2 tests to board in Athens?

kristapb

5 hours ago, uktraveller said:

Mrmatt… we are booked on the Journey sailing from Athens on the 26th.  We have cancelled our (expensive) PCR test appointment and decided to go for an antigen in Athens the day before for 2 reasons…

Firstly, someone posted last week that their 72 PCR was not accepted on the May 17th Pursuit departure from Athens because it was older than 24 hrs, quoting Greek government guidelines.

Secondly, there is a very clear statement on the Princess website specific to Greece departures which says, because of Greek government guidelines,  both PCR or antigen tests must be dated on the day before departure. 

That was enough to convince us that an antigen test in Athens is the way to go. 

Where are you getting tested in Athens please ?  We do not sail until August (plenty of time for requirements to change) but thought I would log some addresses of testing locations now (also did you book ahead?) 

Thanks so much for any help 

27 minutes ago, suewheldon said:

Has anyone successfully boarded in Piraeus with a three day PCR test? New info from Azamara confirms this is OK but people saying this is an issue. 

If you read the whole thread, you would see that a number of cruisers had their PCR test results rejected at Piraeus - so YES, it has been and likely will be again an issue in Piraeus.

6 hours ago, uktraveller said:

Mrmatt… we are booked on the Journey sailing from Athens on the 26th.  We have cancelled our (expensive) PCR test appointment and decided to go for an antigen in Athens the day before for 2 reasons…

Firstly, someone posted last week that their 72 PCR was not accepted on the May 17th Pursuit departure from Athens because it was older than 24 hrs, quoting Greek government guidelines.

Secondly, there is a very clear statement on the Princess website specific to Greece departures which says, because of Greek government guidelines,  both PCR or antigen tests must be dated on the day before departure. 

That was enough to convince us that an antigen test in Athens is the way to go. 

I saw that post you mentioned regarding pursuit and don't blame you for not taking any chances. I'd do the same.

I had a look for the princess statement you  mentioned. Could you share where it was?

I doesn't make much sense. If you don't need a test of any sort to enter Greece, why on earth would they insist on a PCR to board a ship and leave!

8 hours ago, Piaa said:

Where are you getting tested in Athens please ?  We do not sail until August (plenty of time for requirements to change) but thought I would log some addresses of testing locations now (also did you book ahead?) 

Thanks so much for any help 

We are staying at the Electra Metropolis Hotel, they have someone doing tests everyday between 11.30 and 1.30. No appointment necessary and 10euro for an antigen test. 

Recent cruisers have used pharmacies in Athens, again no appointment, for around 7-8 euro. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, les37b said:

I saw that post you mentioned regarding pursuit and don't blame you for not taking any chances. I'd do the same.

I had a look for the princess statement you  mentioned. Could you share where it was?

I doesn't make much sense. If you don't need a test of any sort to enter Greece, why on earth would they insist on a PCR to board a ship and leave!

image.thumb.jpeg.d6287ea0d8058d08773e899af45a967b.jpeg
This is the statement under COVID testing requirements for European cruises on the Princess website.

Interesting...... Complimentary antigen test. Azamarazing that!

I have searched for anything on this and apart from the post we both saw, this the the only thing - and in genuinely doesn't make sense. I could completely understand if it was disembarking (which we had to do several times in South America in Jan.) But boarding! There is no logic at all.

Thanks for sharing.

Luckily, my sailing is from Lisbon and Portugal doesn't need any tests..... Unless anyone knows any different!

Edited by les37b

I found the following on another web site. The link may be useful:

Rapid Antigen Test

Effective from 29 April 2022, Everyone traveling with us must arrive with their own COVID-19 Rapid Antigen negative test certificate. This will need to be taken on the day before embarkation for all guests ages 6 years and over. Please note self-tests will not be accepted. Celestyal Cruises has partnered with Bioiatriki which provides tests for just €10 per person at locations across Athens and Thessaloniki 7 days a week.

4 hours ago, uktraveller said:

We are staying at the Electra Metropolis Hotel, they have someone doing tests everyday between 11.30 and 1.30. No appointment necessary and 10euro for an antigen test. 

