Chef’s Table Suggestion

Hobby3333

33 minutes ago, crazyank said:

and exactly why did what they wore matter to you?  kinda seems like MYOB

At least it was only a dress that would make a Catholic school nun blush, and not a baseball cap!

I sure hope I never have to share a table with OP. I find it curious that OP is sure they were all under 36, that's very specific... But people singling out certain age groups sure is a boomer thing to do 😂

But really, age is a non factor. Some people are rude, some aren't.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, crazyank said:

and exactly why did what they wore matter to you?  kinda seems like MYOB

Well they were kicked out for their attire by the maitre d. He has the responsibility to the whole of passengers and not to a couple morons.

There is a line you don't cross. You obviously don't have any..I'm thankful you weren't in charge.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:35 PM, Hobby3333 said:

My wife, mother-in-law and I attended Chef’s Table last week on the Breeze.  There were 14 in the room with nine of the guests under the age of 36.   They were the rudest and loudest guests that I have ever seen at a dining experience.  One even said, I wish he (the chef) would just serve the food without the monologue.   They talked over the chef and I really felt bad for him as he explained the course.  My suggestion would be, when possible to place the younger guests together and the more mature guests together.  Then they could take all the selfies and talk to each other as much as they wish.   

I did the Chef's Table a week and a half ago on the Elation with my mother (I'm one of the youngins you speak of) and the problem for our dining were all the middle aged couples who scrunched up their noses, refused to eat, and made rude comments about the food. So it's not an age thing, it's a manners thing. If you were raised properly you know how to behave in a situation like this. I'm happy to say I was and thoroughly enjoyed my meal even if I was mostly surrounding by rude people (save for the elderly couple next to us who were a delight).

I think a lot of people don't understand what a tasting menu is and see a fancy "exclusive" option for not a whole lot of money (at least not compared to the tasting menus at the restaurants in the city I live) and decide to go for it not knowing what to expect.

Unfortunately when dealing with members of the public you just never know what you're going to get.

Edited by jamdizzle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csoud68 said:

There is a line you don't cross. You obviously don't have any..I'm thankful you weren't in charge.

First of all you know nothing whatsoever about me and whatever "lines" I may or may not have.

Second, you seem to want to enforce your "lines" on other people.  How someone is dressed is really a MYOB thing.  Glad we're not sailing with you.

Edited by crazyank

54 minutes ago, crazyank said:

First of all you know nothing whatsoever about me and whatever "lines" I may or may not have.

Second, you seem to want to enforce your "lines" on other people.  How someone is dressed is really a MYOB thing.  Glad we're not sailing with you.

Well, I'm sorry you weren't around to confront  the maitre d since he refused them service based on attire..

You could've told him to myob..and I could not care less if I know you. Buh bye🙄

We had a real "jerk" on the Radiance in January at the Chef's Table.  50+.  His wife seemed so embarrassed and every time she tried to talk, he "spoke" for her.  When he tried to speak over the Chef, the Chef just kept talking and would ignore him.  The poor gentleman next to me wanted to punch him within 5 minutes of being at the table.  But, after a few deep breaths, we just tried to ignore him and enjoy our own experience.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LRDR01 said:

We had a real "jerk" on the Radiance in January at the Chef's Table.  50+.  His wife seemed so embarrassed and every time she tried to talk, he "spoke" for her.  When he tried to speak over the Chef, the Chef just kept talking and would ignore him.  The poor gentleman next to me wanted to punch him within 5 minutes of being at the table.  But, after a few deep breaths, we just tried to ignore him and enjoy our own experience.  

Well speaking as a 50+ dude, if I ever tried to speak over my wife (consistently) she'd make sure I knew about it. Not sure I'd speak over the Chef, since it's supposed to be a learning experience for the diners. We generally do polite conversation, but most of the in-depth talking about a particular food item, we do to ourselves with the married nod and wink. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, jamdizzle said:

I did the Chef's Table a week and a half ago on the Elation with my mother (I'm one of the youngins you speak of) and the problem for our dining were all the middle aged couples who scrunched up their noses, refused to eat, and made rude comments about the food. So it's not an age thing, it's a manners thing. If you were raised properly you know how to behave in a situation like this. I'm happy to say I was and thoroughly enjoyed my meal even if I was mostly surrounding by rude people (save for the elderly couple next to us who were a delight).

I think a lot of people don't understand what a tasting menu is and see a fancy "exclusive" option for not a whole lot of money (at least not compared to the tasting menus at the restaurants in the city I live) and decide to go for it not knowing what to expect.

Unfortunately when dealing with members of the public you just never know what you're going to get.

Like myself, your parents educated you to conduct yourself with proper etiquette and show respect in a public setting. We owe our parents thanks daily for this... I try to remember to tell them from time to time "thank you" for being tough when you had to be. It is disappointing that so many have such disrespect for themselves to behave in unbecoming fashion when around strangers.

