do what I want to do there, and dun...dun...dun- Make it back to the ship in time!!! ;)) I hate to bore everyone with my plans, so could I e-mail you with my tentative plan and see if you could provide any insight? Or anyone else who may want to throw in thier 2 cents....

Thanks to all who provide feedback on this site- re: any topic. For first time European Travelers this site is a great resource. Thank you!

We've done lots of things on our own on cruises and have a couple of private tours lined up for our upcoming Greece cruise with people we met on CC.

In the Caribbean, DIY tours are definitely always cheaper.

However, I've emailed a couple of tour and/or taxi companies that were recommended on CC for Rhodes and Athens/Cape Sounion and found their prices were higher than the ship's tours. If a person is only looking at cost, they need to find another couple who they can rely on to share the cost so that they're not stuck paying double. Hank, I wonder if prices have gone up in Europe, despite what's going on in the world?

So, while I can appreciate a superior experience with a private tour, sometimes the budget simply doesn't allow for a superior price. Therefore, we'll be doing a combo of ports on private tour, ship's tours, and our own tours using local transportation.

As you say, whatever works, and we'll have a fabulous time regardless of the price tags.

"However, I've emailed a couple of tour and/or taxi companies that were recommended on CC for Rhodes and Athens/Cape Sounion and found their prices were higher than the ship's tours. If a person is only looking at cost, they need to find another couple who they can rely on to share the cost so that they're not stuck paying double. Hank, I wonder if prices have gone up in Europe, despite what's going on in the world? " (see full message above)

Hank,

Are you there?

I'm just beginning to read my way through this whole thread. Can't wait to grab all this good info. Just wanted to share the experience I had with booking a taxi tour in Athens. Based on information I read here and on Travel Advisor, I contacted Spiros athis website (see below).He is charging 150 euros (total) for a 5-hour taxi tour of Athens for just our party of three - which is the best price for the best service I found. Going to Cape Sounion adds another 100 Euros. He was kind enough to warn me that most of the extra time we would be paying for would be spent on the highway because the drive is 1 hr. 15 minutes each way.

Now back to all the good stuff I can learn from this thread!

D.

www.athenstaxi.com

Specifically how would you do Rome. Get off at St Peters station? Then what?

In Malaga have you ever taken the train/bus to Mijas and then to the Beach, that might be a nice change of pace?

And Cannes is there enough for an afternoon or would St Paul de Vence be a good plan?

Thanks so much, Karen

we did it and found out the bus we were on was the last one to get back. So, guess what? we had to head back to Malaga. Mijas is pretty but not much there. Bus ride is long and we saw no cabs, nothing.

Rather, I would take the train to any of the nice spots on costa del sol if you want to see the beach. Trains run every 20 minutes, are reliable and cheap. And the beach and boardwalk are awesome. Mijas is nice, but it is in the middle of nowhere and if you miss the bus that's where you are. Have a good trip Jacqui:D

"However, I've emailed a couple of tour and/or taxi companies that were recommended on CC for Rhodes and Athens/Cape Sounion and found their prices were higher than the ship's tours. If a person is only looking at cost, they need to find another couple who they can rely on to share the cost so that they're not stuck paying double. Hank, I wonder if prices have gone up in Europe, despite what's going on in the world? " (see full message above)

Hank,

Are you there?

Private tour/cars for the $ only are competitive when you fill the vehicle. For many operators if you can find 4 people for a car, 6 for a van or 10+ for a mini bus the $ per/person cost drops well below the most extravagant of the ship meg bus 40+ tours and you see so much more with a better overall experience. Private tours have the advantage of smaller group so you aren't waiting for the last of the 40 people to make the walk etc. Most important the vehicle in most European cities can drop you off much closer to all the attractions then any of the bus tours, also being private you pick the attractions and how long you stay at each. Given all the advantages it really makes sense to go Private to get the most out of your limited time in Port. DIY saves money, allows you to experience European mass transit ( sorry that isn't one of my personal must see's on a whirlwind 10 port/12 day cruise :rolleyes: ). For people that might be going to a city/port for the xth time maybe DIY makes sense as they've already seen most of the sights and they just want that leisure and cost efficient visit to hit their favorites, no question walking the back streets is a unique experience in every foreign city I've had the time to do it in. But on a cruise tour, walking back streets and experiencing mass transit seems to be the odd must do, no?