Recent cruisers have used pharmacies in Athens, again no appointment, for around 7-8 euro. 

Thank you so much - we are staying at the Electra Palace - may I ask how you found out that the hotel is doing testing (I hope the EP is as well and I looked on the website but didn't see anything)  Thanks again 

Edited by Piaa

33 minutes ago, Piaa said:

Thank you so much - we are staying at the Electra Palace - may I ask how you found out that the hotel is doing testing (I hope the EP is as well and I looked on the website but didn't see anything)  Thanks again 

It was mentioned on their website, but we dropped them an email to confirm the cost and to ask whether we needed to book an appointment.  They responded quickly and were very helpful.  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:58 AM, kristapb said:

I just completed online checkin for my June 4 Athens to Ravenna (Venice) cruise, and a popup tells me we have to bring test results from a test within the last day, and ALSO take a complimentary test prior to boarding!  Has anyone else gotten this?  Nor a problem for us, but surprising.

It was accompanied by pictures, but I switched to plain text as it took up too much room.

Be ready to board

Review our health and safety protocols.

Vaccination Requirement

All guests must be fully vaccinated and boosted to sail with Azamara. Vaccinated guests must bring their original COVID-19 vaccination record card. Minors of any age who are not vaccinated will not be allowed to sail.

Health protocols

Pre-Arrival Testing Guests will be welcome to embark after presenting proof of a negative COVID-19 test at the embarkation port. Negative test results must be from a test laboratory or a licensed testing site. At-home or self-testing kits without a test certificate are not accepted. Guests without proof of a negative COVID-19 test may purchase an antigen test at the embarkation port for $59 USD or a PCR test for $85 USD. Be sure to look into local health authority or government travel advice regarding any requirements for the country/port of embarkation, as well as requirements for the return to your own home country. For more information, please use available travel platforms such as Travel Sherpa.

Departure Testing

All guests 6 months and older are required to take an antigen test 24 hours before debarkation conducted by the onboard medical staff. Registration details will be provided onboard.

Sail day testing

All guests must complete a complimentary antigen test for COVID-19 at the terminal prior to boarding. It's important to register for this test before you arrive. Registration details will be emailed in advance.

We got the same as two separate pop-ups with regard to health information for our June 17 cruise. I feel like they have not updated their website to reflect the fact that they are no longer paying for the test…

3 hours ago, uktraveller said:

It was mentioned on their website, but we dropped them an email to confirm the cost and to ask whether we needed to book an appointment.  They responded quickly and were very helpful.  

Thank you so much 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, uktraveller said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d6287ea0d8058d08773e899af45a967b.jpeg
This is the statement under COVID testing requirements for European cruises on the Princess website.

I've asked this question elsewhere and there is something on the Silversea website, also saying a test is required for embarkation in EU countries. It says it must be an Antigen test within 24 hours and CAN be a home test with verification (I assume that means video call).

So many conflicts of information. Pity nothing official is seen on a country website specifying it. CL as we've seen often gets info wrong and doesn't update their website.

So while this thread is specifically for Greece, it throws into doubt the validity of a PCR and a PCR older than 24 hours

Mine sails from Lisbon in 3 weeks and frankly its questionable if the only reason for the email sent a couple of weeks ago was just to say, Azamara will test and cost you $59. It seems clear the PCR instruction (at least for Greece) is wrong. 

22 minutes ago, les37b said:

I've asked this question elsewhere and there is something on the Silversea website, also saying a test is required for embarkation in EU countries. It says it must be an Antigen test within 24 hours and CAN be a home test with verification (I assume that means video call).

So many conflicts of information. Pity nothing official is seen on a country website specifying it. CL as we've seen often gets info wrong and doesn't update their website.

So while this thread is specifically for Greece, it throws into doubt the validity of a PCR and a PCR older than 24 hours

Mine sails from Lisbon in 3 weeks and frankly its questionable if the only reason for the email sent a couple of weeks ago was just to say, Azamara will test and cost you $59. It seems clear the PCR instruction (at least for Greece) is wrong. 

I haven’t read anything about other countries requiring the test to be no older than the day before embarkation, hopefully this will become clearer as we get further into the European season.