As I previously remarked in this thread, you correctly point out that Chef's Table is a unique offering by Carnival to enjoy a "tasting" experience at the third of land based prices.  

Well said!

Good night sweetheart it’s time to go.   If you choose Chefs Table I hope everyone enjoys it as we did the first two times.   I really didn’t mean to cause any controversy.   It is a great experience.   Cheers!

Recently got off the Breeze and we were sad that the CT was not offered and the Cucina del Capitano was closed.   The MDR offered 2 selections from the CdelC menu which helped.    We have always scheduled the CT whenever we cruise and have always enjoyed it.  There have been a few occasions when a guest complained about "not eating fish or beef" or being a "picky eater", but for the most-part, our experiences have been very positive.   Again, sad that they are not having them b/c of staffing issues but hope to be able to schedule the CT later in the year.

I’ve organized & done many chef’s  table on Princess for CC members & they have never gotten out of hand. Perhaps it’s because it’s an older crowd. 

I’m going to Alaska from San Francisco have signed up for the chef’s table. I’m aware the reputation on Carnival of a younger party crowd but I’m looking forward to a great meal. 

On Princess they ask if anyone has any food issues. Does Carnival do the same?

Anybody have any recent copies of the chef’s dinner?

Thanks!

Tom😀

9 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’ve organized & done many chef’s  table on Princess for CC members & they have never gotten out of hand. Perhaps it’s because it’s an older crowd. 

I’m going to Alaska from San Francisco have signed up for the chef’s table. I’m aware the reputation on Carnival of a younger party crowd but I’m looking forward to a great meal. 

On Princess they ask if anyone has any food issues. Does Carnival do the same?

Anybody have any recent copies of the chef’s dinner?

Thanks!

Tom😀

Let’s face it. Princess is likely to attract a more mature and higher class passenger in general. Carnival is your standard working class Walmart shopper which is fine but increases the chance of a participant who doesn’t anticipate or appreciate this kind of experience. 

Did a recent CT on Miracle, and they asked several times about food allergies.  One couple brought their teenage son, and it was obviously not for him.  Fortunately after two courses, he excused himself and went to the buffet.  They might do a little better job of setting expectations before people sign up and pay.  But, all in all, had a great time. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 3:13 PM, crazyank said:

Wow, enjoy being a Richard  much?

Edited by bucfan2

On 5/19/2022 at 2:57 AM, bgrmini said:

I sure hope I never have to share a table with OP. I find it curious that OP is sure they were all under 36, that's very specific... But people singling out certain age groups sure is a boomer thing to do 😂

"A boomer thing to do".  I won't deny that the older I get, the more I err when judging younger people's ages, but was it intentional on your part, to do the same thing as the OP by painting Boomers -also a certain age group -with a wide brush?   

55 minutes ago, Silent Penguin said:

"A boomer thing to do".  I won't deny that the older I get, the more I err when judging younger people's ages, but was it intentional on your part, to do the same thing as the OP by painting Boomers -also a certain age group -with a wide brush?   

Hmm, must be different because that post deserved a comment and the original didn't. If they were the same wouldn't you have been upset at both of them?

4 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

Yes it was intentional, hence the emoji. It's ridiculous to stereotype like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never had the opportunity to join a chef's table on any line.  I take it that the food served at a chef's table is of a higher caliber than what is offered in the dining room?  

The last CT I attended there was a large family group took up most of the space at the table. At first I was annoyed at their family chatter, but I kind of forced myself to just have fun and delight in their delight. It worked, I started to talk to the mom and dad and learned so much about their family and home town. I had to change me instead of them. It turned out OK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RollingMeadows said:

The last CT I attended there was a large family group took up most of the space at the table. At first I was annoyed at their family chatter, but I kind of forced myself to just have fun and delight in their delight. It worked, I started to talk to the mom and dad and learned so much about their family and home town. I had to change me instead of them. 

I love this post.   I find the rewards in life are abundant when we have that attitude.  While I can't see how the OP's situation was salvagable, most situations are.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:14 AM, KmomChicago said:

Perhaps a chef’s table express option, and maybe also a party experience option rather than an arbitrary separation based on demographics that are probably unrelated to behavior and demeanor. 

I’m not really joking here. Different nights of the cruise could host different versions of CT. We’d dislike the entitled or obnoxious boisterous fellow guests, but a compressed timeline with shorter commentary and spacing between courses would make sense for some.

I understand your dissatisfaction at having to endure loud, rude, mouthy, participants. Endured that at an upscale restaurant when taking my parents out to dinner. We even asked the staff if they could talk to the party  and ask them to tone it down…that lasted 3 minutes. Those people absolutely ruined our nice dinner.  Too bad the host of the CT wouldn’t stare down the noise-makers.  Teach them a lesson in manners. If that had been my CT experience and the host wouldn’t address the disturbance, then I’d be a Guest Services asking for a refund. 

• Like 1