If it is a first visit, you've spent thousands on the ship, thousands on your air fare, why would a person short change Rome for example to DIY to save 100 euros? Just a counter opinion ;) :D

Edited by chipmaster

But on a cruise tour, walking back streets and experiencing mass transit seems to be the odd must do, no?

If it is a first visit, you've spent thousands on the ship, thousands on your air fare, why would a person short change Rome for example to DIY to save 100 euros? Just a counter opinion ;) :D

Well, for one thing, mass transit is often a more efficient and faster way of getting from point A to point B in Europe, where the infrastructure is so well established. You can get to Rome faster on the train in most cases than by driver, and taking the Metro from place to place is DEFINITELY quicker than sitting in the horrendous traffic clogging the city center. The same can be said for Athens metro. And the tram in Istanbul is just about the easiest (and definitely fastest) way to get to all of the main sights. In a car or bus you are at the mercy of traffic conditions that, at least for the cities I've mentioned, can be maddening to those with a limited amount of time.

Just a counter counter opinion! ;)

OK--for all you experienced "on your own" folks...

We would like to take the train to Florence and see a few highlights. Then--we would like to do some sort of Tuscany wine tour. Is this possible in one day? Port time will be 7-7. Anyone out there done this??? Having a hard time getting any feedback on this particular idea of mine--perhaps it is not possible?? Thanks!

OK--for all you experienced "on your own" folks...

We would like to take the train to Florence and see a few highlights. Then--we would like to do some sort of Tuscany wine tour. Is this possible in one day? Port time will be 7-7. Anyone out there done this??? Having a hard time getting any feedback on this particular idea of mine--perhaps it is not possible?? Thanks!

There is no possible way you can do this. The train is not a direct one from Florence back to the port. You have to at least stop in Pisa, and I think change trains. When you get back to Livorno, you need to take a bus or taxi back to the ship. The train schedules are subject to change, so plan on the travel time to be much more than you expect based on the schedule.

We nearly missed the ship on this day--and we weren't the only ones--EVERYONE was in a panic at Livorno train station.

Even if you rent a car, or hire a driver, the distance is too great.

Enjoy Florence--it is a beautiful city, there is so much there, even if you commit the entire day there, you will barely scratch the surface.

Or, go to wine country, either way, you will vow that you will return.

We've done most of our excursions ourselves. We just can't see paying the prices for private or ship excursions. We would rather use that money for more cruises.

Many of our trips mimic the excursions offered by the cruise line. We just use our own transportation, usually mass transit. The trains and subways are great and easy to use. We get around well, so walking tours our not out of the question.

As far as the language barrier goes, we have been all over Europe by car/train/ship, and I'm not fluent in any language, or even competent. But I do know how to ask people in their own language if they speak English, as well as hello, good day, please, and thank you. You will find most Europeans do know English, and are happy to speak with you and help you get around. Just be polite, use a little protocol, and try to speak a little of their language.

Doing things on your own can be very fun, and you get to see how the locals live and get around. Just do some good planning and don't try to do too much in a day. A trip to Florence from Livorno is easy to do by train. But trying to squeeze in Pisa or/and the Cinque Terra is just too much. We have overdone it before, and it made for a hectic (and hot and sweaty) day. All in all, we enjoying exploring on our own, and we have never missed the ship.

