Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 20

Pictures taken between Monday, May 16 and Sunday, May 22

Did you see something worth photographing? Why not share it?

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Sorry for the delay pinning this week, how did it get to be Friday so fast?  🙃

Never knew that's how that cactus looks IRL, 🤩, where it's evidently a creeper/crawler, and so much lovelier than in captivity 😂 (aka the city window pots I've seen them in). Thanks for sharing!

Happy weekend everyone!

2 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Sorry for the delay pinning this week, how did it get to be Friday so fast?  🙃

Never knew that's how that cactus looks IRL, 🤩, where it's evidently a creeper/crawler, and so much lovelier than in captivity 😂 (aka the city window pots I've seen them in). Thanks for sharing!

Happy weekend everyone!

I first saw it last year and when looking from a different angle this time discovered that it actually does sit in a nice glazed black pot (if you look very closely you may spot the shining bits). 

• Like 1

Happy Democracy Sausage Day (21/5/22).

Well, really federal election day. As many of the polling places are in schools, the Parents and Friends organise sausage sizzles as fundraisers. Thin beef sausages, cooked on a grill, put enveloped in  1 slice of white bread. Grilled onions, tomato sauce or mustard optional.

First image is the school where I voted, Williamstown High School junior campus. We don't have a junior high school system.

Sausage sizzles at Bayside High School, and Williamstown Primary School. Lastly, some scrutineers ensuring all is above board. I went past 5 school sites hosting pollig places, only 2 had sausages.

DemSausage2.thumb.jpg.d595a63b6785b48ef9adbcfaf866e674.jpg

Demsausage4.thumb.jpg.b4a3faa1a5ba264aa3d319c40c06bbd1.jpg

DemSausage1.thumb.jpg.dfd740fcf6b701fb12befd3252c6ec68.jpg

Demsausage6.thumb.jpg.7aad913d340e5fa28d4df1b1427716bc.jpg

• Like 7

Ok, Saturday was Election Day and now we have a new government. 
Sunday was a camera club outing to Mt Macedon — a 1000m high dormant volcano about 70km out of Melbourne. Focus on fungi

8233F1BC-9585-4852-9989-08886BD4DEFD.thumb.jpeg.58200729fb15a7f5e8e723c7aba7abfc.jpeg

2BA8D252-5D3D-4FB7-9D56-949CA6BAB580.thumb.jpeg.1d71027e482fdf75b707773766e9455e.jpeg

22A54B3F-C1EC-41D3-A69C-A209C08B9DD3.thumb.jpeg.c9b1160cbf99be1f1add490c0d74f575.jpeg

• Like 7

Some shots from a 3 day road trip to Northern Michigan (Traverse City area)673355170_Field(1of1).thumb.jpg.94d1a7ee507557a142ad732fb86533cc.jpg

Cherry blossoms

1027496363_Cherryblossoms(1of1).thumb.jpg.01b7c7693618aa57c04e385c481ad02a.jpg

Tree with ornate bench

1063016910_Treeandbench(1of1).thumb.jpg.c393b9eae1b2a062bed840b14ecfd630.jpg

View from dinner table

1138636293_Viewfromtable(1of1).thumb.jpg.8a5a0a53d235cabb783abe6589225d7d.jpg

Sunset with swans- momma has a couple of kids on her back

527991558_Sunsetswan(1of1).thumb.jpg.d2f931fbada558692f935afc8fceb9c5.jpg

Distant paddle-boarder at sunset

80653578_Paddleboardsunset(1of1).thumb.jpg.020c6f0838e6f0384f669bffc93586fc.jpg

Small "cruise ships"?

1666444425_Yacht(1of1).thumb.jpg.126bb5248a451ea5fcb09aae96f5d7fc.jpg

Norris

• Like 6

Consequences. Remember those? When somebody did something bad, there were consequences. When you slipped up in front of Mom or Dad and blurted out one of those words you learned at school, you tasted soap for the rest of the day. When you acted out in class, you got to visit the principal for a refresher course in acceptable human behavior. When you looted a store during a riot, you were arrested and spent time in jail to consider your chosen life path. In hockey, when your grandson performs a check that the ref considers excessive (maybe unintentional?), he spends a few minutes in the penalty box. It’s nice to see that youth sports still enforces its rules and teaches kids to respect those rules...or else! 

