Current Italy quarantine rules

Susanb10567

I know things change constantly in the cruise restart..but my PIF is coming up for our Greek cruise out of Rome in September…before reading all the isolation reports I was positive I wanted to go…but I am getting super anxious…I’ve read somewhere that you might not be able to leave quarantine for 21 days if you don’t test negative…that would be so long to be away. I had originally thought it would be 10 days would be the longest…already my family has told me they are going to cancel…I just want to be well informed for the current protocols.

2 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

I know things change constantly in the cruise restart..but my PIF is coming up for our Greek cruise out of Rome in September…before reading all the isolation reports I was positive I wanted to go…but I am getting super anxious…I’ve read somewhere that you might not be able to leave quarantine for 21 days if you don’t test negative…that would be so long to be away. I had originally thought it would be 10 days would be the longest…already my family has told me they are going to cancel…I just want to be well informed for the current protocols.

What is the source of your information about the 21 days in quarantine? On the US embassy website for Italy, I only see the following info:

Quarantine Information:

• Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? In some instances
    • Travelers from the United States unable to present a valid vaccination, recovery certificate or negative test result will have to self-isolate on arrival for five days and undergo a molecular PCR or rapid antigen test at the end of the isolation.

You are basically self-quarantining -- who is it that you think would be testing and requiring you to stay in quarantine?

The real issue to me would be that -- regardless of quarantine procedures -- you will have to obtain a negative test prior to flying back to the US, which given your profile would seem to be your return destination.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

…I’ve read somewhere that you might not be able to leave quarantine for 21 days if you don’t test negative…

I think this 21 days is more related to the rare possibility you continue to test positive on a PCR even though you would no longer be transmitting the virus. I have read a few discussions about this on the Italian Tripadvisor forum and what the answer seemed to be is organise to get a certificate of recovery which you can get after 7 days I think. 

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The real issue to me would be that -- regardless of quarantine procedures -- you will have to obtain a negative test prior to flying back to the US, which given your profile would seem to be your return destination.

cruisemom42 I think this is the concern, the testing positive prior to leaving overseas, especially if at the airport and ending up in a quarantine hotel. From what I have read the recommendation is to do the testing at a pharmacy so if you do test positive you might have a chance of quarantining at your accommodation.

11 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I think this 21 days is more related to the rare possibility you continue to test positive on a PCR even though you would no longer be transmitting the virus. I have read a few discussions about this on the Italian Tripadvisor forum and what the answer seemed to be is organise to get a certificate of recovery which you can get after 7 days I think. 

cruisemom42 I think this is the concern, the testing positive prior to leaving overseas, especially if at the airport and ending up in a quarantine hotel. From what I have read the recommendation is to do the testing at a pharmacy so if you do test positive you might have a chance of quarantining at your accommodation.

Yes…I was concerned about testing positive for the return flight home to the US… I am just confused as to how long you have to isolate in Italy …if you don’t test negative..and how long you would have to isolate on the ship before you would be able to get a recovery certificate if you are still testing positive but no symptoms…

it is all so confusing and I am starting to think that I don’t have the stomach to travel to Europe this summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

Yes…I was concerned about testing positive for the return flight home to the US… I am just confused as to how long you have to isolate in Italy …if you don’t test negative..and how long you would have to isolate on the ship before you would be able to get a recovery certificate if you are still testing positive but no symptoms…

it is all so confusing and I am starting to think that I don’t have the stomach to travel to Europe this summer.

Susanb10567, you and me, both.  If I lived closer, perhaps; but I'm from the USA as well.  I am waiting to see what unfolds over the next month or so.

3 hours ago, marazul said:

Marazul I am not able to see the article behind the paywall, but thank you for posting it.  If anyone could cut/paste a little bit of it as it pertains to Italy I'd be grateful. 

• Like 1

The NY Times article suggests checking with the US Embassy to Rome for current information on Italy and gives this link: List of U.S. Embassies and Consulates (state.gov)

It goes on to suggest ways to obtain a certificate of recovery in order to travel and gives a link to CDC's airline check list:  Airline Checklist: How to Confirm Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination and Negative Qualifying Test Results or Documentation of Recovery from COVID-19 (Print-only) (cdc.gov)

They suggest telemed services like Quick MD to help obtain proof.

They suggest carrying printed out copies of all documentation and of the CDC guidelines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks eurocruiser.

To summarize the rules in  Airline Checklist: How to Confirm Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination and Negative Qualifying Test Results or Documentation of Recovery from COVID-19 (Print-only) (cdc.gov), to get back into the USA you (US citizen or permanent resident) must:

1. Present a negative COVID test taken no more than 1 day before flight departure

OR

2. Documentation of Recovery which consists of two parts:

a.  A positive (you had COVID) viral COVID test showing where it was taken, done within the last 90 days, and identifying you (name and DOB matching your passport), AND

b.  A signed letter from a health care provider or public health official stating that you are cleared for travel.  The letter must be on an official letterhead showing the name, address and phone number of the issuer.

You do not need to show a negative test if you have Documentation of Recovery.

