Open Dining on Queen Anne

Poole Boy

19 minutes ago, schattenfell71 said:

But why is a first or second seating option available also when you could go anytime?

Fixed seating is quite popular with many guests. One has the same table, the same waiters and sommelier, and the same group of fellow guests each evening.

Advantages, if so desired, may include:

One's wine is already waiting.

The waiters quickly learn about your preferences, allergies or any other needs and wants.

One can build up a closer relationship to fellow guests and have more meaningful conversations.

Everybody is on the same schedule, no coming and going of guests all the time.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Everybody is on the same schedule, no coming and going of guests all the time.

Just to be clear as this has confused others in the past, with flexible seating you still start and finish the meal together with your table companions (unless they run off but that could happen with fixed dining!)

The difference is that the your table companions will likely be different every meal and all of the valid points @carlmm mentioned.

• Like 2

Anytime for us every time that has always been a down side to Cunard compared to other cruise lines unless you are in Club or above then the only option is fixed dining. I want to eat when I want and it could vary day by day and not when it suits Cunard best 6pm is too early for us and 8-30pm too late.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Anytime for us every time that has always been a down side to Cunard compared to other cruise lines unless you are in Club or above then the only option is fixed dining. I want to eat when I want and it could vary day by day and not when it suits Cunard best 6pm is too early for us and 8-30pm too late.

That's Ideal if you are couple and enjoy your own company on a table for two. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

That's Ideal if you are couple and enjoy your own company on a table for two. 

not necessarily as you can share with other anytimers. If you make new friends on the cruise who are also anytimers then you can also eat with them on some nights when your schedules match. Fully understand the comments regarding same waiters and tracking down your wine etc.. but for new people seeking advice then there are some pros to anytime along with the already mentioned cons.

3 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

not necessarily as you can share with other anytimers. If you make new friends on the cruise who are also anytimers then you can also eat with them on some nights when your schedules match. Fully understand the comments regarding same waiters and tracking down your wine etc.. but for new people seeking advice then there are some pros to anytime along with the already mentioned cons.

Last week on our QM2 Crossing, we did see  groups of 4-6 of Anytimers coming out of the Chart Room and eating together in the MDR.

Jack 

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Last week on our QM2 Crossing, we did see  groups of 4-6 of Anytimers coming out of the Chart Room and eating together in the MDR.

Jack 

I suppose there is no way to know whether they were groups travelling together or groups of new friends, perhaps who had dined together the previous night.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I suppose there is no way to know whether they were groups travelling together or groups of new friends, perhaps who had dined together the previous night.

exlondoner,

There was group of 6 Anytimes who came in around 7:30-7:45 each night as we were finishing up. They sat 2 tables away from us. It was the same 6 people and they seemed to get the same window table every night. I couldn't tell if they knew each other before the voyage or not. However, as I said in my trip report, getting the same table and coming in a little early  for the Anytime dining was probably only possible because of the reduced passenger load. 

Jack

• Like 1

8 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Exactly how we feel. Our next cruise on Elizabeth we have late seating at 8.30. 
We much prefer open dining and usually dine between 7.15 and 7.45. Last December we had open seating on Elizabeth and were able to have the same table for 2 at our preferred time. We would be very happy if Cunard reviewed the rules and allowed us the choice of fixed or open dining. 

• Like 2