Consequences

137533269_2022-20Consequences.thumb.jpg.f118c14e5f24348edca425029d8c596b.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

Back to the very hot, very humid wetlands - summer is here, so it's getting to our nasty weather time.  But at least the bird wildlife hasn't left yet.  Here's some of the action from Saturday...

A juvenile red-shouldered hawk hanging out across from its nest - now knowing how to fly, but still not ready to stray too far away:

original.jpg

This very brave, or very stupid, leucistic pigeon decided to fly over and land in the tree just above the young hawk:

original.jpg

The juvenile hawk decided to lunge for the pigeon - but fortunately for the pigeon, he wasn't very skilled yet at hunting and the pigeon got away pretty easily:

original.jpg

A moorhen momma feeding her chick:

original.jpg

Red-winged blackbird mom bringing a mouthful of bugs to its newly hatched chicks:

original.jpg

The once almost extinct atala butterflies are emerging from their chrysalises this time of year - this one looked like one of the adults who had layed eggs a few months back:

original.jpg

There will soon be many more - lots of chrysalises all over the coontie plants:

original.jpg

This common gallinule is a juvenile - still grey in color rather than the full black coat...yet it had already had chicks of its own - the bird equivalent of a teen mom!  But she was doing a very good job of feeding and caring for her chicks:

original.jpg

A beautiful male least bittern backlit by the sun:

original.jpg

An adorable baby marsh rabbit bunny:

original.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Been a member of CC since like forever, and wasn't aware of this Photography forum.  So I'll post a shot or two here once in a while.   

There is a tree right outside my door where Night Herons nest every year. This year there were about 10 different nests.  An old-timer in the neighborhood told me they've been coming to that tree for at least 20 years.  The babies are out & about, but still near the nest.548312696_NightHerons(1of2).thumb.jpg.8c7b5ec97953784ab86d18c8f47565f0.jpg

NightHerons (2 of 2).jpg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, gwesq said:

Been a member of CC since like forever, and wasn't aware of this Photography forum.  So I'll post a shot or two here once in a while.   

We're glad you found us here! Spread the word when you have an opportunity, whether on board or on other forums. Some cool people here, and really awesome images, speaking of...

Wow, great shot of the Night Heron, though it doesn't look so much like a White Heron, but then all I know of birds is pigeons and sparrows, plus the random Blue Jay or Cardinal, which is rare. I'm a native of NYC and that's about all we had, though to hear the Central Park birders... they find all sorts of things. It seems those birds didn't come to the neighborhoods of Queens and Brooklyn, can't say I blame them, good Manhattan location and all... but I digress. 

The other images kind of give me a Birds the movie feeling, though if they're babies, I guess they're waiting for their parents in order to be fed. What that means is it's a great capture because you conjured up a feeling with this one! Also, the feeling with the look on the solo bird all has this feeling of, Not really sure what's going on right now and/or whatcha looking at? Love them both. 🤩

(Also feel like if it were in black and white, image #2, it could be from a western or horror movie, hungry vultures ready to descend/feed... and yes, I would believe they're vultures because again, how would I know they're not? They look scary to me! 😂)

Thanks for posting and welcome!

4 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

We're glad you found us here! Spread the word when you have an opportunity, whether on board or on other forums. Some cool people here, and really awesome images, speaking of...

Wow, great shot of the Night Heron, though it doesn't look so much like a White Heron, but then all I know of birds is pigeons and sparrows, plus the random Blue Jay or Cardinal, which is rare. I'm a native of NYC and that's about all we had, though to hear the Central Park birders... they find all sorts of things. It seems those birds didn't come to the neighborhoods of Queens and Brooklyn, can't say I blame them, good Manhattan location and all... but I digress. 

The other images kind of give me a Birds the movie feeling, though if they're babies, I guess they're waiting for their parents in order to be fed. What that means is it's a great capture because you conjured up a feeling with this one! Also, the feeling with the look on the solo bird all has this feeling of, Not really sure what's going on right now and/or whatcha looking at? Love them both. 🤩

(Also feel like if it were in black and white, image #2, it could be from a western or horror movie, hungry vultures ready to descend/feed... and yes, I would believe they're vultures because again, how would I know they're not? They look scary to me! 😂)

Thanks for posting and welcome!

They sort of DO look like they'reready to pounce - but they're fine (unless your car is parked under that tree!)

