Hotel in Brooklyn

reps23

We are Phyllis and Lou from Wilmette, Illinois, cruising with my BIL and SIL  on Enchanted Princess October 1 out of Brooklyn.  We have cruised many times out of Florida and Europe but have never done a New England cruise and are looking forward to it.  Could anyone suggest hotels in Brooklyn that we should stay night before cruise.

Thanks for your help.

I much rather stay in Manhattan, lower Manhattan is really close to Brooklyn (just the other side of Brooklyn bridge) and lots more choices for hotels and restaurants, also you could walk to World Trade Center memorial.

28 minutes ago, George C said:

I much rather stay in Manhattan, lower Manhattan is really close to Brooklyn (just the other side of Brooklyn bridge) and lots more choices for hotels and restaurants, also you could walk to World Trade Center memorial.

Agree, any suggestions for Lower Manhattan hotel.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Definitely a better idea -and the ferry from Wall Street takes you to right next to the cruise terminal.

2 hours ago, reps23 said:

We are Phyllis and Lou from Wilmette, Illinois, cruising with my BIL and SIL  on Enchanted Princess October 1 out of Brooklyn.  We have cruised many times out of Florida and Europe but have never done a New England cruise and are looking forward to it.  Could anyone suggest hotels in Brooklyn that we should stay night before cruise.

Thanks for your help.

If you want to stay in Brooklyn I's suggest the new York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, but I also agree with the other posters who have suggested staying in Lower Manhattan because of the large selection of hotels and restaurants, as well as proximity to the 9/11 Memorial . 

Your budget would dictate specific hotel recommendations. You can go on any hotel booking engine such as expedia.com or hotels.com to get an idea of prices and availability .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Definitely a better idea -and the ferry from Wall Street takes you to right next to the cruise terminal.

Obviously, this depends on hotel location, but is it easy to get to ferry terminal? e.g. I assume it is a short taxi ride, are cabs reluctant to take this fare? Do hotels have shuttles to the pier.

Nyc hotels don't have shuttles to piers

A taxi is not allowed to say no to a fare

Just get in and then tell them where you want to go

We're staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Financial Center downtown and plan to take the ferry to the Brooklyn cruise port

It costs $3 per person and is supposedly a20 min ride

Edited by riffatsea
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Nyc hotels don't have shuttles to piers

A taxi is not allowed to say no to a fare

Just get in and then tell them where you want to go

We're staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Financial Center downtown and plan to take the ferry to the Brooklyn cruise port

It costs $3 per person and is supposedly a20 min ride

Should that be 2-minute ride?

28 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

The ferry is about a 20 minute ride

We may just walk to the ferry pier but not sure how short taxi ride would be. 5minutes?

Got it what dates are you going? We are Sep 19-20 one night for pre-cruise. As I look at dates, they are less for earlier dates. Don't know if that is because rates go lower as you approach date or if Sep 19 is a special time.

55 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

We're ther Aug 30 to,31,pre cruise

I'm surprised it's lower then as it s right at Labor Day weekend

On Google map hotels have an 'availability' link and as I bring the date sooner, week by week, rate goes down. I assume Sep 19 will be less a month from now. We just want a room overnight so lots of choices.

I think maybe other people have booked and there may be few rooms left

I am paying an AAA rate of$184 plus about $30 of taxes

All in the total for one night for 2mpeople in a king size bed is $215.79

Waaay less than what the web site shows for your date!!

2 hours ago, reps23 said:

Thank you all for your suggestions but my SIL has trouble walking so I think the ferry is out as we would have to pull our luggage.

I think your best choice under these circumstances is the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge because it is a full service property with a restaurant on premises. Also the location is safe. 

There are other properties in Brooklyn with lower rates but these are not full service properties and some of the areas are sketchy. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There is no such thing as a 2-minute ride in Manhattan (assuming you are going more than one block - but if it meant staying on the same block you would save time and money by walking).

Correct, the poster was referring to the 20-minute ferry ride and I mistook it for cab ride.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:17 PM, njhorseman said:

If you want to stay in Brooklyn I's suggest the new York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge * * *

I would agree that the Marriott is the standard bearer for Brooklyn. It is a large, full service, and relatively modern hotel in the center of downtown Brooklyn. There are several other hotels in downtown Brooklyn, all generally modern and fairly central and convenient, and should any of them offer a good price I would not shy away from them. A few people have suggested lower Manhattan instead. While lower Manhattan does have the convenience of a ferry to the Brooklyn cruise terminal, the main reason to stay in lower Manhattan is because you're either there on Wall Street or government business, or you're a tourist seeking to ride the tourist circuit. If neither applies, then there's no substantial reason to consider lower Manhattan. Enjoy Brooklyn.

10 hours ago, GTJ said:

I would agree that the Marriott is the standard bearer for Brooklyn. It is a large, full service, and relatively modern hotel in the center of downtown Brooklyn. There are several other hotels in downtown Brooklyn, all generally modern and fairly central and convenient, and should any of them offer a good price I would not shy away from them. A few people have suggested lower Manhattan instead. While lower Manhattan does have the convenience of a ferry to the Brooklyn cruise terminal, the main reason to stay in lower Manhattan is because you're either there on Wall Street or government business, or you're a tourist seeking to ride the tourist circuit. If neither applies, then there's no substantial reason to consider lower Manhattan. Enjoy Brooklyn.

Does the flat rate taxi fare from JFK also apply for rides to Brooklyn?

If not then that's another reason to stay in lower Manhattan

38 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Does the flat rate taxi fare from JFK also apply for rides to Brooklyn?

If not then that's another reason to stay in lower Manhattan

The flat rate only applies to taxi rides between JFK and Manhattan in either direction. Taxi rides to Brooklyn are metered.

However you can get a flat rate ride from JFK to Brooklyn by booking Uber, Lyft or a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7.

12 hours ago, GTJ said:

While lower Manhattan does have the convenience of a ferry to the Brooklyn cruise terminal, the main reason to stay in lower Manhattan is because you're either there on Wall Street or government business, or you're a tourist seeking to ride the tourist circuit. If neither applies, then there's no substantial reason to consider lower Manhattan. Enjoy Brooklyn.

These are all good reasons to stay in lower Manhattan -- as opposed to little reason to stay in Brooklyn.

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Suggestions for Manhattan Financial district - want to do 9/11 memorial.

Obviously I  don't know your tastes and budget, but my son and DIL  have stayed at and were satisfied with the World Center Hotel and the Club Quarters Hotel World Trade Center, which are both located in the same building and are just a stone's throw from the 9/11 memorial. 

• Like 1