Balloon ride crash landed (Holland)

Purchased GeoBlue Trekker Choice policy thanks to becoming aware of the importance of trip insurance via this forum

Extra thanks to @Hlitner @erdoran @Jersey42 @AlanF65  and the Trip Insurance Store professionals

- the articulate, thorough, and thoughtful brainiac,  Steve Dasseos @iamtrustworthy, and awesome team Kim and Deanna.

They answered a couple remaining questions and made the purchase easy.

— Trip recap 

Holland in April - amazing.

Tulips + land - stunning.

King's Day - fun! 

Dutch people - so kind.  The Dutch seem innately happy.  

Then… final adventure before leaving:

One breathtaking balloon ride.

Balloon ride crash landed.

Shoulder motion --> pain.  Hoped it would be temporary.

Could not put airplane carry-on in overhead without help.

Xray - nothing broken. Yay!  Maybe it will just heal? 

Lots of shoulder pain still.

Range of motion limited.

Scheduled MRI.

—  MRI findings

Torn rotator cuff. 

“IMPRESSION:

1. Full-thickness rotator cuff tear of the conjoined tendon junction of the supraspinatus / infraspinatus tendons at the footplate attachment without retraction or muscle atrophy.
  2. Moderate degenerative arthrosis of the AC joint.
  3. Fluid in the subacromial-subdeltoid bursa in keeping with a full-thickness rotator cuff tear.
  4. Increased signal intensity at the posterior/superior labral junction suggesting degenerative tearing.”

— Surgery next Friday.

Procedures listed on the surgery sheet:   LEFT SHOULDER A/S RTC REPAIR, SAD, DCE, BT"

Asked the surgical coordinator what each acronym meant.  She wrote:

Rotator Cuff Repair (RCR)

Subacromial Decompression (SAD)

Distal Clavicle Excision (DCE)

Biceps Tenodesis (BT)

— Yesterday 

Just received all the phone calls about the co-pays.

Wow.

Huge surgery center co-pay.

--- Phone call w/ nurse re: What to expect after surgery:

6 weeks - in a shoulder immobilizer “Ultra-Sling by DonJoy”. "...so you must keep you elbow near your ribs."

Https://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/ultrasling-pro

12 weeks - in something else I didn’t write down.

I stopped thinking clearly after seeing that sling.

Can’t visualize getting dressed successfully.

Thoughts of 6 weeks in same tee-shirt.

Trying to breathe deeply,  think calmly.

--- Next

Call GeoBlue Trekker Choice on Monday.

I remember the advice:  "keep all your paperwork".  

Request: 

Could you please be psychic and share the insights you know or have already said here?

Especially what I'm forgetting in the fog of pain and feeling overwhelmed?

Need to start receipt tracking.   So many channels for receipts.  Online only.  Paper only. etc

Most efficient way to deal with receipts? 

Started critical ToDo list to prepare for life with 1 arm for a long while. 

Time needed to complete list is now >  than available minutes ( now - next Friday at 6:00 am)

--- if you'd rather email me than reply here

my public CruiseCritic gmail prefix is:  TravelInsuranceCompared @ gmail.com

Created that eons ago when I had grand plans to create a matrix of insurances vs features to ask CC'ers to add to it.  I verified I can still access it.  

Instead, I just read this forum thoroughly.  Matrix became unnecessary for a decision after asking Steve D. my questions.

If I don't personally reply to your email please ping me here in a reply.

Edited by SempreMare

Oh dear, SempreMare,

FIrst, I'm glad you are basically "OKAY", even if not fully intact.

About the post-op.  You will probably need help with a lot of daily activities.
But no need to wear that same t-shirt for 6 weeks! 😱 😉 

There are "recovery" types of clothing that have snaps or velcro closures that allow you to open the shoulder entirely.  I'll try to find a link.  (I have a few that I didn't need, as surgery, yes, rotator cuff, was cancelled and seems to be on permanent hold - that's both good and bad...)

Try Googling "rotator cuff surgery clothing" and see what comes up in the meantime.

Do you have someone who can stay with you for at least the first day or two, until you see how you are doing, and what you can/cannot do?