Hi Hlitner,

I have been looking for advice on doing Mediterranean ports on our own and would be so grateful for any help you can provide. We are a group of 10 family members ranging in age from 12 to 60. The ports we will be visiting are: Messina (Taormina), Livorno (Florence), Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples (Pompeii) and Portofino. The more I read on how to do these ports on your own, the more confused I get. A lot of writers seem to gloss over the details of the transportation. Specific information about the routes, fares etc... would be much appreciated!

We have been to Lisbon twice and this time would like to venture out of town. Does anyone have any advice and experience with taking the train to Sintra? Is it interesting? Is it easy? Is there somewhere else we should head?

Thanks

I've taken the train to Sintra while we were staying in Lisbon. Are you calling there for a port stop or staying there? The train is easy and cheap, but note that I would advise against women taking it unless you have a male companion. There were some people with mental problems on the train--and not just those pretending to have mental problems to get money--and it was a little scary. My husband is 6'1" and fairly buff, so no one messes with us. Just FYI.

My favorite in Sintra is Pena Palace. Note that it is a loooonnnnggg walk uphill, so you can take a taxi up. It's very interesting and unique. Sintra is quite a treat, but I don't know that I would do it in a port stop unless you have a really long port stop (one hour each way by train).

Hank,

Are you there?

Hank is a wonderful resource. He doesn't post when he's on long trips, and he's currently gone for a couple of months.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Edited by dbh62ark

Hi Hlitner,

I have been looking for advice on doing Mediterranean ports on our own and would be so grateful for any help you can provide. We are a group of 10 family members ranging in age from 12 to 60. The ports we will be visiting are: Messina (Taormina), Livorno (Florence), Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples (Pompeii) and Portofino. The more I read on how to do these ports on your own, the more confused I get. A lot of writers seem to gloss over the details of the transportation. Specific information about the routes, fares etc... would be much appreciated!

I did my entire Med cruise "on my own" I only visited two of the ports on your itinerary though:

Naples/Pompeii, which I hired a private driver--very expensive, but FABULOUS--not sure if I can "advertise" on the boards here--let me know if you want info.

I did Livorno/Florence/Pisa by public transportation:

I made a cheat sheet for myself--but the Livorno/Pisa/Florence(Firenze) goes like this: Take a bus, get your tickets, take another bus to the train station. Vailidate your ticket, find the train to take you direct to Firenze (Florence), or stop in Pisa (I think all trains go thru Pisa anyway).

The trip will take almost 2 hours each way--between getting off the ship, waiting for the shuttle (and for the shuttle to fill up), waiting in for tix, waiting for the bus, finding the right train, getting on the train, and the stops the train makes.

This site was particularly helpful:

[email=http://www.ftroute.com/liv_fir_liv.htm]http://www.ftroute.com/liv_fir_liv.htm[/email]

Hank

Hi Hank,

I am new to these boards so pardon me if I get this message in the wrong place or something, lol. My husband and I are going on a Med cruise in just 12 days and are very excited. We are doing some of the smaller venues on our own. For Rome we will take the ship's bus and then wander. Do you know if there is a hop on hop off that can be easily found and paid for when we arrive. I am a little leary of paying ahead for the one I found online and then not knowing where to find it. Am I making sense here?

Also we are thinking of doing Pisa and Lucca instead of rushing to Florence. How easy will this be to do from the ship? Can we take a bus and are they nearby the dock? Your help is appreciated.

Janet

I don't think Hank is around, but I believe if you do the ship bus into Rome (total waste of money IMO when the train is so cheap and easy, but to each his own) it will drop you near the Vatican. The HoHo bus stops right at the end of the boulevard that dead ends at St. Peter's Square--they are very easy to spot. If you have the basilica at your back, you're in the right spot. You can buy your tickets right on board, no need to pre-purchase.

IF you'd like to take the train, it is 9 euros r/t and gives you access to the metro and buses (not HoHo) while in Rome. You can get off at the San Pietro station and walk straight to the HoHo stop from there.

Hope this helps

Cathy