NightHeronsBW (2 of 2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 12:34 PM, pierces said:

In hockey, when your grandson performs a check

It is ice hockey though? Two minutes or Five? Forward or Winger? Great uniform colors 🙂 They are moving pretty quickly, you slide into someone unintentionally... sort of 😉 happens.

But I recall your son is a pastor, and I understand checking is handled a lot differently pre-college, or even during? Definitely don't want anyone getting seriously, intentionally injured, and so much more is understood about safety etc. 

I remember what I'd see as a very young hockey fan at MSG when they didn't even wear helmets (though it was the beginning of wearing helmets) 😱 which was alarming at times, but mostly when the Flyers came to town. They started. Seems better now, kind of? (Let's go Rangers!)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gwesq said:

They sort of DO look like they'reready to pounce - but they're fine (unless your car is parked under that tree!)

NightHeronsBW (2 of 2).jpg

Ooh thanks for doing the monochrome, and yes, kind of creepy 😱, so if someone had a low budget for making a horror film, couldn't get out west, but needed some dramatic b-roll for their film or a promo poster, this would do very well for a noir-ish vibe. 

Loving those grey tones very much too!! 😍

But oh goodness, I hadn't thought of the cars... pigeons make enough of a mess!! 😱

Some more pics from Michigan road trip...

Birch Lake, near Elk Rapids

484248715_BirchLake(1of1).thumb.jpg.0afecdbd3b50d43bc961405f83b9fb2b.jpg

Birch Lake picnic table

1193817907_BirchLakePicnicTable(1of1).thumb.jpg.bfae335348cc49bd8e99cc2280e141c4.jpg

Charlevoix-on Lake Michigan

1676283936_Charlevoix(1of1).thumb.jpg.0352b4f7b5b7a1bf4f7ccda63a346717.jpg

Old Mission Lighthouse on 45th Parallel

202195602_Lighthouse(1of1).thumb.jpg.e8f41b1cb8a6256d834093310d772e5a.jpg

Norris

• Like 4

On 5/26/2022 at 3:14 PM, Host Bonjour said:

It is ice hockey though? Two minutes or Five? Forward or Winger? Great uniform colors 🙂 They are moving pretty quickly, you slide into someone unintentionally... sort of 😉 happens.

But I recall your son is a pastor, and I understand checking is handled a lot differently pre-college, or even during? Definitely don't want anyone getting seriously, intentionally injured, and so much more is understood about safety etc. 

I remember what I'd see as a very young hockey fan at MSG when they didn't even wear helmets (though it was the beginning of wearing helmets) 😱 which was alarming at times, but mostly when the Flyers came to town. They started. Seems better now, kind of? (Let's go Rangers!)

Until attending his first game, I had never watched an actual hockey game other than brief highlights on the news. So while I can confirm that he had a stick, ice skates, and a helmet, I can't provide much else other than it is because our daughter married a Kings fan that we now have hockey in the family.😁

Fun to watch, though.

Dave

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pierces said:

our daughter married a Kings fan that we now have hockey in the family.😁

Well, the good news is that yes, there's hockey in the family now, because yes it's fun, keeps the blood pumping. The so-so news, the Kings? (There was this double-over time loss to the Kings in 2012 that is still painful...son-in-law would remember well...)

I'm not sure many people get into hockey (especially in SoCal!) unless someone introduces one to it, outside of growing up in a cold climate, Canada, Scandinavia, etc., no ice, no hockey 😉

I was introduced to it at a young age (family had Ranger season tickets), where we have one of the original six hockey teams,  no frozen ponds in the city, but north enough to start up a team. 🙂

Bringing it back to photography, every year the team had a photo day where season ticket holders were invited to come to the Garden and the players would come out in uniform so people could take photos rink-side. It was exciting. I dropped one of my flashcubes on the ice (all I had as a kid was a Kodak X15) and a popular defense man scooped it up for me, and I got a better photo. Fun day. 📷

2 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Well, the good news is that yes, there's hockey in the family now, because yes it's fun, keeps the blood pumping. The so-so news, the Kings? 

📷

Deeply Kings fans are the in-laws. Son-in-law's uncle is an executive in a company that is a direct sponsor of the King's venue and that led to our daughter being able to impart a ritual kiss on the Stanley Cup when it made a brief stop at the uncle's house between the airport and the stadium after their 2014 win. No photos allowed! (Dang it!)

Deeply.

Dave

Edited by pierces