I hope you find an inexpensive antigen test provider in Lisbon, so you aren’t left paying the overly expensive $59 at the port.

We fly Tuesday and board, hopefully, on Thursday. I will report back on our experience. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, uktraveller said:

I haven’t read anything about other countries requiring the test to be no older than the day before embarkation, hopefully this will become clearer as we get further into the European season.

I hope you find an inexpensive antigen test provider in Lisbon, so you aren’t left paying the overly expensive $59 at the port.

We fly Tuesday and board, hopefully, on Thursday. I will report back on our experience. 

That would be appreciated.

Do you think it's just Greece disqualifying PCRs older than 24 hours? If it's the whole the EU, Azamara need to update their instructions or be specific if it's a different country need.

I've not made an appointment for a PCR before I leave London, but I'm sure as hell not paying out 2 X £79 for a test that can't be used in Lisbon a day later and then have to fork out for another.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, les37b said:

That would be appreciated.

Do you think it's just Greece disqualifying PCRs older than 24 hours? If it's the whole the EU, Azamara need to update their instructions or be specific if it's a different country need.

I've not made an appointment for a PCR before I leave London, but I'm sure as hell not paying out 2 X £79 for a test that can't be used in Lisbon a day later and then have to fork out for another.

On the Princess website they only highlighted Greece as having special rules re test timing, so hopefully that’s the case. 

Absolutely not worth paying out in the region of £150 for 2 x PCR tests if you’re not 100% sure they’ll be accepted…..even if Azamara offers you a complimentary test because their info was inaccurate!

• Like 1

Every cruise line has their own rules. As of a few days ago Azamara were quite specific on pre arrival testing (see comment #18) either one day antigen or three day PCR.  In fact Blue Star Ferries issued the following a few days ago. Apart from wearing a mask, no vaccination or testing required. 

We would like to inform you that according to
Government Gazette 2369/B/14-05-22, for the
movement of passengers, it is no longer required to
present - demonstrate documents proving the
vaccination against coronavirus COVID-19, the
recovery from the disease or a negative laboratory
test result after coronavirus COVID- 19 testing.
The use of a protective mask is mandatory in all
indoor public passenger areas. If a passenger does
not wear a mask, he will not be allowed to board. 

• Like 1

As far as I have been able to ascertain, Greece is the only EU country insisting on an antigen test (and, in this case, including PCR) within 24 hours of embarkation.

Boarded Journey yesterday.  The staff are so pleased to see us and the feeling is mutual 😄.

It’s going to be a fabulous trip.

On the subject of testing for departures from Athens….

the first question you are asked as you arrive outside the terminal is “do you have a negative result from a test taken in the last 24 hours?”

In our case the answer was yes, so the paperwork was checked and we were given a pink wristband. We then went fairly quickly to checkin. There were many people without wristbands in a waiting area, presumably for tests or results. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, harrodsfan said:

And yet on the azamara web site it says that tests aren’t required if you are vaccinated??? 

The Azamara requirement page ( Explore Well at Sea ) has several tabs. The first one , Preparing For Your Cruise, is the requirement for entering Greece ,which is only to be vaccinated if you don’t want to take a test.  then if you click on the second tab, Boarding, that one is the requirement to board the ship, which is a negative Covid test.  Travelling these days is not for the faint of heart 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vslparis said:

The Azamara requirement page ( Explore Well at Sea ) has several tabs. The first one , Preparing For Your Cruise, is the requirement for entering Greece ,which is only to be vaccinated if you don’t want to take a test.  then if you click on the second tab, Boarding, that one is the requirement to board the ship, which is a negative Covid test.  Travelling these days is not for the faint of heart 😉

Actually that describes what I would call a well-organized website.  Life is complicated, so Azamara can't make their explanations over-simple...

On 5/22/2022 at 7:10 AM, Piaa said:

We are also staying at the Electra Palace but their testing times at their sister property will not work for us.  They recommended Homed which does a rapid antigen test and is open 24/7 . We plan to stop off there first thing in the morning , get tested and continue on with our tour that day. It is about a 5 minute walk from the Electra Palace. No appointment necessary, 10€ for rapid antigen.