The signed letter can be from a provider in the country you are in or a tele health provider back home

According to the US Embassy's website, you need to isolate between 7 and 21 days at your own expense.  The length really depends on when the health provider clears you.

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2

https://www.cbs8.com/video/news/health/coronavirus/carlsbad-woman-forced-to-quarantine-in-italy-after-testing-positive-for-covid/509-4ea7ffb1-44cd-45cc-9c27-13f4ef4bd371

How long - if you're on a cruise - do you have to stay in quarantine if you've tested positive? 

If you travel afterwards in Italy, and find out you're positive, how long do you stay before you qualify for a certificate of recovery?  Because in order to travel back to the US, you need to be negative or have the Certificate of Recovery.  

Many stay post cruise to tour.  If you test at the Rome airport and are positive, and don't have alternate quarantine plans in place, I believe you get taken to the government hotel to quarantine. Reports I've read of people that were taken to this hotel is that after 7 days you're tested, then every 48 hours thereafter.  Max 21 days is Italy's rules.  So how do you break through their rules and come up with a 10 day max?  I'm hearing its quite harsh and restrictive at that hotel.   

Edited by mickeysgal

2 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

So how do you break through their rules and come up with a 10 day max?  I'm hearing its quite harsh and restrictive at that hotel.   

"According to the US Embassy's website, you need to isolate between 7 and 21 days at your own expense.  The length really depends on when the health provider clears you.

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/"

see post #10 above.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Many stay post cruise to tour.  If you test at the Rome airport and are positive, and don't have alternate quarantine plans in place, I believe you get taken to the government hotel to quarantine. Reports I've read of people that were taken to this hotel is that after 7 days you're tested, then every 48 hours thereafter.  Max 21 days is Italy's rules.  So how do you break through their rules and come up with a 10 day max?  I'm hearing its quite harsh and restrictive at that hotel.   

Why not plan around this eventuality by getting tested before you get to the airport? At a pharmacy near where you are staying or remotely using your laptop, tablet or phone?  If you test positive, no one is going to "alert" the Italian government. It just means you will have to make plans to self-quarantine there until you test negative or can get your certificate of recovery.

This was the plan I had in mind when I recently got off a cruise in Southampton. Rather than flying out "day of", I booked a night at an airport hotel, then made arrangements to test remotely with monitoring once I was checked into my room. Luckily I tested negative (as the majority will), but had I not, I already had a plan in mind re: moving to a different hotel in London. Granted in London there are few restrictions but I would've stayed somewhere where I could order decent room service, could get out and walk around and/or sit in a nearby park, etc. 

I find it a little difficult to believe that everyone who tests at the airport in Rome, and gets a positive result, is handed over to officials for quarantine...?   Unfortunately I cannot access the link posted.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Why not plan around this eventuality by getting tested before you get to the airport? At a pharmacy near where you are staying or remotely using your laptop, tablet or phone?  If you test positive, no one is going to "alert" the Italian government. It just means you will have to make plans to self-quarantine there until you test negative or can get your certificate of recovery.

This was the plan I had in mind when I recently got off a cruise in Southampton. Rather than flying out "day of", I booked a night at an airport hotel, then made arrangements to test remotely with monitoring once I was checked into my room. Luckily I tested negative (as the majority will), but had I not, I already had a plan in mind re: moving to a different hotel in London. Granted in London there are few restrictions but I would've stayed somewhere where I could order decent room service, could get out and walk around and/or sit in a nearby park, etc. 

I find it a little difficult to believe that everyone who tests at the airport in Rome, and gets a positive result, is handed over to officials for quarantine...?   Unfortunately I cannot access the link posted.

That’s certainly an option . One that we are considering as we have three days post cruise booked in Italy. But in order to get the official quarantine clock ticking, one may want to get an official test done sooner rather than later. The sooner that’s done, the sooner you can qualify for a certificate of recovery as many continue to test positive for weeks after. Not many can wait it out for potentially weeks waiting for a negative test (jobs, family, financially, etc). I know we can’t.

The article said the lady had a very brief amount to time (like only 10 min) to make arrangements and when she didn’t have any or couldn’t come up with any, that’s when she was taken to the government hotel. Moral of that story is to have a cancellable hotel reservation in place just in case. 

11 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

That’s certainly an option . One that we are considering as we have three days post cruise booked in Italy. But in order to get the official quarantine clock ticking, one may want to get an official test done sooner rather than later. The sooner that’s done, the sooner you can qualify for a certificate of recovery as many continue to test positive for weeks after. Not many can wait it out for potentially weeks waiting for a negative test (jobs, family, financially, etc). I know we can’t.

The article said the lady had a very brief amount to time (like only 10 min) to make arrangements and when she didn’t have any or couldn’t come up with any, that’s when she was taken to the government hotel. Moral of that story is to have a cancellable hotel reservation in place just in case. 

I would do a home test on each of the last 4 or 5 days of your trip. If one turns out to be positive, go immediately to a pharmacy to get an official test to start the clock running. If all are negative, you can be pretty confident that your official test to get back to the US will also be negative. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1