Amtrak Announces No Seattle-Vancouver, BC Trains Until Late 2022

Amtrak announces no train service to Canada until late 2022

Amtrak staffing shortages delay Seattle-Vancouver, B.C. service resumption

Amtrak informed the states of Washington and Oregon that the popular Amtrak Cascades train service north of Seattle will not resume until late 2022 due to Amtrak staffing shortages.

WSDOT and ODOT expressed extreme dissatisfaction with this plan and urged Amtrak to at least begin offering service a few days a week on an interim basis until full service can resume in December 2022. Amtrak noted it is committed to an earlier start date if employee resources allow.

Several staff positions need to be filled including conductors, on-board service staff, and mechanics. Progress is being made in recruiting necessary staff; however, once hired, they must complete extensive training programs before starting their jobs.  

This route – serving Seattle, Edmonds, Everett, Stanwood, Mount Vernon, Bellingham and Vancouver, BC – has been suspended since May 2020 when the Canadian border closed to non-essential travel. Daily bus service between Seattle and Vancouver, BC, and between Seattle and Bellingham, will continue to be offered through the Amtrak ticketing system.

Email updates on the Amtrak Cascades service are available by free subscription. Those interested in working for Amtrak should apply at: www.careers.amtrak.com.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunate and frustrating news from the Amtrak folks regarding train service between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.  Hoping that our fellow CCer's read this and either book the bus with Amtrak, or make other travel plans (Quick Bus or a flight from SeaTac).  Wishing the best to all dealing with this disappointing travel surprise.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

The Amtrak bus is still the best and fastest way to get to Vancouver vs Quickshuttle.  If Quickshuttle offers express svc from the vanc dock then do that but otherwise the timeing of the Amtrak bus to and from Vanc and Sea actually makes it an ok option.  I'm hoping things will change and negotiations continue as Amtrak gets funds from WA and OR and officials aren't happy.

• Thanks 1

I cancelled the Amtrak bus fir the Quick Shuttle just because they pick up at the port and drop off at the airport.  Timing wasn’t as good as the Amtrak service (had to rebook a later flight home ) but turns out to be cheaper and more efficient for us.

As a FIY:   we travel light—just one suitcase and backpack.  Quick Services charges $20/person for each additional bag.  Amtrak allows two bags per person on the bus at no added cost.

I'm very disappointed. It's a beautiful ride along the coast. Last time, I saw several eagles on a beach and flying around. The entry into Canada at the train station is always easy. Just show your paperwork and you're good to go. 

Has anyone taken the Cantrail bus? What's the procedure at the border? Do we have to get off the bus, show our paperwork and then get back on? What about luggage, is it inspected? Can you take any personal stuff into the bus with you? I know that the bus won't have the large overhead racks the train has, but is there any kind of storage?

On 5/14/2022 at 8:17 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Unfortunate and frustrating news from the Amtrak folks regarding train service between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.  Hoping that our fellow CCer's read this and either book the bus with Amtrak, or make other travel plans (Quick Bus or a flight from SeaTac).  Wishing the best to all dealing with this disappointing travel surprise.

Have a solo cruise in August and was considering the bus, is the Fairhaven station the one closest to the start of Chuckanut Drive and is there ample parking?  Much easier for me to cross the border and go from there than drive to Vancouver to board.

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Has anyone taken the Cantrail bus? What's the procedure at the border? Do we have to get off the bus, show our paperwork and then get back on? What about luggage, is it inspected? Can you take any personal stuff into the bus with you? I know that the bus won't have the large overhead racks the train has, but is there any kind of storage?

All bus services are treated exactly the same at the border, so expect to take ALL your stuff inside and be pleasantly surprised if they don't ask you to. Storage-wise it's a typical long-distance touring coach that Cantrail uses, so enough space underneath to handle 2 suitcases per passenger - and given many folks using it are doing short trips to Seattle without much luggage there should be ample space. Regular overhead shelves are present, so backpacks or even small carryons should fit.

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Has anyone taken Quick Bus before to give any reviews?

Yes, but many years ago and I've avoided them ever since - but realistically the majority of folks find their service just fine, it is convenient for cruisers with the pier to pier or airport service. Since they actually added WiFi rather than deliberately misleading pax by naming their 'we put movies on the tv screen' service 'Y-Fi' so when you heard it said you thought you had internet access, I've downgraded their weasel-rating ;-)

Edited by martincath