Check with Steve about whether some extra help, IF NEEDED, would be covered, even if your regular health insurance wouldn't.

For a totally different medical claim, we found Travel Insured very helpful in terms of covering what was needed.  However, that was while we were still traveling, so the costs not only helped us, but also probably kept TI from needing to pay much more if we had to fly home early and need reimbursement for the rest of the trip, etc.  Still, we never found them difficult to deal with, as long as there was appropriate documentation and medical need (per physician statements, etc.).

Good luck.

I'll be thinking of you!

ETA: Here is a link:

https://www.reboundwear.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpv2TBhDoARIsALBnVnlG0ZZ6GA3dbF4ww8sCFSaj72y3wPO1sa9TR0otaU9c9GBPAm-omRoaAod3EALw_wcB

Hmmm.... what size are you?

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

Sorry to hear of your accident and impending surgery and long recovery.

I am assuming you are at home now and receiving treatment in the US. I’m not sure how GeoBlue works, but there is some language in the policy that concerns me. 

Under “Exclusions,” it lists cost of treatment in home country as well as flight in ultra-light air craft, parasailing, hang gliding or aircraft not licensed for passengers. Balloons are not directly mentioned, but it could be a problem.

Also, Trip Coverage ends when the policy holder alights from conveyance returning from foreign trip.

Please let us know how this works out.

Edited by Babr

Hmmm...perhaps as Babr states, there won't be travel insurance coverage once you are back home. But double check on that.  I had never thought about that particular situation even if it's related to the travel injury.

Again, hope you have a reasonable recovery.

And I hope you aren't in dreadful pain now.  

I had agonizing pain for a while, and there was no identifiable accident.  They said it could be "age". (Two years later, guess what happened to the other shoulder... but thank goodness not as bad.  Sigh.)

Thank goodness, my pain is usually pretty well controlled nowadays. I'm very high risk surgery, so if things are tolerable, we do *not* operate, etc., for anything...

Regards,

GC

Wow!  I prefer to post here (rather then do private messages) since it benefits others and also let’s others correct me…if I err.  In terms of medical coverage I believe that GeoBlue is not responsible for medical bills (or co pays) once you have returned to the USA.   If you incurred additional transportation cost to get home they would likely deny a claim since you were not an inpatient and/or did not seek emergency evacuation in advance of the flight.  GeoBlue is not “trip insurance” but rather trip “medical insurance.”    That is the bad news.  

The good news is that you are home (that is the impression I get from your post.  

Thinking out loud I do wonder if you can get financial help or an insurance settlement from your balloon tour operator.  This issue is completely outside my own knowledge but might be worth exploring.  I am curious if Steve Dasseos has any experience/advice along these lines.  It is possible that the balloon tour operator has insurance but we can only begin to imagine the complications regarding an international claim/liability Issue.

Hank

PS.  I do wish you a speedy and full recovery from the injury

@GeezerCouple !  Gah!  My apologies -

I 100% should have included you in original list.  I added names from a single thread that I read a lot, and now can't edit you in to above list.  You have written so many helpful replies.

>> FIrst, I'm glad you are basically "OKAY", even if not fully intact.

YES.  Balloon ride was surprisingly quiet and felt wind-less when at the highest points.  Stunning beauty and serenity.

Will do as you suggest re: extra help. 

Definitely will be needed.   

4 family have died in past 2 years + 1 local dear friend while helping a disabled motorist. 

Friend's death was actually the most difficult to take.  I thought I was being punked when I received The Call.

Then in Q4 last year: 

Routine mammogram --> call back imaging --> stereotactic breast biopsy -->  bilateral mastectomy.

Sutured each side from sternum to behind shoulder.  Chose "aesthetic flat closure".
Recovery:  any twisting motion felt like I was being stabbed repeatedly.  Random bees sting feelings for months.   I told my surgeon, "Hey, great job with the incision, but why did you inject bumble bees into my thoracic cavity before closure?" 

Net:  I now know I can handle lots of physical pain.     The breast surgeon was adamantly against prescribing narcotics.  Instead, she prescribed 2 Tylenol then 2 Advil every 8 hours.  

