Saint Greg's Splendor - Seattle to Alaska - Live - May 24-31

Saint Greg

Regarding the external charger that stopped working after one use. I told the seller what happened and she issued me a full refund. I bought another one from a different seller for about half the price. I guess we’ll see if less is more in New York.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I could’ve saved you some time. Just smell your ranch dressing. If smells funky…and it isn’t expired…smell your ketchup and jalapeños. If your ketchup and jalapeños smell the same as your ranch, COVID positive. If they don’t, COVID negative…but throw throw that funky ranch away!

That could be a good song.

Throw the funky ranch away boy.

Throw that funky ranch awaaaaaay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Man, I am getting really nervous about my July 13 Spirit sailing. Nervous about me or my boyfriend catching covid and not being able to go. But also nervous that they will change the rules again or even cancel cruises 

Edited by land64shark

1 hour ago, land64shark said:

Man, I am getting really nervous about my July 13 Spirit sailing. Nervous about me or my boyfriend catching covid and not being able to go. But also nervous that they will change the rules again or even cancel cruises 

At least you know about it ahead of time. I didn’t know there was a problem on the two cruises prior to mine. If you haven’t gotten your booster, I’d get it. I don’t know if it helped or not but I’ve had about as easy of a covid week as you could hope for. Try your best to avoid crowded situations. As long as it’s mostly impacting people getting off of the ship I don’t think carnival will do anything about it. If it hits the crew hard maybe they will.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

That was a nice turnaround btw. I did the full lab PCR not a quickie. Collected on a Sunday afternoon and I got the result on Monday evening.

Do you know how long the positive test result will work for eliminating the need to take a test before a cruise?  I'm glad you are recovering quickly👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

At least you know about it ahead of time. I didn’t know there was a problem on the two cruises prior to mine. If you haven’t gotten your booster, I’d get it. I don’t know if it helped or not but I’ve had about as easy of a covid week as you could hope for. Try your best to avoid crowded situations. As long as it’s mostly impacting people getting off of the ship I don’t think carnival will do anything about it. If it hits the crew hard maybe they will.

It's definitely something to be aware of, and I must admit it's a concern, but it will not stop us from going on our Alaskan cruise in July! I just hope if we end up with Covid again, we are able to finish the cruise and get home first, like you did. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It isn't. There are a bunch testing positive out of Galveston as well.

And it's not just related to cruise ships either.  I know so many people who have tested positive in the last month (and none have been on cruises).  We have new cases every week at work.  I have a family member, retired, who hardly leaves the house, tested positive about 2 weeks ago.  Yes, people are coming back from cruises and getting sick ... because it's everywhere.

• Like 3

Saint Greg, I was reading your posts as we were going to Alaska for the first time May 29th. Had the Halibut Pizza on your suggestion & it was great. Missed the last of your review until we got back on the 5th of June & see you tested positive. Hoping you feel better soon & hoping my hubby's cough that started last night and headache this morning isn't the beginning of the same. We wore masks everywhere  we went, except when seated and didn't have to fly as it was a home port. Not  Carnival cruise this time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, eltigre said:

Saint Greg, I was reading your posts as we were going to Alaska for the first time May 29th. Had the Halibut Pizza on your suggestion & it was great. Missed the last of your review until we got back on the 5th of June & see you tested positive. Hoping you feel better soon & hoping my hubby's cough that started last night and headache this morning isn't the beginning of the same. We wore masks everywhere  we went, except when seated and didn't have to fly as it was a home port. Not  Carnival cruise this time. 

Has he smelled the ranch yet?

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, eltigre said:

Well now, the fever 103 and 2 at home tests that are positive... so me thinks the ranch is next?

It’s a safe bet he’s positive at that point. I’d be careful with that fever.

• Like 3

Here are a bunch of videos I didn’t get to post live. Think I have some more with whales and whatnot but this is what I got uploaded today.

Alchemist FJ

icy strait transporter

Say Play

Red dog saloon juneau

Juneau sailaway

bald eagle

Totem poles

Ketchikan sail away

Say Play

crew at debarkation presentation 

takeoff at seatac

landing at dfw

• Like 8

On 5/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, Saint Greg said:

641E60C8-AADD-4320-A8F1-42CAB65528D6.jpeg

A405A4F9-F6E5-48C3-BF5D-7D0A97F11E0C.jpeg

Talkeetna - Home of Denali Brewing

Wow Denali beer is cheaper in Ketchikan than Talkeetna...

