Spirit August 24-31 2022 Alaska

First time cruiser, going solo. Excited beyond words! My adult daughter thought it would be helpful for me to register here to gain insight. I have learned so much from reading thru this forum the last few weeks and will continue to do so. Just wanted to give a huge thank you to you all for so much info & tips! I hope to be one day as "cruise savvy" as so many of you are!

• Like 3

Welcome, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Alaska is beautiful, and having that as your first cruise will be amazing. 

My advice would be to purchase any excursions you want in advance, as many do sell out. You can always cancel them onboard for a refund (as long as you cancel at least 24 hrs in advance. 

Edited by Wanna_Cruize
hints
  • Like 1

Thank you Wanna_Cruize for the welcome! When I booked I did purchase both Taku Lodge/Seaplane and White Pass Summit train. In Ketchikan I plan to hike Lunch Creek and/or Ward Creek trails, either myself or possibly with a local guide. I'm not sure if we can ask about specific local tour guides, but I'm wondering if anyone has any info on Wild Wolf Tours?

10 hours ago, firstjourney said:

Thank you Wanna_Cruize for the welcome! When I booked I did purchase both Taku Lodge/Seaplane and White Pass Summit train. In Ketchikan I plan to hike Lunch Creek and/or Ward Creek trails, either myself or possibly with a local guide. I'm not sure if we can ask about specific local tour guides, but I'm wondering if anyone has any info on Wild Wolf Tours?

If you haven't been yet, I suggest you go over to the Alaska boards.  You'll get more specific information there on questions concerning tours.  We'll be on the Spirit mid July, doing the same cruise! Can't wait!

4 hours ago, scrotser said:

If you haven't been yet, I suggest you go over to the Alaska boards.  You'll get more specific information there on questions concerning tours.  We'll be on the Spirit mid July, doing the same cruise! Can't wait!

We're on this cruise as well!  We first cruised for our honeymoon and it was then that my husband said he wanted to cruise to Alaska, that was 29 years ago and he's finally getting his Alaska cruise for our anniversary! Super excited and nervous (we're from Arizona and I'm afraid I'll be too cold for 8 days straight 🤣) for this experience!

I just finished 8 days on the Splendor solo and loved it. It was my 3rd cruise to Alaska and I would go again tomorrow. 

If your cruise is going to Tracy Arm Fjord, I recommend the small boat tour from the ship. It will get you much closer to the glaciers and is a different perspective being at water level. The excursion usually sells out, so book early. It was actually listed under Seattle excursions on my cruise, not Tracy Arm Fjord. 

94606CA2-AFA4-42A4-A9CF-7FC215AACACE.jpeg

0C75507E-AA32-4F85-9425-D06E4A487BDE.jpeg

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

What JT1962 said! We just got back from NCL encore and did Glacier Bay, but if you do the excursion on the Tracy Arm Fjord they will take you right up to the glaciers. It’s amazing! I got a GREAT deal so my granddaughter and I are going on the Spirit on June 29 and have that excursion already booked.  We also did the train up to the border. The mountains….. so beautiful. I’m from Oregon so no stranger to mountains but WOW. 

Our family of the 3 of us will be going on this cruise. First time back cruising since Sept of 2019 to Alaska. It should be a nice time. Haven't been on a Carnival Cruise since I was on a Bloggers Cruise with JH on the Glory... so it has been awhile! First Carnival cruise to Alaska.

We love going to Alaska usually go on NCL, but have done Disney a couple of times. 

We are looking for a nice time on this cruise... Enjoy Alaska!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 10:11 PM, firstjourney said:

First time cruiser, going solo. Excited beyond words! My adult daughter thought it would be helpful for me to register here to gain insight. I have learned so much from reading thru this forum the last few weeks and will continue to do so. Just wanted to give a huge thank you to you all for so much info & tips! I hope to be one day as "cruise savvy" as so many of you are!

One BIG tip...bring a pair of binoculars!!!  With binoculars, you might be able to see whales ( look for the water spouts out in the distance), spectacular waterfalls that loo small from the ship, but HUGE via binoculars, and not to mention the very blue colors of any glaciers/ice floats.  I was on Spirt in Mid May, but we did not get to see Saywer Glacer in Tracy Arm.  Too many ice floats were blocking the entrance.  Find a great spot in the Buffet dining room to get a birds eye view of the passage they Tracy Arm.  

• 2 months later...

Hello. I am not on this cruise in August, but I just booked one this morning on the Spirit for another sailing. I have a question for anyone familiar with the Spirit. I booked cabin 6171, and on my booking it says that it is an interior with an obstructed view floor to ceiling window. How can that be if it is in the interior of the ship? 

27 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Spirit. I booked cabin 6171, and on my booking it says that it is an interior with an obstructed view floor to ceiling window. How can that be if it is in the interior of the ship? 

It is in error! Someone pasted the wrong description in.

The "obstructed view floor to ceiling window" cabins are on deck 4 behind lifeboats and tenders. They used to open and were called French Doors, but they no longer open, hence big window with obstructed view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I booked cabin 6171

6171 does not have any windows. As crystalspin said above, that description does not match. Here is the correct description for cabin 6171 on the Carnival Spirit:

Cabin 6171        4D             185 sq ft = 17.19 sq meters
Beds: two twin beds (convert to king)                                               
View: no window or balcony
Bathroom: shower-toilet-sink   
Features: flat-screen TV, telephone, 110 AC current, individual climate control, hair dryer, safe, non-stocked mini bar unit, 3-closets, desk and ottoman seat
Note: door opens to face 6173

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

It is in error! Someone pasted the wrong description in.

The "obstructed view floor to ceiling window" cabins are on deck 4 behind lifeboats and tenders. They used to open and were called French Doors, but they no longer open, hence big window with obstructed view.

Thank you. I suspect, as well, that it was an error on their part.