On my long term ToDo list: 

• Start rebuilding my life.
  • Start playing the lottery.  (Kidding.  Mostly kidding.) 

re:  Size

Before I left I purchased Old Navy men's Medium long sleeve shirts that fit well as extra warmth layer for the 50-ish degree April Holland weather.  Yes, I am femalle.  But Old Navy men's long sleeve shirts create a wonderfully soft extra layer + the longer sleeves to roll down and help keep hands warm when needed. 

Nurse said to find a a top 2 sizes larger so I just ordered this arriving tomorrow in XL after looking at what you linked.

32 minutes ago, Babr said:

Under “Exclusions,” it lists cost of treatment in home country

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

In terms of medical coverage I believe that GeoBlue is not responsible for medical bills (or co pays) once you have returned to the USA.  

Darn...

Edited by SempreMare

On 5/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, SempreMare said:

Purchased GeoBlue Trekker Choice policy thanks to becoming aware of the importance of trip insurance via this forum

Extra thanks to @Hlitner @erdoran @Jersey42 @AlanF65  and the Trip Insurance Store professionals

- the articulate, thorough, and thoughtful brainiac,  Steve Dasseos @iamtrustworthy, and awesome team Kim and Deanna.

They answered a couple remaining questions and made the purchase easy.

Holland in April - amazing.

Tulips + land - stunning.

King's Day - fun! 

Dutch people - so kind.  The Dutch seem innately happy.  

Then… final adventure before leaving:

One breathtaking balloon ride.

Balloon ride crash landed.

Shoulder motion --> pain.  Hoped it would be temporary.

Hi SempreMare,

I'm sorry about the delay responding. I hope you get better fast.

Geo Blue said "As long as it was not a competition, Hot Air Ballooning is not listed as an exclusion".

Steve Dasseos

— Surgery next Friday.

Procedures listed on the surgery sheet:   LEFT SHOULDER A/S RTC REPAIR, SAD, DCE, BT"

Hi again,

Was your surgery today (or *next* Friday)?

If so, hope it went well and that your recovery also goes well.

🙂 

WIth wishes for as comfortable a recovery as possible...

GC 

• 3 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 6:02 PM, SempreMare said:

@GeezerCouple !  Gah!  My apologies -

I 100% should have included you in original list.  I added names from a single thread that I read a lot, and now can't edit you in to above list.  You have written so many helpful replies.

>> FIrst, I'm glad you are basically "OKAY", even if not fully intact.

YES.  Balloon ride was surprisingly quiet and felt wind-less when at the highest points.  Stunning beauty and serenity.

Will do as you suggest re: extra help. 

Definitely will be needed.   

4 family have died in past 2 years + 1 local dear friend while helping a disabled motorist. 

Friend's death was actually the most difficult to take.  I thought I was being punked when I received The Call.

Then in Q4 last year: 

Routine mammogram --> call back imaging --> stereotactic breast biopsy -->  bilateral mastectomy.

Sutured each side from sternum to behind shoulder.  Chose "aesthetic flat closure".
Recovery:  any twisting motion felt like I was being stabbed repeatedly.  Random bees sting feelings for months.   I told my surgeon, "Hey, great job with the incision, but why did you inject bumble bees into my thoracic cavity before closure?" 

Net:  I now know I can handle lots of physical pain.     The breast surgeon was adamantly against prescribing narcotics.  Instead, she prescribed 2 Tylenol then 2 Advil every 8 hours.  

On my long term ToDo list: 

• Start rebuilding my life.
  • Start playing the lottery.  (Kidding.  Mostly kidding.) 

re:  Size

Before I left I purchased Old Navy men's Medium long sleeve shirts that fit well as extra warmth layer for the 50-ish degree April Holland weather.  Yes, I am femalle.  But Old Navy men's long sleeve shirts create a wonderfully soft extra layer + the longer sleeves to roll down and help keep hands warm when needed. 

Nurse said to find a a top 2 sizes larger so I just ordered this arriving tomorrow in XL after looking at what you linked.

Hello again,

I just stumbled across this thread again, and realized that time flies, and... we hadn't heard from you.

Did everything go well?

GC