Agave Gold & Single Engine are 2 of my faves...

Stopped into Denali Brew Pub for dinner tonight & had a lovely Louisville Sour. 

2 of John’s faves are Mother Ale & Twister Creek IPA.  

We have totally opposite beer tastes. 

But we both enjoy Agave Gold...

Fell behind again...

I’m still finishing up the review.  

Great job Greg!

Currently on Pg 71 of 96...

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 3

On 6/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, Saint Greg said:

I decided it was probably best to go ahead and get this while I can in case I need it. I’ll see if I can get a letter of recovery from my doctor.

3C47BC67-D2CE-4EB9-80BE-ADAE79B32EEE.thumb.jpeg.77e8f15c7a3fe30a85a0f1a26af900d6.jpeg

Probably the only time getting tested that you're HOPING to get a positive result!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Luckily, just tested negative for our 3-day cruise on Radiance on Friday. Just waiting for DH results. 

ETA: Hubby is negative too, so I guess we DO get to sail. I'll fire up a review thread soon, first time in an Ocean Balcony on Radiance. 

Edited by Wanna_Cruize
I'm an idiot
  • Like 10

On 5/31/2022 at 10:05 AM, Saint Greg said:

Get through security and think. Gate N1 it should be right there. No. I had to go down two escalators. Take a train. Then go up one escalator.

9F339BEE-3FAC-4E0A-90E6-AA1C018298F9.jpeg

AEBD9098-57A6-42F9-9B2C-C4AB1C086DFF.jpeg

Welcome to SEA & many of AK Air gates 🙂

Up to page 86...

Edited by Von & John
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:01 AM, Saint Greg said:

Never would’ve thought I’d get sun on an Alaskan cruise. I look just like I do when I come back from the Caribbean. My face has a pinkish hue. A rosey glow.

Page 87 now...

"Sun Effect"

And yes - due to the angle & being just a little closer to the sun...

Many tans/burns year round!!!

Alaska has powerful rays 🙂

And - at this time of year - in Talkeetna, we are @ 19 1/2 hours of SUN!

More to come by Solstice...

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 3:47 AM, Hogladyrider said:

@Saint Greg....another TOP NOTCH REVIEW....thanks for all you do for us fellow cruisers.

Always enjoy seeing Alaska from another cruisers views!

Sounds like your Alaska cruise wet your appetite for Alaska as mine did.  Someday you should consider an interior trip, that would blow your socks off!  Denali is massive and wildlife abundant.  Check out Alaska Wildlife Adventures they do small group tours.  We did the 7 day Denali tour in 2014, 16 people with our own driver....of course no Alchemy is on an interior tour!

See you over on The TRIBE!

Just warning you...

My first trip to Alaska was a Land Vacation only...

That was AUG 2000...

May 2001 started my move to Alaska 🙂 

I do advise both cruise & land visits...

We've done 2 Alaskan cruises - since moving here...

We'd do more - but we really prefer not to leave Alaska in the summer, if we don't have to...

We've also been to all the cruise locations & many others via vehicle ( Multiple Trips - Mustang, Jeep & Truck), flights & ferries, except Icy Point...

Someday we'll get to Icy Point...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Just warning you...

My first trip to Alaska was a Land Vacation only...

That was AUG 2000...

May 2001 started my move to Alaska 🙂 

I do advise both cruise & land visits...

We've done 2 Alaskan cruises - since moving here...

We'd do more - but we really prefer not to leave Alaska in the summer, if we don't have to...

We've also been to all the cruise locations & many others via vehicle ( Multiple Trips - Mustang, Jeep & Truck), flights & ferries, except Icy Point...

Someday we'll get to Icy Point...

The first time I ate in the MDR I was seated next to a couple from Alaska. This was on a Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston. I have no idea why they picked Galveston. It wasn't even Galveston's best ship it was Freedom...Anyway I told them I wanted to go on a cruise in Alaska and they thought I was crazy. I don't remember what part of Alaska they were from. I remember I had the Mahi Mahi though.

• Haha 6