Runny noise gives 24 hours of isolation on Odyssey. Be warned.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:04 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

those antigen tests aren't always accurate, especially on the first day of being symptomatic

first day of being symptomatic:

Negative test could be wrong

Positive tests are very reliable.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:52 PM, MrMarc said:

I agree on the anecdotal, but there are many problems using your chart.  From not knowing to what extent masks were actually worn to under reporting of asymptomatic cases in anti mask populations.  The truth is we don't know if they work.  However we do know they reduce the air flow spreading the virus and we know they don't hurt.  It would have been nice if it had not gotten so polotical, but it did.  But then, you may be totally correct.

Rest assured, he is not correct.

In order for a positive case to be reported, you need to test.

20 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

There sure is! One-way masking with quality 95's has worked for decades in the medical field. Seat-belts, helmets and condoms also work if only one party wears them. It's called PPE for a reason. It seems more and more apparent that some just want everyone else to mask because they are uncomfortable not being part of the herd. Forcing everyone to wear face coverings at this point is ridiculous and will hurt the cruise lines, just as they are struggling to survive and finally have cruisers coming back in sufficient numbers. Then you have to factor in all the unvaccinated folks that would cruise but can't cruise on top of that. If they return to mask mandates and the passenger counts recoil again, it would be the death knell for the industry. It's probably best for all who love cruising to keep the mask optional option going, the entire industry may depend on it. None of us wants to see the lines go under. Get yourself some 95's, they are handing them out freely in every state in the USA and wear one if you believe it will keep you safer. Everyone should decide for themselves, it will help keep businesses (including cruise lines) open and keep jobs/demand. Mask mandates do the opposite. Choice is a good thing and groupthink isn't always the universal truth. Happy sailing!      

And you don't think the anti mask/vaccine is not an example of group think?  Only perfectly fitted n95 masks protect the wearer.  People wearing any type of mask reduce the amount of viral spread.  Reduce, not prevent.   That's why it only works if the vast majority are willing to do it.  In other words saying they are usless so you are not going to wear one is a self fulfilling prophecy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

And you don't think the anti mask/vaccine is not an example of group think?  Only perfectly fitted n95 masks protect the wearer.  People wearing any type of mask reduce the amount of viral spread.  Reduce, not prevent.   That's why it only works if the vast majority are willing to do it.  In other words saying they are usless so you are not going to wear one is a self fulfilling prophecy. 

No, I don't. Individualism and choice is not the same as forced/compelled behavior. They are the complete polar opposite and a lot of damage has been done by those in the groupthink who think their choices are superior to others, associate choice with a political position, assume those who choose not to wear a mask are anti vaccine and on and on. I hope people remember this, especially the youth, who were least at risk and last to have their personal choices restored/respected, and never forget the intolerance, name calling and belittling that has occurred when one side forced their will onto the other and ridiculed/shamed folks who didn't agree with them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Rest assured, he is not correct.

In order for a positive case to be reported, you need to test.

Take it up with The NY Times. It’s their chart. Funny how the only data that is inaccurate is data that doesn’t advance a specific narrative. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Except the data says they don’t. Hong Kong had one of the highest mask compliance ratios but still suffered one of the worst outbreaks. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Take it up with The NY Times. It’s their chart. Funny how the only data that is inaccurate is data that doesn’t advance a specific narrative. 

NY Times chart is correct.

Your interpretation is not.

No one claimed that data is inaccurate, did anyone?

Edited by hal2008

49 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Except the data says they don’t. Hong Kong had one of the highest mask compliance ratios but still suffered one of the worst outbreaks. 

Nothing to do with mask compliance. It has to do with local government choosing to administer subpar vacinne to its population for political reason.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:18 PM, BND said:

We've (DH&I) only worn masks when/where required since this whole thing started and we've never caught it.  The one family member who was the sickest and had to be hospitalized was the one who wore his mask all the time and never went anywhere lol.  And, he has not preexisting conditions.

And that proves what? I know many vaccinated who had it twice, the only person I know who was very sick the first AND second time never got vaccinated and never wore a mask. He’s 50, healthy guy. A little dim though.

9 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

No, I don't. Individualism and choice is not the same as forced/compelled behavior. They are the complete polar opposite and a lot of damage has been done by those in the groupthink who think their choices are superior to others, associate choice with a political position, assume those who choose not to wear a mask are anti vaccine and on and on. I hope people remember this, especially the youth, who were least at risk and last to have their personal choices restored/respected, and never forget the intolerance, name calling and belittling that has occurred when one side forced their will onto the other and ridiculed/shamed folks who didn't agree with them.

I agree, the term “sheep” and “go Brandon” come to mind.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:20 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

There's plenty of evidence that masks work ... when they're worn correctly, consistently and by everyone involved.  

We all know that anecdote is not the singular of data, but I personally avoided Covid in my classroom for a year and a half -- even before the vaccine was available.  The week after we went "mask optional", I caught Covid.  

While reading your anecdote everyone should remember the virus mutated during that year and a half.  It had become more transmissible when you caught it.  The risk of transmission/infection changed over time due to the nature of the virus even human behavior was unchanged.